Biggest upset you have witnessed in High School Football?

JohnKnight
Varsity

Re: Biggest upset you have witnessed in High School Football

Post by JohnKnight »

Waverly over Cape in their first ever playoff appearance 1989

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Wasn't Cape ranked #1 in the State at that time?

OST
Freshman Team

Post by OST »

Wasnt an upset but in 2005 when Valley was in the Regional Championship game against Centerburg. Half-Time it was 26-0. Start of the 2nd half Kyle Arnold picked up a fumble and returned it a good 40-50 yds. then we went into score with myers. Next at about the 50 or so. Chuck Gregory found Josh Graff on a post route to make the game 26-14. a few minutes to go David Myers breaks a long run to bring the Indians in scoring range when ryan turner punched one in. Final drive the score was 26-21 and we were just taking it down the field and on fourth down with 20seconds left for a huge gain/ First down the game saving catch was dropped. Wasnt an upset or anything but it would of been the greatest comeback/ underdog win i've witnessed. Game of inches

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

2trap_4ever wrote:
fuzzhead wrote:1996: Coal Grove 14, Ashland, Ky 7

...then if I am correct they got blasted by Ironton.
Business as usual... lol

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Burg vs. Warren JFK- DIV IV State title game.

Burg went into this game as the underdog. JFK was bigger on the offensive and defensvie line. Had a huge FB. A decent QB and fast TB.

Burg went into that game playing on a ton of emotion as they had dedicated the playoffs to Senior Eric Wallace, who sustained a brain injury in the last game of the regular season.

Burg got quickly down 7-0, then tied it up on as the announcer for the game, Gary Danielson called it a "gadget" play. I thought it was a thing of beauty. They lined up the RB, Chris Risner at TE and he went down the sideline untouched and Matt Miller hit him with the pass for a 41 yard TD. Both teams traded punts in the second half until Burg threw a middle screen pass to Pete Ruby who took it all the way down to the 3 yard line. 2 plays later the Burg scored and took a 14-7 lead. The Burg's defense then rose up and stopped JFK on a 4th and 1 as they were driving for the tying TD. They ran out the clock and secured Scioto County's only state championship in football.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I thought about posting about the Burg/JFK game, but since the Pirates were the #1 team in DIII that year and were 13-0 going into the game I don't know if many would consider it an upset. JFK was bigger, but they were ranked lower.

Go Buckeyes
Riding the Bench

Post by Go Buckeyes »

I was watching the Coldwater-Mooney state title game on tv... what a game! I am not sure, but I think two of Coldwater's scores might have come on the same trick pass play!

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

trojanbacker97 wrote:Not sure of the year(early 90's I think)

Burg was 9-0 and got blasted by the Trojans who were 3-6 coming in to the game.
It was 1993 burg was 9-0 goin into the game and lost 20-7

KVDW
SE

Post by KVDW »

demaniac1 wrote:Ptown beating Burg in 99? at Ptown. burg #1 in Ap poll and rolling and Ptown knocked down a screen pass that Burg set up BEAUTIFULLY! The DE for ptown knocked the ball down and the LB made the pick for Ptwon. I was in the enzone and if Gill would have made that pass, Burg had 3 lineman and the best back in the area to go to the endzone. Noone was even out there for Ptown to block! The same yr, burg, Ptown, and Itown played GVV in the regionals and only ironton won. Then Ironton lost in state finals on a 4th and 1. Great yr!! Great job by Ptown! They hit slants all night long and Burg had no answer. But it came down to that play for burg. Awesome! And how about this years game? Burg getting shank to the endzone? What a series!!
GVV was pounding Ironton in that game until GVVs all-state QB, Strayer, went down and Ironton came back to win it.
wheelersburg had beaten Ironton earlier that year in the Tank.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

KVDW wrote:
demaniac1 wrote:Ptown beating Burg in 99? at Ptown. burg #1 in Ap poll and rolling and Ptown knocked down a screen pass that Burg set up BEAUTIFULLY! The DE for ptown knocked the ball down and the LB made the pick for Ptwon. I was in the enzone and if Gill would have made that pass, Burg had 3 lineman and the best back in the area to go to the endzone. Noone was even out there for Ptown to block! The same yr, burg, Ptown, and Itown played GVV in the regionals and only ironton won. Then Ironton lost in state finals on a 4th and 1. Great yr!! Great job by Ptown! They hit slants all night long and Burg had no answer. But it came down to that play for burg. Awesome! And how about this years game? Burg getting shank to the endzone? What a series!!
GVV was pounding Ironton in that game until GVVs all-state QB, Strayer, went down and Ironton came back to win it.
wheelersburg had beaten Ironton earlier that year in the Tank.
I guess it's a good thing they count the points scored in all 4 quarters before determining a winner.

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

noreply66 wrote:anyone here at The Marietta game when they upset West Virginia's #1 team from Parkersburg--thinking it was the last game of the year
In 2003, the game was against Parkersburg South and they did go on to finish 14-1 and win teh AAA (Div I) state championship that year.

IronTigerMum
Varsity

Post by IronTigerMum »

I'll second the Ironton GVV game and add the beating of Youngstown Cardinal Mooney in the semis that season. We weren't supposed to be able to hang with them either.

bdubya
Varsity

Post by bdubya »

Week 6, 2006. Jackson manhandled heavily favored Chillicothe 42-15 at Alumni Stadium.

Chillicothe (4-1), with Givens (Miami, Ohio), Knights (Air Force), Beeler (??? went somewhere) and HItchens (Akron, Duquesne), had just whipped Ironton and already had wins over GAHS, Logan (non-league) and Brookhaven. They were rolling at the time.

Jackson, on the other hand, was 2-3 at the time and had lost two straight to Ironton and Portsmouth. Things did not look promising for the Ironmen.

I watched it from start to finish and still, over four years later, don't believe what I saw that night.

That win, BTW, ultimately allowed Jackson to make the playoffs at 6-4.

Ragweed87
Waterboy

Post by Ragweed87 »

2004 Symmes Valley over Newark Catholic. 16-3 I believe NC had a defensive linemen that was getting looked at by Notre Dame if I'm not mistaken.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

As to being there, Waverly 8 Portsmouth Notre Dame 0 back in 1968.
Ron Williams scored the only touchdown. The victory at Radiger Field
ended PND's 30 something game win streak and propelled the Tigers
to a 27-1-2 mark over 1967-1969

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

Still being relatively new to HS FB (10-11 seasons) I haven't seen what I'd really call an upset. The best I could say was the Burg/Ironton game when Burg won on a last second TD pass to win 23-22. I know it wasn't an unreal upset, but at that point in the game, the game seemed over.

That or when Burg hosted a game in 05'. Burg came in as a 3 seed and everyone seemed just dumbfounded that #6 Centerburg came in and shocked Burg @ home in the 1st round.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Any team that beats Logan is a huge upset, they simply dominate the High School scene.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

McKell High over PHS in 62 or 63, can not remember for sure...McKell is not even around anymore but they put it to the Trojans at Spartan.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

wipala wrote:McKell High over PHS in 62 or 63, can not remember for sure...McKell is not even around anymore but they put it to the Trojans at Spartan.
In 62 PHS was 0-10, and in 63 PHS was 3-7. Portsmouth was a much bigger school then Mckell, but I believe Mckell was very good in the 60s, so I don’t know how big of an upset it was. I know at some point Mckell made a deep run into Kentucky playoffs during the 60s. Maybe when Don Gullet was there.

Return to “Football”