#1 Shadyside (11-0) vs #2 Trimble (12-0)

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Re: #1 Shadyside (11-0) vs #2 Trimble (12-0)

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

the FC fan wrote: Two teams from the same county (and league) in the final four is impressive, but certainly the 5/17 comment drew ire. Doesn't the TVC generally send >3 teams to week 11? NY & Trimble are generally good for the post-season plus a team or two from the other part of the conference. I guess I'm surprised five of the seventeen (or four of the sixteen, not counting Wahama & WV playoffs) is apparently an atypical performance of this league. I don't think the TVC is a weak league, and certainly it's strong teams are showing how for real they are. I guess my point is while the TVC isn't a weak league, it's not a conference that top to bottom is especially strong (in fact, outside of Cincinnati's Greater Catholic League and the MAC, I don't a conference with such competitive prowess and parity across the state of Ohio exists). The MSL send 10/21 to playoffs, but that doesn't change the fact most of the eleven teams that didn't qualify aren't that good - nor does it change the fact the TVC's top two would have their way with the MSL's top two.

TVC has two teams in the final four, which is something most leagues can't say. It's just the idea there's so much praise for a 17 school league sending five to the playoffs is what befuddles me (namely because I imagine the TVC as a whole is good for sending four teams year in/year out). Not at all looking to be "that guy".

Like I stated, it was great to see such support last night from Athens Co and general SE Ohio fans for a team they want to beat weeks 1-10; I imagine there was a lot of support for Trimble as well. I can see where my comment can be taken as dickish, certainly wasn't the intention so my apologies. Just surprised how sending 5/17 to week 11 was such a big deal, since it would almost sound like a given from a quantitative perspective. But most importantly, we're talking about kids and communities so instead of thinking "man they think 5/17 is a big deal", I'll appreciate the fact there's such support for the five teams extending beyond their respective fanbases.

Tl;dr - man, thinking about a kids' game quantitatively isn't fun! -- good luck Athens and Trimble, keep making your friends and families (and your neighbors!) proud!

SD- MSL sent 9/21 (earlier I said 10/21 but I mis-counted in my head in retrospect). Granted, the one division (the Buckeye, with schools such as Logan Elm, Bloom-Carroll et al) sent five of eight, so they basically backpacked the MSL's bragging rights there as the other two combined to send 4/13. Hopefully we can do better next year.

Sorry for taking away from the thread. At least radio stations aren't taking sides on here :mrgreen:

Sorry folks, but I couldn't help my self. I had to do some fact checking of FC fans MSL superiority post. So here goes:

He claims that while the top teams in the TVC are of quality, the teams at the bottom are not very good. Fact: TVC Hocking last place Miller lost to MSL Cardinal 3rd place Millersport 7-6. Miller did not win a conference game in the TVC. While he did correctly correct himself that 9 of 21 MSL teams made the playoffs, 7 of the 9 lost in the first round. That's 22% of the playoff teams advancing past the first round. Of those two, 1, or 11% went past the second round losing in the 3rd. So 0% went on to the 4th round. The TVC had 3 of 5 losing in the first round, which means 40% advanced. 40% advanced to the 3rd round, and 40% advanced to the 4th round.

He said he could not believe that 5 teams making the playoffs of 16 was such a big deal. In context, it is. Meaning that people use to make jokes about the TVC not beating any quality opponents. They would also point out the lack of playoff success of the TVC teams. So to some, who remember those comments, the recent success is a big deal. Hopefully in the near future FC will rise to the type of program they were a few short years ago, and FC fan will have something positive to post about and he can quit spewing his negativity toward the TVC. :mrgreen:

Return to “Football”