Week 1 - Valley @ Portsmouth 8/19

packers80
SE

Re: Week 1 - Valley @ Portsmouth 8/19

Post by packers80 »

Valley's depth will plague them all year I'm afraid. Portsmouth got a nice win to start the season.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

I know Valley has depth issues, maybe not the best offense Portsmouth will see. Okay probably one of the worst they will see tbh. They couldn’t overcome the speed of Portsmouth’s defense. The Trojans defense looked night and day improved from last season. A couple kids who nobody is talking about for Portsmouth had really solid games. James Thurman, both Poxes brothers and Brendan Truett all played very well. Better test next week against the worst side, who I feel has more team speed and clearly more depth than Valley. Indians will win a few games, but not having enough bodies will hurt them. Probably 3 more wins and the Trojans will be on the cusp of making the overly large playoffs lol 😂

ValleyStrong
Freshman Team

Post by ValleyStrong »

Valley has a pretty good team for the conference they play in. They play up 1 to 2 divisions which is inpressive in itself, and they win or compete in most games. Speed, and ability to play iron man football was the difference of this game.... Depth will have to be looked at....they have several athletes that are going to have to srep up and help out on both sides of the ball. The starters need breaks, so rotation is the key to stay healthy(no injuries),and productive. Valley should still finish out 7-3 to 8-2 if they can keep the starters healthy, and find a rotation,.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to the Trojans on the win......and a BIG salute to the defense for their outstanding effort. If I read Mattash's records correctly, it is the fewest points Portsmouth has allowed in at least 11 years (2011-2021). The fewest during this time was 7 points a couple of times.

Very surprised to see PHS with 0 at the half, but in the final 24 minutes the PHS offense looked as advertised.......big plays via the air, and TD's as a result. Dariyonne Bryant, Reid Pendleton, and Bo Hammond (running TD) all scored TD's for Portsmouth, while Drew Roe made some spectacular throws. Donovan Carr almost took the 2nd half kickoff all the way, only to be tripped up at the 15 yard line. Carr also made a big pass breakup in the end zone.

Defensively, BuckeyeBlood already mentioned several kids, and I would like to add Jayvon Zorborg, who was a dynamo in the middle of the Trojan Dline. At 5-5 and 195 lbs.,and outweighed by the Valley O-line, Zorborg battled all night and made play after play. I believe he was named the Defensive Player of the Game.

Going forward, with Portsmouth's offensive talent, if the defense can play like they did last night, a winning season is definitely possible, with a high finish in OVC play and a playoff berth.

A lot of football left, though, and still 9 games to go. Hopefully PHS will not incur any major injuries, or Covid outbreaks.

Best wishes to Valley on the rest of their season. The Indians played hard last night but I think fatigue played a big part in Portsmouth's second half surge.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

Crab's Brother wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:29 am
Izladoom wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:08 pm Valley has to figure out the passing game. They have a 6’6 te they need to get him involved. Portsmouth was able to just stack the box all night. Valley needed to open up the playbook more the offense got way to predictable.
You can't have a passing game when you can't keep your quarterback off his rear. You either didn't see the game or have a clue what you were watching.

Valley's defense played really well until they ran out of gas. Arnett's injury Wednesday didn't help. Valley will be ok. Portsmouth is going to win 6-7 games and a playoff game or two.

I totally agree about the protection the line was totally gassed. They need to focus on some shorter passing like Portsmouth was doing at times. Depth is definitely a issue you could tell how tired everyone was by the long int return. I didn’t know arnett got injured Wednesday that would explain why it looked like he lost a step. They will be fine they won’t play a team with this kind of speed the rest of the year.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Wheelersburg, Waverly, and possibly Coal Grove will have that kind of speed.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

anyone have the player stats?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"