Wellston(0) @ (35)Jackson

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Re: WK1 Wellston @ Jackson (8/26)

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

Dandy Don wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:10 am After spending from 6:55 until 7:30 on the street leading in from Main Street until where you turn up the hill, being greeted by an extremely unpleasant lady as I tried to politely explain to her the traffic situation still looming behind me that was being caused so that the $2 admission could be collected to see the 8th wonder of the world, we finally got parked and got seated.

No sense with a long analysis here. We played hard on both sides of the ball initially then just failed to get any momentum and eventually a school twice as big takes advantage and adds some scores. Would have like to have seen some other kids gets some touches on O, not sure why that didn't happen, but it did feel like there were improvements from last year's Week 1 outing.

Not belaboring this but this game is not a good decision for us Week 1. Could care less about the gate every 2 years. It has not only been an almost certain 0-1 start but it causes a lot of community strife-discussion-chatter every year amongst everyone as soon as the season starts. You don't need that in Week 1 it has a carryover effect to Week 2/3 and beyond, just not needed from a loss but not needed for getting people fired/stirred up. If the gate is $20k every 2 years then find a way to raise $10k in both years and ditch this game until we reach a point in the program where it makes sense to play it again.

In 2019 how about some cops at the intersection at bottom of hill directing traffic and more than 2 people (and maybe someone that can smile) collecting money. Just a random thought.

We should get back on track next week with a trip and a win at Huntington.
man i sit in that line for 38 minutes lol

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

I say it every year, and it looks like people are starting to agree with me, but this game shouldn't be played. I fully understand that it's about a pay day for the two schools, but that's literally the only benefit. I've harped about it for a long time, and it doesn't appear to be changing any time soon, so I'll just stop there.

Anyway, I thought Jackson stuck to the basics offensively and didn't really show much. The offensive line played pretty well, other than several false starts. They're an experienced group, and should really be a strength for this team. Icenhower managed the game very well, was effective as a runner, and showed that he can also be a talented passer. I look forward to seeing what he can do as the season progresses. Jackson is loaded with several talented RBs, and some solid receivers as well, so they should be very effective as well.

The Jackson defense played very well. They're a bit undersized up front, but they make up for that with quickness and their understanding of leverage. As a whole, I really feel good about Jackson's defensive unit. Other than getting beat deep on one pass play, they looked pretty dominant. There will be some big challenges as the season goes on, but pitching a shut out in the opener is a good starting point, and should build a lot of confidence.

Wellston really did play pretty well, even though a 35-0 score doesn't show it. Their offensive line was pretty impressive, and I thought their defense was very solid as well. I agree with others who have said that they will win a handful of games this year. Good luck to them.

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Game should be stopped but schools to worried about that cash. and why does jackson care they start 1-0

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:33 pm Game should be stopped but schools to worried about that cash. and why does jackson care they start 1-0
I don't know about anyone else, but I care because I wanna win playoff games. I want Jackson to play the best competition they can each week so that if they're fortunate enough to make it to Week 11, they'll be prepared for the caliber of team they will see there.

Jackson has done a pretty good job the last few years of scheduling some tough out of conference competition. I think it helped because they have been a little more successful in their most recent playoff appearances. I want Jackson to take the next step. It's nothing against Wellston, but playing a D5 school that has been struggling for a while does nothing for Jackson, other than give them a solid amount of cash in Week 1. Every once in a while, Wellston will win a game in this series, but those times are few and far between, as history shows us.

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

ironman02 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:43 pm
X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:33 pm Game should be stopped but schools to worried about that cash. and why does jackson care they start 1-0
I don't know about anyone else, but I care because I wanna win playoff games. I want Jackson to play the best competition they can each week so that if they're fortunate enough to make it to Week 11, they'll be prepared for the caliber of team they will see there.

Jackson has done a pretty good job the last few years of scheduling some tough out of conference competition. I think it helped because they have been a little more successful in their most recent playoff appearances. I want Jackson to take the next step. It's nothing against Wellston, but playing a D5 school that has been struggling for a while does nothing for Jackson, other than give them a solid amount of cash in Week 1. Every once in a while, Wellston will win a game in this series, but those times are few and far between, as history shows us.
i care also id like to see wellston go into week two and beyond with a win every now and then

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:37 pm

i care also id like to see wellston go into week two and beyond with a win every now and then
Yep, what ^^^^ they said.

Call the AD and suggest a change, have a few ideas/solutions in mind to offset his canned money-gate response for how we will offset the difference.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Dandy Don wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:43 pm
X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:37 pm

Yep, what ^^^^ they said.

Call the AD and suggest a change, have a few ideas/solutions in mind to offset his canned money-gate response for how we will offset the difference.

Jackson vs Logan week 1

Wellston vs oak hill week 1

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Dandy Don wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:10 am After spending from 6:55 until 7:30 on the street leading in from Main Street until where you turn up the hill, being greeted by an extremely unpleasant lady as I tried to politely explain to her the traffic situation still looming behind me that was being caused so that the $2 admission could be collected to see the 8th wonder of the world, we finally got parked and got seated.

No sense with a long analysis here. We played hard on both sides of the ball initially then just failed to get any momentum and eventually a school twice as big takes advantage and adds some scores. Would have like to have seen some other kids gets some touches on O, not sure why that didn't happen, but it did feel like there were improvements from last year's Week 1 outing.

Not belaboring this but this game is not a good decision for us Week 1. Could care less about the gate every 2 years. It has not only been an almost certain 0-1 start but it causes a lot of community strife-discussion-chatter every year amongst everyone as soon as the season starts. You don't need that in Week 1 it has a carryover effect to Week 2/3 and beyond, just not needed from a loss but not needed for getting people fired/stirred up. If the gate is $20k every 2 years then find a way to raise $10k in both years and ditch this game until we reach a point in the program where it makes sense to play it again.

In 2019 how about some cops at the intersection at bottom of hill directing traffic and more than 2 people (and maybe someone that can smile) collecting money. Just a random thought.

I came in Rt 139 at 7:15 and was 3rd car back...paid my $2 to nice lady and went up and parked.

Can't wait till next year to park randomly about a Wellston side street and pray my car doesn't get vandalized in some small form. Then get there 2 hours before game and not be able to get a seat...no no, I know it'll suck so I'll just stay at home...sounds like you should've too.

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:28 pm

I came in Rt 139 at 7:15 and was 3rd car back...paid my $2 to nice lady and went up and parked.

Can't wait till next year to park randomly about a Wellston side street and pray my car doesn't get vandalized in some small form. Then get there 2 hours before game and not be able to get a seat...no no, I know it'll suck so I'll just stay at home...sounds like you should've too.
lol true statement but you can pay dollars and park in practice field lol

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:44 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:28 pm

lol true statement but you can pay dollars and park in practice field lol
Did you say pay? Lol

True story...I waited in line longer to get into Wellston XC meet than I did Jackson/Wellston game, but I also went in on 327 as to see some of the course and could've went on on 93 side and saved time. Hester Cosby was very nice though. I know though that I can't bitch about the slow line as I made small talk when it was my turn, but that doesn't go for everybody 8-)

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

True story, what Main St to the "ticket booth" is what 3/4 mile or so maybe longer?

Call it 4000 ft, what avg car 20-25 feet? That means 200 cars including mine didn't know or think about the double secret side entrance.

And small talk wasn't on my mind after a 25 minute wait, simply politely suggested they have some traffic control and more than 2 people taking money. News flash lots of fans come to the game. Prepare.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Dandy Don wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:35 pm True story, what Main St to the "ticket booth" is what 3/4 mile or so maybe longer?

Call it 4000 ft, what avg car 20-25 feet? That means 200 cars including mine didn't know or think about the double secret side entrance.

And small talk wasn't on my mind after a 25 minute wait, simply politely suggested they have some traffic control and more than 2 people taking money. News flash lots of fans come to the game. Prepare.
Newsflash ...in sure the lady taking the money for her child's sporting group wasn't in on the decision making or preparation. Should've came in the other side ha ha.

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

I was simply stupid lol coming in near kfc should have known better

24sevenfootball
Riding the Bench

Post by 24sevenfootball »

Taking nothing away from Wellston because they are a good team, but people did not see the real Jackson. Jackson knew it was a win and did the absolute bare min to win the game. They passed maybe 1 or 2 times , the rest was pounding up the middle, never running outside. I heard there were several teams there scouting Jackson and the coaching staff decided to show them nothing! Smart move in my opinion

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Dandy Don wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:38 pm Learn something every day.

We have no passing game and will be down 35 at halftime.
Well agree with the no passing Game but you was down 35-0 at the end of 4 not 2

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

Heard this series may end after the 2018 game. My understanding is it all depends on if Wellston and Oak Hill can work out a week one match up.

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Lets hope so

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

I have mixed feelings but it's probably time

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

It would just be nice for the players of wellston to have a chance at 1-0

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

Poo Bear wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:20 pm
Dandy Don wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:38 pm Learn something every day.

We have no passing game and will be down 35 at halftime.
Well agree with the no passing Game but you was down 35-0 at the end of 4 not 2
Facetious - see definition Poo, flippant humorous response, not-serious.

Above post you quote was from first page immediately following your boy Southie's prediction that Wellston doesn't has a passing game followed by your boy 24/7-Football's prediction of the 5 touchdown lead at half.

To reply to that I indicated learn something every day and repeated them. Try and keep up. You are the center of academic excellence down there after all.

With respect to the news this series may end. Unfortunate but I believe a necessity and will benefit both schools in the long run. Nothing lasts forever.

Week 2 please.

Return to “Football”