Wow, Eastern with its 4th opponent this week (Eastern v Coal Grove)

transplant
SE

Re: Wow, Eastern with its 4th opponent this week (Eastern v Coal Grove)

Post by transplant »

I agree, my question in all this was the timing, just didn't add up. Thanks for the info. Glad all teams that were able to play got to play.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Voice of Reason wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:15 am I had this explained to me by a Valley coach on Friday... Both Valley and Coal Grove were still open to play on Thursday. Valley had to cancel with Greenup and were in contact with Eastern to play on Friday. Eastern then said they had been contacted by Coal Grove to play. Once that happened Coal Grove should have called Valley about playing, not Eastern. Valley was without a game until Mclain canceled with NW late on Thursday. Coal Grove did not cancel to give Valley time to find another game... They canceled with full intention of finding another opponent. If the contact tracing thing were true, they would have called Valley back on Thursday and said they were good to go.
This.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Right, if CG was calling for a game, first call should have been to Valley right?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Voice of Reason wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:15 am I had this explained to me by a Valley coach on Friday... Both Valley and Coal Grove were still open to play on Thursday. Valley had to cancel with Greenup and were in contact with Eastern to play on Friday. Eastern then said they had been contacted by Coal Grove to play. Once that happened Coal Grove should have called Valley about playing, not Eastern. Valley was without a game until Mclain canceled with NW late on Thursday. Coal Grove did not cancel to give Valley time to find another game... They canceled with full intention of finding another opponent. If the contact tracing thing were true, they would have called Valley back on Thursday and said they were good to go.
That's very strange because when I seen it posted about CG and Eastern it was on Friday that it was confirmed and made official. Valley and Eastern are already scheduled to play in week 5. Definitely doesn't add up for sure but Valley was also in contact to get Eastern and had no problem playing them twice, so going against NW twice shouldn't be a problem either then. Once Valley found out about CG getting ahold of Eastern they should've just made a call back to CG and called them out on it. Again if that's how it all unfolded, which doesn't really matter since everyone ended up with a game. Now I've heard Coal Grove was closed Monday and Tuesday this week and back in mask come Wednesday. Just going to be a tough year for teams and there's plenty a few teams that might play a team a couple times.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

greygoose wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:32 am
That's very strange because when I seen it posted about CG and Eastern it was on Friday that it was confirmed and made official. Valley and Eastern are already scheduled to play in week 5. Definitely doesn't add up for sure but Valley was also in contact to get Eastern and had no problem playing them twice, so going against NW twice shouldn't be a problem either then. Once Valley found out about CG getting ahold of Eastern they should've just made a call back to CG and called them out on it. Again if that's how it all unfolded, which doesn't really matter since everyone ended up with a game. Now I've heard Coal Grove was closed Monday and Tuesday this week and back in mask come Wednesday. Just going to be a tough year for teams and there's plenty a few teams that might play a team a couple times.
When Valley contacted Eastern, Eastern had already heard from Coal Grove. If that doesn't tell you something doesn't add up then I am not sure what will.

Like you said it all worked out but now Valley is playing NW twice. Not ideal. I just find it strange that when Coal Grove decided to play, their first call was Eastern rather than the team they were under contract to play who was still looking for a game. It doesn't pass the smell test at all.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

CG must have lost their smell..taste as well?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:19 pm
When Valley contacted Eastern, Eastern had already heard from Coal Grove. If that doesn't tell you something doesn't add up then I am not sure what will.

Like you said it all worked out but now Valley is playing NW twice. Not ideal. I just find it strange that when Coal Grove decided to play, their first call was Eastern rather than the team they were under contract to play who was still looking for a game. It doesn't pass the smell test at all.
Oh for sure, if I was Valley I would've given CG a call and asked them what the heck was going on.

Bo_Diaz
JV Team

Post by Bo_Diaz »

CG canceled Wednesday with Valley. They contacted Eastern on Thursday rather than contacting Valley. Valley had nothing in place, their first call should have been Valley. Eastern and Southern didn't cancel until Thursday afternoon... Valley contacted them. Valley was still open. Eastern said CG had contacted them about playing. So in less than 24 hours, CG canceled, contact traced, went from unavailable to available, and did not contact the team they were contracted to play. They canceled on Valley and for whatever reason did not want to play them. I'm glad that both teams were able to play, but this was a shady move by the Hornets.

Bo_Diaz
JV Team

Post by Bo_Diaz »

greygoose wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:52 pm
Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:19 pm

Oh for sure, if I was Valley I would've given CG a call and asked them what the heck was going on.

I was told that call was made.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Bo_Diaz wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:55 pm CG canceled Wednesday with Valley. They contacted Eastern on Thursday rather than contacting Valley. Valley had nothing in place, their first call should have been Valley. Eastern and Southern didn't cancel until Thursday afternoon... Valley contacted them. Valley was still open. Eastern said CG had contacted them about playing. So in less than 24 hours, CG canceled, contact traced, went from unavailable to available, and did not contact the team they were contracted to play. They canceled on Valley and for whatever reason did not want to play them. I'm glad that both teams were able to play, but this was a shady move by the Hornets.
For Eastern, Wahama was in place after Southern had canceled and then moved on to CG. Really does look shady if you're CG, I'm just glad it all worked out. Only thing is not sure why CG would have any reason not to play valley unless they were looking for the for sure win after what happened to them week 1. Still think Valley and CG would've been a toss up and really a good game much better than what CG ended up doing against Eastern.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

greygoose wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:04 pm
Bo_Diaz wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:55 pm CG canceled Wednesday with Valley. They contacted Eastern on Thursday rather than contacting Valley. Valley had nothing in place, their first call should have been Valley. Eastern and Southern didn't cancel until Thursday afternoon... Valley contacted them. Valley was still open. Eastern said CG had contacted them about playing. So in less than 24 hours, CG canceled, contact traced, went from unavailable to available, and did not contact the team they were contracted to play. They canceled on Valley and for whatever reason did not want to play them. I'm glad that both teams were able to play, but this was a shady move by the Hornets.
For Eastern, Wahama was in place after Southern had canceled and then moved on to CG. Really does look shady if you're CG, I'm just glad it all worked out. Only thing is not sure why CG would have any reason not to play valley unless they were looking for the for sure win after what happened to them week 1. Still think Valley and CG would've been a toss up and really a good game much better than what CG ended up doing against Eastern.
It is completely shady.

There is no doubt that CG-Valley would have been a better matchup.

Until someone gives a reason otherwise, it sure looks like Coal Grove said "we are looking at losses to BU, Meigs, Portsmouth, Gallia, Ironton, and Fairland. We better pick up Eastern, get a win and hope they beat Green, East, and Southeastern and get to 4 wins and maybe at 4-6 we can sneak in".

Outside looking in, this looks like someone at CG did some math and figured this was their best route. They used contact tracing to make the switch.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

all about them playoff points

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott

Return to “Football”