wk1 Gallia Acadamy at Meigs

me22
Waterboy

Re: wk1 Gallia Acadamy at Meigs

Post by me22 »

GAHS needs to find a running back who can take some of the work load off of the QB. 10 runs hard but seems to lack vision and isn't going to make defenders miss him very often. Way too many plays starting and ending with the ball in the QB's hands. Not very hard to defend a zone read style running play if the defense knows the QB is going to keep it a very high percentage of the time. Really think they should consider moving the QB to RB and playing someone at QB who can/will distribute the ball around more. Defense was not supposed to be Meigs strong point but we only managed 12 points against them---going to be another long season for GAHS if they cant find a way to generate more offense

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

Doesn't matter what offense they run if they can cut down on penalties. 10 penalties for almost 120 yards killed offense and defense. Offense was opened up a little more this week but your right no way we can have QB run ball on about 55% of snaps. Not sure they have a running back to hand the ball to on a consistent basis. need a controlled safe passing game on first and second down and use that as a help to the run game. Inexperienced team that played better every quarter. Not sure you could of expected much more.

me22
Waterboy

Post by me22 »

kvnchambers wrote:Doesn't matter what offense they run if they can cut down on penalties. 10 penalties for almost 120 yards killed offense and defense. Offense was opened up a little more this week but your right no way we can have QB run ball on about 55% of snaps. Not sure they have a running back to hand the ball to on a consistent basis. need a controlled safe passing game on first and second down and use that as a help to the run game. Inexperienced team that played better every quarter. Not sure you could of expected much more.

Agree and disagree ---The penalties were a problem but I saw at least two penalties against the GAHS defense that I thought were bad calls. The roughing the passer against 65 was not a late hit and was a good technique take down. The other was a late hit and while the runner was probably down by contact when the hit occurred the whistle had not been blown and the runner was still moving when the hit occurred. I also disagree about the level of experienced players on this team---Maybe lacking experience at a few positions but I saw a good number of juniors and seniors on the field--a typical level of experience for any HS team in my opinion. If they truly don't have another running back then the QB should be moved to RB---play the freshman QB---he may struggle for a few games but it will pay off later in the year and in the years to come

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

I don't disagree with the grades these kids are in. There are a bunch of seniors out there. But i think only 8 of the 14 seniors on this football team are kids that have played football in this program for four years. I do believe 2 of those seniors are first year football players 2. Also because of the numbers this program has had last couple of years a lot of j.v. and freshmen games cancelled. So that is why i say lack of experience these kids have not played a lot of football. As far as 2 penalties you talk about roughing the passer on 65 i don't think it was because of late hit. But that hit was definitely above the shoulders and am pretty sure it was considered helmet to helmet. If the late hit penalty is the one that was called on number 32 . It was just so late it was ridiculous and obvious. if it was another call maybe your right. The only call i really questioned was intentional grounding call. But not sure that was a horrible call because of how far out of bounce he threw it.

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

As far as freshmen QB goes i don't see him as much of a runner so moving Carter to running back would not give you another threat. As far as playing kid goes if he is ready to play at that level no problem with it. But if kid not ready to play he could get himself or his teammates hurt.

me22
Waterboy

Post by me22 »

If the freshman QB can distribute the ball and manage a short passing game he wouldn't need to be a great runner. Carter is a great runner but nothing special as a passer and is probably throws the deep ball better than the shorter stuff but the o-line seldom protects long enough for long routes to develop.----Need other players to get more touches (Henry, Bailey etc.) Carter will be out with an injury before long if he has to do it all---

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

Don't disagree with anything in your last post. Carter is a better drop back QB then sprint out QB. The freshmen just the opposite. I think we have at least 5 skill players if used right could make us dynamic

bevo
Varsity

Post by bevo »

kvnchambers wrote:Don't disagree with anything in your last post. Carter is a better drop back QB then sprint out QB. The freshmen just the opposite. I think we have at least 5 skill players if used right could make us dynamic
Carter is neither a drop back or read opt QB! HE doesn't see the defenders when he throws! I've painfully watched this for 2 yrs. I think he is a bigger running threat as a QB not a RB, most of his big runs come because of deception not running ability. This team lacks speed!! we may have 1 or 2 fast guys ,but not at several positions. Meigs defended the read opt. by the book in the 1st qtr Carter did a great job and got almost 60 yds, 2nd qtr on they just hit the qb because he never gives it to the rb. great adjustment by Bartrum. We don't have a freshman any where near being ready to play QB at Gallia Academy, if the kid could pass who is going to catch it? WE always said RV had no talent! Now were depending on RV talent to win football games , lol

bevo
Varsity

Post by bevo »

kvnchambers wrote:Don't disagree with anything in your last post. Carter is a better drop back QB then sprint out QB. The freshmen just the opposite. I think we have at least 5 skill players if used right could make us dynamic
Please name those 5???

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Blue must be more diversified! No excuses!

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

get them next week blue

me22
Waterboy

Post by me22 »

Never thought I would say this but,----BRING BACK THE WING T !!!! :122246

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

Sure the 5 if used properly would be
Hively
henry
burns
Bailey
Russell
and Ward
None of these kids on there own. Can be used to dominate another team but if we gave ward 10 carries a game and gave the ball to henry and bailey 10 carries between them. Carter would be much more effective then we did run. Then if we would throw the ball 15 to 20 times a game we could move the ball effectively. We threw it 18 times at Meigs so that is not a crazy number. And we have open receivers on almost every pass play. As far as Freshman QB goes i think if he had a little game experience at J.V. level he would be okay.

If we are going to keep offense as is we need to take the read option out and take out plays where QB has run pass option. on a lot of those plays he tucks the ball as soon as it is snapped and never looks to throw. I think he ran the ball like 32 times last week and not sure that his number was actually called more then about 15 times. The other kids that carried the ball friday averaged about 6 yards a carry so it is not like they were in effective.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Bevo wrote:
Carter is neither a drop back or read opt QB! HE doesn't see the defenders when he throws! I've painfully watched this for 2 yrs. I think he is a bigger running threat as a QB not a RB, most of his big runs come because of deception not running ability. This team lacks speed!! we may have 1 or 2 fast guys ,but not at several positions. Meigs defended the read opt. by the book in the 1st qtr Carter did a great job and got almost 60 yds, 2nd qtr on they just hit the qb because he never gives it to the rb. great adjustment by Bartrum. We don't have a freshman any where near being ready to play QB at Gallia Academy, if the kid could pass who is going to catch it? WE always said RV had no talent! Now were depending on RV talent to win football games , lol
This is nothing new Bevo. Gallipolis has always benefitted from RV kids. Donnie Johnson is the one that got away when I was in school. He's one of the best ever to play at Gallipolis. I don't blame Donnie for one second playing there. Things have changed a bit now. Fewer kids are jumping ship.

bevo
Varsity

Post by bevo »

BlizzardMan wrote:
Bevo wrote:
This is nothing new Bevo. Gallipolis has always benefitted from RV kids. Donnie Johnson is the one that got away when I was in school. He's one of the best ever to play at Gallipolis. I don't blame Donnie for one second playing there. Things have changed a bit now. Fewer kids are jumping ship.
YEA BUDDY! But Donnie was a Ball Player! These kids are common, Carter might start at RV on defense or at RB???
How long have you been alive?
Do you remember David White?
Do you remember Rick Smith?
I have been following Blue Devil Football since he 1960's I know a thing or 2 about defectors leaving schools to play at another! LOL YOUNG MAN!
Last edited by bevo on Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bevo
Varsity

Post by bevo »

kvnchambers wrote:Sure the 5 if used properly would be
Hively
henry
burns
Bailey
Russell
and Ward
None of these kids on there own. Can be used to dominate another team but if we gave ward 10 carries a game and gave the ball to henry and bailey 10 carries between them. Carter would be much more effective then we did run. Then if we would throw the ball 15 to 20 times a game we could move the ball effectively. We threw it 18 times at Meigs so that is not a crazy number. And we have open receivers on almost every pass play. As far as Freshman QB goes i think if he had a little game experience at J.V. level he would be okay.

If we are going to keep offense as is we need to take the read option out and take out plays where QB has run pass option. on a lot of those plays he tucks the ball as soon as it is snapped and never looks to throw. I think he ran the ball like 32 times last week and not sure that his number was actually called more then about 15 times. The other kids that carried the ball friday averaged about 6 yards a carry so it is not like they were in effective.
If we averaged 6 yards a carry on what 3 carries? Dude can you ever admit were way down on talent this year?
I thought you really had some talent your talking about? These kids you mentioned are not much better than their backups, I think focus is a big problem with this team,kids seen to care less if they win or not just glad to be out there!

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

I think they are much better then their back-ups. Do any of them have great breakaway speed no... i in no way ever stated they did. Did not even say that these kids could start at any other school.... Did not say this team has talent of any above .500 team that Gallia has had in a long time. If you look through my posts you won't find that anywhere last year i thought carter was faster then he was and i was wrong. but that is only one of these kids i have compared to anyone. I just know last year we had kids running away from us all the time. This year against portsmouth and Wheelersburg and Meigs we were not just blown by with speed. To me that is quicker then last year... And if you would spread the ball among these kids you could get the most out of all of them.... That is all i have said anywhere this year. I thought this team could compete in 7 games this year. So far they are one for one for competing. You seem to think i am talking playoff or league champions. I thought this team was probably a 3-7 team. Still feel that way. they may go 0-10. I don't know how good there competition will be. I am just saying they can compete with out stars if they work as a team. Don't know why you took it as anything else. I have no delusions of this being a great team or there being a great team in the mix for next several years but does not mean they can't compete and win ball games.

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

Bevo

I guess the way i would put it. Is i choose to look at the positives in the players we have on the team now and what i think they can do as a team instead of worrying or complaining about what this team lacks. I can do this without having wild expectations or distorting what these kids talents are. I said that together they could be a dynamic offense... now you may have a different definition of dynamic then i do. But to me dynamic is hard to stop. If you disagree we just disagree no sleep lost here. I just don't believe every week i need to talk about what this team doesn't have. Now when they don't perform basic plays and basic things i think they can do. i will state they under performed. just my way of looking at it.

bevo
Varsity

Post by bevo »

kvnchambers wrote:Bevo

I guess the way i would put it. Is i choose to look at the positives in the players we have on the team now and what i think they can do as a team instead of worrying or complaining about what this team lacks. I can do this without having wild expectations or distorting what these kids talents are. I said that together they could be a dynamic offense... now you may have a different definition of dynamic then i do. But to me dynamic is hard to stop. If you disagree we just disagree no sleep lost here. I just don't believe every week i need to talk about what this team doesn't have. Now when they don't perform basic plays and basic things i think they can do. i will state they under performed. just my way of looking at it.
Not complaining, just stating the obvious! With exception of a couple of players this whole team looks like they could care less if they are playing football or not. That is the mindset in all sports at GA now. When I watched the kids on the sidelines when were down 20 points I see clowning around on the sidelines, Sr's coming off the field sitting on the bench chatting with each other like it's just something to do. You think this group is dynamic?? Dynamic is "characterized by constant change, activity, or progress", we have made no progress!! Were worse than last year!! Wholesale coaching changes is all that's going to change this mess!

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

Well we disagree hope you have a great week.

Return to “Football”