Minford 28 Vinton County 21

BondRoad Bandit
Freshman Team

Re: Minford @ Vinton county Your Thoughts !!

Post by BondRoad Bandit »

14U wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:24 am The question is who replaces Wiget? This time of year into the season bring in new runningback with none or little experience is going to hurt Minford plus his defense position. They might get by this game but then it gets tougher!! Hope Minford gets it all worked out for the up coming schedule waverly, burg and valley.
I believe it will be Volgesong and Risner both of who have been playing running back and are pretty good as well. I think the coaches will have them focused and ready to get back on track and finish the year strong.

BondRoad Bandit
Freshman Team

FalconFever02 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:49 am
falcon1 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:47 am
greygoose wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:54 pm

Yeah Vinton a 1-5 team who has been beaten by Fairfield union 2-4, Alexander 3-3 and Meigs 2-4 isn't even in the same talks with West in terms of comparisons. So yeah saying physical is a pretty loose term.
Lets not get to cocky ! I think 2 years ago we lost to a 0 and 9 team !! :oops:
You are correct, Minford can lose this football game if they do not show up focused and ready to play. I hope this game wasn't already lost this week with poor preparation or lack of focus during practice.
The coaches definitely won’t let them be unfocused or unprepared to much at risk if you lose this game.

syyoung
Waterboy

Post by syyoung »

What exactly was the injury to Wiget? I seen him limping off the field in the game against West, but I had no idea that he sustained an injury that would sideline him for the season until reading this thread. Even though Minford has other guys that are very capable of playing the position, losing an athlete like Wiget is going to be a big blow, no matter what. I hope they can keep it together moving forward as well, but it's going to be much more difficult to secure a spot in the playoffs this year without the star running back for the remainder of the season.

BondRoad Bandit
Freshman Team

syyoung wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:25 pm What exactly was the injury to Wiget? I seen him limping off the field in the game against West, but I had no idea that he sustained an injury that would sideline him for the season until reading this thread. Even though Minford has other guys that are very capable of playing the position, losing an athlete like Wiget is going to be a big blow, no matter what. I hope they can keep it together moving forward as well, but it's going to be much more difficult to secure a spot in the playoffs this year without the star running back for the remainder of the season.
MCL tear

Slothman
Freshman Team

Post by Slothman »

Minford big , but if the Vikings that played in game two show up it may end up being a good game.

syyoung
Waterboy

Post by syyoung »

BondRoad Bandit wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:15 pm
syyoung wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:25 pm What exactly was the injury to Wiget? I seen him limping off the field in the game against West, but I had no idea that he sustained an injury that would sideline him for the season until reading this thread. Even though Minford has other guys that are very capable of playing the position, losing an athlete like Wiget is going to be a big blow, no matter what. I hope they can keep it together moving forward as well, but it's going to be much more difficult to secure a spot in the playoffs this year without the star running back for the remainder of the season.
MCL tear
Thank you for the update. I follow the team all season, but I'm just a fan and getting any injury information isn't something I would normally come by if it weren't for the information people provide on here. That's a devastating injury, but hopefully he is able to recover and be ready for next season. Minford will really have big shoes to fill for the remainder of the season, but I think they've overachieved what a lot of people expected this year. They have a talented group of kids playing there, and they are well coached. One thing I think a lot of people overlook is the defense. A lot of people can say Minford hasn't played anybody this year, but the defense has virtually shut down everything it's seen aside from the West game. And West had some pretty aggressive playcalling, going for it on 4th down deep in their own territory, and they just had an enormous offensive line that Minford couldn't seem to get through. Missed tackles are clearly a problem on defense, but coaching can surely clean that up. But overall, I just wanted to compliment what they've accomplished so far this season, as I think they've been overlooked. I really only expect Minford to lose one more from here if they can still move the ball well offensively, but certainly I think the last two games could be a tossup. Waverly is depleted with many injuries now as well, and Valley can be tough to handle at times. It's going to be interesting from here. Thanks for the update on Wiget though. I wish him and the Falcons the best moving forward from here!

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Vinton County-14
Minford-7

Half

Rocket Booster
Riding the Bench

Post by Rocket Booster »

Go Vikes!

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Go VC

BondRoad Bandit
Freshman Team

Minford with 2 defensive touchdowns to close the game 28-21 wow you could tell missing those starters hurt in the first half, but the young guys stepped up big time for the falcons!!!! #5 for VC was a stud.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Spot on again, nice win minford. Missing all those starters and still pulled it off.

Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

heard on the radio that minford had more than a 130 yards in penalties and they still managed to win.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Reds Fan wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:10 am heard on the radio that minford had more than a 130 yards in penalties and they still managed to win.
Kind of strange, southeastern went to VC and lost because of turnovers but they had a bunch of penalties. :?: In this case minford was able to overcome though

Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

greygoose wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:26 am
Reds Fan wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:10 am heard on the radio that minford had more than a 130 yards in penalties and they still managed to win.
Kind of strange, southeastern went to VC and lost because of turnovers but they had a bunch of penalties. :?: In this case minford was able to overcome though
I listened to the last quarter and it sounded like to me that Vc kinda chocked it and Minford capitalized on the Vc turnovers. sounded like a crazy game.

eagles14
Waterboy

Post by eagles14 »

vinton county shot themselves in the foot . Minford was able to capitalize defensive wise . Vinton played inspired football and Minford is soft .

falcon1
Varsity

Post by falcon1 »

eagles14 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:00 pm vinton county shot themselves in the foot . Minford was able to capitalize defensive wise . Vinton played inspired football and Minford is soft .
Let's take away 6 of your starters and see how soft you are!

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

falcon1 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:01 pm
eagles14 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:00 pm vinton county shot themselves in the foot . Minford was able to capitalize defensive wise . Vinton played inspired football and Minford is soft .
3 play for Jackson, 2 for wellston. One was hurt in the 2nd quarter and one in the 4th. So we were down quite a few as well.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:22 pm hawkeyepierce!
Thank You! This helps clear things up somewhat. I probably should not have used the word ( Recruit ) at all. This happens all the time and will continue to happen. I think the number ( 5 ) is what caught my attention. 1st. I don't have an Axe to grind with Jackson. I don't even know a whole lot about them, other than that there Fans are very supportive of there football team. 2nd. I feel sorry for V. C. for whatever reason that this happened. Losing 5 Kids at one time is quite a shock regardless of the circumstances. 3rd. I'm sorry for Minford that I let this get away from the thread at hand.
Yates and Spires are new this year and start

Prater now starts as a freshman an has been at Jackson schools since 6th grade

Younger Spires (Evan) is new this year and gets good playing time but doesn’t start (maybe did this week vs MT)

Ruckel was in Jackson in 3rd grade and does not live in Wellston....lives smack in the middle of Jackson and has as long as I’ve known him.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Dundas wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:39 pm
3 play for Jackson, 2 for wellston. One was hurt in the 2nd quarter and one in the 4th. So we were down quite a few as well.
You've got to get over players leaving, you've practiced without them and played without them ALL year. Not the same as Minford by any stretch of the imagination. So you lost 1 guy in the 2nd quarter and 1 in the 4th, period. You've game planned all year without the people that transferred out, you guys fix things in house and that stuff won't happen but for some reason the entire VC area blames the kids and parents and act like the VC program is perfect and why should they ever leave. You're 1-6 and haven't been relevant in football since the 90s these are harsh words but something maybe people in the VC area need to really understand, fix your program from within and you won't lose players and you'll get more players come out.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

greygoose wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:01 pm
Dundas wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:39 pm

You've got to get over players leaving, you've practiced without them and played without them ALL year. Not the same as Minford by any stretch of the imagination. So you lost 1 guy in the 2nd quarter and 1 in the 4th, period. You've game planned all year without the people that transferred out, you guys fix things in house and that stuff won't happen but for some reason the entire VC area blames the kids and parents and act like the VC program is perfect and why should they ever leave. You're 1-6 and haven't been relevant in football since the 90s these are harsh words but something maybe people in the VC area need to really understand, fix your program from within and you won't lose players and you'll get more players come out.

It was also our Freshman qb’s second start. I could make plenty of points as to why this game shouldn’t have been close on our side but the fact is, the kids played hard and nearly pulled off a huge upset. If not for the multiple mistakes in the 4th, they played extremely well. VC is 2 overtime’s and a 4th quarter meltdown from being 4-3 and in a playoff spot in DIV. 1-6 sucks but this team is talented. They just don’t execute consistently. We have 6 seniors. We’ll get better.

Return to “Football”