Week 7 Cancellations

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Week 7 Cancellations

Post by 93Bulldog »

I just think it's pretty f'ing wise to stick to your original schedule, attempt to go undefeated, keep your divisor at 9 and try for a top 3 seed. It's not like D7 teams are loaded with depth, every team gets a little banged up so having a bye week 7 is not a bad thing either. The whole "play someone good to prepare for the postseason" is overrated. I watched Athens roll over opponents by 50 pts all season and played in back to back regional title games. They played 1 tough team in 2014 during regular season and then played for a state title.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

93Bulldog wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:48 pm I just think it's pretty f'ing wise to stick to your original schedule, attempt to go undefeated, keep your divisor at 9 and try for a top 3 seed. It's not like D7 teams are loaded with depth, every team gets a little banged up so having a bye week 7 is not a bad thing either. The whole "play someone good to prepare for the postseason" is overrated. I watched Athens roll over opponents by 50 pts all season and played in back to back regional title games. They played 1 tough team in 2014 during regular season and then played for a state title.
Funny how this is the 1st year we've ever heard this argument, guess all the teams need to make cupcake schedules then if this is the philosophy.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

greygoose wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:14 pm
93Bulldog wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:48 pm I just think it's pretty f'ing wise to stick to your original schedule, attempt to go undefeated, keep your divisor at 9 and try for a top 3 seed. It's not like D7 teams are loaded with depth, every team gets a little banged up so having a bye week 7 is not a bad thing either. The whole "play someone good to prepare for the postseason" is overrated. I watched Athens roll over opponents by 50 pts all season and played in back to back regional title games. They played 1 tough team in 2014 during regular season and then played for a state title.
Funny how this is the 1st year we've ever heard this argument, guess all the teams need to make cupcake schedules then if this is the philosophy.
Dude, it didnt look like a cupcake schedule going in.
D7 team going on the road to play an OVC school in Coal Grove. Going on the road again to play a solid program in Caldwell. Worthington Christian on the schedule. Beaver Eastern was a playoff team last year. What more do you want? It's Berne Union we're talking about, not Ironton or Jackson here. Good grief.

You know Vinton County is in the same boat as Berne. A program that has had zero playoff success for ions. They have a soft schedule, Meigs canceled on them and they didnt go try and find an opponent. I don't remember you questioning that decision??? And they were SUPPOSED to play, BU was not.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

93Bulldog wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:29 pm
D7 team going on the road to play an OVC school in Coal Grove. Going on the road again to play a solid program in Caldwell. Worthington Christian on the schedule. Beaver Eastern was a playoff team last year. What more do you want? It's Berne Union we're talking about, not Ironton or Jackson here. Good grief.

You know Vinton County is in the same boat as Berne. A program that has had zero playoff success for ions. They have a soft schedule, Meigs canceled on them and they didnt go try and find an opponent. I don't remember you questioning that decision??? And they were SUPPOSED to play, BU was not.
Oh it never is, that's why ppl talk about taking on someone with a little more clout then what they ended up with, I mean it's a simple concept. Not like it can be controlled any other year, that's why it's talked about man, good grief surely you can understand that. Doesn't matter the team name if you're got a really nice team it's always going to be said and it'll always be true regardless of name

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

According to yappi

Friday Updates:
Week 7
Manchester @ South Gallia - Cancelled

Glouster-Trimble @ South Gallia

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

greygoose wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:08 pm

Oh it never is, that's why ppl talk about taking on someone with a little more clout then what they ended up with, I mean it's a simple concept. Not like it can be controlled any other year, that's why it's talked about man, good grief surely you can understand that. Doesn't matter the team name if you're got a really nice team it's always going to be said and it'll always be true regardless of name
Have you ever been an AD?
Every try and put together a high school football schedule? It's not easy. You don't just play who you want, when you want - and trying to make out a schedule a year in advance according to what you think you will have or another team/program has is just ridiculously difficult. IMO, a program like BU did a pretty good job of finding a Coal Grove, a Caldwell, even though they had to travel. Arranging a date with a playoff team (Eastern) from the previous year was also a good move. Then you know the Worthington Christian game was gonna be a challenge as well.

SugarGroove
Waterboy

Post by SugarGroove »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:41 am

Every try and put together a high school football schedule? It's not easy. You don't just play who you want, when you want - and trying to make out a schedule a year in advance according to what you think you will have or another team/program has is just ridiculously difficult. IMO, a program like BU did a pretty good job of finding a Coal Grove, a Caldwell, even though they had to travel. Arranging a date with a playoff team (Eastern) from the previous year was also a good move. Then you know the Worthington Christian game was gonna be a challenge as well.
Thank You

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:41 am

OH my you're simply not getting it, now you're talking about trying to make up an entire schedule which is tough but not impossible by any means. OHSAA makes it much easier seeing teams who's looking for open dates. The entire discussion is based on trying to FIND a team after a cancel, now if you want to talk about making up a schedule that's a totally different conversation. Like you said it doesn't matter how easy the regular season schedule is that's what the playoffs are for to get you better once it starts. Also keep in mind AD and coaches know 100% what a team has returning before they look at if that's a team they'd like to play. However that isn't the discussion.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

BU didn't have a team cancel, they weren't going to play week 7 anyways. Now, Vinton County did and they didn't rush out and find an opponent. They took the week off. BU did nothing of the such. Could they have played a Piketon? Trimble perhaps? I guess so - and they could have also got one of their best players injured for a game they never had scheduled to begin with.

BTW, Coal Grove looking to go (4-2) by beating a Gallia Academy team that destroyed Athens is looking more and more like a quality win for the Rockets.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Yep, could've got a player injured as he was walking up the bleacher steps to go and watch a game since one wasn't scheduled. Also Athens is absolutely terrible this year and Coal Grove going 4-2 against teams that are a combined 3-16 if that is our standard for "quality opponent" man oh man have we hit rock bottom. Like you've said though don't need to play anyone in the regular season that's what the playoffs are for.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

greygoose wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:06 pm Yep, could've got a player injured as he was walking up the bleacher steps to go and watch a game since one wasn't scheduled. Also Athens is absolutely terrible this year and Coal Grove going 4-2 against teams that are a combined 3-16 if that is our standard for "quality opponent" man oh man have we hit rock bottom. Like you've said though don't need to play anyone in the regular season that's what the playoffs are for.
Doesn't matter how bad Athens is, I watched Gallia first hand and they are a solid DIV football team. You act like BU is some great program that should be playing bigger schools with rich, sucessful history. They are a tiny D7 team in the middle of nowhere that upgraded their schedule this year, imo, compared to years past with the notion they could possiblly be good. If they had a game week 7 and somebody canceled, then maybe I'd agree finding an opponent - but they didn't. They did nothing wrong, nothing at all. They are playing every team on their schedule, which is what you are supposed to do.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:15 pm
greygoose wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:06 pm Yep, could've got a player injured as he was walking up the bleacher steps to go and watch a game since one wasn't scheduled. Also Athens is absolutely terrible this year and Coal Grove going 4-2 against teams that are a combined 3-16 if that is our standard for "quality opponent" man oh man have we hit rock bottom. Like you've said though don't need to play anyone in the regular season that's what the playoffs are for.
Doesn't matter how bad Athens is, I watched Gallia first hand and they are a solid DIV football team. You act like BU is some great program that should be playing bigger schools with rich, sucessful history. They are a tiny D7 team in the middle of nowhere that upgraded their schedule this year, imo, compared to years past with the notion they could possiblly be good. If they had a game week 7 and somebody canceled, then maybe I'd agree finding an opponent - but they didn't. They did nothing wrong, nothing at all. They are playing every team on their schedule, which is what you are supposed to do.
Gallia hasn't played in 3 weeks, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with the outcome. If you haven't seen any tape on BU then I truly don't expect you to understand in terms of the quality they have played vs what they have. Oh absolutely they did nothing wrong, no one ever said they did it was simply pointed out they had a week 7 opening and choose to sit at home on it instead of picking up an actual quality opponent as Coal Grove's opponents 1-14 before their win against Gallia tonight. It's all good though man, you seen the schedule and you said it'll have them ready for teams like NC and Shadyside once playoffs hit. Never mind their offense runs 17-25 games a game I'm sure they'll encounter no adversity come playoff time, which is the entire point of the conversation. NO ONE ever ever said they did anything wrong, they had a week 7 game and had PLENTY of time to find an opponent and didn't and that's the knock everyone is critiquing. Right or wrong is not our judgement, they played their schedule 100% agree but they walked away in a season where it was easy to step up which really was the entire point of it all.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

They won't play NC or Shadyside week 11.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:34 pm They won't play NC or Shadyside week 11.
Nope if they're lucky they'll have enough points to stay in the top 4, again that was the issue with sitting out this week. Very easily looking at Trimble or a Waterford in week 12 should they slip into the 4 spot which is looking very possible.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

#4 East Knox lost tonight and Trimble plays 3 terrible football teams to end the season. South Gallia, Belpre & Southern - not many points there. The Cats could, however, find an opponent week 10 - but that may be easier said than done.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Open teams
Week 10
Bidwell River Valley
Cincinnati Gamble Montessori
Cleveland Lincoln West
Collins Western Reserve
Columbus Mifflin

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

teach1coach2 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:31 pm Open teams
Week 10
Bidwell River Valley
Cleveland Lincoln West
Collins Western Reserve
Columbus Mifflin
How'd you do that?? That's an AD's job and it's VERY tough to find these opponents, only they have this power.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Easy to find, harder to make happen.

And I wasnt talking about midseason, I was referring to off season when every school in Ohio is trying to figure out a football schedule.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

greygoose wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:48 pm
Week 10
Bidwell River Valley
Cleveland Lincoln West
Collins Western Reserve
Columbus Mifflin
How'd you do that?? That's an AD's job and it's VERY tough to find these opponents, only they have this power.
Do you even realize a team, which believes it can make a run to the regional title game, will be playing in its 14th game if they reach that goal? 14! A small D7 school like BU with a roster of what, about 25 or 30 kids, will be playing more games than almost every major D1 university in the country with roster sizes of close to 100. Yet, you still want them to go out and schedule a better team, bigger school, even though they didn't have a game scheduled while their stiffest competition (Shadyside and Trimble or even Waterford) all got to take advantage of a bye week this year to rest up and get healthier before they dive into this 16-team playoff race. Not to mention the the gamble you would be taking. Take a loss, drop in the computer rankings and possibly lose out on the 2 or 3 seed for a game that doesn't even have league ramifications ... No offense, but that is just plain dumb.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:11 am
greygoose wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:48 pm
Week 10
Bidwell River Valley
Cleveland Lincoln West
Collins Western Reserve
Columbus Mifflin
Do you even realize a team, which believes it can make a run to the regional title game, will be playing in its 14th game if they reach that goal? 14! A small D7 school like BU with a roster of what, about 25 or 30 kids, will be playing more games than almost every major D1 university in the country with roster sizes of close to 100. Yet, you still want them to go out and schedule a better team, bigger school, even though they didn't have a game scheduled while their stiffest competition (Shadyside and Trimble or even Waterford) all got to take advantage of a bye week this year to rest up and get healthier before they dive into this 16-team playoff race. Not to mention the the gamble you would be taking. Take a loss, drop in the computer rankings and possibly lose out on the 2 or 3 seed for a game that doesn't even have league ramifications ... No offense, but that is just plain dumb.
Are you still trying to argue the whole, it's ok to play weak schedule because the playoffs will get you ready for the playoffs, you've got to be the first in history on this forum to argue that. Also they've got like 45 kids on the roster, So what in the world are you talking about?? You're making them to be out this lowly DVII school just stop it's embarrassing they've got as many or more on their roster as DIV-DV schools in this area. You take your stance of having a team that runs 20 plays a game and call them playoff ready because of that schedule. Again I don't knock their schedule nor has anyone it is what it is, the ONLY thing that has been mentioned is that here is a good team that had the opportunity to strap it up and actually play someone and didn't. Nothing more nothing less, you keep thinking that regular season schedule will have them ready for the playoffs and IF they get a bye week that week 12 game might get them ready for week 13. Can't make the 2-3 seed by not playing games, that seems like simple math to me. Why are you mentioning number of games played?? That makes zero sense 14, OH MY GOSH, are they playing more than any other team that would make it that far?? NOPE.

Return to “Football”