October 11, 2019 Oak Hill 0 - 55 Wheelersburg

fox_40
Waterboy

Re: Oak Hill - Wheelersburg

Post by fox_40 »

I agree with most of the observations of the Burg team. I think we have great coaches but they have taken some risk this year that in past years we could get by with. I would kick it deep most of the time and take my chances. We are not able to gamble like we did in the past. If Kick Off coverage is bad, kick it deep or just kick it out of bounds if it's that big of a problem but I believe we could 98% of the time kick it deep and take our chances. I do understand if you see a time when you can get the ball with onside and you know you have a great chance, try it! But the days of catching SOC teams by surprise is about over because we are on film. As I said before the talent is young and down a little so things look a little different. Our coaching staff is really good and I think we have one of the best head coaches you could ask for but they do seem out of sorts this year with calling games. I watched the time we are getting most play signals into the QB is with 14 to 17 seconds on the clock. This doesn't allow for any adjustments at the line. I do love us signaling plays but it seems we are putting the QB in a bad spot to get everyone lined up and make any reads or adjustments. I would like to see us just go with 6 at QB and fit everything to fit him if that's the plan. This team can be more efficient if we find what he is comfortable with and just run that stuff. I do like take the two that might be QB's next year and putting them in at WR because they both know the offense and they are both really athletic. 14 had some very nice runs at Minford. Take care of Holding because of not moving to get in position and you create a chance to win some games. I could be wrong with all of this but it's just my own opinion and that's not worth much!! I just like to study the game and watch football!

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

I don’t think the talent is down, not like everyone thinks. We still have athletic kids that can play, some without varsity experience.
QB1 is not where it has been in the previous years. If WB1 can’t make some plays, your chances of winning become narrower. The QB for this senior class left his sophomore season, and then the next man up gets hurt. It’s not that the soph and 2 fresh can’t do it, but it lack of experience.
Heck, Trent S would’ve struggled as a sophomore, that’s y Mac started

#RespectTheW #reachHigher #PowerOfOne
“ I regret nothing, ever! “
“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
fox_40
Waterboy

Post by fox_40 »

Jack Sparrow wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:25 am
fox_40 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:28 am I know it's hard to talk about issues with this team or any team without saying a player name or number but I do understand that line of thinking. So....we have one corner that since day one has been getting beat and it's 90% because he does not want to hit or play physical. I would be worried at times about a young man that does not want to hit at all. It is on video that at times the player has ran himself out of the play to avoid contact. Other players at the corner have struggled with issues as well. I understand they are kids and it might take awhile but your team can't play at a high level or playoff football if you have these issues. The younger rotation is the future it would appear. My question is how do you go from being a physical team to not liking contact very much? Is it an issue with new rules about contact? Is it just the group? I know we are missing one coach from the past. This coach worked with DB's and I think we miss him a lot. Seems Burg always had the best group of coaches and I can see they have a spot missing. IMO I hope we can keep this head coach and the others as long as we can. Overall they do a tremendous job!
See previous comments on corners.
My personal opinion is it’s how we’re built. Don’t get me wrong, they’re are some kids that just like it. You can see their tail wag. Someone on here mentioned a while back, leadership. It has been lacking, not by coaches, but by players. That was fixed last week IMO. seniors stepped up.
The do miss the coach your referring to, and I agree that these coaches on staff are tremendous.
Totally agree with you! I just don't see them ever work on that type of pattern... In High School football I don't know of many kids can cover the first 10 yards. Patterns crossing in front of the DB's face are the ones you get some nice gains on but nobody likes to a little short pattern. The Miller kid made those plays that entire year but now we don't do them anymore at all. The deep ball is all we like. If you research a little the Hook is the top rated pattern a WR can run. When the WR drives down the field and turns to give a good target the defender has a tuff time in high school. Just something I hope to see in the future to complement the heavy run game.

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

fox_40 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:42 am
Jack Sparrow wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:25 am
fox_40 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:28 am I know it's hard to talk about issues with this team or any team without saying a player name or number but I do understand that line of thinking. So....we have one corner that since day one has been getting beat and it's 90% because he does not want to hit or play physical. I would be worried at times about a young man that does not want to hit at all. It is on video that at times the player has ran himself out of the play to avoid contact. Other players at the corner have struggled with issues as well. I understand they are kids and it might take awhile but your team can't play at a high level or playoff football if you have these issues. The younger rotation is the future it would appear. My question is how do you go from being a physical team to not liking contact very much? Is it an issue with new rules about contact? Is it just the group? I know we are missing one coach from the past. This coach worked with DB's and I think we miss him a lot. Seems Burg always had the best group of coaches and I can see they have a spot missing. IMO I hope we can keep this head coach and the others as long as we can. Overall they do a tremendous job!
See previous comments on corners.
My personal opinion is it’s how we’re built. Don’t get me wrong, they’re are some kids that just like it. You can see their tail wag. Someone on here mentioned a while back, leadership. It has been lacking, not by coaches, but by players. That was fixed last week IMO. seniors stepped up.
The do miss the coach your referring to, and I agree that these coaches on staff are tremendous.
Totally agree with you! I just don't see them ever work on that type of pattern... In High School football I don't know of many kids can cover the first 10 yards. Patterns crossing in front of the DB's face are the ones you get some nice gains on but nobody likes to a little short pattern. The Miller kid made those plays that entire year but now we don't do them anymore at all. The deep ball is all we like. If you research a little the Hook is the top rated pattern a WR can run. When the WR drives down the field and turns to give a good target the defender has a tuff time in high school. Just something I hope to see in the future to complement the heavy run game.
I’ve said that exact thing about rub routes. Hope we get our wish....

“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Will The Burg win out in the regular season?

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

noreply66 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:42 pm Will The Burg win out in the regular season?
Good question. Nothing with this team has come easy
Work to be done!

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Burg rolls in this one.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

ill take Burg in this one.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Burg big. They survived the storm and will finish the season strong.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Here's a game that I want to see if Burg can contend for a regional contender. While I think Burg can win the game rather easily, I want to see if Burg can dominate on the defensive line against a power running game. If Burg can hold oak hill to around 100 to 150 for the game, then I'll believe they've turned a corner. Speed and athletic wise, I think they can play with a Minford type offense but they have to stop the power teams like the Ironton's and Johnstown's. Offensively, I believe they have found a rhythm and will start to score more.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

CalPreps October 10th update. SOCII

Minford (OH) at Portsmouth West (West Portsmouth, OH), 7:00pm [projection: Minford (OH) 46-17]
Valley (Lucasville, OH) at Waverly (OH), 7:00pm [projection: Waverly (OH) 31-17]
Wheelersburg (OH) at Oak Hill (OH), 7:00pm [projection: Wheelersburg (OH) 35-6]

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

So I stopped by the high school to purchase some presale tickets to find out there were none. Oak Hill wouldn’t send or allow Burg’s AD to pick up any tickets. What’s up with that Norm?!?! Talk about a jerk move.

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:08 pm So I stopped by the high school to purchase some presale tickets to find out there were none. Oak Hill wouldn’t send or allow Burg’s AD to pick up any tickets. What’s up with that Norm?!?! Talk about a jerk move.
I also went to the school to get tickets and was very surprised that Oak Hill said no pre-sale tickets. And I totally agree with the jerk move statement! Stormin Normin evidently doesn't like the Burg huh imagine that?

Burg grad 85
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Stormin Normin doesn't even like himself!

Prince
Riding the Bench

Post by Prince »

Imagine Burg fans complaining about Pre Sale tickets . Maybe you are too Proud to get your ticket at the game. I certain that not all schools sell Pre Sale unless it’s a playoff game or a huge rivalry. I can tell you this also Ironton fans don’t care for the Burg . With that said let the players play and forget about minor things . I hate to say this but I will root for Burg tonight to help my Tigers in playoff points . The roar of the tiger .

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

wobycat wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:37 pm Stormin Normin doesn't even like himself!

:D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

too much burg for the Oaks...….

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Prince wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:00 pm Imagine Burg fans complaining about Pre Sale tickets . Maybe you are too Proud to get your ticket at the game. I certain that not all schools sell Pre Sale unless it’s a playoff game or a huge rivalry. I can tell you this also Ironton fans don’t care for the Burg . With that said let the players play and forget about minor things . I hate to say this but I will root for Burg tonight to help my Tigers in playoff points . The roar of the tiger .
Ummmm ok. Being a Burg fan has nothing to do with presale tickets. Also what does this have to do with “let the players play”? I’m sure most would agree that there should always presale tickets. Try to give a good reason why there shouldn’t be.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:51 pm
Prince wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:00 pm Imagine Burg fans complaining about Pre Sale tickets . Maybe you are too Proud to get your ticket at the game. I certain that not all schools sell Pre Sale unless it’s a playoff game or a huge rivalry. I can tell you this also Ironton fans don’t care for the Burg . With that said let the players play and forget about minor things . I hate to say this but I will root for Burg tonight to help my Tigers in playoff points . The roar of the tiger .
Ummmm ok. Being a Burg fan has nothing to do with presale tickets. Also what does this have to do with “let the players play”? I’m sure most would agree that there should always presale tickets. Try to give a good reason why there shouldn’t be.
I've heard the gates are closed to anyone wearing Pirate clothing and carrying a milk jug. Game is sold out

Return to “Football”