No fans this fall

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Re: No fans this fall

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

High school I.M.O. will not have football, if they can not have fans.
Cost is way to high for a school.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:36 am High school I.M.O. will not have football, if they can not have fans.

Wats. Chances of schools being able to charge a fee for live-streams? Something similar to a PPV??

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

There is still a chance of no sports this fall, let alone fans. Schools up here are prepping for what kind of education will happen, not sports. The school board members I speak with are overly concerned with liability questions. They face knowing what happens when team members contract the virus. That would force other team members who were exposed to be quarantined for 14 days. Thus few or no games over a 10 week season. Likely a second wave also hits. Many coaches and refs are 50 or more and vulnerable. The President of the Ohio High School Football Coaches Assn is a neighbor. He is concerned because Boards will control if sports happen or not and health and safety trumps sports.

Fact.

Have gun, will travel
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Paladin wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:14 pm There is still a chance of no sports this fall, let alone fans. Schools up here are prepping for what kind of education will happen, not sports. The school board members I speak with are overly concerned with liability questions. They face knowing what happens when team members contract the virus. That would force other team members who were exposed to be quarantined for 14 days. Thus few or no games over a 10 week season. Likely a second wave also hits. Many coaches and refs are 50 or more and vulnerable. The President of the Ohio High School Football Coaches Assn is a neighbor. He is concerned because Boards will control if sports happen or not and health and safety trumps sports.

Fact.
Then shut this forum down because high school sports will be no more. It will never recover. There will always be a risk of someone contracting the virus whether it be football, grocery store, neighbor, etc. If we shut it down on fear, then we should have shut it down a long time ago over head injuries, heart conditions, and other reasons. Life is a risk. Either live it or don’t.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

countywide35 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:01 pm
LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:36 am High school I.M.O. will not have football, if they can not have fans.

Wats. Chances of schools being able to charge a fee for live-streams? Something similar to a PPV??
I think some schools could do this, but I do not see them making enough money to actually do it.
Football and basketball are the money makers and we know it is about the money first and foremost.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

wobycat wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:46 pm
Paladin wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:14 pm There is still a chance of no sports this fall, let alone fans. Schools up here are prepping for what kind of education will happen, not sports. The school board members I speak with are overly concerned with liability questions. They face knowing what happens when team members contract the virus. That would force other team members who were exposed to be quarantined for 14 days. Thus few or no games over a 10 week season. Likely a second wave also hits. Many coaches and refs are 50 or more and vulnerable. The President of the Ohio High School Football Coaches Assn is a neighbor. He is concerned because Boards will control if sports happen or not and health and safety trumps sports.

Fact.
Then shut this forum down because high school sports will be no more. It will never recover. There will always be a risk of someone contracting the virus whether it be football, grocery store, neighbor, etc. If we shut it down on fear, then we should have shut it down a long time ago over head injuries, heart conditions, and other reasons. Life is a risk. Either live it or don’t.
100 percent agree with Wobycat, we cannot live in fear. But we must be cautious.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

The 14 day quarantine never crossed my mind. If that is still in place and teams actually go by it then how can you play sports? How can you really have anything (businesses included). If contact tracing is still mandated then 1 kid gets it the whole team, coaching staff, any teams they played, etc is on lockdown for 14 days.

And this is 2020. 20 years ago when word of mouth or a telephone call was the only way to communicate things were different. Now with Facebook and Twitter you can believe the second a kid tests positive the whole world will know.

Prime Time
S

Post by Prime Time »

Paladin totally agree with you. From day one I’ve advocated social distancing, wearing a face mask , look out for the people close to you but have been singled out for my opinions by the sports group on hear only worried about playing games and the heck with everyone else. Gov. mike DEWine and Dr Amy Acton has done a tremendous job in this pandemic and should be applauded for keeping the number of deaths down in Ohio. Every person matters in a time of global pandemic. The lives of everyone should be included in the big picture, so playing sports will happen, then the kids contract COVID 19 and rest of their teammates and family’s are at risk, but I guess it’s sports or nothing in some eyes. look at all the cancellations this summer already and I’ve seen what schools are going to come up with to protect there students. But the games must on gone, Good Luck with that! I hope the school systems take a really hard look at what they’re getting into with this .playing games and the end result. Play Ball!

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Fact.

You are correct. Much as it hurt to say that. But you make the points as to why we don’t know this very day if there’s sports this fall or not. We are progressing there. Unless there is a second wave of this by July 1 which would ultimately put the end to any and all fall sports. Eventually These school board members , OHSAA , are going to have to make a decision;
take a chance or not take a chance. And that’s a HUGE decision to make !

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

I’ve been watching travel baseball here these last few weekends since they have been allowed to play. And. I’ve witnessed NOT ONE team practice social distance in the dugouts , around the dugouts , etc. the only thing I have witnessed is the teams using the same baseball. That’s it.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:47 pm

I think some schools could do this, but I do not see them making enough money to actually do it.
Football and basketball are the money makers and we know it is about the money first and foremost.

I would say the upcoming school levy’s will be going up.

Prime Time
S

Post by Prime Time »

Exactly!

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

countywide35 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:50 am
LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:47 pm

I would say the upcoming school levy’s will be going up.
Which will bring even more no votes. That will be followed by the schools threatening to install a pay to play charge, which means less kids playing. That will eventually lead to less sports. Greed wins again.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

What is said here is correct. It would make more sense to not have sports this year then it would to play games and go into the red financially and start a trend of pay to play, etc.

Change the high school rule for 1 season and allow kids to repeat the current grade if they so choose. Simple solution.

The problem is:
1 Politics
2 The OHSAA wants to exist. The Commissioner will do everything in his power to keep it alive fiscally.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Let me expand my statement - many think the danger is simply to old people or those with underlying health problems, young or old. Not true. At risk are also those who , of ANY age who survive the virus, but sustains severe damage to their lungs for the rest of their lives. Also at risk are those , young or old ,who are UNAWARE of an underlying health problem. Many young kids are suffering from a mysterious rash making them severely ill. And then there is the continuing risk someone ( usually young , but not always ) transmitting it to parents, grandparents, neighbor or other relatives. Since its a health problem identified as a pandemic, institutions are REQUIRED, by law, to make a strong effort to protect all lest they be sued for negligence in liability cases. Coaches, refs, etc are at risk.

Those who only care about playing a game at the expense of life or death or being maimed for life should be ashamed of themselves. That’s not the society we live in. Internet tough guys are part of societies problem , just like racists, bigots and xenophobes. He11, we have a narcissistic vindictive sociopath in the WH that’s a wannabe dictator.

Decisions are yet to be made.

Have gun, will travel
Prime Time
S

Post by Prime Time »

Well said Paladin, I think this is the most intelligent post I have read on here. I have been saying the same thing on here but not quite in a intellectual way you just did. Applaud your direct way and you hit the nail on the head. Now just sit back and watch these responses to come and you’ll see why things will go south this fall.and maybe before fall.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Lots of baseball going on right now. How are they allowed to do this under current social distancing rules? Are people signing waivers for their kids? Seems to me alot of people are assuming alot of liability

Prime Time
S

Post by Prime Time »

Are players social distancing, is the ball cleaned after each play over and why not if it is t done, are players hi five giving each other in dugouts together, taking pictures in groups, who’s responsible to monitor this activity. Is there washing of hands after each contact with anyone else. I see pictures of these ball teams and it’s like nothing ever occurred and adults is right in there with them, it’s amazing and I hope school officials notice this activity and somewhere along the line, who answers when someone comes down with it. Just questions that I think needs addressed at the current time. If school starts and teams start practicing, who’s to say in weeks prior to sanctioned school practices of where and who thekids been around and have they social distanced with there summer ball just finishing up. It’s a huge health problem. But again Paladin, just watch these responses , just shaking my head.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Paladin wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:04 pm Let me expand my statement - many think the danger is simply to old people or those with underlying health problems, young or old. Not true. At risk are also those who , of ANY age who survive the virus, but sustains severe damage to their lungs for the rest of their lives. Also at risk are those , young or old ,who are UNAWARE of an underlying health problem. Many young kids are suffering from a mysterious rash making them severely ill. And then there is the continuing risk someone ( usually young , but not always ) transmitting it to parents, grandparents, neighbor or other relatives. Since its a health problem identified as a pandemic, institutions are REQUIRED, by law, to make a strong effort to protect all lest they be sued for negligence in liability cases. Coaches, refs, etc are at risk.

Those who only care about playing a game at the expense of life or death or being maimed for life should be ashamed of themselves. That’s not the society we live in. Internet tough guys are part of societies problem , just like racists, bigots and xenophobes. He11, we have a narcissistic vindictive sociopath in the WH that’s a wannabe dictator.

Agree, Paladin. Good post.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Paladin wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:04 pm Let me expand my statement - many think the danger is simply to old people or those with underlying health problems, young or old. Not true. At risk are also those who , of ANY age who survive the virus, but sustains severe damage to their lungs for the rest of their lives. Also at risk are those , young or old ,who are UNAWARE of an underlying health problem. Many young kids are suffering from a mysterious rash making them severely ill. And then there is the continuing risk someone ( usually young , but not always ) transmitting it to parents, grandparents, neighbor or other relatives. Since its a health problem identified as a pandemic, institutions are REQUIRED, by law, to make a strong effort to protect all lest they be sued for negligence in liability cases. Coaches, refs, etc are at risk.

Good lord give me strength. Everyone loves to use these new catch phrases, bigots, phobia this, phobia that. If the Government was so worried about this disease, then our so called elected officials left and some right, including that weasel DeWine, would have strenuously tried to derail those things as people were upon people were in protest and riots. A lot more people than will be at a football game but NOT ONE of those elected officials did that, in fact they practically went the opposite way and applauded such movement. If you think football is going to be a catalyst to surfer the covid numbers more than these protests, then you’re delusional. You can pen your own opinion about how they are doing this for the greater good, blah, blah... but I will not follow such evil sinister rhetoric where the government wants more and more and more control.

Covid is here to stay. It can be life threatening but so can flu, pneumonia, hiv, cancer, Ebola, you name it, but it can also be treatable.

If high school sports are not played this fall, they will never return.

I hope intelligent people will prevail in making this happen.

Return to “Football”