Teams that play tackle in 2nd grade

countywide35
SEOP

Re: Teams that play tackle in 2nd grade

Post by countywide35 »

Jackson does have a legit 2nd grade tackle football team. and when I say legit I don't mean skill set, I mean that every kid on the team is literally in the 2nd grade and is either 7yrs old or getting ready to turn 7yrs old. They do not practice 5x times a week. To my understanding they practice 3x a week and then a helmets only walk-through the night before a game. The level of intensity is not even comparable to those 2, 3-4yrs older than them and yes I agree after watching it 95% of the tackling is bear hugging and wrestling to the ground. It is a challenge for them to get a snap off let alone delivering a ESPN highlight type hit. I have been told they do scrimmage a lot of 3/4 grade teams but the 3/4 grade teams are from Jackson as well and is done in a very controlled type atmosphere.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Re: Teams that play tackle in 2nd grade

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

greygoose wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:42 am
Jolly P(irate) wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:25 am My kid is in second grade and playing tackle football with 3rd and 4th grade. He does just fine.

Also. Before you accuse me of misreading again, Jackson is the only school I know of that has second grade football in out area. I do have a few buddies in the Cinci area that have Kindergarteners playing tackle.
That's what I was curious about because I think at one time Vinton county had 2nd grade teams. Yeah not talking about the play up because sure there's physically kids able to do that. As a coach would you take a 2nd grade team and scrimmage only 3/4 grade teams and if it's beneficial. The kindergarten tackling teams just blows my mind still.
Yea. I agree with kindergarten tackle. They look like bobble heads running around out there. Lol.

And Jackson does scrimmage 3rd and 4th but I’d say most, as I know we did, played all of our non starters. Which consisted of 3 2nd graders and 2 4th graders with the rest being in 3rd.

The only problem I had with flag is my boy was scoring every time he touched the ball. Not gloating or whatever, I like for him to be challenged to be better. Tackle was that challenge for us. I don’t think tackle in 2nd grade is something that should be done. If your kid is above average and flag just don’t do it for you anymore, play up. If not stay in flag. But hey, I’m just one dad. My opinion only matters to me and mine.

Return to “Football”