RD 3: Ready at Burg

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Re: RD 3: Ready at Burg

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Hopefully It's a good game. My son lives out off Hague ave. on the West side about a mile from Ready high school and I've been out there a couple times this week and since I was there decided to stop and watch them practice in the rain and cold. The pads were popping. They've never had a football home field, just a grass practice field due to limited space on a very small campus area in a old 1950's type neighborhood. They don't have all the luxuries and fancy facilities of the other CCL teams but will always be competitive, play hard and give it what they got. The SouthWest side is a tough blue collar area of Columbus so hopefully both teams bring their lunch buckets and play well.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

bbjunky81 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:33 am I think it really just depends on how the QB from Ashland and the RB from Dayton can avoid pressure to make plays...

:lol: :lol:

All jokes aside... I'll take BigBlueNation's word for it, he seems to have done enough research to know how this matchup shakes out.

I'll go with Burg by 2 touchdowns, 28-14..

.... and if so that sets up a really fun showdown with Ridgewood! Would love to see that one.
Don't take my word for it, I'm wrong all the time. Lol

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Swung by the Ready practice again today. Helmets, pads, sweats/shorts (They use the baseball dugout for changing and the outfield for practice). Coaches had 5 different stations going for 1 1/2 hrs. non-stop . D and O line butting heads at one end of field and on the sled, Lb's , corners and safeties running schemes and hitting tackling dummies at midfield, qb's and rb's running plays with just the center on another part of the field, wideouts and slot receiver trios running pass routes against secondary. The 2 kickers practiced onside, pooch, angled kickoffs and punting the full practice time. This should be a pretty good matchup and competitive. I chuckled to myself in the car when they had a few gallon jugs with rocks and shook them to simulate noise ( a burg tradition) while they were running offensive plays. It's a quiet old neighborhood and it got pretty loud. :lol:

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
GoBigI
Freshman Team

Post by GoBigI »

Burg 28
Ready 22

Good luck with Ridgewood. Hopefully we both take care of business and meet at The Tank in 3 weeks.

GoBigI
Freshman Team

Post by GoBigI »

wobycat wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:51 am
Paulcrew wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:41 am
spider2Ybanana wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:44 pm

Lattimore is going to be a very good back for Wheelersburg, and has already shown a good skillset but in my opinion, he has not learned to run behind his pads yet. At times he shows a burst into and out of the hole, and has very good quickness laterally, but I don't see him as a "pound the rock" running back (YET). He has good size already, and speed to go with it and if he can add some more physicality to his run game, he will be very very good.
25 carries a game is a lot of carries.
especially against good competition. Running 25 times against Oak Hill is one thing, but 25 carries against tougher Regional opponents is a big ask. He has great upside though. Any D1 schools looking at him? Is he as good as the Carter kid from Ironton?
I have not seen Carter really play but lattimore in my opinion could be the best back burg has ever had. Now he still has work to do but he’s short, big body and low to the ground but with explosive bursting speed. He’s not a shifty back. He’s a power runner. His twin brother is more of that mold. He doesn’t have break away speed but he’s fast enough that if he’s a step on a defender, he’s not going to get caught but he’s not going to pull away. The two lattimore kids are going to be really good football players for the burg.
Carter and Lattimore are completely different backs. Lattimore is a low center of gravity power back with enough speed to break some long runs. I don’t see him as a home run threat but he could definitely be a 20 carry 200 yards a game bruiser back. Tackling Lattimore in the 3rd and 4th quarters is not gonna be fun. Carter is a taller, muscular type back who runs with a low pad level. He may be a bit more polished in the backfield than Lattimore and is noticeably faster but will probably never carry the ball 20 times a game. He’s a great back as well but is even better on the defensive side of the ball. It’s great to see 2 amazing Sophomore backs in D5 only 20 minutes from each other. Both are going to be very successful along with their Sophomore teammates.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Burg just needs to continue to run the ball with some passes mixed in here and there. I believe Burg can become a ball control run team if needed. Big o-line they can run behind and control the clock with the backs they have.

If they establish the run game early sure does open up that play action pass.

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

In my honest opinion Carter & West [ Ironton] are both gonna be considerably more talented/explosive backs than the Lattimore kid from Burg. Thats not to take anything at all away from Lattimore as he is a bruising, work horse type of back who is young, BUT......he's simply not as talented.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

SpeedKillz wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:41 pm In my honest opinion Carter & West [ Ironton] are both gonna be considerably more talented/explosive backs than the Lattimore kid from Burg. Thats not to take anything at all away from Lattimore as he is a bruising, work horse type of back who is young, BUT......he's simply not as talented.
I can’t comment on carter and west because I simply haven’t watched them but your evaluation of lattimore is extremely way off. He’s highly talented.

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

wobycat wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:56 pm
SpeedKillz wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:41 pm In my honest opinion Carter & West [ Ironton] are both gonna be considerably more talented/explosive backs than the Lattimore kid from Burg. Thats not to take anything at all away from Lattimore as he is a bruising, work horse type of back who is young, BUT......he's simply not as talented.
I can’t comment on carter and west because I simply haven’t watched them but your evaluation of lattimore is extremely way off. He’s highly talented.
Agreed hes talented for sure. Just not AS talented. Not yet.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

SpeedKillz wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:58 pm
wobycat wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:56 pm
Agreed hes talented for sure. Just not AS talented. Not yet.
I don’t know. I’ll have to take your word for it. I just know the burg kid might end up being the best back burg has had. His twin brother is right behind him talent wise. Just not that big.

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

Any streaming of tonight's game?

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

callie15 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:10 pm Any streaming of tonight's game?
I believe it will be the same stream as always on the Wheelersburg School website link. I haven’t heard any different so far.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Great game Pirates. Ready had probably one of the biggest offensive lines I've ever seen for a D V high school team. I bet they averaged around 6'6" and 290 and the defensive line wasn't far off.

Burg was able to make some big time plays late and pulled this one out. I'm not so sure they didn't let Burg score to go up by 10 because even if they hold on 4th and 2 from the 3 yard line they would have to drive the length of the field, which would have ate up a lot of clock and then kick either a FG and then still have to recover the onside kick. I think it was a smart play by them and they almost pulled it off.

Burg moves on to face the Ridgewood Generals. First time Burg has ever traveled to there place.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Bishop ready was legit. Their QB looked like a D1 potential. Different offense but I would put him a little above shanks from Waverly because of his size. Burg just beat a really really good team. I give them a good chance against ridgewood.

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

Burg playing without one of the lit key linemen in number 54 but his subs seemed to get the job done for the most part

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

wobycat wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:23 pm Bishop ready was legit. Their QB looked like a D1 potential. Different offense but I would put him a little above shanks from Waverly because of his size. Burg just beat a really really good team. I give them a good chance against ridgewood.
I like there chances as well.

It is up there and it is on grass. Has Burg even played on grass this year? They just can't give up the long passes this year like they did last year and get a few hits on the QB. They never hit him once last year. he just sat back there and picked them apart.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:28 pm
wobycat wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:23 pm Bishop ready was legit. Their QB looked like a D1 potential. Different offense but I would put him a little above shanks from Waverly because of his size. Burg just beat a really really good team. I give them a good chance against ridgewood.

It is up there and it is on grass. Has Burg even played on grass this year? They just can't give up the long passes this year like they did last year and get a few hits on the QB. They never hit him once last year. he just sat back there and picked them apart.
Played west on grass this year. Ridgewood is tough. I think burg will prepare well for this one and be ready.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

wobycat wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:31 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:28 pm

Played west on grass this year. Ridgewood is tough. I think burg will prepare well for this one and be ready.
That's right, they did. Burg has to control the clock and keep Ridgewood O on the sideline. They proved they can do that tonight but for some reason got away from it. Don't understand how you go away from something that is working. If it isn't broke then don't fix it. When Burg went Jumbo with Richardson in the backfield and either Swords or Lattimore running the ball they controlled the game. They can do that against RW. This years Burg team is way better than last years team. JMO

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Great win tonight Pirates!!! I agree, Ready is a good football team. Keep plugging away and I believe we beat the Generals next week. I’ll be there cheering you on. Ridgewood’s field looks great but not looking forward to the 3 hour drive.

184E5B2D-71D0-4F53-A9CB-E4B7202D8A0E.png

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:17 pm Great game Pirates. Ready had probably one of the biggest offensive lines I've ever seen for a D V high school team. I bet they averaged around 6'6" and 290 and the defensive line wasn't far off.

Burg was able to make some big time plays late and pulled this one out. I'm not so sure they didn't let Burg score to go up by 10 because even if they hold on 4th and 2 from the 3 yard line they would have to drive the length of the field, which would have ate up a lot of clock and then kick either a FG and then still have to recover the onside kick. I think it was a smart play by them and they almost pulled it off.

Burg moves on to face the Ridgewood Generals. First time Burg has ever traveled to there place.
Ready must have brought a different o-line with them. They were no where near that size last week against Northwest.

Return to “Football”