Jackson officially applies to the TVC

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Jackson officially applies to the TVC

Post by Orange and Brown »

I would love to see Jackson and Warren get in and go to 3 divisions, but it won't happen. I still hope it does though.

If it does happen, they need to stop right their and leave it alone. Go to 3 divisions and leave it alone for 10 years.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

How many leagues did Jackson apply to?

icanpickem
All Conference

Post by icanpickem »

Titletown TVC wrote:Once again....for those of you who dont understand playoff points.....the TVC needs to maintain high numbers in it's divisions. This gaurantees large numbers of secondlevel points in the push for football playoffs. Going to 3 or 4 divisions and having only 5 schools in each will actually hurt us in playoff appearances. Take a look at the standings. The Hocking has just missed having 4 teams qualify for the postseason in each of the last 3 years....maybe farther back. Why give that up?

Unless you can find enough members to go three divisions of 7-8 teams we need to leave it alone. Otherwise, I hope Wahama votes NO.
BINGO.......(although I do think that is one of the few flaws in the harbin system, giving an advantage to teams that play 8 or 9 league games).

Hard Hat Harry
Waterboy

Post by Hard Hat Harry »

I would to see them get in but I hear there's no desire to go to three divisions.

If they don't get in they should charge the tri v schools $4 to park.

Rebelcat
All Conference

Post by Rebelcat »

Green Beagle wrote:
HSFBFAN wrote:Athens may be the only team in the Ohio division to vote yes and I doubt if they even do. Just don't see it happening.
Last time I believe it was Athens, Southern and NY voting yes. The rest NO
Fairly certain South Gallia voted yes and supports 3 divisions.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

The TVC is a playoff generating machine as it is now constructed. Why mess with that? Didn't I hear some of these same arguments when the SEOAL expanded? The ride is just a little longer, look at the prestige of the schools wanting in, the facilities are great--what could go wrong?

Hey, let's add everybody---Logan, Warren, Ripley, both Parkersburgs---the drive is only a little longer, the facilities are great, etc.....

If we go to 3 or 4 or 5 divisions---the league will suffer. Teams will leave and suddenly we will have a shell of what we have now.

Look, I'm sorry the SEOAL is gone but I don't see how that's the TVC'S fault or why it is it's responsibility to fix it.

Alexander hitman
Varsity

Post by Alexander hitman »

93dog curious about your thoughts on this ??

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

I would love to see Jackson in the TVC-OHIO and Stay with Ohio/Hocking...

Division Breakdown
DIII - 402-281
DIV - 280-213
DV - 212-156
DVI - 155-112

The OHIO would look like this- Football
Jackson - DIII
Athens - DIV or DIII
Vinton C - DIV or DIII
Meigs - DIV or DV
Alexander -DV
River Valley - DV
Wellston - DV
Nelsonville-York - DVI

Add Jackson, 8 team League...no reason to do anything else...

Looking at Boys Sports...
Jackson brings more Competition to the League in All-Sports...
TVC-OHIO is solid in Football, Boys Basketball and Baseball...
Last edited by questionmark on Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

The best way to get into a new league is to stink in athletics when you apply. I think Wellston is on a par with VC, RV, Alex, and Meigs in football over the last decade---they have played against Jackson for the last decade----How have they fared? 1 win at the most.

What's Athen's record against Jackson over the last 10 meetings?

If Jackson and NY have any history in the last decade I don't know how it turned out.

So tell me again how adding a team most of the league beats once every ten or twenty years helps us.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

questionmark wrote:I would love to see Jackson in the TVC-OHIO and Stay with Ohio/Hocking...

Division Breakdown
DIII - 402-281
DIV - 280-213
DV - 212-156
DVI - 155-112

The OHIO would look like this- Football
Jackson - DIII
Athens - DIV or DIII
Vinton C - DIV or DIII
Meigs - DIV or DV
Alexander -DV
River Valley - DV
Wellston - DV
Nelsonville-York - DV

Add Jackson, 8 team League...no reason to do anything else...

Looking at Boys Sports...
Jackson brings more Competition to the League in All-Sports...
TVC-OHIO is solid in Football, Boys Basketball and Baseball...

Nelsonville-York is D6 (not D5),why should they HAVE to play Jackson in league play.

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Fortdawg wrote: So tell me again how adding a team most of the league beats once every ten or twenty years helps us
Because this isn't JUST ABOUT FOOTBALL....

Looking at it from a Baseball Point of View...

That gives the OHIO 4 SOLID Baseball Programs, half of your League...
Athens
Alexander
Meigs
Jackson
--
Then 2 Teams who can compete...
Wellston
River Valley
--
Then 2 Teams who are not Traditionally Strong in Baseball...
Nelsonville-York (Football School)
Vinton County (Basketball School)
Fortdawg wrote:any history in the last decade I don't know how it turned out.
Being an Athens Fan, you should know that the Last Decade means Squat in High School Sports...

Jackson doesn't hurt Basketball, Volleyball, (Improves Soccer), Track, Softball...All Good Things (From Improving your League Perspective.)

Statistically adding to your League does hurt your personal teams chances of Winning a League Title by sheer numbers. But does it improve your chances of Post-Season success? That has to be one area considered.

Travel Wise, Jackson is not a burden for any of the OHIO schools...

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

O&B fixed the Above.

Second, adding Jackson could pay off HUGE for the Buckeyes in Football...also, they already Play Athens/VC (both currently DIII). No need to try to find any teams higher than DIV or DV to fill the remaining non-league spots...

If Jackson is in the OHIO, beating them pays off Big for NY.
If Jackson is in the OHIO, the NY schedule looks like this:

Jackson- DIII
Athens - DIII or DIV
Vinton C. - DIII or DIV
Meigs - DIV
Alexander - DV
Wellston -DV
River Valley - DV
-nonleague
Trimble - DVII

So if Athens/VC remain DIII, that gives NY (3 DIII, 1 DIV, 3 DV)...3 open dates to flex schedule. Trimble- DVII being one of those...
If Athens/VC drop, NY has (1 DIII, 3 DIV, 3 DV).

If Nelsonville-York is going to get over the Play-Off Hump, they are gonna have to play teams like Jackson in Football. They can WIN every game on that Above Schedule next year...

If NY doesn't want to ADD another DIII school, then THE OHIO should consider WARREN (DIV) another possiblity to take that 8th Spot...

Jackson works better for Overall Sports/Facilities/Travel...

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Why does everyone just assume that NY has to play schools over twice their size to get better.
I think with already being the smallest school in the Ohio, any expansion should include a 3rd division.........

Athens is huge compared to NY so it's easy for you guys think everyone else needs to play them.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

I'm not opposed to playing Jackson in any sport, but it shouldn't be forced on us.....

bucks_09
Freshman Team

Post by bucks_09 »

Big changes need to happen in the tvc. Since 1972 we have sent 3 teams to the state finals. 1 state champ and 2 state runner ups. Yea it's pretty cool but it's not very impressive at all. This weekend coldwater made it's 6th straight finals game and won it's 3rd title in a row, Marion local won it's 4th in a row. And minster who finished 3rd in the league 3rd won it's second title in football. That is 3 state titles in one year to one league. Bringing Jackson into the tvc would be one step in a positive direction for the tvc. It's a baby step but it needs done. Playing better teams will either make a school work harder to beat them as I think ny and Athens will, or it will make teams just dread playing them like most teams in the tvc will. Bring Jackson in, split the tvc up put Athens, Jackson, ny, in a division. Invite another good football team and let them build off each other. What's the point of making playoffs every year to lose first round. Yea Athens made it to the finals this year but unless things change it won't happen again. Boston needs to go. We need a coach from outside of Athens county. Somebody who will schedule a strong non league schedule. Not Berne union or crooksville. Get smashed by some good teams a few weeks a year, learn from it get stronger better and play with the rest of the state. I'd rather so us go to the playoffs once every 4 or 5 years and make it somewhere instead of making it almost every single year and losing first round.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

@? Leagues are set up for football and boys basketball----I have never heard anybody tell me we should add so and so because they have a killer cross country or tennis team.

If Jackson is a good fit in baseball or football---then schedule them for your non league contests. I agree with O & B, don't force them on anybody.

If 10 years doesn't work for you what does? Does anybody out there expect Athens to go to continue to have a ticket to the Regional Final? Success comes and goes with a lot of factors contributing, talent, a stable staff, backing from the community and administration, and other intangibles.

I picked a decade, an arbitrary number I admit, but one that gives you some perspective. It takes away the super class and shows the strength of the program----NY, Trimble, and Wahama have down years but quickly bounce back. It has been over shadowed by the success of this years class but Athens was undefeated and made the playoffs 4 years ago. (to be beaten by Jackson)

I think having a realistic chance to win a League title is important to kids and your program----everybody in the TVC Ohio has that chance now if they have the athletes and a program in place to get them out.

Adding a team most of your league beats once every 20 years (See Wellston) doesn't help and will have many looking for the exit. (See SEOAL)

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Jackson needs to stop charging for parking if they want in. In all honesty I really think that will play a factor. Seems silly but true. Also I'm not sure Athens wants to see them in football year in and year out. I'd like to see them but just don't see them getting 9 votes. Plus every team in the Hocking should vote yes, why do they care none of them will have to play them.

Rutterkickballer
Freshman Team

Post by Rutterkickballer »

Lets make it easy. Compare playoff appearances during the time when the two divisions only had 6 teams each. then look at playoff appearances since the Hocking expanded. Many years, Trimble was division champs and didnt even smell the playoffs. Same in the Ohio. Occasionally our champions got in. Now we get at least 3 hocking teams in every year.

Seems like simple math to me. Whatever expansion we consider, we need the number of teams in each to be at least 7 in football.

I implore the leadeship at Trimble to read this and vote a BIG RUTTER NO on any expansion!

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

If Jackson is going to be successful in an attempt to win acceptance in the TVC, I hope there is a lot of behind the scenes lobbying going on to explain the benefits to the member schools prior to an actual vote.

I have no idea how the TVC meetings take place but for the sake of argument I assume the meeting is opened and minutes from the previous gathering are discuss/accepted and the usual type of agenda. At some point I assume it is mentioned they have an application from Jackson on the table, and at that point the member representative for Jackson is invited into the room to give his/her spiel, field any questions etc., and then dismissed from the meeting. I assume at that point or sometime afterwards there is a vote to accept or not accept, and the required majority (2/3, 3/4 ??) is needed.

If Jackson goes into the meeting thinking we can "win" a vote by convincing 2/3 or 3/4 with a 10 minute plea as to why we would be a good fit it will never work, no way to convince that kind of majority. The consensus needs to be built way before that meeting, seeds need to be planted with the TVC member schools AD's and principals prior to this or we don't stand a snowball's chance in, well, you know. Hopefully our administration can campaign with some member schools that see the benefit, so after our representatives leave the meeting and a discussion ensues we have some internal "help" in swaying the members into a vote our way. What I am saying I guess is it is better for us to have member schools doing the convincing or lobbying, rather than us trying to do the swaying. It needs to come from within rather than Jackson trying to convince from "outside".

I believe one of our biggest pluses is the loyalty we have had to the SEOAL for 90+ years, when we are part of something we represent it passionately and consistently with no hesitation. The travel and gates are obvious, as are the facilities...but when we are part of something we put everything we have in it, and if the TVC invited us in it would be no different, the other schools and the league would have a staunch supporter.

There is an interesting thread running on the MAC league, and the success of Coldwater, Marion Local, Minster, Delphos St. John, etc., for what it is worth I think the addition of Jackson (and Warren and even Logan) would ultimately benefit all the schools and perhaps over time resemble the clear success that those schools have on a consistent basis. The area (and obviously TVC) has had success in the last couple years with Athens and Trimble, the question is could it be even better and even more consistent with the addition of a Jackson or a Warren or a Logan, not just in football but across the board?

Rufus
JV Team

Post by Rufus »

Maybe I'm missing something, but why don't teams just schedule non-conference games to ensure a good record would get them in the playoffs? For example: If you have three divisions in the TVC and the middle division has: Alexander, Meigs, Wellston, Nelsonville-York, Fed Hock, and River Valley. That leaves you with five non-league games to schedule. Nelsonville-York could schedule Athens, Logan, Jackson if they want, Trimble, and someone like Newark Catholic. I think an 8-2 or 7-3 season with that schedule would still get them in the playoffs more times than not.. I admit though, I'm not sure I understand how everything works..

Return to “Football”