SEOAL Book/Documentary?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: SEOAL Book/Documentary?

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I think that ironton's win streak was 34 games at the time. I was a sophomore on that team in 76. all the way through gallipolis, and even in our locker room there were signs 34 and no more. it was a crazy scene that night in the French city. penalties all over the place, a guy named brian mink ran wild on us that night, and our streak ended at ''34 and no more''.i remember on the tiger greyhound bus on the way home we were told no talking of any kind, we were not to make a peep.and I remember thinking Monday morning I wanted to call the school and tell them=========I'm having flaming bowel movements and i'll have to miss school today. because every guy on that team was dreading the bell that ended the day of school. we ran , and ran. ran the track, ran the stairs at the stadium, crabbed, the linemen were pushing the sled with the coaching staff standing on the sled. back then ironton had like 13/14 coaches. and like half of them were taking free sled rides.i remember that week as one i'll never, ever forget. as far as that record being broke, I have no idea. I know at one time ironton had like 63 games in a row unbeaten in the regular season if memory serves me correct which was a record in ohio at the time. but those incredible cincy moeller team of the past when Gerry faust coached them they stopped that record. just some good ole days back then off good hard nosed, slobberknockin football.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

in addition to those ironton players mentioned we also had roman fry, Clemson/ jermon Jackson ohio state/-reggie arden, ohio state/wolfgang kratzenburg,ohio university/ walt delong, ohio state, then transferred to Georgetown, ky.where he was on a national championship naia team/Robert clay, who I played with Miami, ohio/ ken fritz ohio state all American/tim hodges, akron/darius lewis, marshall==there were scads of them that played at the otterbeins, Baldwin wallaces, west Virginia tech and the like. and then ironton's own mark Snyder who was an all American at marshall he has also been marshall's head coach. he was the defensive co-ordinator on ohio state's national championship team in 2002, he was also a defensive co-ordinator at south florida, lousiana tech, texas a&m, and currently a defensive coach for mark dantonio on Michigan states team. Robert clayi just spoke of was in my class he passes away last week. he was also recruited by woody hayes, and was going to go to ohio state-then the thingie happened with woody hayes against Clemson and woody was fired , and in came earl bruce who went a different direction. Robert was also recruited heavily by auburn and visited there, I think under pat dye. but after his visit to auburn he decided against them because they had separate showers and eating facilities for blacks and whites. and he said no to them and went to Miami, ohio to play. I'm sure there were others that my ole brain can't think of. so sorry if I left anybody out. if I did it was not intentional

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

my dad tom Osborne, sr. went to morehead to play middle guard, but had a history of seizures and had a seizure at morehead state. and he was told no more football for him. or he could become brain damaged permanently, he was a 58 graduate. his older brother bill Osborne played fullback for the tigers and the saint Louis cardinals wanted him to play straight out of high school. his nickname was tarzan, but he got married andwent to work on the railroad.

and I can't believe I forgot this but we also had glen presnell who is in the pro football hall of fame. we also had George mcafee, and I can't believe I forgot it but we also had coy bacon, who played at ironton. coy played for Jackson state , then the rams,the redskins, the Washington federals, and the bengals.coy actually holds a record that will never be broken , it is the nfl sack record back when they only played 14 games. don't quote me on this but I think it was 24. and coy died a few years back as well and was a minister.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Athens-Grant Gregory Kansas State QB

Best player from this era of the SEOAL. I never would have thought I would have seen someone better than Grant in my life time

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

It is good we are talking about archiving the history of the SEOAL. It means we have accepted the eventual death of the venerable old league and are able to move on.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I'm gonna miss her. I had the pleasure of being involved with it in the mid to late 70's. and still that remains my favorite format ironton was ever in.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Would love to see someone capture the history, players and teams of the SEOAL over the past 90+ years...

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Someone will work on it but it will take time. Could be years.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

1925 Athens SEOAL Champs 9-1(5-0)
Athens 0 Columbus North 7
Athens 20 Logan 0
Athens 14, Ironton 6
Athens 19, Zanesville 0
Athens 7, Portsmouth 6
Athens 26, Nelsonville 0
Athens 13, Marietta 7
Athens 67, Lancaster 0
Athens 51, Gallipolis 0
Athens 26, New Straitsville 0

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Was that the last time they won the SEOAL :lol: J/K

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

cbolt wrote:Was that the last time they won the SEOAL :lol: J/K
Just bringing back memories for Paladin

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

awesome picture. I would think that jottings or loganlocos would have probably more information on the league as anybody. that would be where I started. I sure do miss ironton football.com. it was the best site I ever been to for information on the fighting tigers, their opponents and the history of the leagues.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

any school could have got a wealth of information from that site.

Blackjack
JV Team

Post by Blackjack »

Jackson - Reagan Williams - Stanford
Chillicothe - Garin Veris - Stanford
Wellston - Jaylen Prater - Northwestern

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

I'd say Prater was a TVC guy since he played about 30 years after wellston left the SEOAL and if memory serves me right Veris played about 30 years before Chillicothe joined. We need a list of athletes that went on to the next level that actually played in the league.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

that would be an awesome project. I'd love to have a book about it. I think the SEOAL is the oldest league in the state. at least that's what I've always heard. anybody know if this is true or not.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

I think it's the oldest non city league.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

oh non city, still that's awesome bolt.
hate to see it folding up it's tent. gonna miss her.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

It's like watching a once mighty battleship sliding benethe the waves.

AT THE RESERVATION

Return to “Football”