BESIDES TURF, WHAT'S NEXT FOR THE IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: BESIDES TURF, WHAT'S NEXT FOR THE IRONTON FIGHTING TIGER

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I would personally like to see the tiger on the 50, that is on the wall of the high school gym. that is sharp as heck, and not being used by any other local team.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

the old concession stand on the visitors side. I liked how they had that painted stripes a few years ago. but they had the stripes horizontal instead of vertical. people need to get over the ''we are not similar to the bengals thingie''. ''we wanna stay looking like the browns''. our nickname is fighting tigers. so any design, change at the stadium or uniform change needs to reflect that of a tiger. we are not the browns. I love our current uniforms, but I'd love to see stripes on the helmets, or a tiger, the word tigers, a paw, a block I. this is a new day with fighting tiger football, sometimes changes are good. brand new school, new turf, kids respond to that. look good , play good.i'm not saying bengalize the stadium, or uniforms. but we are tigers, fighting tigers.

so.stormmom
Freshman Team

Post by so.stormmom »

it will be interesting to see IF any of the fans show back up in the numbers the tigers used to bring the last few years have been really sad and the so called,loyal fans had every excuse from I was sick I had other commitments I couldn't walk yet the very same fans ......when they was winning....said they will have to dump me in a wheel barrel and roll me into the tank before I miss this game :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

The fans will still come on Friday night. Win or lose the diehards will be there. Of course those people who hate the Tigers and love to see them lose will be there watching just to say I watched the Tigers get beat down Friday night. Maybe we wont see 5000 like we used to, but the fans will be filling the Tank as always.

local superstar
All State

Post by local superstar »

5000 fans?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

roy I could eat a can of alphabet soup and crap out a more intelligent response than that.you're better than that.

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

I would love to see every game this year but am moving back to Albuquerque New Mexico when realeased to go back to work but I think the Tigers will have a good year between youth and injuries and lack of depth last year was a tough year.
Depth still scares me hopefully Ironton can get more kids to come out and build on it.
As far as passing I think it will help but not only when they need to. a second and 2 play action or swing pass maybe but they don't need to every down only when the run is established.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

maniac66 wrote: As far as passing I think it will help but not only when they need to. a second and 2 play action or swing pass maybe but they don't need to every down only when the run is established.

Exactly get the run going then hit the play action or dump passes out of the backfield. You establish the run and on a 2nd and short try a home run ball off play action. Don't just come out throwing to throw the ball. There's got to be a reason for your offensive plays not just running plays to run plays.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Athens is a perfect pick up for Ironton, Ironton will get killed next year but after that its huge points for Ironton. A bad year for Athens in the tvc is 6-4 or 7-3. Ironton should win those games

Trojan_Pride
All Conference

Post by Trojan_Pride »

I want the opposing defense to not know what's coming at them run/pass and not know which of the 6 ball handlers is getting it!!!

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

cg-ironton fan wrote:I want the opposing defense to not know what's coming at them run/pass and not know which of the 6 ball handlers is getting it!!!
That was the problem the opposing defense didn't know what was coming at them and the way the play calling was our offense didn't even know what they would be doing.

Trojan_Pride
All Conference

Post by Trojan_Pride »

tigercannon71 wrote:
cg-ironton fan wrote:I want the opposing defense to not know what's coming at them run/pass and not know which of the 6 ball handlers is getting it!!!
That was the problem the opposing defense didn't know what was coming at them and the way the play calling was our offense didn't even know what they would be doing.
look at the stats ALL defenses knew it was a run and it was going to 1 of 2 players over 70% of time

black76
JV Team

Post by black76 »

If you have good fundamental football players it wont matter if they know what you are doing or not.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

I know you like to talk about the stats, but you're not looking beyond and seeing the truth of the stats. Yes, runs outweighed the passes, but when you look at it the reason is very obvious. We ran the ball we were successful hence more runs you had a 10 or 12 play drive all runs. Then we'd pass 3 straight downs and go 3 and out. Right there you got a 10 run 3 pass stat in 2 series. So you're going to have less passes than runs and as it showed in the games less success. In the past Ironton might pass 3 times in a game. Defense knew we were going to run, but because of superior training, fundamentals, and a nasty attitude we would still run it down the defense throat. Thats what we are missing from our line play. Go back to the Clearcreek game the second half was classic Ironton football. Run down the ball down their throats, eat clock, and wear the defense out. Thats how they won that game. We need to get back to that.

local superstar
All State

LITTLE TIGER wrote:
tigercannon71 wrote:We passed the ball this year. Howd that work out for uys? Oh yea, not very good. Ironton needs to get back to being a running team. We got the backs to run. Run the ball set up a pass. We didnt have an identity on offense this year. One series you came out T, next series shotgun, and next we ran 1 T and 2 shotgun and 1 punt. There was no way to get mometum going when you keep switching out what you are doing.
Really no matter what we do on offense or defense we wont win unless a few things change. Its not coaching, its not play calling, but attitudes. The attitudes are of the players. Its one thing to hit the weightroom and work hard, but that work ethic hard nosed attitude must carry over into the games. We have had huge guys on the line the past few years, but they have been soft. I dont care if you squat 500lbs or bench 500lbs if you play like a guy who cant lift the bar. Our line play has been our biggest weakness the past few years. We need players that have a mean nasty surly attitude when they hit the field, not a good guy greg. Yea, because of declining jobs and things in our area the talent pool hasnt been as deep as previous decades, but if you work hard and give 100% and bust your butt on the field you can level the playing field and still win games over a more talented team.
i agree 110% Ironton always was a power football team, to do that we need big, strong lineman with a nasty side to them & lots of hustle, block to the whistle & then some
Depends on personnel.

Trojan_Pride
All Conference

Post by Trojan_Pride »

example old coal grove football run up the gut u could sit in stands and call the play before its run all I am saying is if people in stands know the play I am just wondering what the defense knows ????

any mediocre to good team will shut down any team that only uses 2 players and runs the majority of the time !! it don't matter if u got 5 brutes(350)+ or 5 wimps on that line it just wont work!!!

ps the run to pass ratio the runs will always be higher and they should be

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

cg-ironton fan wrote:example old coal grove football run up the gut u could sit in stands and call the play before its run all I am saying is if people in stands know the play I am just wondering what the defense knows ????

any mediocre to good team will shut down any team that only uses 2 players and runs the majority of the time !! it don't matter if u got 5 brutes(350)+ or 5 wimps on that line it just wont work!!!

ps the run to pass ratio the runs will always be higher and they should be
Theres a big difference in the defense knowing the play and being able to stop it. If its working you don't stop running it till the defense stops it. Then if the defense stops it you run a couple more plays and go back to the previous play they couldn't stop.
If you only got 2 good backs would you would run the mediocre backs? Ironton had 3 good backs to choose from this year that's why they were the main ball carriers.

local superstar
All State

Yes there is a big difference in knowing the play and stopping it

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

is the Athens contract signed or not, anybody know.

timbo52
Riding the Bench

Post by timbo52 »

haven't heard anything on athens, personally i hope we don't schedule them, seen them on tv, looked pretty impressive, i know they have a boat load coming back on offence, i think we are still a year out competing at there level, looking for a good year after last, all the youngins got a lot of playing time so hopefully we will get back on track. i counting on returning back to the playoffs, think we need to change the offence play calling or who ever was calling the plays, need to add some new blood on both sides of the ball, i don't think the hammer will be back calling plays, won't be that long till we will be setting at the burg for game one, did the burg get new stands on the visitors side? good luck tigers! :12222

Return to “Football”