Week 8: Wheelersburg vs Waverly

scott1297
All Conference

Re: Week 8: Wheelersburg vs Waverly

Post by scott1297 »

wobycat wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:35 pm I think burg has to play Waverly man up and take their chances on a couple of deep bombs. Hopefully that will put a little pressure on the QB and protect the inside zone runs.

Offensively I believe burg can move the ball on the ground. The line play has gotten better and #2 rb is looking a little like he did last year he’s had a slow start this year
I agree about Burgs rb #2 he has been hampered by an ankle injury suffered in week 1 against Ironton he missed the next 3 games and hasn't played much in game 5 or 6 but game 7 was the most time he played since week 1 so hopefully he is almost back to 100%

Burg grad 85
scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Ironmen98 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:35 pm
smurray wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:14 pm
scott1297 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:51 pm I like Burgs chances in this game. I think that Burgs tough schedule will pay dividends also IMO Burg is more physical than Waverly. BURG 31 TO 21 . Burg just needs to limit the turnovers like they have the last couple games. I just hope its an injury free game and safe travels to Waverly THE ED will be packed Friday and the excitement of this game will play a big part
Waverly has been much more physical then years past. Not saying they will be more physical than the Pirates, just saying they are more physical overall than last year.
Turnovers could be the decider in this one.
Burg has probably lost more starters to injury than waverly. Zero reason waverly doesn’t win this game. Burg will play hard tho and they’re dangerous as an underdog
I would have to disagree about Burg being the underdog. The only 2 games that Burg was considered an underdog was the Ironton and Jackson games. IMO this game is a toss up

Burg grad 85
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

scott1297 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:59 pm

Waverly has been much more physical then years past. Not saying they will be more physical than the Pirates, just saying they are more physical overall than last year.
Burg has probably lost more starters to injury than waverly. Zero reason waverly doesn’t win this game. Burg will play hard tho and they’re dangerous as an underdog
I would have to disagree about Burg being the underdog. The only 2 games that Burg was considered an underdog was the Ironton and Jackson games. IMO this game is a toss up
They we’re underdogs to pikeville. Pikeville was a missed field goal from beating D1 Madison central. Burgs schedule was a whole lot harder but they haven’t faced this type of scoring powers.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

scott1297 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:59 pm

I get that. It probably is a toss up.

Jackson Burg game was a classic

WHS2000grad
Riding the Bench

Post by WHS2000grad »

I think if this turns into a track meet that favors Waverly. I don't think Wheelersburg or anyone else in the area can outscore the Tigers' offense. The Waverly defense for all the talk does seem to rise up when they need to and that is a very dangerous way to live and can get you burned. I don't see either team as a clear favorite or underdog in this one, There is a slight chance of rain Friday night (why am I not surprised). Turnovers will be the key to this game. I say the Tigers ruin Homecoming for the Piartes 49-42.

sparkynine
Waterboy

Post by sparkynine »

Burg continues to create a dynasty on the special teams side of things, and that will play a major part Friday night. With some strategic placement of kicks and a great Burg kicker, Pirates win by 3.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

WHS2000grad wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:33 pm I think if this turns into a track meet that favors Waverly. I don't think Wheelersburg or anyone else in the area can outscore the Tigers' offense. The Waverly defense for all the talk does seem to rise up when they need to and that is a very dangerous way to live and can get you burned. I don't see either team as a clear favorite or underdog in this one, There is a slight chance of rain Friday night (why am I not surprised). Turnovers will be the key to this game. I say the Tigers ruin Homecoming for the Piartes 49-42.
If it rains, that favors the burg. Passing is a little tougher in the elements.

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

Yeah, Lord knows the Burg loves to play us in the rain...or hurricane. lol

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

oldschoolqb13 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:13 am Yeah, Lord knows the Burg loves to play us in the rain...or hurricane. lol
The mud bowl. I remember that.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Waverly offense is averaging 42 points a game lowest scoring output was 35 against Portsmouth and they’ve put up a high of 47 twice. I think Waverly needs to turn it into basketball on turf

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Kicker. wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:09 pm Waverly offense is averaging 42 points a game lowest scoring output was 35 against Portsmouth and they’ve put up a high of 47 twice. I think Waverly needs to turn it into basketball on turf
This will be the best defense Waverly will face so far. How will that come into play with game planning? Will they be a little more conservative on what they do? Or go be who they are?

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

oldschoolqb13 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:13 am Yeah, Lord knows the Burg loves to play us in the rain...or hurricane. lol
LOL!! Was at the hurricane game. Not cancelling that game was a great decision by Burg :)

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

wobycat wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:55 pm
Kicker. wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:09 pm Waverly offense is averaging 42 points a game lowest scoring output was 35 against Portsmouth and they’ve put up a high of 47 twice. I think Waverly needs to turn it into basketball on turf
This will be the best defense Waverly will face so far. How will that come into play with game planning? Will they be a little more conservative on what they do? Or go be who they are?
Waverly should not go conservative. Force Burg to defend the pass. Although Burg has a good D, not sure how they will do against an offense like Waverly’s.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

wobycat wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:55 pm

I think we’ll run some tempo to at least keep Burg on their heels some. We’ve done it a few times this season but I feel this would be the best time to do it. As far as who they go to I think Futhey will get more looks unless the Burg decides to take him away. I believe he is the best threat the offense has. If that’s the case Waverly has other guys who can get us those important chunk plays

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly cannot be conservative with the skills they have. Pull out all the stops and go to Morrison and Futhey more.
Waverly DEFENSE must have a HUGE game!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Tiger FOOTBALL fans we will have ($5.00) presale tickets for Friday night's game against Wheelersburg at Wheelersburg! 🐾

Athletic Director, Bo Arnett, will be selling them at the volleyball game tomorrow. (Volleyball plays Oak Hill at home starting at 5:30)

Also, Bo will be selling them Thursday at the downtown facility from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.

You will also be able to purchase presale tickets on Friday during school hours (7:30am to 3:30 pm) in the front high school office.

old benchwarmer
Freshman Team

Post by old benchwarmer »

Omega wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:11 am
old benchwarmer wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:14 am
Omega wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:17 pm Historical side note, Waverly has only won once in their last twenty-three trips to Ed Miller Stadium.
That is going back a long way. Since you are quoting history, go a little farther and check the results. However, the results of past games mean very little at this point.
History belongs in the discussion to highlight for fans what a difficult task is in store for the Tigers. The past should have no bearing on the game. It is Jimmy against Joe, and X's versus O's. Yet does the psychology of expectations enter into the fray with doubt become the 12th man for the opposing team?
So, are saying the win by Waverly last year gives them an advantage?

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Waverly is the favorite here. Pulling for the Pirates though.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Game should be moved to Saturday evening .

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

RBH23 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:17 pm
LOL!! Was at the hurricane game. Not cancelling that game was a great decision by Burg :)
I thought the decision sucked RBH! lol I remember taking snaps in pre-game and the ball went right through my hands about 5 feet in the air!

Return to “Football”