Portsmouth West 2008

black76
JV Team

Post by black76 »

How's weight lifting going?

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

BULDOG wrote:I feel West has several problems to deal with. Hopefully one was taken care of by hiring Triplett and staying with him. Additionally there needs to be a change of attitude at West. This is by the players, parents, community and school board. Until they decide to address the discipline and respect problems they will continue to struggle. Too many times players are more interested in starting trouble than they are playing football and showing respect. I'm not saying they shouldn't play with emotion, but do it with class.

In my opinion West under achieved last season. They returned a good core group of Juniors which many saw time as sophomores. I felt they should have been a strong contender for the SOC but seemed to lose their fire toward the end of the season.

West will have to prove themselves next year to make me a believer.
They should be a solid football team, but they had the talent this season as well.

Good stuff but I disagree with you about West having talent last year. There line was one of the smallest around and they were very weak. If you do not have a line you have nothing and it makes it hard to win the big games. Coach -T loves to run the ball and at every level if you can not run the ball you will have trouble aginst good teams. This year all the teams that won the state in Ohio had average or better than average running games.

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

Just a matter of time, Triplett will have one of the strongest teams in the area. Weightlifting is not optional for his athletes. It's just going to take a little time. I'll guartantee by the time last years freshmen get to be seniors PW will be a serious playoff contender.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
~Patrick Henry
osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Boonedawg wrote:Just a matter of time, Triplett will have one of the strongest teams in the area. Weightlifting is not optional for his athletes. It's just going to take a little time. I'll guartantee by the time last years freshmen get to be seniors PW will be a serious playoff contender.

That is great news and I know Coach -T will do a great job at West!!!!!

theheels72
Waterboy

Post by theheels72 »

With what they have returning and experience between all the starters they should be contenders for the playoffs. We'll see. Go West!!!!!

theheels72
Waterboy

Post by theheels72 »

Went to weight room a couple days ago. Impressed with the turnout this early. Boys getting bigger, stronger and faster. Triplett making them work hard.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

It's exciting isn't it. Were gonna be ready by August. Region 19 and the SOC II better be ready as West is a contender again. I think Tripletts awoke a sleeping giant.

If people don't think the man can build a program, go watch the basketball team. I haven't seen a West team play with that much disipline in a long time. No he isn't the head coach, but he's the reason their walking the line. It was night and day difference when he took over.

With the way they've been working, West will be in better shape by spring more than we were in September from a month of practice.

black76
JV Team

Post by black76 »

Good to hear. :-D

falconflyer
Freshman Team

Post by falconflyer »

Have the most returning starters. The favorites to win the SOC II.

theheels72
Waterboy

Post by theheels72 »

Alot of the seniors returning have started since they were sophomores. Experience definitely helps. Come this August we should see a big change from last year, especially with the coach/player relationship. He knows all the kids now. Should be interesting this season. Go West!!!!!!!!!!!

black76
JV Team

Post by black76 »

Yep, looking for good things from this group next year! Hope they have one heck of a year...coach and kids deserve it! Good Luck and keep up the hard work!

BLITZBURG
Riding the Bench

Post by BLITZBURG »

Knowing coach Triplett he has probably removed all of the 2 1/2 and 5 lb. weights from the West weight room :lol: .Glad to hear things are going good.

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

Thats the coach T I know!!! ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol:

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
~Patrick Henry
THE G.O.A.T.
Freshman Team

Post by THE G.O.A.T. »

2008 potential starting lineup:

OFFENSE

Qb Alfie Bricker Sr. 6'2 160
Hb Trevon Pendleton Soph. 6'0 225
Fb Dale Swords Sr. 6'0 195
Hb Mark Murphy Jr. 5'11 190
Wr Travis Journey Sr. 5'9 155
Wr Travis Perry Sr. 5'9 140
TE Lee Compton 6'0 180 Soph.
TE Ethan Morgan 6'2 225 Sr.
LT Scotty Sparks 6'7 275 Sr.
LG Josh Wilfong 5'11 250 jr / Seth Weber 5'10 170 Sr.
C Matt Lester 5'11 225 Sr/ Aaron Newman 5"11 260 Fr.
RG Larry Campbell 6'0 200 Sr. / Brandon Moore 5'11 265 Soph.
RT Conway Cooper 6'4 280 Fr. / Kyle Mcgraw 6'0 245 Jr.

Defense

DE Ethan Morgan 6'2 225 Sr.
DE Mark Murphy 5'11 190 Jr.
DT Matt Lester 5'11 225 Sr. / Timmy Evans 6'2 210 Sr.
DT Scotty Sparks 6'7 275 Sr.
NG Seth Webber 5'11 170 Sr. / Larry Campbell 6'0 200 Sr.
LB Trevon Pendleton 6'0 225 soph.
LB Lee Compton 6'0 180 soph.
SS Dale Swords 6'0 195 Sr.
FS Kyle Locher 6'0 170 soph. / Alfie Bricker 6'2 160 Sr.
CB Travis Perry 5'9 140 Sr.
CB Travis Journey 5'9 155 Sr.

Punter Dale Swords
Kicker Ethan Morgan, Kyle Auger Fr.

theheels72
Waterboy

Post by theheels72 »

That lineup looks pretty close to what it will be. Have to see who wants it the most. There will be some good competition for positions, so if there is some that is not coming to weight lifting right now they may be left out in the cold. Now is when it is won. If they are not playing basketball they should be there. I'm sure Coach T knows who is there. He is there every night that they are lifting. There may be some switching around in positions depending on what offense we are running and who we are playing and how they match up with us. Should be exciting to watch. Go West!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE G.O.A.T.
Freshman Team

Post by THE G.O.A.T. »

Do I know you Gamer?

theheels72
Waterboy

Post by theheels72 »

Don't know, maybe.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

one thing that I would like to see is a better rotation at the D-line positions. I thought that was a real key in wheelersburg's success this year. They're D-line for the most part only played defense and they were fresh the entire game. They were a bit undersized and got pushed around a bit at the beginning of the game, but as the opposing offensive line got tired (usually from playing both ways), their speed and quickness really caused alot of havoc. I would love to see us be able to rotate alot more kids in there. It seemed like we were usually gassed in the 2nd and 4th quarters. What will help though, is that we will be in alot better condition.

I like the idea of moving Swords back to safety and getting his athleticism and speed in space. This will also free him up to be the 3rd linebacker at times to blitz and stop the run. Ironton murdered us before by blitzing that safety from behind the middle backers on a delay.

Really think Timmy Evans is gonna surprise on the defense. Moves well, great size and a mean streak that will hit ya. He's just raw.

I think even though he's undersized, Weber will find a spot on the O-line. Great motor and heart. I really like that kid, I just wish he could gain some weight.

Even though Cooper has great size and potential, I could see alot of problems starting a freshman in Varsity football. Probably a year away but you never know.

Another kid who I think could be a good lineman is the Journey kid on the JV basketball team. David I think? Big kid with excellent feet for his size. I hope he comes out.

theheels72
Waterboy

Post by theheels72 »

It's hard to believe it is the last week in January already. Summer passing camps will be here in about 6mos. I think West will participating in some this year. This will show how our pass defense and offense will be. I'm thinking it should be very good. Can't wait to see, especially after a year of weight training with Triplett. Speed is there. Just need to keep getting stronger. Lineman are looking real good. Impressive. Go West!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jake Lane
JV Team

Post by Jake Lane »

Guys I truly think that even a 10-0 season may not bring a home playoff game to West this season. Too many rebuilding schools (like West has been in recent history) and not enough reloading teams like Burg and Ironton. I am not familiar with the other region teams returning players, but I am with most of the teams on the schedule. And one other thing, the last teacher/coach at West who had a Senior laden team also came from outside the friendly confines of Washington township and played at Massilon's Paul Brown Stadium against Ben Mauk and his repeat champion Kenton Wildcats.

Return to “Football”