Ohio High School Coaches Fall Sports Proposal

Football_fanatic
Waterboy

Re: Ohio High School Coaches Fall Sports Proposal

Post by Football_fanatic »

Here is a very good and interesting (lengthy as well) article from the CDC on the importance of reopening schools this fall:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... hools.html

To save time reading -- the CDC thinks it's important to get kids back into school with precautions. I would definitely agree.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Football_fanatic wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:21 am Here is a very good and interesting (lengthy as well) article from the CDC on the importance of reopening schools this fall:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... hools.html

To save time reading -- the CDC thinks it's important to get kids back into school with precautions. I would definitely agree.
Yeah but Fairfield county doesn’t recommend.

Prime Time
S

Post by Prime Time »

Every week will be rolling the the dice, this isn’t going away any time soon. Virus is among us and to think groups of people in stadiums and Buildings not spreading this is dreaming at this point. Until a vaccine is out there it’s a crap shoot every day. Good luck thou.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

art_vandelay wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:27 am
formerfcfan wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:40 pm
wobycat wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:38 pm

Health department has no jurisdiction over schools.
I see you didn’t read the part of the article where it says “it is believed that every school in Fairfield County will follow through with the health department’s recommendations.”

formerfcfan: will Fisher follow this as well? I’d think smaller private schools would do what they want cause anything short of full-time, in-person schooling going to be a problem for them with regards to people paying tuition.

I still think OHSAA shooting for at least a partial regular season and full playoffs as there might not be an OHSAA come 2021 if not.*
That's a good question.

I don't believe they will follow the recommendation, currently. The school already operated at half-capacity (more like 35-40% capacity) before this hit, so social distancing would've been possible in the first place and they had plans and procedures to "fully re-open" for five days/week instruction. Their operation plans for this coming year would've been tiered: 5 days/week in-person is still the plan. If the public health situation and advisories suggested then they would do "hybrid learning" instead. If the necessary they would do fully remote. Their plan all along was to the Ohio Department of Health and the Ohio Dept. of Education, with additional guidance from the Diocese.

It's not that they don't respect the recommendation and the thought that the county health board put behind it -- heck, the county health commissioner is right across the street from the school and they have working relationships! I know that the school has a lot of questions about what precisely the health department's concerns are regarding general return-to-school and what FC's return-to-school plans are, what the school can do to stay ahead of this and re-open smart.

It was suggested that the board of health may have had particular concerns about the re-opening plans for two districts in particular (Lancaster and Amanda-Clearcreek). It's been reported, and still anticipated, that there will be "school-jumping" over this summer to enroll students into schools with full re-opening and commitments to play sports. So the suspicion was the board of health recommended all of the county's schools to "play fair" and be united in not re-opening & not playing fall sports. Liberty Union is one of the districts that is reported to see a student exodus, as the only plan for re-opening their BOE approved was one in which the school will be 100% remote learning with no sports if/when Fairfield County is Level 3 "Red" (the county has been Level 3 for the past three weeks now.) Berne Union announced that they have shutdown all of their summer activities immediately after the health department's recommendation. I'm hearing that there are some questions the local districts are having about whether they will be dropped by the health insurance provider or see premium spikes if they ignore the local health department recommendation to not re-open (FC doesn't really have this problem I don't think, as the Diocese has it already worked out with their provider.)

So, we'll see. No clear answers right now, other than they're planning on staying the course until there's more reason to follow the recommendation and not re-open. If they're the only one's open, then they might join the rest of their neighbors and not re-open. If the ODE/ODH say "hey, consider not re-opening" then that's another thing.

Return to “Football”