West 28
Burg 27

RBH23
S

Re: SOC 2 Championship (8-1, 5-0) West @ (5-3, 5-0) Wheelersburg

Post by RBH23 »

Nicknevada86 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:34 am West 28
Burg 27
West won’t score 28 against Burg. Only twice has Burg given up that many points this year, Jackson and HP, and in both those games, Burg turned it over 3+ times.

For West to win, they need to keep this game low scoring like last year. If Burg gets to 21, they’ll win.

Paulcrew
JV Team

Post by Paulcrew »

Burg hitting on all cylinders now and they are ready for the post season. If they win and get to
the 7 seed, they will have to go through HP again. If they lose they are most likely looking at another trip to Ironton in week 2. Either way, they are a better team now than when they played those teams before.
I’ll go with Burg over West 24-6

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Burgs D is solid
Still not sold on the O
Young Qb is improving, liked him running a little more last night
Still don’t understand why they run smaller skill kids between the tackles, it’s a wasted play
Saving 21 for this week and playoff run, I don’t think he had a carry last night

packers80
SE

Re: week 10 West @ Wheelursburg

Post by packers80 »

Tri_State790 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:22 pm Now buckle up & watch us Molly whop the blue devils.
I never really knew what a Molly whip was. But I think I do now. A 10 point win.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
Oldtimer55
Riding the Bench

Re: week 10 West @ Wheelursburg

Post by Oldtimer55 »

SiderBlood wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:45 pm
art_vandelay wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:27 pm After seeing what Burg did to Waverly, I don't think this one will be close.*
Identical as last year. West doesn’t match up well with Waverly spreading it out and taking shots. They had a very competitive game with west. Burg blew them out. A lot of people compared that exact same waverly game last year and it didn’t turn out very well for the pirates. Burg has tried to be a spread team and can’t so now it sounds like they have reverted back to the power running game. That plays right into what West wants to do. I’m not gonna talk about the game until tommorow, but comparing scores isn’t a very good indicator. All about favorable matchups
Totally agree! Another thing about last year’s game was Burg scored on their first possession and maybe thought it was going to be an easy night, but found out different!

Watchinghoops
Waterboy

Post by Watchinghoops »

I have watched burg and west both play the same opponent, burg dominated, while west was lucky to get out of there with a win pirates 28-7

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Yet another week 10 installment of West-Burg for all the marbles. We’ve all been waiting on this one for weeks now.

Burgs tough schedule is paying dividends at this point in the season, cake walking through the conference this far. West has sleep walked through everyone except Waverly.

The last 2 times these two teams have played they have been neck and neck going back to the playoff game at Burg 2 years ago. Burg sounds like they are finding more of an offensive identity with a stout defense. West has definitely improved a lot through the air, but the run is the bread and butter as usual. Burg running the ball more definitely plays to Wests advantage. Although I hope they try to force the spread if its as bad as a lot have claimed on here.

Many people have compared scores and that’s fine but it really is not a great representation. West put Minford away early, and took the foot off the gas. I think they easily could have had the same score. Waverly was a game, but to me that is just not a favorable matchup for west with their offensive style. Smash mouth football is where we match up well, and if that’s the battle Burg wants to get into, I feel confident in that. I remember many people comparing those exact games last year and gave the nod to burg because of it.

Last year was a perfect game. No penalties for either team if I recall, and a perfectly coached game from West. We 5 yarded, 4 yarded, 3 yarded up and down the field to control the clock and come out with a win. I think Burg is a favorite . Add it being at Burg I have them as a 10-14 point favorite. But if we can keep the game low scoring, force a few turnovers and don’t give them easy field position I am more than confident we can repeat. Same game plan as last year. If burg score 21+ it just isn’t gonna happen. We won’t be able to get in a shoot out.

Every West Sider needs to get there and fill that hillside up. Be loud and give it more cowbell than ever. Keep the Gold ball in Sider country

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

I agree with about all these posts
Wheelersburg has played a tougher schedule

West will have to play their best game of the year but they are capable. West matches up athletically. West must match them physically, get lined up, read their keys, and play sound on special teams.

West can throw the ball and they have an athletic quarterback who can run.

Main thing is all the West kids have beat Wheelersburg. Most have played several games in that stadium in High School and Junior High. They believe they can win and they won’t be intimidated.

The Nature Boy
JV Team

Post by The Nature Boy »

I think this all comes down to which Burg team shows up. The one that kept coming back on HP and played four quarters or the one that scores fast and thinks its over like last year. West is well coached and can do damage on offense. I think their defense is their week spot but if they can come out and bust Burg in the mouth, then we have a ballgame. Burg needs to come out and go full tilt to win. If they don't, the Siders will go back Route 52 with the Gold Ball.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

The Nature Boy wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:35 am I think this all comes down to which Burg team shows up. The one that kept coming back on HP and played four quarters or the one that scores fast and thinks its over like last year. West is well coached and can do damage on offense. I think their defense is their week spot but if they can come out and bust Burg in the mouth, then we have a ballgame. Burg needs to come out and go full tilt to win. If they don't, the Siders will go back Route 52 with the Gold Ball.
Going off of what you said Wheelersburg has a history of coming out quick. They’ve done it this year and it happened last year. Last year West took the first punch but didn’t panic. They staggered and punched back. I expect the same has to happen here. Wheelersburg coming off the loss last year and at home is gonna come out with a bunch of energy. West has to hang in there and get their second wind and settle in. If they do that till the half all the pressure goes to Wheelersburg

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

Burg wins 24-6 defense smothers west

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

I would have to assume that both teams will be ready for this one! SOC title and home playoffs all on the line. This will be a chess match of speed versus power. Preparation and adjustments will play key in victory. Too bad this couldn’t be on a Saturday, could you imagine the gate $ lol. I’m excited for this one and obviously someone has to win, but I just don’t know who at this point.
Great game atmosphere for scioto county.

WWE HALL OF FAME
522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

Can’t wait to find out!

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

This is not last year.

Burgs defense in my opinion is very similar to their state run. They may even be more deep. Extremely good against the run and their pass defense is really good too. The line backer play might be a little less than Carmichael
but this years group has gotten a lot better since the year has started. This burg defense held the SOC rushing leader to 14 yards rushing. If burg gets to 21 points offensively, not only will they win this game, they can win the region.

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

wobycat wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:41 pm This is not last year.

Burgs defense in my opinion is very similar to their state run. They may even be more deep. Extremely good against the run and their pass defense is really good too. The line backer play might be a little less than Carmichael
but this years group has gotten a lot better since the year has started. This burg defense held the SOC rushing leader to 14 yards rushing. If burg gets to 21 points offensively, not only will they win this game, they can win the region.
Yes very similar to the state team. They are very athletic on both sides of the ball. I think west has the physicality, but won’t go as far to say that they match athletes with burg. Someone stated earlier that the west defense would be a weak spot and I think they may be on to something. A couple games come to mind that really makes me wonder just how good are they? Special teams may be the deciding factor, everyone knows burg always has a few tricks up their “legs” lol

WWE HALL OF FAME
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

MrPerfect wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:33 pm

Yes very similar to the state team. They are very athletic on both sides of the ball. I think west has the physicality, but won’t go as far to say that they match athletes with burg. Someone stated earlier that the west defense would be a weak spot and I think they may be on to something. A couple games come to mind that really makes me wonder just how good are they? Special teams may be the deciding factor, everyone knows burg always has a few tricks up their “legs” lol
Earlier in season burg was struggling to move ball without a turnover or some sort of consistency. Something clicked in the second half of the prep game and they have been building on that. Now burg hasn’t faced a stingy defense yet since then but they look more fluid out there. Their state team had the offense to go with the defense. I think this offense is real similar to that offense too. Small back in the back field and multiple receivers to throw to. The difference is obviously Salyers had more experience over rucker at this point and tanner holden isn’t on the team but I will say that lattimore is pretty good but evans may becoming a stud right before the pirates eyes. He’s really looking good.

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

Are you seriously comparing this team to the state team?

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:51 pm

I don’t think that’s what he’s doing. Kind of like when you say he’s a poor man’s Michael Jordan. Similar but not on same level obviously because they don’t have anyone close to holden

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

fbnut wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:58 pm
SWHITE2002 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:51 pm

I don’t think that’s what he’s doing. Kind of like when you say he’s a poor man’s Michael Jordan. Similar but not on same level obviously because they don’t have anyone close to holden
Or Carmichael
Or Salyers
Or …

You could have 2 Holdens on this team and they aren’t State Level
Wide receiver isn’t the problem.

Return to “Football”