Should all Private schools be forced to at least be in D4?

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Re: Should all Private schools be forced to at least be in D4?

Post by d-5 »

Perkins High School is a public high school in Perkins Township, Ohio, near Sandusky. It is the only high school in the Perkins Local School District. They are known as the Pirates and school colors are black and white with an accent of red.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Look Ridgewood was not even in the game against ursuline. Until they investigate these private schools and Im not talking about all of them. Ports. N.D doesn't have the money.

But, I would lay money down that some deep pockets are filling these rosters with talent. They have too. Ridgewood was a great team this year and it was like they were playing Marietta College.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

gahs4ever wrote:Since the discussion has turned to controlling enrollments, Im wondering out loud (havent checked on it) how many private schools routinely move up and down divisions by "controlling" enrollments? The DIs seem to always be DI (and public Glenville doesnt seem to have any problem holding their own with private St Ignatius, arguably the best program in the state). Likewise the smaller scools like Zanesville Rosecrans, Newark Catholic, etc seem to stay about the same.

Regarding controlling environments you would need a crystal ball because the census is good for two years, so what do the parochials do...kick out students they already have or refuse to accept any new ones just because of football? And how does this controlling affect every other sport?

I still submit that most of us have more problems beating public schools in the playoffs than private.

Are you serious, Glenville is the biggest recruiter in the Cleveland school district. More so that St IGGY or ST Eds.lol

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

YTB, you need to do a little fact finding before you post. As pointed out by several, Sandusky Perkins is a public school. To give your arguments credibility, state facts. You made it abundantly clear early in this post that you had no idea who was or wasn't public or private. You named a slew of teams you were wrong about and Perkins is another example. No one can dispute your love of Ironton sports, especially football, but conspiracy theory in high school football is an area you need a little work. Were there some questionable calls in the games you noted? Sure, but officials aren't perfect and they all make mistakes, just like the coaches and players.

Secondly, I'm no great official, but I have had the privilege to call playoff games in two states to the tune of close to 20 games. I've gone all the way to the state semi-finals and had public schools and private schools in these games and have never been told, hinted at or even asked to have one team win over another by a state official. Yes, there has been the stray fan that joked at the notion, but never any official proclamation as you seem to hint at with your Oliver Stone-like notions. Heck, in all those games, I've only ever seen one high ranking OHSAA official, period. That was an Assistant Commissioner to present us with a certificate of achievement at the semi-final game (it was private v. public and guess who won, right, the public school).
Last edited by Frank Reagan on Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

sinker wrote:YOS or i mean YTB, 2007 d4 championship game: mooney vs. coldwater...coldwater wins 28-27...penalties...mooney-11 for 94yds., coldwater-4 for 20yds., them catholic pockets weren't too deep that year! with ironton's storied past, how many former/present ironton football stars are catholic and led by the winningest coach in ohio high school history who just happens to be catholic!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- sinker, missing the forest for the trees. not about not liking catholic/private school's. just that it is an unfair advantage. and i've known coach lutz was catholic all my life, and your point is. :-D

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

The Flying Dutchman wrote:Bait, I could be wrong but Sandusky Perkins is a public school.

B.O.S., If you think private schools in today's economy are turning kids away willing to pay 6000-8000 a year tuition just to win a trophy,think again.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------all i can say is somebody pulled a trick on me, i said sandusky perkins, was public, and extremely northern, don't know what to say about that. i can't control that.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

what is this hate on bait week. sorry. i did say perkins was public, it got changed. i'm simply pointing out my point of view. you guys are making this like i don't like catholics, and i'm tiring of it. you know i have tons of very close catholic friends. this was simply brought up by another poster, and i commented on my observations. whether slanted , in your mind or not. they are my observations.

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

We still love you bait but we just simply disagree on this and always will :)

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Maybe I'm missing something, but the rule changes that recently went into effect only limit public school transfers. Isn't that correct? The rule that makes a kid that goes open enrollment without living there have to sit out a year if he transfers after his freshmen year is great. That should limit, or at least make it harder, to jump from school to school. But to not limit anything on the private schools just makes it easier for them to recruit or get players that they would normally not get as they are a kids only option to transfer and play immediately.

Lets just use Notre Dame for an example as they are the only immediate private school. (And I'm not saying they have or will do anything wrong). But say a kid/parents has a disagreement or whatever with the school/coach, but doesn't want to move and the family is honest. ND is there only option to not penalize the kid a year. It may not have happened yet, but ND and other private schools will benefit from this rule if they do nothing more than exist. In the big cities, the private schools like Ursuline and Mooney will only get better.

King of Kings
Freshman Team

Post by King of Kings »

That fact that almost all of the posters of private schools say to leave it alone is proof that it needs fixed. They realize there advantage and do not want to lose it. Some of you guys say just get better, but that is very easy to say. Many schools have to play the kids in their town. They can't go out and recruit a qb when they need one. When a school can control their enrollment and offer scholarships for high school kids they are not on the same playing field as a regular public school.

Siderman,
I do know that Grove City's pay to play really helped out Grove City Christian. Many kids are playing their that played for different schools last year. I don't believe they sat out the year. I believe they are still playing football as well. Not sure what they did this weekend yet.

hammer89
Freshman Team

Post by hammer89 »

^^^ And they only make up 13% of the schools in the State of Ohio. I watched Ursuline play Ridgewood the other night, and I will say this. If you think Ursuline is a legitimate Div. V school, then you have been smoking something. Funny though one of my family members overheard some conversation among Ursuline fans, and one was talking about how one of their alumni was "sponsoring" 12 players on the team. What do you think this means? Bottom line is public schools have a district set by the state and have to take any kid that lives in that district. Privates have no district and can pull kids from wherever they want.

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

"Only 8.5 percent of Ohio's high school students attend parochial schools. But of the 10 Ohio schools that have won the most sports championships, 70 percent are parochial.

Parochial schools have won 31 consecutive Division I titles in wrestling, 21 straight in boys swimming, 10 straight in volleyball, seven straight in ice hockey and five straight in girls basketball.

In the big-money sport, football, church-affiliated schools have won 22 titles in the 36-year history of the state playoffs — a whopping 61 percent.

Why the huge discrepancy? Simple: The playing field is not level."

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

I thought we were talking about the state level?

I am all for having region championships and doing away with STATE finals completely. California has no STATE Championship. The population density is so much different in areas of Ohio that it is never apples to apples. Illinois has a Chicago area champion and a rest of the state champion. Why not have a Private champ, Metro Champ and Rural Champ?

boy of summer
Freshman Team

Post by boy of summer »

I love that idea John Knight.

Daniel Larusso
Varsity

Post by Daniel Larusso »

Ohio has the best system in the country for determining 6 state champions. Whether or not we are all put on a level playing field is somewhat debatable. Our area as most of Ohio usually does not fair to well against private schools. You have to remember that it is called a state title for a reason. Only 6 teams in the state of Ohio get to obtain one. It wouldn't mean as much if everyone had one. So I don't see separate divisions for metro, private, and rural schools happening. Plus when that day finally comes that one of us from southeastern Ohio does knock off a private school in a state championship game. It will just make the victory that much sweeter.

Portsmouth West was in a state title game in 2002 against a public school in Kenton. Ironton was also in and almost won a state title game against Sandusky Perkins in 1999. By the way they were also public. So it can be done, and it will happen again someday.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

I dont have a problem with putting all the private schools in two divisions and let them play post season against each other. then let the rest of the schools playoff in about 5 divisions.

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

Daniel Larusso wrote:

Portsmouth West was in a state title game in 2002 against a public school in Kenton. Ironton was also in and almost won a state title game against Sandusky Perkins in 1999. By the way they were also public. So it can be done, and it will happen again someday.

Wheelersburg vs JFK in 1989

Return to “Football”