Ironton Out Of SEOAL?

falconflyer
Freshman Team

Post by falconflyer »

On joining the SOC, there is more to this than football. The SOC teams all have soccer. I personally think, Portsmouth, Ironton and Gallia joining the SOC II is a good idea but some concessions would have to be made on across the board atheletic programs. I also think it would be good in the long run for everyone in the SOC II's football programs.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

After reading the most recent Tribune article, this topic should fade away as it doesn't look like Ironton is going anywhere.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

10 pages :!:

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Army wrote:
NYBuckeye96 wrote:I don't understand why the SOC would not want Ironton or Portsmouth in that league. In the past, Ironton and Portsmouth were much larger than the SOC schools, so that is totally understandable as to why they did not want them back then. However, Ironton and Portsmouth are no longer larger than the other area schools. In fact, neither would be the largest school in the SOC if they were in that league.

If Portsmouth wants to stay in the SEOAL, that is great. But if Ironton wanted out, I think the SOC should welcome them into their league. That would be a major revenue boost for all involved. Not to mention that you would have a great league in terms of competition as well. Think how much more intense Ironton vs. Wheelersburg would become if it were a league game and had title implication on the line? And with Waverly, Portsmouth West, Minford and Valley, I would think that would be a terrific league in terms of competition and higher revenue.

When was the last time their was discussion in the SOC about Ironton or Portsmouth? Has it been in recent years or was it years ago when these schools were much larger? It just seems to me that the most logical thing to do in terms of competition AND revenue generation would be for the SOC to invite Ironton to join that league. Portsmouth would make a great fit too, but if Portsmouth is happy in the SEOAL, then they should stay in the SEOAL. But I think the SOC could really make some noise if they did invite Ironton or Portsmouth to join their league.

Doesn't that make the most sense or am I totally missing something here?

NYBuckeye96,

Your right, but the SOC II just isn't. Waverly D4 has fond memories of Ironton D4 stomping them from 1970-1985 in there SEOAL era. :shock:

Likewise Portsmouth West D5 too, that being defeated at the hands of Ironton. Plus there is the Merrill Tripplett thing. :-D

I could see Portsmouth West D5 saying yes to Portsmouth D4 to join the SOC II but not Ironton D4. :-D
Minford D5, Ottway Nortwest D4 and Lucasville Valley D5 will vote no that's a guarenteed NO VOTE. Can you blame them? The only school that might say yes to both schools joining would be Wheelersburg D5. :-D

I agree though, what a league that would become.

West as you know has played Ironton quite a bit in the past. They have a great football program that most any school in the area would be envious of. We only beat them once, but most years we were competitive. I enjoyed the series and I think it made us better, even if we lost. But to except them into the league just because they are D4 in class isn't a good reason. They may be D4 by the numbers of boys, but you know and I know that they aren't D4 in talent most years.

West is borderline high D5 and dropping. Most other schools in the county are in the same boat. As the MAC conference up north shows, good competition makes you better, but winning is what builds your programs. We have a couple schools in our league know that wouldn't want to schedule a couple more beat downs, which is what Portsmouth and Ironton would be. I'm just a fan and like I said I wouldn't care, but that is how alot of people in our league will look at it.

Army
S

Post by Army »

siderman wrote:
Army wrote:
NYBuckeye96 wrote:I don't understand why the SOC would not want Ironton or Portsmouth in that league. In the past, Ironton and Portsmouth were much larger than the SOC schools, so that is totally understandable as to why they did not want them back then. However, Ironton and Portsmouth are no longer larger than the other area schools. In fact, neither would be the largest school in the SOC if they were in that league.

If Portsmouth wants to stay in the SEOAL, that is great. But if Ironton wanted out, I think the SOC should welcome them into their league. That would be a major revenue boost for all involved. Not to mention that you would have a great league in terms of competition as well. Think how much more intense Ironton vs. Wheelersburg would become if it were a league game and had title implication on the line? And with Waverly, Portsmouth West, Minford and Valley, I would think that would be a terrific league in terms of competition and higher revenue.

When was the last time their was discussion in the SOC about Ironton or Portsmouth? Has it been in recent years or was it years ago when these schools were much larger? It just seems to me that the most logical thing to do in terms of competition AND revenue generation would be for the SOC to invite Ironton to join that league. Portsmouth would make a great fit too, but if Portsmouth is happy in the SEOAL, then they should stay in the SEOAL. But I think the SOC could really make some noise if they did invite Ironton or Portsmouth to join their league.

Doesn't that make the most sense or am I totally missing something here?

NYBuckeye96,

Your right, but the SOC II just isn't. Waverly D4 has fond memories of Ironton D4 stomping them from 1970-1985 in there SEOAL era. :shock:

Likewise Portsmouth West D5 too, that being defeated at the hands of Ironton. Plus there is the Merrill Tripplett thing. :-D

I could see Portsmouth West D5 saying yes to Portsmouth D4 to join the SOC II but not Ironton D4. :-D
Minford D5, Ottway Nortwest D4 and Lucasville Valley D5 will vote no that's a guarenteed NO VOTE. Can you blame them? The only school that might say yes to both schools joining would be Wheelersburg D5. :-D

I agree though, what a league that would become.

West as you know has played Ironton quite a bit in the past. They have a great football program that most any school in the area would be envious of. We only beat them once, but most years we were competitive. I enjoyed the series and I think it made us better, even if we lost. But to except them into the league just because they are D4 in class isn't a good reason. They may be D4 by the numbers of boys, but you know and I know that they aren't D4 in talent most years.

West is borderline high D5 and dropping. Most other schools in the county are in the same boat. As the MAC conference up north shows, good competition makes you better, but winning is what builds your programs. We have a couple schools in our league know that wouldn't want to schedule a couple more beat downs, which is what Portsmouth and Ironton would be. I'm just a fan and like I said I wouldn't care, but that is how alot of people in our league will look at it.

Hey we know. You can mention them......Minford D5, Lucasville Valley D5 and Ottway Northwest D4. :-D

Heck let them jump to the SOC I and the 5 of you all, i.e., Waverly D4, Portsmouth West D5, Portsmouth D4, Wheelersburg D5, Ironton D4 and add a Rock Hill D4 from the OVC and you got a pretty powerhouse league on the River.

ARMY :-D

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Minford had a good year and they may have it going. They have alot of good athletes at Minford as you can tell by their other sports. They've shown flashes of brilliance in the past. Daniel's may make them into a consistant winner. One great senior class doesn't make a winner, so will see how they do.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Army wrote:Heck let them jump to the SOC I and the 5 of you all, i.e., Waverly D4, Portsmouth West D5, Portsmouth D4, Wheelersburg D5, Ironton D4 and add a Rock Hill D4 from the OVC and you got a pretty powerhouse league on the River.

ARMY :-D [/b][/color]

That would be a really tough league. No gimmies there. Heck we play all of them except Ironton now. I like it.

GAHS7462
All Conference

Post by GAHS7462 »

I can almost rest assure you all that Gallia Academy will not leave the SEOAL until the league falls apart from under its feet.

John 3:16
oldschoolblue
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolblue »

Gallipolis will always keep it safe, especially with our current AD. We do things the way they were done 30 years ago and give the reason we do it "Because thats the way it has always been done" Gallipolis is the most predictable program in the league if not the state.

oldschoolblue
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolblue »

I agree the SEOAL will always be around but I think several teams within the next few years will leave. Ports to Zanesville, Ironton to Zanesville, anyone in the south to Zanesville, and them being a div. 1 team, I just can not see them staying, ironton will not stay and P town wont be far behind, when that happens I think Chiili. would be next to go. I like all of the formentioned teams but can not see any staying past a few years. IMO

Army
S

Post by Army »

oldschoolblue wrote:I agree the SEOAL will always be around but I think several teams within the next few years will leave. Ports to Zanesville, Ironton to Zanesville, anyone in the south to Zanesville, and them being a div. 1 team, I just can not see them staying, ironton will not stay and P town wont be far behind, when that happens I think Chiili. would be next to go. I like all of the formentioned teams but can not see any staying past a few years. IMO

oldschoolblue,

I don't see Chillicothe going no where. This league in comparison to their past one, i.e., the OCC is the best thing for the Cavaliers since sliced bread.

Unless the MSL-Buckeye came knocking on the door. Then I would see Chillicothe depart for a league where two teams are in Circleville.

(Circleville and Logan Elm), one at Ashville, i.e., (Teays Valley) one on Lockborne Rd., (Hamilton TWP), one at (Canal Winchester), and 3 in Fairfield County, i.e., (Amanda Clearcreek), (Fairfield Union), and.... (Bloom Carroll). But I don't see them offering Chillicothe a slot unless Bloom Carroll or Amanda Clearcreek leaves or a Canal Winchester or Teays Valley departs for the OCC.

Maybe the SCOL if Madison Plains and Clinton Massie wasn't in the League. The travel would be worse than the SEOAL, NOT DISTANCE....but road wise. Most are located on curvey 2 lane roads.

So it's the SEOAL. And I believe Chillicothe will be faithful to this league for many years to come. Unless........... it implodes from within, meaning all the teams leave and the SEOAL disappears, only to become a memory.

As for Portsmouth that's a no where too. Everybody I have talked to at River Town (Trojan-City), state they like the SEOAL too! :-D

Unlike some of those at Ironton. As for Ironton and Zanesville yes. I see both departing and going back to an independent status. No matter if Zanesville leaves or not...then Ironton would be complaining about traveling to Vincent Warren Local or Marietta. I will be totally surprised if Ironton stays. Not dis-respecting there decision, but I state again will be surprised. I also see Zanesville leaving after next season.

Maybe Warren-Local will go back to the TVC in the future. That's to be seen though.

I bet after the 2008-2009 season, this could be the make-up of the SEOAL for the 2009-2010 season.

Marietta D2
Vincent Warren-Local D3
Logan D2
Jackson D2
Chillicothe D3
Portsmouth D4
Gallipolis D4

beezee420
Freshman Team

Post by beezee420 »

well army you may be right. it was reported in the chillicothe gazette that zanesville will be leaving the SEOAL after the 2009 school year. don't know if this is true or not. hopefully someone from zanesville could shed some light on this situation.

Army
S

Post by Army »

beezee420 wrote:well army you may be right. it was reported in the chillicothe gazette that zanesville will be leaving the SEOAL after the 2009 school year. don't know if this is true or not. hopefully someone from zanesville could shed some light on this situation.

beezee420,

From all our sources that we got last night point to the story being true :!:

Both Jackson papers know it and so does Portsmouth.

Now the question is, are the Fighting Tigers from Ironton staying or will they now start to complain about the drive to Logan, Marietta and Vincent Warren Local, stating to the rest of us that it is too far to travel for them :?:

The word is, the SEOAL is going to still keep the split divisions with 8 teams, 4 in each division which I think is idotic. And either bump Chillicothe or Jackson to the North Division. :roll: :roll:

Good Night.......just play an outright League 7 games for the SEOAL. I wonder if Zanesville got into another league or they are going back independent :?:

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

Army, you seem a bit obsessive over Ironton's status in the SEOAL. If you check out the articles in the Ironton newspaper, you can see the current board is not interested in leaving the league. There will still be people who don't like the league for whatever reason, but it seems as if the brass has decided that Ironton isn't going anywhere.

Army
S

Post by Army »

BlindWhiteHat wrote:Army, you seem a bit obsessive over Ironton's status in the SEOAL. If you check out the articles in the Ironton newspaper, you can see the current board is not interested in leaving the league. There will still be people who don't like the league for whatever reason, but it seems as if the brass has decided that Ironton isn't going anywhere.

We all hope so. Especially that the SEOAL will just be an 8 Team even league when we all get ready for the 2009 Football season. 7 league games and 3 non-league games. No more split divisions, everybody plays there league opponents. As many have said, your school adds class as did Zanesville with there Basketball Tradition. But as stated, I'll believe it when 2009 Football Season starts and you all are still with us in the SEOAL. :-D

Remember you all are meeting again in what February with Mr. Vass to point out the pros and cons to stay or leave the SEOAL :?:

To be continued :!: :-D

Last edited by Army on Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Is the soup ready yet

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
oldschoolblue
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolblue »

Army your reply makes perfect sense and I hope you are right on how the league will look in 2009-10.

ghostwriter
Varsity

Post by ghostwriter »

I look for Ironton to go to "Pay to Participate" if we are not careful....We must remember some families can afford this move....However, the large percentage of our kids can not....

ItownHosscat
S

Post by ItownHosscat »

Im sure there is an organization that would/will help with that/those types of problems.

Never Give Up!

Return to “Football”