2021 OVC

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: 2021 OVC

Post by trojandave »

fielddaddy: You omitted Portsmouth in your rankings. I agree with you on Ironton dominating the OVC with what Pendleton has done with the program. I agree with wobycat in that I doubt that the OVC will allow Ironton to play as an independent in football only.

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

wobycat wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:51 pm
fielddaddy wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:06 pm Ironton by large and far.
Would not surprise me to see Ironton leave the OVC in football in the next few years and try to stay in the league in all other sports.
Coach Pendleton has done wonders at Ironton in the 3 years he has been there.
Upgrading the schedule this year was a must and it showed against a very good Kirtland team.
Wheelersburg will be tough as always as will Jackson and Moeller may just be for show but it will give the Ironton team a measuring stick to see where they stand.
The OVC even though it is very travel friendly is not enough to prepare Ironton for the post season and with the talent Ironton has it needs to schedule up to get better.
Making another run to the state title game is not out of the question
OVC will be
Ironton
Gallia
Coal Grove
Fairland
Chesapeake
Rock Hill
South Point.
With Fairland and Coal Grove maybe flipping or tying each other in the standings
I seriously doubt that the ovc will allow ironton just to opt out of football. They could try to join another league but the insanity surrounding the football team right now will eventually settle. They will always be the team to beat in football but the other sports will cycle.
Maybe but the OVC loves Ironton in the other sports because of travel and the chance to beat their chest on how the beat Ironton.
Football though is another thing Ironton realizes the OVC isn't a good test for them in Football.
Rock Hill South Point are very weak with no sign of turning it around anytime soon.
Coal grove and Chesapeake And even Fairland may challenge every 5 or 6 years and Gallia who knows .
Ironton is a whole different beast here in the last few years and looks to be going no where soon in terms of winning.
But I can see the OVC saying it's time to go to all sports I would hate to see that happen but when Ironton was down they was all for taking them in the OVC.
Ironton isn't down no longer and being the mew kid on the block so to speak Ironton really doesn't have any backers in the OVC to keep them there.

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

trojandave wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:25 am fielddaddy: You omitted Portsmouth in your rankings. I agree with you on Ironton dominating the OVC with what Pendleton has done with the program. I agree with wobycat in that I doubt that the OVC will allow Ironton to play as an independent in football only.
I am sorry for not including Portsmouth the maybe sadly climbing out of the cellar in the OVC they have some talent but they are Jeckle and Hyde you never know what side will show up.
The OVC may not allow Ironton to be a member of all sports except Football.
But I don't see them allowing Ironton to stay in the conference with the football team getting better every year as they are doing.
If Ironton was a founding member of the OVC they would have a chance but being basically new to the conference so to speak I just don't see them having much of a voice in their fate of staying in the conference

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

Paulcrew wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:09 am
GalliaTribe wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:30 pm
packers80 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:25 pm

I wouldn't count on that
Me either. Only hope for Ironton would be that Ridgewood QB gets hurt again and Kirtland moves down a division.
Dang! What a coup for the OVC! Ridgewood and Kirtland now members of the conference? Exciting news!
That trip to Kirtland will be a beast. :lol:

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

fielddaddy wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:06 pm

But I can see the OVC saying it's time to go to all sports I would hate to see that happen but when Ironton was down they was all for taking them in the OVC.
When Ironton was down they came to the OVC wanting in, not the other way around. Still if Ironton wants to be world beaters then they would have to leave the OVC and that means all sports would have to leave, so it Ironton has to consider if it is feasible to schedule independent in all sports just to be able to schedule up football.

pistol
Freshman Team

Post by pistol »

They’ve already taken their youth teams out of the teen ovc league so it’s probably just a matter of time.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Ironton made it to the state championship game 2 years in a row playing in the OVC, so playing an independent schedule is overrated. They didn't beat Kirtland in both years, but that doesn't mean they should leave the OVC. I remember when Portsmouth was an independent for 11 years before joining the SEOAL how difficult scheduling 10 non-conference games were. The last 6-7 games of a football schedule are devoted to conference play, and virtually everyone is in a conference and don't have an open week to play non-conference.

Ironton's program is in a good spot right now, so leaving the OVC is an overreaction after losing to Kirtland. IHS could schedule anybody in the state for 10 games and still lose to Kirtland. There's no schedule that will necessarily put them over the top and beat Kirtland or any other power program for that matter. The Fighting Tigers are very close to bringing home that state championship trophy, so I'm sure the coaching staff knows what adjustments or changes have to be made to win that last game. Playing a 10 game independent schedule isn't one of them.

Wheelersburg won the state title in 2017 playing in their conference. Ironton can do the same as long as it keeps it's program in the current state that it's in, and that includes retaining the coaching staff that has turned the Fighting Tigers into once again a perennial state contender.

Trimble lost the 2018 state championship game to 11 time state champion Maria Stein Marion Local. Does that mean they should leave the TVC and play independent? They're still in the TVC, and that's where they should be. The Tomcats are a consistent football power playing their conference schedule.......and it's no shame losing to MSML. MSML has ruined the dreams of many schools along their way to legend status.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Leaving OVC would be a huge problem for ironton. Leaving little league isn’t that big of a deal but the other would. When ironton was a thriving town, they only one won state twice. The mere fact they are competing for the state the last two years is a great accomplishment but being realistic, it’s going to be hard to maintain year in and year out. Even with a few transfers that will come in.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

How true !!!

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

Ironton making it to the state back to back is a huge feat I admit.
And the OVC is a great place for Ironton but the grumbling has started about the fact Ironton never should have been let in by several schools.
The OVC isn't a world beater in football Ironton is a standard no doubt now.
And will it be hard to win year in year out maybe.
The fact is Ironton has a very good coach who has brought discipline to the team that they did not have in the down years.
No knock on the last coach he was a players coach who wanted to win like any other coach would he just didn't work out in Ironton.
Pendleton is now the Athletic director to so he will be scheduling up on his team and others.
And as Ironton wins the players confidence in the team and their strengths will also continue.
They have a very good non-conference schedule with the Burg Jackson and Moeller.
Moeller will be a monster no doubt with their size alone.
Jackson is winnable with mistake free football and Burg is just Burg tough hard hitting and doesn't turn the ball over.
AND the OVC Gallia will be fighting for second place with Fairland with Coal Grove right behind.
Then Chesapeake should be behind them.
Rock Hill South Point And Portsmouth will be trying to stay out of the cellar as they look for their identities.
Personally I like the OVC for Ironton but does it like Ironton for the long haul.
That is the question independent would be hard Logan is seeing that now.
But with it going to 16 team playoffs making them as a independent won't be so hard now either.
Time will tell

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

fielddaddy wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:03 pm Ironton making it to the state back to back is a huge feat I admit.
And the OVC is a great place for Ironton but the grumbling has started about the fact Ironton never should have been let in by several schools.
The fact is Ironton has a very good coach who has brought discipline to the team that they did not have in the down years.
No knock on the last coach he was a players coach who wanted to win like any other coach would he just didn't work out in Ironton.
Pendleton is now the Athletic director to so he will be scheduling up on his team and others.
And as Ironton wins the players confidence in the team and their strengths will also continue.
They have a very good non-conference schedule with the Burg Jackson and Moeller.
Jackson is winnable with mistake free football and Burg is just Burg tough hard hitting and doesn't turn the ball over.
AND the OVC Gallia will be fighting for second place with Fairland with Coal Grove right behind.
Rock Hill South Point And Portsmouth will be trying to stay out of the cellar as they look for their identities.
Personally I like the OVC for Ironton but does it like Ironton for the long haul.
But with it going to 16 team playoffs making them as a independent won't be so hard now either.
Time will tell
The problem is the ovc is more than football. I don’t think the ovc will allow ironton to just leave football.

Irontons back to back state appearances was impressive but that was with an all state, all nation OSU linebacker and quite a few transfers. Let’s see how they do with just ironton kids. Right now it seems like an open door policy. It’s a lot easier to dominate with extra help.

artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

I’m positive you are aware of that,since you root for the Pirates.

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

wobycat wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:23 pm
fielddaddy wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:03 pm Ironton making it to the state back to back is a huge feat I admit.
Time will tell
The problem is the ovc is more than football. I don’t think the ovc will allow ironton to just leave football.

Irontons back to back state appearances was impressive but that was with an all state, all nation OSU linebacker and quite a few transfers. Let’s see how they do with just ironton kids. Right now it seems like an open door policy. It’s a lot easier to dominate with extra help.
I agree Reid was a asset to have for Ironton and as for the comment the revolving door many schools accept transfers.
The question is does one stay with a school that wins once every 6-7 years if lucky or go to a school that is winning and advancing to playoffs and might possibly get a look by a small or large college school.
I do not fault no one for wanting to play for teams that win.
As for the OVC I wish they could remain in all other sports more than likely they will not be allowed to do so.
Playing as a independent will be hard but not imposable Ironton has done it before and though hard they will be able to fill the schedule.
As for this year Ironton should be miles ahead of the rest of the OVC and that may not be a good thing for them as the OVC is concerned

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

fielddaddy wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:43 am
wobycat wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:23 pm
Time will tell

I agree Reid was a asset to have for Ironton and as for the comment the revolving door many schools accept transfers.
The question is does one stay with a school that wins once every 6-7 years if lucky or go to a school that is winning and advancing to playoffs and might possibly get a look by a small or large college school.
I do not fault no one for wanting to play for teams that win.
As for the OVC I wish they could remain in all other sports more than likely they will not be allowed to do so.
Playing as a independent will be hard but not imposable Ironton has done it before and though hard they will be able to fill the schedule.
As for this year Ironton should be miles ahead of the rest of the OVC and that may not be a good thing for them as the OVC is concerned
There’s no plausible way for the other sports to be independent with scheduling. But the fact that we are talking about open door is slippery slope that OHSAA is probably going to have revamp. CB has tried to level it out but it’s not helping the schools that have voids when players leave.

TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

Like it or not " free agency " is here in all sports from pro to high school. The transfer portal in all college sports is busting out at the seams.
KIds and parents alike want the best opportunities to win and get noticed. Sure there has been athletes at other schools who have made division 1 teams. Ironton is the shining toy now that is attracting athletes from other schools and probably will continue if they continue to produce. For some here they are allowing Ironton to live rent free in their minds worrying about transfers and recruiting.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

TheFlyingDutchman wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:43 am Like it or not " free agency " is here in all sports from pro to high school. The transfer portal in all college sports is busting out at the seams.
KIds and parents alike want the best opportunities to win and get noticed. Sure there has been athletes at other schools who have made division 1 teams. Ironton is the shining toy now that is attracting athletes from other schools and probably will continue if they continue to produce. For some here they are allowing Ironton to live rent free in their minds worrying about transfers and recruiting.
Wow. We are talking about high school sports, better yet public education. If you’re going on that theory, kirtland should have a competitive balance that would propel them to at least d3.

Like I said their wins have come with a lot of help. I’m interested in what they can do with no transfers. Can this coaching staff work with just ironton kids and produce? Until that day, I think most outside of ironton fans will question. I get it, ironton fans will love it because they are winning but They can’t be making friends in the local coaching community. One mans opinion obviously.

TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

Never said I agree with or like what is happening. Dont understand your Kirtland reference because they are not surrounded by schools that are struggling like some OVC teams which benefits Ironton. As far as watching Ironton win with its own players that may or may not ever happen. Kids have always been drawn to playing in Tank stadium in front of large crowds with a shot of winning it all. You act like Burg never benefits from students moving in. You have a great school system and your athletics both girls and boys are top notch.The only difference I see is you get them sooner in life than Ironton. Woby I think you should enjoy the great things Burg have.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

I believe the middle ground would be for the ovc to adjust the conference games. Week 1,3 and 5 for example could be out of conference games and that would allow ironton to play someone tough in week 5. If you go any later in the season it would be hard to fill. Or collaborate with the SOC so the non conference dates match each other.

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

OVC shouldn't change anything. If Ironton wants to go independent go independent, but changing anything for one school doesn't make sense.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

This may have been irontons best overall year in the OVC. By going independent, you would be stripping many athletes the opportunity to compete in a league.

Footballl 1st
Volleyball 2nd
boys XC ??
Girls XC ??
Boys Soccer no team
Girls soccer no team
Boys basketball 3rd
Girls basketball T-5th
Wrestling ??
Baseball 1st
Softball 1st
Boys track 5th