Biggest upset you have witnessed in High School Football?

NewarkCatholicStud44
Waterboy

Re: Biggest upset you have witnessed in High School Football

Post by NewarkCatholicStud44 »

I would have to say last year when Hartley went up to Div 6 Columbus Grove and lost to them in Overtime

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

bdubya wrote:Week 6, 2006. Jackson manhandled heavily favored Chillicothe 42-15 at Alumni Stadium.

Chillicothe (4-1), with Givens (Miami, Ohio), Knights (Air Force), Beeler (??? went somewhere) and HItchens (Akron, Duquesne), had just whipped Ironton and already had wins over GAHS, Logan (non-league) and Brookhaven. They were rolling at the time.

Jackson, on the other hand, was 2-3 at the time and had lost two straight to Ironton and Portsmouth. Things did not look promising for the Ironmen.

I watched it from start to finish and still, over four years later, don't believe what I saw that night.

That win, BTW, ultimately allowed Jackson to make the playoffs at 6-4.
That game was terrible. Worst game I have ever been a part of. Chillicothe got outplayed, outcaoches, outexecuted, outhustles, outeverythinged. The kids and the coaching staffs at Jackson did an amazing job. Chillicothe was way overconfident, after beating an Ironton team by about thirty that had beaten Jackson by about 30, and it showed.

Starters on that team for Chilli that played in College were:
Givens (Sr) Miami
Beeler (Sr) West Liberty
Ferguson (Sr) Wilmington
Knights (So) Air Force
Benson (So) Otterbein (originally committed to West Liberty but left for Otterbein before playing a game there)
Basil (Fr) Ohio State

There were a lot of sophomores that played special teams and rotated in that wound up playing in college as well. Kevin Scott (Capital), and Ron Smith (Otterbein) are a couple that come to mind that I think contributed solely on special teams.
Netter (So) Toledo was a freshman but didn't play Varsity that year.

Hitchens, who played basketball at Akron, and now James Madison, did not play football that year.

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

One involving Chillicothe on the other end of an upset that I foundly remember is in 2002 when a 4-6 Chillicothe team took down Dublin Scioto 33-21 in a rainy night at Hernstein Field. Dublin Scioto was 9-0 and ranked 4th in the State in the Division 1 AP poll and #1 in D1 region 3. Dublin was coming off of two straight whoopins of Olentangy and Upper Arligton and Chillicothe was coming off of a loss to 5-5 Westland. Long story short, Dublin Scioto's state championship dreams came to a sudden halt at the hands of an inspired and physical Chillicothe team. Big props to A.J. Cousins who played hiss A** off in that game.

Manwithplan
All State

Post by Manwithplan »

2trap_4ever wrote:
fuzzhead wrote:1996: Coal Grove 14, Ashland, Ky 7

I remember that game, the Ashland coached was interviewed for the Independent after the game and he ripped everything about the game, basically said that there was no way in he-- that Coal Grove beat Ashland fair and square, then if I am correct they got blasted by Ironton.

It's just Ashland. ;-)

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote:
wipala wrote:McKell High over PHS in 62 or 63, can not remember for sure...McKell is not even around anymore but they put it to the Trojans at Spartan.
In 62 PHS was 0-10, and in 63 PHS was 3-7. Portsmouth was a much bigger school then Mckell, but I believe Mckell was very good in the 60s, so I don’t know how big of an upset it was. I know at some point Mckell made a deep run into Kentucky playoffs during the 60s. Maybe when Don Gullet was there.
Don't know if you were around in 62, but I was and beleive me Mckell beating PHS was a big
deal..This was Bill Apel's first year at PHS after a great run at ND with the Bill Shaefer led running game, Coach tried the single wing and it did not do well,,we scrimmged a very good Lexington Ky, HS team that season before the regular season and held our own..even though PHS went winless this year IMO it was and still is the biggest upset I have seen in high school football. :12223

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Not doubting it was an upset, but I think Mckell put some strong teams on the field in the 60s and I know PHS put out some pretty poor ones. From 60-64 the Trojans were 9-31, but played very good competition.
It's still an upset, just for the size factor but I think it has to be considered that PHS was a bad team, and I believe Mckell was pretty tough ( not positive).

62 is before my time, but I have heard stories about both programs from this era, and maybe I'm wrong but when a team is 0-10 not sure it can be on the wrong end of a big upset.

Senatorian
Waterboy

Post by Senatorian »

Portsmouth West over Youngstown Ursuline in 2002

OVCfan
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan »

Greatest UPSET and greatest game I've ever seen.......

2007 Division IV State Championship. #9 (USA Today Super Prep Poll)in the nation, Cardinal Mooney goes down to Coldwater. Unbelievable.

clbbig12
Freshman Team

Post by clbbig12 »

2010 tri valley over new albany. new albany with their killer schedule and tri valley with their weak mvl schedule. huge upset.

Tvc87
Waterboy

Post by Tvc87 »

2007- Belpre who started the season 0-2 went on to beat the perennial powerhouse in Williamstown 14-7 this led them on a 7-3 tear and qualified for the playoffs!

4theKids
Freshman Team

Post by 4theKids »

2004 Ironmen at Cincinnati Withrow.

Ironmannut07
Varsity

Post by Ironmannut07 »

Jackson over ironton 2010

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

It would have to be 2002 state semi finals West beating Ursuline nobody give West a chance in this game they were saying Ursuline would win by 35 to 40 points. Ursuline with there very tough schedule and their d1 prospects was the most athletic team I have ever seen and West came out and smack them right in the mouth. There was another big upset in the first round West totally dominating New Lexington. 2002 playoffs most fun I ever had watching high school football I still thank them boys for that great run.

ji81grad
Riding the Bench

Post by ji81grad »

I have seen both sides involving the Ironmen. 2010 Jackson's loss to Wellston was a major upset. If you were at the game you knew the Ironmen were not ready to play and Wellston was 100% on their game. It wasn't that big of an upset, until the remainder of the season played out and you saw who the two teams really ended up being.
That being said, I have to agree with 4TK. Jackson 36, Withrow 35 in the 2004 State Playoffs has to go down a a huge upset. That Withrow team was by far the best team I ever witnessed a Jackson team beat. In 34 years I've seen several Ironmen Games and quite a few worthy opponents. The game was played at Taft High School (they had that new field turf) because Withrow's field was muddy and they wanted to take advantage of their superior speed on the faster track. Cal preps picked Withrow 42-14. Someone forgot to tell the boys.

cavalierfan1995
Freshman Team

Post by cavalierfan1995 »

chillicothe vs portsmouth '99 34-28 i think. travis poe of the cavaliers intercept the ball as the trojans were heading down to tie the game portsmouth had a good team that year

cavalierfan1995
Freshman Team

Post by cavalierfan1995 »

i remember anotherone this was in the 60,s the first time we played zanesville.the cavs won by 3 (cant remember the score)but legend has it the cavalier fans tore down the goal post zanesville back then was a heavy team and for a team like chillicothe to beat them was unbeliveable.

Rocketfan88
Freshman Team

Post by Rocketfan88 »

2010 Wellston Rockets over the Jackson Ironmen 33-13

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

I can not give a good answer to this despite seeing many FANTASTIC games. I saw someone list Jackson over Ironton from last year, great game but biggest upset? Not even close. I don't even know if I'd call it an upset, I generally think of those two squads as equals. Wellston over Jackson? Eh, I guess. Most expected another Jackson win but I wasn't shocked knowing Hutch had the talent on the team. I saw someone list Jackson over Withrow, a solid upset but Withrow doesn't play anyone and I knew that going in.

I guess I'd be forced to agree with Coldwater over Cardinal Mooney, but I even hesitate at that. I expected Mooney to win that game, but as we all live in Ohio we know what a powerhouse Coldwater is. Rankings like USA Today take in to consideration the individual talent who are rated by Rivals and like sites. Regardless, Mooney was dominating division 1 teams earlier in the season, had a wealth of talent and entered nationally ranked against Coldwater. Because of all of that I'm basically forced to pick this as the biggest upset I've personally seen.

tl895
Varsity

Post by tl895 »

Pol Pot wrote:Any team that beats Logan is a huge upset, they simply dominate the High School scene.
got upset a lot last year hun?

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

Post by Gray Fighting Tiger »

I think Pol Pot forgot to put the overt sarcasm warning on his post. :)

The biggest upset involving Ironton, that I have seen in person, may have been Ironton over Mooney at Zanesville in 1999 (state semifinal).

Not quite the same thing (ha) but the games that may have upset me the most were Wauseon over Ironton in 1993 and Perkins over Ironton in 1999; both at Massillon (if I recall correctly) and both were state championship games.

Return to “Football”