League play only schedule

Basketballfan40
Freshman Team

Re: League play only schedule

Post by Basketballfan40 »

BigBlueNation wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:08 pm Was told today that 2 of the SOC 2 teams was struggling with numbers. Was told Valley and Oak hill had less than 30 kids. Can anyone verify this.
From looking at team photos, I think you are right on the spot.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

bigblue: so Notre Dame may have more kids out than Oak Hill and Valley? Definitely did not see that coming. With that said, Valley has some real players in that bunch regardless of the lack of overall numbers.*

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

art_vandelay wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:04 pm bigblue: so Notre Dame may have more kids out than Oak Hill and Valley? Definitely did not see that coming. With that said, Valley has some real players in that bunch regardless of the lack of overall numbers.*
Thats what I was told. I know it's surprising. Yes Valley does.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

BigBlueNation wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:16 pm
art_vandelay wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:04 pm bigblue: so Notre Dame may have more kids out than Oak Hill and Valley? Definitely did not see that coming. With that said, Valley has some real players in that bunch regardless of the lack of overall numbers.*
Thats what I was told. I know it's surprising. Yes Valley does.
Valley is young and pretty good but they will struggle with depth. I think oak hill is similar

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly has 60+

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Ovc 6 game schedules
Attachments
C06A9935-BC84-490B-9EB5-65DCED21FE35.jpeg

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

art_vandelay wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:26 pm
BigBlueNation wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:08 pm Was told today that 2 of the SOC 2 teams was struggling with numbers. Was told Valley and Oak hill had less than 30 kids. Can anyone verify this.
Haven't heard but would just make more likely the scenario of Northwest coming back up to SOC II in 2021, with Oak Hill probably going back down to SOC I.

While we're at it, anybody heard of SOC I numbers?*
I’ve heard they are considering moving northwest back up. Is this true

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:54 pm
art_vandelay wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:26 pm
Haven't heard but would just make more likely the scenario of Northwest coming back up to SOC II in 2021, with Oak Hill probably going back down to SOC I.

While we're at it, anybody heard of SOC I numbers?*
I’ve heard they are considering moving northwest back up. Is this true
Hadn't heard for sure when. Maybe next year.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

I know ppl are surprised by Valley but they were just a few kids away from being DVII, so naturally the numbers will go down. ND has been young last couple years so numbers are getting there. Waverly and Burg both have over 60-70 kids. I believe Portsmouth West is around 50 or so. Northwest has grown leaps and bounds and sitting on 60 plus as well. Eastern I've heard are in that 40 range, quite a jump for them. Symmes Valley is a team that typically fields about 30-40 each year and I'm going to guess P East is lower number since they've been dropping over last 3-4 years. Green is another I've heard is right around 30 or so. I think for some of these smaller schools they've seen quite a jump in players and kids wanting to get out with this pandemic could be part of the reason.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

greygoose wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:55 pm
Yeah I know Logan has no league and have said I felt there's plenty of opportunities, hopefully, for them to get games in. However you do realize a 7 team league means they'll get 6 weeks in and there's no bye week?? 7 teams and obviously the 1 can't play themselves so that's 6 opponents left.
Right. But with an odd number of teams each week there are three league games (6 teams) and then 1 team without a league opponent. It would take 7 weeks to play 6 league opponents (which is why Logan can schedule Athens and Meigs in weeks 6 and 8 respectively on a 10-game schedule).

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

loganlocos wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:05 am
greygoose wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:55 pm
Yeah I know Logan has no league and have said I felt there's plenty of opportunities, hopefully, for them to get games in. However you do realize a 7 team league means they'll get 6 weeks in and there's no bye week?? 7 teams and obviously the 1 can't play themselves so that's 6 opponents left.
Right. But with an odd number of teams each week there are three league games (6 teams) and then 1 team without a league opponent. It would take 7 weeks to play 6 league opponents (which is why Logan can schedule Athens and Meigs in weeks 6 and 8 respectively on a 10-game schedule).
Yeah this is true, didn't think about the odd number.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

greygoose wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:08 am ND has been young last couple years so numbers are getting there.
The thing to keep in mind regarding Notre Dame is there is a big difference between having ~30 players on the roster and actually having ~30 game-eligible players come week 4, which would be the first week transfers become ineligible for the rest of the year. ND had a very thin roster to start last year that was further decimated by injuries, some of which were supposedly brutal. They’re also coming off an 0-10 season, and while Coach Ashley is a good coach I had observed the staff and players not responding well at all on the sidelines in a game where they were just getting ran over. So resetting morale and changing the narrative of the program, both in a better direction, is a pretty hard task to do in a year’s time. Factor in the unprecedented pandemic and the subjective concerns related to that and the further constriction on the ability to pay tuition given the economic situation, and skepticism reigns that — barring an unusual spike in incoming freshmen enrollment — ND has been able to dramatically turn their fortunes in participation in such a short time without the help of outside transfers.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

formerfcfan wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:42 am
greygoose wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:08 am ND has been young last couple years so numbers are getting there.
The thing to keep in mind regarding Notre Dame is there is a big difference between having ~30 players on the roster and actually having ~30 game-eligible players come week 4, which would be the first week transfers become ineligible for the rest of the year. ND had a very thin roster to start last year that was further decimated by injuries, some of which were supposedly brutal. They’re also coming off an 0-10 season, and while Coach Ashley is a good coach I had observed the staff and players not responding well at all on the sidelines in a game where they were just getting ran over. So resetting morale and changing the narrative of the program, both in a better direction, is a pretty hard task to do in a year’s time. Factor in the unprecedented pandemic and the subjective concerns related to that and the further constriction on the ability to pay tuition given the economic situation, and skepticism reigns that — barring an unusual spike in incoming freshmen enrollment — ND has been able to dramatically turn their fortunes in participation in such a short time without the help of outside transfers.
Doubting they had a large influx of freshman, because last year's junior high season was canceled because of numbers. Then shortly before the season they got enough but some teams had already filled the void when they canceled.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

formerfcfan wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:42 am

Good point...ND and Valley having roughly same amount of numbers doesn't mean much. Notre Dame had like 27 kids last year and still went 0-10 and barely finished the season. Better way to look at rosters is how many upperclassmen are there, and how many kids are over 180lbs, instead of just looking at total number of kids in uniforms.*

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

College football conferences are falling like dominos. First the Mac and now two power 5 conferences. Will hs follow suit

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Basketballfan40
Freshman Team

Post by Basketballfan40 »

The SOC 2 took the same order of conference games and just moved them up starting week 2. First games for the teams should be found soon.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:05 pm College football conferences are falling like dominos. First the Mac and now two power 5 conferences. Will hs follow suit
No

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

I agree.
I think they are going to play high school football in Ohio or at least start it.
That 6 game schedule and playoffs was a "Plea Bargain" IMO.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Wheelersburg’s six game schedule

Chillicothe Away
Minford Home
Oak Hill Home
Waverly Away
Valley Home
West Away

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best

Return to “Football”