RD 2 : Tri Valley (6-1) @ Jackson (5-1)

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: RD 2 : Tri Valley (6-1) @ Jackson (5-1)

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

loganlocos wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:38 am
teach1coach2 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:49 pm Tri-Valley's skill position players are mostly 2 or 3 year starters. Graduated some key linemen last year. Broke in some younger guys on the line after a butt kicking by Sheridan.

If it weren't for COVID this is definitely a game I might have mad the trip to watch.
Same here, Locos.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

I'll take the Ironmen by the slimmest of margins

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
LBD0263
Riding the Bench

Post by LBD0263 »

Limit the penalties and turnovers, big Red rolls.

Ironteam21
Waterboy

Post by Ironteam21 »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:54 pm One thing not yet mentioned (but I bet coaches have)...Jackson had 15 penalties last game. There is really no way that isn’t crippling in trying to win. There will always be a couple holding calls, a full start or two, maybe an encroachment but 15 cannot happen and survive. I know the coaching staff is on it but wanted to put it on here as it’s a big factor. Last year it seemed the personal foul penalties would come at bad times....they’ve really improved there but need a pretty clean game to beat Tri Valley
I agree but they'll need more than a clean game, it'll have to be near perfect. Can't have mistakes this week at all or else we'll take a spanking at Alumni. Maybe the coaching staff will be on a different level this week and hopefully we can piece together a win.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Probably one of the bigger/better match-ups in the area tbh. Man I don't know about this one, before last week I would have said based on what teach1coach1 said about Tri-Valley that Jackson would be the favorite. Not sure now, should be a pretty good game from sounds of it.

Ironteam21
Waterboy

Post by Ironteam21 »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:53 pm Probably one of the bigger/better match-ups in the area tbh. Man I don't know about this one, before last week I would have said based on what teach1coach1 said about Tri-Valley that Jackson would be the favorite. Not sure now, should be a pretty good game from sounds of it.
Honestly I see this game going one of two ways, its either going to be a toss up and both teams will be able to win or the ironmen will be spiteful after dropping the came to chillicothe and they come out red hot mad and spank Tri-valley in alumni. EIther way this game will be an interesting one to watch.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Ironteam21 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:44 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:54 pm One thing not yet mentioned (but I bet coaches have)...Jackson had 15 penalties last game. There is really no way that isn’t crippling in trying to win. There will always be a couple holding calls, a full start or two, maybe an encroachment but 15 cannot happen and survive. I know the coaching staff is on it but wanted to put it on here as it’s a big factor. Last year it seemed the personal foul penalties would come at bad times....they’ve really improved there but need a pretty clean game to beat Tri Valley
I agree but they'll need more than a clean game, it'll have to be near perfect. Can't have mistakes this week at all or else we'll take a spanking at Alumni. Maybe the coaching staff will be on a different level this week and hopefully we can piece together a win.
I don’t know....I think if we have 5-6 penalties and a turnover and can win still as long as playmakers are making plays.

I’ve certainly been wrong before.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Ironman92 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:00 pm
I don’t know....I think if we have 5-6 penalties and a turnover and can win still as long as playmakers are making plays.

Yes, wouldn’t expect anything less than your humble ways I92. But I’ll say it for ya....ya sure are right a lot more than you are wrong. Block tackle take care of the football and make the plays when the plays are there to be made. Good recipe for the Ironmen this week.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Some random thoughts:

Tri-Valley should be the best defense Jackson has faced this year. Linebackers have quickness and tackle well. DBs cover pretty well and will fight for the interception when possible. Besides Sheridan, 16 is the most points the defense has allowed by a first team.

Tri-Valley will not have a better line than Jackson. They will fight to be as close to a stalemate as possible. Tri-Valley has won a couple games this year where the line play for the other team was better, but Tri-Valley D kept the other team's score below what the offense could produce.

Tri-Valley has a 3 year starter at QB. As a sophomore he was something special. Was not healthy his whole junior year and the first 5 games this year was not in the groove. Has been back to sophomore form the last couple weeks. He scrambles well to keep passing plays alive.

One running back is a bruiser and usually breaks a couple tackles before going down, if he does get in the open he has good speed. The other running back has great speed and flashy moves. Some games he looks great and other games is a non-factor.

Sheridan has lost to Tri-Valley 11 of the last 15 years. Before that Sheridan owned Tri-Valley. The Sheridan seniors are a very talented group and they had never beat Tri-Valley. The game was 6-0 at half. The second half Tri-Valley got it's ass beat and some players didn't give much effort. They (mostly seniors) found themselves on the bench the next game. Since then, some fought hard to get their job back and some lost it for good to a good sophomore class.

Jackson had their "Sheridan moment" at the end of the Chilli game. You have to believe a maximum effort is coming no matter the score.

Although this is not one of the best Tri-Valley teams since the program took off in 2006, it is a very good team and the kids expect to win. The freshmen were standing on the sideline three years ago when Tri-Valley beat Hartley, Akron St V St M and lost by 8 to Trotwood in a state championship game.

This may be one of the best match ups in the state for week 8. Should be a lot of fun for the kids. Both teams work all year for an opportunity like this. If Jackson wins, I wish them the best against Hartley..........still like Tri-Valley in a close game.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

teach1coach2 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:51 pm Some random thoughts:

Tri-Valley should be the best defense Jackson has faced this year. Linebackers have quickness and tackle well. DBs cover pretty well and will fight for the interception when possible. Besides Sheridan, 16 is the most points the defense has allowed by a first team.

Tri-Valley will not have a better line than Jackson. They will fight to be as close to a stalemate as possible. Tri-Valley has won a couple games this year where the line play for the other team was better, but Tri-Valley D kept the other team's score below what the offense could produce.

Tri-Valley has a 3 year starter at QB. As a sophomore he was something special. Was not healthy his whole junior year and the first 5 games this year was not in the groove. Has been back to sophomore form the last couple weeks. He scrambles well to keep passing plays alive.

One running back is a bruiser and usually breaks a couple tackles before going down, if he does get in the open he has good speed. The other running back has great speed and flashy moves. Some games he looks great and other games is a non-factor.

Sheridan has lost to Tri-Valley 11 of the last 15 years. Before that Sheridan owned Tri-Valley. The Sheridan seniors are a very talented group and they had never beat Tri-Valley. The game was 6-0 at half. The second half Tri-Valley got it's ass beat and some players didn't give much effort. They (mostly seniors) found themselves on the bench the next game. Since then, some fought hard to get their job back and some lost it for good to a good sophomore class.

Jackson had their "Sheridan moment" at the end of the Chilli game. You have to believe a maximum effort is coming no matter the score.

Although this is not one of the best Tri-Valley teams since the program took off in 2006, it is a very good team and the kids expect to win. The freshmen were standing on the sideline three years ago when Tri-Valley beat Hartley, Akron St V St M and lost by 8 to Trotwood in a state championship game.

This may be one of the best match ups in the state for week 8. Should be a lot of fun for the kids. Both teams work all year for an opportunity like this. If Jackson wins, I wish them the best against Hartley..........still like Tri-Valley in a close game.

Great post with lots of info.....like it all but the last sentence😬

Like to know a little more as to why a group of seniors that were on a state runner up team as underclassmen would come out in a 2nd half to 6-0 score to rival type opponent and give zero effort. Loose their starting jobs. And some permanent. Seems very odd

For the game run down. I believe Jackson has enough skill kids to play the passing game of TV. It’s the “thunder and lightning” RB duo that causes all my concern for this Jackson team. Previous years Jackson prided theirselves on being a physical stop the run defense. In 2020 Jackson has struggled with teams that ran the ball effectively. The Ironmen will definitely have to be better than they have been all year against the run come Friday night.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Sheridan could have easily been up on Tri-Valley by 4 or 5 TDs by the end of the first half. Sheridan marched up and down the field, but TV would have a defensive stop or get a turnover to halt the drive. In the second half when Sheridan started finishing drives and TV was struggling to get a first down, there was no doubt some TV kids fought hard to the end. But also, a wide receiver was running routes on running plays. Defensive assuming a running back is down because a couple TV players have a hold of him and he busts through the tackle and goes to the house. Guys not trying to run down a player ahead of them headed to the end zone. Effort on blocking not up to par. Actually the type of things allowed to happen the previous two seasons.

It might make more sense if I back up a little. Buttermore was the Tri-Valley coach from 2004 to 2017. His last game at TV was the state championship game. He went to Granville for 2 years and is now the head coach at Upper Arlington. He will win a state title before he leaves there. He is a knowledgeable strength coach. Give him a year or two and the core strength of all the players in the program will be top notch. He is also a really good football coach and it obviously helps to have strong kids. When he left TV, current TV coach Cam West went to Granville with him. The school hired a retired Ohio Hall of Fame instead of a top Buttermore assistant (that coach is now the head coach at West Muskingum). The entire HS football staff quit. This coach was from a different era. He could care less about weight lifting and long practices. He wanted to just go play with superior players and win due to that. TV should have been 9-1 or 10-0 each season and gone 2 or 3 rounds into the playoffs. TV went 10-2 in 2018 and 7-3 in 2019. IMO the 5 games TV lost over those 2 years were teams that should not have beat TV. Sheridan was better both years IMO and TV played lights out to beat them both years. The team was undisciplined and earned lots of personal foul penalties. The job opened after after the 2019 season and Cam West came back to be the head coach at Tri-Valley and some of the old coaching staff came back to coaching. He is working to get the program back on the track.

Tri-Valley football teams were dominant in the MVL area from about 2007 through 2016 at all levels from biddy league through varsity. Over the last few years lower level teams have not been dominant. Some average and some below average. I think Tri-Valley will still maintain winning records in the foreseeable future, but producing good playoff teams year after year is far from certain.

Assuming Jackson stays about the same level it has been the last decade. You would much rather play TV about 5 years from now vs now and certainly rather play TV now vs about 5 years ago.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

teach1coach2 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:34 pm Sheridan could have easily been up on Tri-Valley by 4 or 5 TDs by the end of the first half. Sheridan marched up and down the field, but TV would have a defensive stop or get a turnover to halt the drive. In the second half when Sheridan started finishing drives and TV was struggling to get a first down, there was no doubt some TV kids fought hard to the end. But also, a wide receiver was running routes on running plays. Defensive assuming a running back is down because a couple TV players have a hold of him and he busts through the tackle and goes to the house. Guys not trying to run down a player ahead of them headed to the end zone. Effort on blocking not up to par. Actually the type of things allowed to happen the previous two seasons.

It might make more sense if I back up a little. Buttermore was the Tri-Valley coach from 2004 to 2017. His last game at TV was the state championship game. He went to Granville for 2 years and is now the head coach at Upper Arlington. He will win a state title before he leaves there. He is a knowledgeable strength coach. Give him a year or two and the core strength of all the players in the program will be top notch. He is also a really good football coach and it obviously helps to have strong kids. When he left TV, current TV coach Cam West went to Granville with him. The school hired a retired Ohio Hall of Fame instead of a top Buttermore assistant (that coach is now the head coach at West Muskingum). The entire HS football staff quit. This coach was from a different era. He could care less about weight lifting and long practices. He wanted to just go play with superior players and win due to that. TV should have been 9-1 or 10-0 each season and gone 2 or 3 rounds into the playoffs. TV went 10-2 in 2018 and 7-3 in 2019. IMO the 5 games TV lost over those 2 years were teams that should not have beat TV. Sheridan was better both years IMO and TV played lights out to beat them both years. The team was undisciplined and earned lots of personal foul penalties. The job opened after after the 2019 season and Cam West came back to be the head coach at Tri-Valley and some of the old coaching staff came back to coaching. He is working to get the program back on the track.

Tri-Valley football teams were dominant in the MVL area from about 2007 through 2016 at all levels from biddy league through varsity. Over the last few years lower level teams have not been dominant. Some average and some below average. I think Tri-Valley will still maintain winning records in the foreseeable future, but producing good playoff teams year after year is far from certain.

Assuming Jackson stays about the same level it has been the last decade. You would much rather play TV about 5 years from now vs now and certainly rather play TV now vs about 5 years ago.
Definitely agree that the two Kevin Fell Scottie teams didn't play at the same level as the Buttermore teams. And I don't think it can all be blamed on a talent gap.

Ironteam21
Waterboy

Post by Ironteam21 »

Normally I'd agree, but after the lack of effort against chillicothe in the second half I have my worries. We need a solid game; we put that together and I guarantee this coaching staff and these seniors will pull one out. One thing a lot of people from SEO seem to forget is this program has slowly progressed for the last 15 years. We get stronger, faster, and more disciplined as the years go by. Coaching staff won't settle for anything less than that.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

teach1coach2 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:34 pm Sheridan could have easily been up on Tri-Valley by 4 or 5 TDs by the end of the first half. Sheridan marched up and down the field, but TV would have a defensive stop or get a turnover to halt the drive. In the second half when Sheridan started finishing drives and TV was struggling to get a first down, there was no doubt some TV kids fought hard to the end. But also, a wide receiver was running routes on running plays. Defensive assuming a running back is down because a couple TV players have a hold of him and he busts through the tackle and goes to the house. Guys not trying to run down a player ahead of them headed to the end zone. Effort on blocking not up to par. Actually the type of things allowed to happen the previous two seasons.

True to form teach1coach2. Much love as always towards buttermores way. It is much deserved. The fence with MVL Titles and State Play-Offs In the end zone At TV is quite impressive. I concur that buttermore will win at UA which you have said since he went there; that buttermore will win state with UA.
Jackson folks could relate to a guy such as Buttermore with the heavy emphasis of wining football games in January by Puttin Calluses on your hands from slingin weights all off-season. We like that around the Iron City.

I thought the move of Jackson Head Coach Andy Hall by recognizing the tradition of Tri-Valley with a tweet from
@ironmenfb Showing the fence of years n years of consecutive MVL Titles/Play-off appearances was first class.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Game day thoughts I92..??????

Jackson Football
Freshman Team

Post by Jackson Football »

Gut check time for Jackson.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

countywide35 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:40 pm

Better be ready to fight but be disciplined and then make the plays. A true playoff battle.

Hearing we have a player out to injury.....I think we need him somewhere on each side of the ball. Hope my info is incorrect though.

They say the cream rises.....it’s go time

Good Luck boys

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Long night for the ironman--Tri Valley-- Wins BIG!!!!!

Tommy Chong
Freshman Team

Post by Tommy Chong »

vcgrad wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:53 pm Long night for the ironman--Tri Valley-- Wins BIG!!!!!
And if anyone knows long nights it’s vc. Bye troll

3sUp
Varsity

Post by 3sUp »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:48 pm
countywide35 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:40 pm

Better be ready to fight but be disciplined and then make the plays. A true playoff battle.

Hearing we have a player out to injury.....I think we need him somewhere on each side of the ball. Hope my info is incorrect though.

They say the cream rises.....it’s go time

Good Luck boys
I’m hearing the same thing about the player being out. Huge loss. Good luck tonight Ironmen.

Return to “Football”