IRONTON vs WHEELERSBURG

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: IRONTON vs WHEELERSBURG

Post by wobycat »

fbnut wrote:
28Buck wrote:Im not sure if you are serious IronBurg....this is perhaps the worst the Burg has been in 20 years..
I was thinking more like the last 40 hrs. Shears is very good and I think he is a very good ball player but I wouldn't describe him as very fast, at least not football fast. He will have to takeover games, like shank last yr for this team to have a chance to finish better than .500. A ( shank-valley) type effort in 4-5 games.
Shears is football fast. I think he was the fourth fastest at the QB at the camp he was invited to. I think he runs a 4.58 forty.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

it is dang near football friday night.

IronBurg_89
Waterboy

Post by IronBurg_89 »

wobycat wrote:
fbnut wrote:
28Buck wrote:Im not sure if you are serious IronBurg....this is perhaps the worst the Burg has been in 20 years..
I was thinking more like the last 40 hrs. Shears is very good and I think he is a very good ball player but I wouldn't describe him as very fast, at least not football fast. He will have to takeover games, like shank last yr for this team to have a chance to finish better than .500. A ( shank-valley) type effort in 4-5 games.
Shears is football fast. I think he was the fourth fastest at the QB at the camp he was invited to. I think he runs a 4.58 forty.

First off tigerfan98'' if you read my post right you will see that I never stated that the burg backs were faster I said that they are very strong and they are! and yes one of the backs is on the relay track team, just imagine back in 09 if they would have put Shears at QB and Lang, Shankweiler, and Craigmiles in the backfield, a four headed monster and all of them at 4.5 and faster in the 40 scary if you ask me..

And second: ''28buck'' I don't know much about the history of burg football and could care less? that was the past? this is 20 yrs later and can't change it but you can measure talent? but not a players HEART!! that's all I was eluding too and yes the burg has fine program and a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!! cant ever take that away and wasn't even supposed to win that game, sounds like a pattern for this year looming.

And third: ''fbnut'' Shears has speed and game speed he can and has ran with Shankweiler if you watched games last year then you seen Shears out run Shank down the side lines to pickup blocks, and if you was at the fredericktown game last year you also seen Shears take over the game when the freddie's shut down Shank, Shears provided the spark and nearly threw for 300 yards & 2 tds about all of that was out of the pocket and ability I don't recall any team last year or in the scrimmages this year shutting Shears down not even (IRONTON) last year they may have sacked him but didn't stop him, he still put up decent numbers by reading last years stats for that game he had around 80 yards passing and close to 50 yards rushing when they called upon him and that was a rushing game offense built around one player. He is more than capable of taking a game over and will show that come friday he must be accounted for, I think the only person's to ground him was the burg coach's they stopped him!! And getting back to your speed question? talking to a family friend, Alex was invited by ESPN RISE back in may to attend the NIKE QB ELITE 11 at Ohio State University and there he competed against the TOP 3 QB's in the country and held his own at camp. I guess will see what we will see this year....
Last edited by IronBurg_89 on Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

IronBurg_89 wrote:First of all they are young!! second, they are not slow by know means? on defense the line backers are very quick and the secondary has a lot of speed, which nobody got to see saturday against jackson a few were not suited and showed on some pass plays down field they were missed? the DE's have decent speed again some suited some not! and it proved to be costly with out these men on the field overall. The burg is some what small in area's and average in other area's, size isn't everything it's the young men's hart that will decide the game by staying in the fight! or letting another team knock them around and out of the game. On offense they have more speed than they have had in several years the receiving core all have good hands, speed and very athletic, the backs are strong and fight for the extra yard, the line on both sides of the ball hold the keys to burg's success and those kids have been working hard the for several weeks they know what's at stake! and the second string kids are coming along they know they could be called on at any time, another kid that's not being talked about and should be is the only returning starter on offense and that is the senior QB alex shears a big strong kid very fast, can throw and extend plays with his feet very dangerous once he breaks the pocket and has done well in burg's scrimmages. on defense he hits very hard, from what I have read and it's been said before in other post's that this young man worked hard over the summer attending DI school combines and rival camps that he is now earned a ranking by Ohio Varsity / Rivals for his position QB, I look for him to be the X factor for the burg come friday.
I'm going to step out on a limb and say it before it happens if the pirates take one play at a time and stay patient, take what the tigers give them I think they will like the out come IMO... good luck to the pirates.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Burg just can't let Ironton score 2-3 quick TD's and get down on themselves.

If there were in fact kids missing from the scrimmage on Friday against jackson, then I can see why they were getting burnt so bad on the pass, but everyone must realize this, Ironton is not a passing team. They just try to wear teams down by running the ball up the gut all night long. Burg just needs to hang with them and stay within striking distance and who knows then, maybe they score on a TD pass right at the end of the game like they did 3 years ago. IMO, Ironton was the better team that night also.

Also, Burg has never, ever dressed a Freshman in the 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, but that doesn't mean squat. The FReshman I saw playing, Parno(sp) looked pretty impressive to me. He was making good blocks on offense and played some solid defense. If teams are going to "get the Burg" like some are saying on here, then they better do it this year. Burg will be loaded for bear the next few years and who knows about this year. We will jsut have to wait and see what happens on Friday. If Burg pulls off the upset, then that could be huge confidence builder for them that they can carry over the rest of the season.

Good luck Pirates. I know I'll be there rooting for them and for the rest of the season win or lose.

jungle cat
Freshman Team

Post by jungle cat »

Sorry but the Burg gets smacked around in this one.

silent spectator
Waterboy

Post by silent spectator »

Through the years this has always been The Great Game! It shows how much heart and compassion each team is going to have and where work needs be done on the practice field. I personally wish that this game could be played twice a year. first game of the season like always, and mid-season to see where the improvements have been made. Good luck to both teams! Go Tigers! Prediction : 32-21 Tigers

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Ironburg_89, you make some good points, but just a heads up. It HEART, not HART. lol

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

fbnut wrote:
BigOrangeOne wrote:
FballDad wrote: Wheelersburg is not only dressing but playing FRESHMAN. This is something that has never been done at the burg before.
With all due respect, perhaps not often, but it has been done before.
When?

Trust me..... and if you won't take my word for it, I will take bets that the Wheelersburg varsity has dressed AND PLAYED (considerably) freshman before. :)

FaberGrad62
JV Team

Post by FaberGrad62 »

I'm sure they have played Freshman, just not in the last 40 years.

Burg just needs to keep there head in the game and not let it get out of control.

See people on here saying that this will be the worst team ever and I highly doubt that. I saw where they went 0-10 a few times back in the day and this team will win games. How many? Only time will tell. Even if they do have a losing record, oh well. The Juniors, Sophomores and Freshman will have a little more motivation for the next season and the seasons after that.

IronBurg_89
Waterboy

Post by IronBurg_89 »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:Ironburg_89, you make some good points, but just a heads up. It HEART, not HART. lol

Thanks ''Burg_Grad_77'' I sorry about that (CORRECTED IT) you know how it is when think ahead of yourself I'm just surprised it's the only one I had to correct: LOL
Last edited by IronBurg_89 on Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IronBurg_89
Waterboy

Post by IronBurg_89 »

Just for thought! and that's all this is? I believe when these two class's were freshman Ironton beat Burg 16-0 at Ironton if I remember?
now as a sophomore class which puts them JV's Burg beat Ironton 6-0 at Burg. I know it doesn't mean squat but it does show they matched up pretty well through the last couple years between these two now senior class's, IRONY?? I don't know what to really call it but being so close like that in scores I'm sure Ironton is better in one aspect of the game and Burg may be better in another all I know is that everybody's predictions have Ironton wining and Burg losing and the game is not even played yet!

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

What I saw from the Burg/Jackson scrimmage was lost, young men not understanding gap assignments, especially on counters. Ironton runs the same power play until they realize the defense is getting away from their assignments and counters away. If the young Burg team can play sound D and make Ironton drive the ball down the field, they have a shot. Shears is good enough to lead the Burg for at least 14 to 21 points. If they can keep Ironton from big plays they can pull off the upset; if not, Ironton wins 35 to 14.

Go Burg!

Soho
Waterboy

Post by Soho »

I'm still going with Burg in this one, if they score 43+.

IronBurg_89
Waterboy

Post by IronBurg_89 »

If I was leaving tomorrow for Los Vegas I wouldn't bet against the Burg!!

Burg#1
JV Team

Post by Burg#1 »

Go Burg- play with your heart and what your coaches have taught you- your community is behind you play hard and leave it on the field. Go Burg :122249

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

BigOrangeOne wrote:
FballDad wrote: Wheelersburg is not only dressing but playing FRESHMAN. This is something that has never been done at the burg before.
With all due respect, perhaps not often, but it has been done before.
Are we talking about the 50's and 60's? I can't find where they have even dressed a freshman for a varsity game in the past 40 years.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

As an outsider, I don't see the relevance in the frosh playing varsity discussion. If a frosh can help the varsity he should be playing on Fridays not Thursdays and if the coach is too stubborn to move them up then that is certainly not a plus in respect to the coach but rather a shame on you moment for hurting the team. not saying this is the case or was the case, i have no idea but.......the coach MUST find the best players grades 9-12 to try to win games and if he isn't utilizing all 4 grades then he isn't focused on what's best for the team.

Sorry but it seems like the focus has drifted from the game to playing underclassmen. Coach W is a good coach and wants to win as much or maybe more than the kids on the field, trust his judgement!!

I'd say, if I had to predict, that Itown takes this one however, if Burg stays within 7 of the Tigers, watch out SOC!! If somehow the Burg beats the Tigers then I will predict a 10-0 regular season because nobody else on the schedule comes close to Ironton this year.

Sorry to butt in but I know Coach W and have followed the Burg listening on SEOPS the past few seasons that this team can't do this or isn't as good as __ years team or won't be good at this, yada yada yada. Yet in the end they seem to be standing tall, winning the conference, and playing later than alomost every team in the area. The Burg has high standards and tradition and I understand that but most communities should be and are envious of the achievements of your school. Support those kids regardless of the outcome of the ballgames because the support is what helped create the tradition and Pirate pride. Without the support there is noway previous teams would have had the success (state title) because kids would have given up and accepted losing.

Good luck to both teams in hopes of a successful and healthy season.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I CAN'T WAIT TO WATCH DEM IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS CRACK THE PADS BABY, 1 GAME AT A TIME. :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 WHO DEY THINK , GONNA BEAT DEM TIGERS.

TigerTownKid
Varsity

Post by TigerTownKid »

Crab's brother wrote:
IronBurg_89 wrote:First of all they are young!! second, they are not slow by know means? on defense the line backers are very quick and the secondary has a lot of speed, which nobody got to see saturday against jackson a few were not suited and showed on some pass plays down field they were missed? the DE's have decent speed again some suited some not! and it proved to be costly with out these men on the field overall. The burg is some what small in area's and average in other area's, size isn't everything it's the young men's hart that will decide the game by staying in the fight! or letting another team knock them around and out of the game. On offense they have more speed than they have had in several years the receiving core all have good hands, speed and very athletic, the backs are strong and fight for the extra yard, the line on both sides of the ball hold the keys to burg's success and those kids have been working hard the for several weeks they know what's at stake! and the second string kids are coming along they know they could be called on at any time, another kid that's not being talked about and should be is the only returning starter on offense and that is the senior QB alex shears a big strong kid very fast, can throw and extend plays with his feet very dangerous once he breaks the pocket and has done well in burg's scrimmages. on defense he hits very hard, from what I have read and it's been said before in other post's that this young man worked hard over the summer attending DI school combines and rival camps that he is now earned a ranking by Ohio Varsity / Rivals for his position QB, I look for him to be the X factor for the burg come friday.
I'm going to step out on a limb and say it before it happens if the pirates take one play at a time and stay patient, take what the tigers give them I think they will like the out come IMO... good luck to the pirates.
I played for Ironton in 2007, and that was one of the fastest Wheelersburg teams that I have ever seen...IMO

Return to “Football”