Post by fox_40 »

Very well said :30!!

Ground Buck
All Conference

Re: Refs officiating games from where they are Alumni

Post by Ground Buck »

Enforcer wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:21 am seen it happen at Nelsonville alot
Just stop it. Roy isn't from Nelsonville. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

vladimir wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:55 am
greygoose wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:23 am
vladimir wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:30 am I'm not saying that a ref would intentionally have the motive to cheat kids, but we're all human and there can be bias especially when there are ties to the community from which they are from.

Do you think this is unethical? Let's get after it.
I think you started a topic because you're upset they asked you to stop posting about refs under the burg and Minford thread. You want to help the officials take the class and become certified, get yourself a crew so that you can help with the lack of officials problem.

No, that's not it. I just asked a question of do you think it's unethical or not? If you think it isn't, then fine state your reasons why. If you think it is a problem, fine, then state your reason why. This is a fair questions that's open for debate, so no need to read too much into it.

After speaking to a former HS coach for 20-yrs, and now a Ref for 15-yrs, he told me he'd never do any of his alma mater's varsity games. He said and I quote, "I know I'm human and I'd could be biased without even realizing it, and ultimately it's unethical to put yourself into that situation in the first place." He said he will only do scrimmages or games at the lower levels, b/c he doesn't ever want to be accused of being biased, so he stays away from those game.

If you ask me, he was blatantly honest.
So, your buddy doesn't want to cheat against varsity teams but thinks it's okay to cheat against JV and Jr High teams? :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

Ground Buck wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:31 pm
greygoose wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:23 am

I think you started a topic because you're upset they asked you to stop posting about refs under the burg and Minford thread. You want to help the officials take the class and become certified, get yourself a crew so that you can help with the lack of officials problem.
No, that's not it. I just asked a question of do you think it's unethical or not? If you think it isn't, then fine state your reasons why. If you think it is a problem, fine, then state your reason why. This is a fair questions that's open for debate, so no need to read too much into it.
After speaking to a former HS coach for 20-yrs, and now a Ref for 15-yrs, he told me he'd never do any of his alma mater's varsity games. He said and I quote, "I know I'm human and I'd could be biased without even realizing it, and ultimately it's unethical to put yourself into that situation in the first place." He said he will only do scrimmages or games at the lower levels, b/c he doesn't ever want to be accused of being biased, so he stays away from those game.

So, your buddy doesn't want to cheat against varsity teams but thinks it's okay to cheat against JV and Jr High teams? :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I guess that's be a good question to ask him. But Nah dude, I think it's just more helping out within the community, and teaching the kids the rules of the game at that level. People pay admission to get into varsity games, and they deserve a neutral unbiased crew for their hard earned money.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

vladimir wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:56 pm
Ground Buck wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:31 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: I guess that's be a good question to ask him. But Nah dude, I think it's just more helping out within the community, and teaching the kids the rules of the game at that level. People pay admission to get into varsity games, and they deserve a neutral unbiased crew for their hard earned money.
I got ya. It's good that he does that. It's hard to get lower level officials a lot of times.

eagle25
JV Team

Post by eagle25 »

When Pam was AD and coaching softball she had the same umpires every home game, and they both lived in and had kids going to school in the district. Pretty smart of her and almost guaranteed a chance at a league championship every year. I can't remember them losing a home league game very often. Then for football she'd hire guys from Southern and Meigs who hated Eastern. :mrgreen:

Return to “Football”