Re: OVC 2009

Post by theassassin »

02 5-5 (3-2 ovc)
03 6-4 (2-3 ovc)

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Thanx for reminding me of that 2003 year, assassin. Man, the OVC was loaded that year!
The OVC and River Valley need to get back to those results.

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

i think rv went into final week of the season that year with an outside chance of making the playoffs but lost.
if i memory is right 3 teams did make the playoffs that year.

Bear
Freshman Team

Post by Bear »

theassassin wrote:i think rv went into final week of the season that year with an outside chance of making the playoffs but lost.

Yep, which totally debunks the argument that some Ironton fans are making in the Ironton/OVC thread.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Bear wrote:
theassassin wrote:i think rv went into final week of the season that year with an outside chance of making the playoffs but lost.

Yep, which totally debunks the argument that some Ironton fans are making in the Ironton/OVC thread.

In 2007, Rock Hill went 3-2 in the OVC. Coal Grove and South Point tied for the OVC title at 4-1, so Rock Hill finished 2nd or 3rd depending on how you look at it, but they made the playoffs in region 15 and beat out Ironton!
The arrogance of some of those people just completely throws me for a loop.

bigtimehitter
All Conference

Post by bigtimehitter »

Yea thats right, cause they played fairland the last game of the year and lost. I was a freshman for fairland that year and we had to win to make it to the playoffs and river valley was 6-3 at that point Fairland had a pretty good team that year, very easily could have finished the regular season 9-1.

ChessyFan09
Freshman Team

Post by ChessyFan09 »

Until Peake gets some fresh ideas on offense they will continue to be the same boring , predictable group they have been for the last several years. The other coaches appreciate the fact they don"t have to scout a Davis team ,just look at any old film that's laying around.They're all the same,run 3 times then punt unless of course there's a fumble. I think Lindsey will be a good QB and Hintz will do well running, but that's not nearly enough. Davis never develops a kicking game(a field goal IS still worth 3 points you know) and a 1 point PAT should be a viable option,in the event a TD is scored. Andy Clark should be the head man and bring some life to this bunch.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

ChessyFan09 wrote:Until Peake gets some fresh ideas on offense they will continue to be the same boring , predictable group they have been for the last several years. The other coaches appreciate the fact they don"t have to scout a Davis team ,just look at any old film that's laying around.They're all the same,run 3 times then punt unless of course there's a fumble. I think Lindsey will be a good QB and Hintz will do well running, but that's not nearly enough. Davis never develops a kicking game(a field goal IS still worth 3 points you know) and a 1 point PAT should be a viable option,in the event a TD is scored. Andy Clark should be the head man and bring some life to this bunch.

I think Chesapeake's offense is much less predictable than Coal Grove's. For most of the decade, the philosophy with most OVC teams has been primarily run 3 times and punt, but it's changing now as we've seen with Fairland especially, and Rock Hill with McCollister at QB. And I don't think there's a really solid kicking game in the OVC as far as field goals go.
Davis is a heck of a coach as far as I'm concerned. His teams of the early decade were among the best in OVC history (for whatever that's worth) 8).

Ump
Freshman Team

Post by Ump »

You mention Fairland changing.....Wilcoxen is gone. He's at Huntington High now I believe. With the middle school coach taking over the high school program I think you will see the old FHS. 3 downs, a cloud of dust and punt.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

There's nothing wrong with running 3 straight times as long as it's working and as long as you aren't wasting potential. Ironton does it and they're the most storied team in the area. It's all about execution. Fairland threw quite a bit this past year and Wilcoxin wasn't the coach. Heck, they threw in the middle of a rain shower in the Coal Grove game and it worked. They had a great backfield and good line and they used it a lot. . . and it worked.
The problem I saw with Wilcoxin was the fact that he got downright dogmatic with the offensive scheme - he would keep doing the same ol' stuff - especially screens and draws - whether it worked or not.
There's also a lot of dogma with the running game at Ironton and Coal Grove - they're gonna run right at you and you're either gonna stop 'em or you aren't. They've stuck with it, and most of the time it has worked. The question has always been, "how much potential have we wasted by sticking with this and not letting other players touch the ball?"

LetItBe
Waterboy

Post by LetItBe »

Well allow me to answer that question for you fuzz: Coal Grove has wasted A LOT of talent over the last few years that I've been coming to games at Patterson Field/Lemaster Stadium. I'm not even from Coal Grove or a big Coal Grove fan and it makes me sick to my stomach to see a team of 50+ players with only maybe 15 of them getting any serious PT. That shouldn't happen. Now I've heard rumors that the coaching staff here likes to play favorites with the good ol' boys' kids. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but something definitely doesn't smell right when you have all those kids playing both sides of the ball all game long. That's pure foolishness.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

I've said from the get-go that I don't understand why so many kids have to play both sides of the ball for pretty much the whole game. No one on here or elsewhere has been able to explain it to me.
I personally don't think Coach Lucas plays favorites. I don't think his record would be what it is if he did something as childish as that. Now don't get me wrong, there are parents in Coal Grove who feel that it's their son's God-given right to start all 4 years simply because of their last name. The good ol' boy system is what the village of Coal Grove is all about - you can see that with how things are run in the school system and in the political scene. That's the main reason that people are upset with the basketball coach - he doesn't care what your last name is or who your parents are - if you aren't good enough to start, you won't start. People don't like that even though he's a proven winner. I'm sure Coach Lucas has had to put up with those types of parents, too. But I think most people have WAY too much respect for Big Dad to whine to his face about their kid not getting the playing time they think he's entitled to.
So whine on, Coal Grove parents! Whenever you whine, that's usually when everyone else knows that whatever you're whining about is the right thing to do. :mrgreen:

rico suave
Freshman Team

Post by rico suave »

yes fuzz i agree with u on the good ol boy system at the grove. and it still is going on. but as far as basketball goes it will go on this yr. so just go to a game. the guy that hired ward has a son that will be a freshman and i guarentee you he will play varsity. as far as football the guy that donated most of the money for the football field now has his son-in-law helping on the varsity and to beat it all coaching his sons. if u look deep enough there is always an angle at the grove sorry to say. i hope lucas doesn't let this favoritism abound this year and ruin what he has built back up since he came back. and yes the grove has plenty of players to be able to play just one way.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

rico suave wrote:yes fuzz i agree with u on the good ol boy system at the grove. and it still is going on. but as far as basketball goes it will go on this yr. so just go to a game. the guy that hired ward has a son that will be a freshman and i guarentee you he will play varsity. as far as football the guy that donated most of the money for the football field now has his son-in-law helping on the varsity and to beat it all coaching his sons. if u look deep enough there is always an angle at the grove sorry to say. i hope lucas doesn't let this favoritism abound this year and ruin what he has built back up since he came back. and yes the grove has plenty of players to be able to play just one way.

We'll just have to see how it plays out. From what I've heard about Ward, though, I just can't see him doing something like this. Now I don't go to many of the games anymore. The reason I don't is because I can't sit anywhere on the home bleachers and NOT have to listen to some parent who thinks "Mah boy deserves more time!" In my own humble opinion, there are only two(maybe three) people from Coal Grove still living in the area who actually know enough about basketball to be a head basketball coach. One of them is Coach Miller and his record as a boys' and girls' coach speaks for itself.

Now about the football team: what you've just mentioned doesn't surprise me at all and it really doesn't concern me - it's not the first time something like that has happened and you seem like you have a well-enough grasp of the situation to know that. There's a difference between "helping" and really coaching.
Everyone knows the expectations this year and the talent level. The true Coaching Staff is not going to let so much potential go to waste in the name of small-town politics. This should be a playoff year and an outright OVC championship - Coal Grove is up and everyone else in the conference looks to be down.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

To add to your comment fuzz, everyone in the Grove knows this should be a playoff year, and to let that go to waste for the good ol boy system means you will still have a lot more people to answer too. I know this goes on, I had to deal with it when I was in school, and it sucks, thats why I am glad none of my children are in sports they want to be in band, I don't want them to deal with what I went through knowing you have the talent to play just not the last name.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

2trap_4ever wrote:To add to your comment fuzz, everyone in the Grove knows this should be a playoff year, and to let that go to waste for the good ol boy system means you will still have a lot more people to answer too. I know this goes on, I had to deal with it when I was in school, and it sucks, thats why I am glad none of my children are in sports they want to be in band, I don't want them to deal with what I went through knowing you have the talent to play just not the last name.

Excellent post, 2trap! Yours and Rico's are the best posts I've read about Coal Grove athletics/politics since I joined this site. I know there are others out there who feel the same way we do - I think the last school board election and their choice of an "outsider" superindentant shows that the "system" doesn't carry as much weight as it used to, but it's still very much alive and continues to play a huge part in these matters. But the majority of people in the Coal Grove district don't have magical last names and I think they're starting to get sick of it. That's why I wish the silent majority out there would speak out openly against such foolishness and head it off wherever it rears it's ugly head.

LetItBe
Waterboy

Post by LetItBe »

2trap_4ever wrote:To add to your comment fuzz, everyone in the Grove knows this should be a playoff year, and to let that go to waste for the good ol boy system means you will still have a lot more people to answer too. I know this goes on, I had to deal with it when I was in school, and it sucks, thats why I am glad none of my children are in sports they want to be in band, I don't want them to deal with what I went through knowing you have the talent to play just not the last name.

Ok this jus seems totally crazy to me. If fuzhead is right and most people in the grove are truly mad about what's goin on, why don't they do anything about it? I've heard these same whispers coming from parents and CG fans that everyone's furious at the way things are being run. Yet I've been driving over to games at Coal Grove off-and-on for the past few years, watching my relatives suit up and play and every year I heard the same silent whispers and the same complaints. I don't think any grover out there truly wants change. I think they're perfectly happy wallowing around in the mire of nepotism and mediocre standards.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

letitbe, the problem is the people you are upset with are the same families you have voice your problems too. It's hard to get change when the problem is also the place were your going to find solutions.

LetItBe
Waterboy

Post by LetItBe »

2trap_4ever wrote:letitbe, the problem is the people you are upset with are the same families you have voice your problems too. It's hard to get change when the problem is also the place were your going to find solutions.

Uh it seems like the place to start would be the school board, since people have the power to vote them in and out. It seems like if people were truly upset with the way they did buisiness, they would have given them the boot. I'm told by a relative in the grove that there's a lady who's ben on that same board for like 30 years!!! That is pitiful. I've also been infromed that the same board member's son is the ad and that she cast a vote to make a member of the so-called 'royal family' the superin. . . . . hmmmmmmmmmmmm? Yet people who are supposedly mad about this type of thing have kept this person on the board for this amount of time?????????
Believe you me, if this kind of crap happened where I live, there'd be a riot and people's political heads would roll. If athletics are run in the same fashion, then may God help you.

Good day to you. . . . .

bigtimehitter
All Conference

Post by bigtimehitter »

Guys, it goes on in every little podunk town with most of the high school graduates of that podunk town living within a 20 mile radius. With most positions like coaches goes to the Good Ole boy that had a good name and was a standout athlete, IT IS IN EVERY LITTLE PODUNK TOWN ACROSS THE COUNTRY. But you guys are right, I attended Fairland, but i can honestly say NOTHING like that went on when Wilcoxen coached the team. Now before him, and after him........

Return to “Football”