Logan vs Reynoldsburg-2010

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Re: Logan vs Reynoldsburg-2010

Post by FANOSPORTS »

lhsfan97 wrote:Grove City was the school that had canceled fall sports last season.

Groveport has had I beleive 1 winning season in football in the last decade. They have troble in most sports every year.

Groveport-Madison has a high turnover in kids every year as they are in and around the Columbus school district in the win-win agreement with the tax base problems and all. The town of Groveport itself proposed and tried to get a separate school district a couple years ago and split from Madison Township but it failed. They've had decent football teams the last 3 or 4 years (making the playoffs once). It's hard to compete with the Dublin's, Upper Arlington's, Pickerington's of the world with their wealth. Reynoldsburg's school situation is just as dire and the kids have to pay $500 per sport this year and it may increase even further if the levy fails again. This has cut a lot of kids out of the sports programs and Pickerington, just to the south really looks down on Reynoldsburg and there is no love lost there. Anyway, with that being said Reynoldsburg should not put up much of a struggle next year against Logan.

Note: Hamilton Township probably dropped them because they didn't have a competitive enough team. Last week's Columbus Dispatch included a head coach opening so I guess Jacoby is stepping down if they have an ad in the newspaper. He probably got tired of losing, the kids quitting or being taken off the field if they had to listen and the parents. It was a no win situation for him over there but the A.D. gave him his first job out of college years ago and he quit DeSales to come back to the public school system for a better retirement pension down the road as the Diocese pensions at Catholic schools don't add up to quite as much in the long run. This same AD has been @ Hamilton Twp. since the late 70's -early 80's and sent his own kid to play for Jacoby at DeSales so what does that tell you. He'll probably keep his teaching position and retire there in a few years.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

I know it is early, but what kind of numbers are particpating in the off season workouts?

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

FANOSPORTS wrote:
lhsfan97 wrote:Grove City was the school that had canceled fall sports last season.

Groveport has had I beleive 1 winning season in football in the last decade. They have troble in most sports every year.

Groveport-Madison has a high turnover in kids every year as they are in and around the Columbus school district in the win-win agreement with the tax base problems and all. The town of Groveport itself proposed and tried to get a separate school district a couple years ago and split from Madison Township but it failed. They've had decent football teams the last 3 or 4 years (making the playoffs once). It's hard to compete with the Dublin's, Upper Arlington's, Pickerington's of the world with their wealth. Reynoldsburg's school situation is just as dire and the kids have to pay $500 per sport this year and it may increase even further if the levy fails again. This has cut a lot of kids out of the sports programs and Pickerington, just to the south really looks down on Reynoldsburg and there is no love lost there. Anyway, with that being said Reynoldsburg should not put up much of a struggle next year against Logan.

Note: Hamilton Township probably dropped them because they didn't have a competitive enough team. Last week's Columbus Dispatch included a head coach opening so I guess Jacoby is stepping down if they have an ad in the newspaper. He probably got tired of losing, the kids quitting or being taken off the field if they had to listen and the parents. It was a no win situation for him over there but the A.D. gave him his first job out of college years ago and he quit DeSales to come back to the public school system for a better retirement pension down the road as the Diocese pensions at Catholic schools don't add up to quite as much in the long run. This same AD has been @ Hamilton Twp. since the late 70's -early 80's and sent his own kid to play for Jacoby at DeSales so what does that tell you. He'll probably keep his teaching position and retire there in a few years.

i remember reading last summer on the puddle, posts from parents and players bickering about who is or isn't doing this or that, not in the weight room, going to practices etc..... too bad though.. they have a really nice facility over there.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

1987chieftains wrote:
FANOSPORTS wrote:

i remember reading last summer on the puddle, posts from parents and players bickering about who is or isn't doing this or that, not in the weight room, going to practices etc..... too bad though.. they have a really nice facility over there.

I lived over there during the early to mid-90's and coached a lot of travel teams (softball, basketball) from the 9-10's to the 14-16 year olds and did well in leagues and tournaments but I had to almost pull teeth to get some of the kids I needed (Take them to and from practice, pick them up for games, etc.) which I didn't mind but a lot of the parents down there are truly just clueless about what it takes to compete and put a competitive product on the field when you're not just playing in the local little leagues. That is being reflected over the last decade or so in their athletics and you would think with the new facilities and all there would be a mind change but so far, same old same old.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

lhsfan97 wrote:And as for a New Conference here would be mine. I based it off current school enrollment, future growth potential, and location. I would leave it a 7 team conference allowing for school to schedule several of their old rivalry games as non-conference games every season.

Canal Winchester - 755 students
Teays Valley - 865 students
Logan - 921 students
Pickerington Central - 1223 students
Lancaster - 1248 students
Pickerington North - 1325 students
Groveport Madison - 1503 students

Just to break it down a little farther.
This would make a great Conference IMO with some GREAT Football games being played.

............................................2009 Record (Regular Season)

Canal Winchester.......388 Boys..........8-2.....Made the Playoffs
Teays Valley.............434 Boys..........3-7
Logan....................453 Boys..........10-0....Made the Playoffs
Pickerington Central....628 Boys..........9-1.....Made the Playoffs
Lancaster................646 Boys..........6-4.....Made the Playoffs
Pickerington North......709 Boys..........7-3.....Made the Playoffs
Groveport Madison......774 Boys..........6-4.....Just missed the Playoffs at #9

Late 70s Logan grad
Freshman Team

Post by Late 70s Logan grad »

Regarding Logan being in any kind of a new league — it ain't happening.

Speculation is okay, but you're wasting your time.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

OHbuckeye1 wrote:
lhsfan97 wrote:And as for a New Conference here would be mine. I based it off current school enrollment, future growth potential, and location. I would leave it a 7 team conference allowing for school to schedule several of their old rivalry games as non-conference games every season.

Canal Winchester - 755 students
Teays Valley - 865 students
Logan - 921 students
Pickerington Central - 1223 students
Lancaster - 1248 students
Pickerington North - 1325 students
Groveport Madison - 1503 students

Just to break it down a little farther.
This would make a great Conference IMO with some GREAT Football games being played.

............................................2009 Record (Regular Season)

Canal Winchester.......388 Boys..........8-2.....Made the Playoffs
Teays Valley.............434 Boys..........3-7
Logan....................453 Boys..........10-0....Made the Playoffs
Pickerington Central....628 Boys..........9-1.....Made the Playoffs
Lancaster................646 Boys..........6-4.....Made the Playoffs
Pickerington North......709 Boys..........7-3.....Made the Playoffs
Groveport Madison......774 Boys..........6-4.....Just missed the Playoffs at #9

:lol: sound good. we could name it "league 33"

Late 70s Logan grad
Freshman Team

Your ideas have been floated before and, on paper, they are good ideas. But Logan simply isn't going anywhere. Logan is committed to the SEOAL and the other five schools who will remain in the SEOAL once Ironton and Marietta leave have committed as well.

The two Pickeringtons and Lancaster are locked into the OCC. They're not leaving. Lancaster especially waited more than 20 years to get in and I don't see them wanting out anytime soon (and, along those lines, Logan has never applied for admission into the OCC, contrary to popular belief... and even if they did, the OCC would never take them. Too far outside the I-270 loop, and you can ask Chillicothe how schools this far away from the I-270 comfort zone are treated by the OCC).

Logan just doesn't fit because, with the exception of Teays Valley and Lancaster, the others are suburban Columbus schools (and, being as big of a city as it is, you could make a point for Lancaster being a de-facto suburban school too). Again, with the exception of Teays Valley, they draw their athletes from the city where most of the kids are located within a few miles of the school.

I've said and written it for years: Logan is a DI school in name only. Because Logan is a county-wide school district (there are only three counties in the entire state in which there is only one high school: Hocking, Vinton and Morgan), many boys and girls from the outlying areas don't play sports — unless they are upper-level athletes — because of the driving distances back and forth to school. Some of them will go to schools just on the other side of the county line, such as Logan Elm. Those athletes would provide much-needed depth that, other than football, you just don't see in Logan sports.

Call it an excuse if you will — and a lot of people will do just that — but it's the reality of the situation in the Logan-Hocking district, and there's not much that can be done about it.

lhsfan97
Freshman Team

Post by lhsfan97 »

Late 70's Logan Grad, I agree with what your saying. But under the right situation the conference listed above could do very well. Unlike Chillicothe, Logan has a huge fan base for football. Both Lancaster and Pickerington North know this and will continue to play Logan for this reason. In most years Logan is very competitive in almost all sports and would benifit from playing these larger schools.

ChieftainGrad135
Riding the Bench

Post by ChieftainGrad135 »

I think that Logan will eventually change leagues. I believe that it will take an overall change in the administration from Logan (from Janey on up) and the right atmosphere from another league, whether existing or to be created, for this to happen. So probably what you would call "the perfect storm". But I believe it will happen. I used to be a hardcore "Logan in the SEOAL or Die" mentality type person. But times are changing. You can see that in Logan sports overall with all of the coaches resigning and such this year. We will all see..............I hope sooner than later.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

lhs_iraq_vet wrote:I think that Logan will eventually change leagues. I believe that it will take an overall change in the administration from Logan (from Janey on up) and the right atmosphere from another league, whether existing or to be created, for this to happen. So probably what you would call "the perfect storm". But I believe it will happen. I used to be a hardcore "Logan in the SEOAL or Die" mentality type person. But times are changing. You can see that in Logan sports overall with all of the coaches resigning and such this year. We will all see..............I hope sooner than later.

When these people go -they will be replaced from within so Logan should stay the same

Late 70s Logan grad
Freshman Team

lhsfan97, when it comes to football you are probably correct and it's why Logan plays Lancaster and Pickerington North. But the main reason it wouldn't work would be the other sports, where the numbers especially come into play.

Return to “Football”