Ironton Out Of SEOAL?

Army
S

Post by Army »

tigercannon71 wrote:You want the reality of today. Heres the reality of today for you we never should have gotten into the league in the first place. A few people thought they knew better and that is why Ironton is in turmoil right now. Facts are bearing out that this was a very wrong decision. Its time to cut bait and get out while we still can. If you got a finger with gangrene you dont wait and see and if something can be done to make it better you cut it off before it can spread to your hand and you lose it. Same here you lose that much money in one year you need to get out before you lose more money or programs even. Its a sound business decision.

tigercannon71,
I like you, but this non-sense of joining and leaving already is beginning to be a joke. Some down there are starting to sound like a bunch Kentuckians fighting over Wildcat B-Ball. Fighting over one sport. Instead it's Football at Ironton :!:

The rest of your programs at Ironton seems to many of us as secondary and really doesn't matter. I bet those other sports at Ironton matters to the kids though? How many are actually pushing for Ironton to get out? It seems that there is just a small minority of folks down there pushing to leave. What about the rest of the Community/ But especially those stomping the most about leaving, seems to us they could care less about the other Ironton Sports your kids are involved in. Like the second biggest revenue sport, Basketball. :-D

I have a friend who is a pastor and ministered at a large church in Ironton in the 90's. He was not from Ironton, but he did say, "they could never be satisfied down there. Always bickering and fighting among each other, like a bunch of hillbillies." That I'll never forget. :-D

He stated, "Especially over Football. Like the older generations were still in High School instead of the kids playing the sport."

If your Ironton Fighting Tigers are really needing to go, then pay the fine and hit the door, quit talking about it and do it. You don't see your neigbor Portsmouth crying do you? Have you noticed that your Mr. Vaughn takes pictures and videos of certain Ironton Coaches only? It seems to many of us, that he is not doing it for the kids but for the coaches, the same goes for KantuckyII and HenrySteele. KantuckyII didn't even play football did he? They seem to be followers of Coach Lutz and Burcham. I heard they tried to get with Roger Zornes but I don't think he wanted any part of them but to hear them tell it, they all were big buddies.

tigercannon71,
Notice they don't take basketball pictures like they did in the past. Bottom line is, they only come if they are winning. :roll:

Maybe you all should really petition the OVC to join that Conference and promise them, if you all are accepted, you all promise not to win everything the first 5 years, except football, then maybe they might let you all in. How many fans are attending your Ironton basketball games Henry Steele and TigerCannon? Do you actually know? Or is it, that you all would not know how many fans attend because you don't ever come to basketball games as well as the few football games you attend? :-D

Look at your basketball thread. There are some already calling for your B-Ball's Coaches head. WOW it is a mess down there. I am glad Portsmouth is on board. They have there school in order and as we all hear really love the SEOAL. It's about competing. But in all sports not just one. If you got to leave, go. Go back to being an independent. Because there is no league in SE-Ohio that will invite you all in. That's for sure. What happens if you all start losing as an independent? Then what?

Blame your coaches :?: :roll:

Good Luck on your decision what ever you all do :!:

ARMY :-D
Last edited by Army on Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Army, if you look Ive mentioned the other teams in my posts. If your two biggest moneymakers are losing money how do you think your other teams are doing that dont generate that much revenue to start with. Its not just about football, but the others as well. Thank about this in baseball/softball you play 3 games a week. In those three say you travel 1 night to Marietta, 1 to Athens, and 1 to Gallipolis. Thats a lot of gas money. look at it this way say Ironton athletics continues to lose $40,000 a year what happens is they begin to get rid of other sports before they get rid of football and basketball. So by making the decision to leave you are making sure all your sports programs survive.

As for the numbers at the basketball game. You are right I couldnt tell you Im not a big basketball fan. I only watch basketball during March Madness, the NBA playoffs if the Cavs are in it, and every now and then the Bukeyes. Other than that dont watch it.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I don't understand why the SOC would not want Ironton or Portsmouth in that league. In the past, Ironton and Portsmouth were much larger than the SOC schools, so that is totally understandable as to why they did not want them back then. However, Ironton and Portsmouth are no longer larger than the other area schools. In fact, neither would be the largest school in the SOC if they were in that league.

If Portsmouth wants to stay in the SEOAL, that is great. But if Ironton wanted out, I think the SOC should welcome them into their league. That would be a major revenue boost for all involved. Not to mention that you would have a great league in terms of competition as well. Think how much more intense Ironton vs. Wheelersburg would become if it were a league game and had title implication on the line? And with Waverly, Portsmouth West, Minford and Valley, I would think that would be a terrific league in terms of competition and higher revenue.

When was the last time their was discussion in the SOC about Ironton or Portsmouth? Has it been in recent years or was it years ago when these schools were much larger? It just seems to me that the most logical thing to do in terms of competition AND revenue generation would be for the SOC to invite Ironton to join that league. Portsmouth would make a great fit too, but if Portsmouth is happy in the SEOAL, then they should stay in the SEOAL. But I think the SOC could really make some noise if they did invite Ironton or Portsmouth to join their league.

Doesn't that make the most sense or am I totally missing something here?

Old Tom Morris
Freshman Team

Post by Old Tom Morris »

tigercannon

So we know you do not attend basketball games, there's an example for some lost/missing revenue from the Ironton fan base. When was the last time you "ponied" up some cash and attended a football game? Probably another example of "missing" revenue.

So you care about the "minor" aports at Ironton and you really care about Ironton Football, why don't you support the program with your cash instaed of lip service. Seems that would be of more of a benefit to the student athletes than your posts offer!

Army
S

Post by Army »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:I don't understand why the SOC would not want Ironton or Portsmouth in that league. In the past, Ironton and Portsmouth were much larger than the SOC schools, so that is totally understandable as to why they did not want them back then. However, Ironton and Portsmouth are no longer larger than the other area schools. In fact, neither would be the largest school in the SOC if they were in that league.

If Portsmouth wants to stay in the SEOAL, that is great. But if Ironton wanted out, I think the SOC should welcome them into their league. That would be a major revenue boost for all involved. Not to mention that you would have a great league in terms of competition as well. Think how much more intense Ironton vs. Wheelersburg would become if it were a league game and had title implication on the line? And with Waverly, Portsmouth West, Minford and Valley, I would think that would be a terrific league in terms of competition and higher revenue.

When was the last time their was discussion in the SOC about Ironton or Portsmouth? Has it been in recent years or was it years ago when these schools were much larger? It just seems to me that the most logical thing to do in terms of competition AND revenue generation would be for the SOC to invite Ironton to join that league. Portsmouth would make a great fit too, but if Portsmouth is happy in the SEOAL, then they should stay in the SEOAL. But I think the SOC could really make some noise if they did invite Ironton or Portsmouth to join their league.

Doesn't that make the most sense or am I totally missing something here?

NYBuckeye96,

Your right, but the SOC II just isn't. Waverly D4 has fond memories of Ironton D4 stomping them from 1970-1985 in there SEOAL era. :shock:

Likewise Portsmouth West D5 too, that being defeated at the hands of Ironton. Plus there is the Merrill Tripplett thing. :-D

I could see Portsmouth West D5 saying yes to Portsmouth D4 to join the SOC II but not Ironton D4. :-D
Minford D5, Ottway Nortwest D4 and Lucasville Valley D5 will vote no that's a guarenteed NO VOTE. Can you blame them? The only school that might say yes to both schools joining would be Wheelersburg D5. :-D

I agree though, what a league that would become.
Last edited by Army on Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Actually tom its not missing revenue from me not going to a basketball game. See if I had ever went to one then stopped going it would be missing revenue, but if it was never there in the first place it cant be missing now can it?

Old Tom Morris
Freshman Team

Post by Old Tom Morris »

It's still missing, a self professed Ironton fan complaining about lack of revenue for the athletic department while not attending athletic events is in fact missing revenue. Had you been attending and stopped that would be lost revenue.

Either way, the programs are not receiving monetary support from YOU!

Hence - You are part of the problem, you could become part of the solution if you were to purchase a ticket instead of complaining.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

So let me guess you go to every game home or away no matter what sport huh? If you dont then you too are part of the problem.

Old Tom Morris
Freshman Team

Post by Old Tom Morris »

tigercannon

I attend as many home games as I can. As far as away gmes, I seldomn have an opportunity to get to those. As far as I am aware there is not revenue sharing that exists between the SEOAL teams so my attandence at away games does not add or take away any money from the pockets of the Ironton Athletic Department.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

So why are you yelling at me for not going to the games when you yourself dont go to them all.
Lets get back on track this is about Ironton leaving the league.

Old Tom Morris
Freshman Team

Post by Old Tom Morris »

tigercannon

I was on the subject, you mentioned the declining revenues to the athletic department and I asked about your spending where Ironton games are concerned. You talk about how this should be a business decision made by dollars and cents but you as one of the "stockholders" do not see your company worth investing your own dollars in. So, until you buy a ticket and attend a game don't complain about declining revenues, You are just as responsible for that problem as eveyone else you want to blame is.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Tom, if I went to every game and bought concessions my 150 I spent would not put help gain back the lost revenue. See tom its not about 1 person. The money isnt lost if one person doesnt go. Its lost when 100 people dont go. Thats the problem. Getting out of the league will help the attendance problem, plus it reduces expenses which will also help us to raise revenue.

ghostwriter
Varsity

Post by ghostwriter »

Old Tom Morris wrote:Lets see

Lutz and Saturday night games >>>>> seems I remember a time when Bob Lutz's teams played their home games on Saturday nights and I do not know that he had a problem then.

Tom, you left something out....

When, you went to school at Ironton Saint Joe and there was a football program....Because, of the Ironton Tigers home games St. Joe had no choice....But, to play home games at "The Tank" on Saturday nights....

Let's be fair and let everyone know "WHY" Coach Lutz played on Saturday nights....Sure he wanted to play on Friday nights and still does....

And, when we talk of "Revenue" and for people to "Pony-up"....While volunteering for the Athletic Department collecting money and tickets at the football games....I see who "Pony-up and who do not"....

henrysteele
JV Team

Post by henrysteele »

Army:

I hear you are a "chaplain". Please say a prayer for me since you can see my faults without even meeting me. While you are at it, say one for the whole town of Ironton!

;-)

henrysteele
JV Team

Post by henrysteele »

Army:

As for Roger Zornes, my dad was a good friend with that man before he ever coached at Ironton. My dad even played golf with him on Fridays.

Bob Vaughn, kantucky and I attended the perfect season (20-0) dinner honoring the basketball team. This dinner was by invitation only. If Roger Zornes did NOT like us, we sure would not have been in attendance!

All of us have done stuff for sports other than football.

Your Ironton sources are filling you up with half-truths and lies. As a minister, should you be spreading such stuff?

Old Tom Morris
Freshman Team

Post by Old Tom Morris »

Old Tom Morris wrote:
Lets see

Lutz and Saturday night games >>>>> seems I remember a time when Bob Lutz's teams played their home games on Saturday nights and I do not know that he had a problem then.

Tom, you left something out....

When, you went to school at Ironton Saint Joe and there was a football program....Because, of the Ironton Tigers home games St. Joe had no choice....But, to play home games at "The Tank" on Saturday nights....

Are you aware of him having a problem with Saturday nights then???

Tom, if I went to every game and bought concessions my 150 I spent would not put help gain back the lost revenue. See tom its not about 1 person. The money isnt lost if one person doesnt go. Its lost when 100 people dont go. Thats the problem. Getting out of the league will help the attendance problem, plus it reduces expenses which will also help us to raise revenue.

tigercannon

My simple math tells me that 1 + 1 +1 a few times will soon = 100

If you and 100 other people do the very same thing that amounts to a significant amount of lost revenue as you were so good to point out. Its sorta like voting in elections, every dollar counts the same as every vote counts.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

You just dont get it tom, it was a bad idea to join it and now when they got a chance to fix that horrible decision a few people dont have the fortitide to stand by their original vote and the bad experiment gets worse.

ghostwriter
Varsity

Post by ghostwriter »

Old Tom,

Yes, I am aware of the problem of Saturday Night games....If you don't believe me....Ask him yourself....Coaches and Kids do not need a 6 day sport week....The Kids deserve a weekend to relax....

Old Tom Morris
Freshman Team

Post by Old Tom Morris »

ghostwriter

Did Bob Lutz have a problem with Saturday night games when he coached at Saint Joe?

BTW - You could have answered the PM!

Old Tom Morris
Freshman Team

Post by Old Tom Morris »

tigercannon

If you indeed feel so pasionate about people not sticking with their earlier vote why don't you just give Mr. Rowe from the school board a call and express your opinion.

I didn't figure you would want to do that since your method of operation seems to be cut and run when you don't like your options.

Lets see - so far your not doing too well in my economics class and I don't believe your ready for the Contracts section of Business Law yet.

Return to “Football”