Tanks Memorial Stadium

tk421
Varsity

Re: Tanks Memorial Stadium

Post by tk421 »

Don't they have a Tanks Memorial Stadium fund? I remember seeing something about that a few years ago. Anyone know anything about that or how much money if any they've pulled in?

CarmenOhio
Riding the Bench

Post by CarmenOhio »

Well, if you truly want the answers to these questions I suggest you contact those "in charge" instead of threatening to beat up those who were told to keep a gate closed or choosing to not come watch your team play because of having to stand. I, for one, have stood on a sometimes muddy hill down in Wheelersburg several times to watch a great high school match up between the Tigers and Pirates.

If you are interested here are some contacts:

AD Mark Lafon - mlafon_ic@scoca-k12.org
Principal Joe Rowe - jrowe_ic@scoca-k12.org
Superintendent Dean Nance - dnance_ic@scoca-k12.org

Or I'm sure you could ask any of our questionably intelligent and debatably motivated school board members. If you get any answers I would love to hear them, I've wondered about some of the same things.

P.S. Theses aren't secret e-mail addresses, I found them on Ironton's website. ;-)
Last edited by CarmenOhio on Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CarmenOhio
Riding the Bench

Post by CarmenOhio »

Yes, there is a Tanks Memorial Stadium Fund. Jay Zornes, one of our "esteemed" school board members is the treasurer. Here is a link:

http://www.tigertown.com/tank/tank.htm

tk421
Varsity

Post by tk421 »

Yeah, I've seen that before but I haven't heard anything since it started. You'd think that if they are truly doing a fund to upgrade the stadium, they'd have a significant amount of money collected already in almost 4 years.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

CarmenOhio wrote:Yes, there is a Tanks Memorial Stadium Fund. Jay Zornes, one of our "esteemed" school board members is the treasurer. Here is a link:

http://www.tigertown.com/tank/tank.htm

I dont think Jay has won the election yet but he is running in November for school board and he needs your vote......... ;-)

He is the president of our "esteemed" Tiger Clan.......... :mrgreen:

He is also the number one "Split the Pot" ticket salesman followed very closely by Itownhosscat........ :!:

billcox
Varsity

Post by billcox »

XandOs wrote:
SouthernStorm wrote:
tl895 wrote:dont like the tank???? then dont come back :122246

I've got a novel idea. Instead of acting like an arrogant arse, maybe you could enlighten us all as to why they felt the need to restrict folks to one half of the stadium.

I would say it is an attempt to keep the visitors and the home fans away from each other to keep down trouble. If you looked, I believe you came in a gate labeled visitors.

Just because you paid your money, it doesn't give you rights to sit where you want or go where you want. Every stadium has their own set of rules and regardless of what you think by typing, "I'll be damned if im going to pay $12 bucks for my girlfriend and I to attend the game and an additional $3 bucks to park and then be told where I can walk/stand and which restroom facilities I can use!", you are just a guest. Be it home, visiting or neutral fan, there are rules and you are not above following them. Like it or not.

BTW, the $3 dollars to park has nothing to do with the school. It is the church or OU that charged the parking, depending on where you parked. There is plenty of free on-street parking, you just may have to walk a little. If I'm "acting like an arrogant arse," don't feel bad, I'm just following your lead.

So are you telling me that the good folks of Ironton aren't civil enough to allow the Burg fans access to the home side of the great Tank Stadium without becoming unruly towards their friendly rivals?

BigDintigertown775
Freshman Team

Post by BigDintigertown775 »

Does Wheelersburg have more visitor seating? I always stand in the end zone when Ironton plays at the burg. You have to be there when the stadium opens to get a visitor seat. I like the grass at the Tank. I think field turf would take some of the historical looking aspects away from the stadium. :?

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

If your Ironton tigers are going to return to the days of glory, it is now time to develop a football facility comparable to Jackson, Portsmouth and Logan's. These outstanding fields and stadiums are state of the art facilities which will support large crowds and all the needs of the teams and fans, Ironton it is time to make a museum out of the tank!

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Since everyone is else is on the subject, how about a.) a new scoreboard and b.) move it to where everyone can see the whole scoreboard. I know where I was sitting the other night I couldn't see the yards to go or for that matter, the whole bottom of the scoreboard.. Get Coke to pony up some money and put in a new one. If they won't, then it is time they to back to Pepsi. Pepsi just bought Burg a new scoreboard a few years ago. You'll find that with Coke they will give you alot of smoke and mirrors. They'll promise you this and that and then never come through with it. How old is that scoreboard anyways? 15-20 yeras old?

Pepsiman, you need to fix that problem for them. I would bet that pepsi would love to have Ironton back in the mix. When I bought my drinks the other night they were as warm as pee. Now that might have been the concessions workers fault, but I was thinking that it was the route guy that was supposed to fill that cooler and fill it way before game time.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

moonschein wrote:If your Ironton tigers are going to return to the days of glory, it is now time to develop a football facility comparable to Jackson, Portsmouth and Logan's.

Does this mean in order to have a good team you have to have a great facility?

I understand the complaints that most have posted on here but I think the majority of these problems aren't as big of a deal without such a large crowd. I don't think there is a single facility in the area that doesn't receive some type of complaints after a large crowd attends a game.

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

I have 2 questions.

1. What was your worst loss at Tank stadium? score?
2. Who thumped BOB the worst at tank stadium? score?

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

BlindWhiteHat wrote:
moonschein wrote:If your Ironton tigers are going to return to the days of glory, it is now time to develop a football facility comparable to Jackson, Portsmouth and Logan's.

I understand the complaints that most have posted on here but I think the majority of these problems aren't as big of a deal without such a large crowd. I don't think there is a single facility in the area that doesn't receive some type of complaints after a large crowd attends a game.

very true, I agree some updates need to be made. More bleachers on the visitors side is only a problem when we play a couple schools and Wheelersburg is one of them. As far as the home side it's an Historical Landmark and you can only do so much at a time. I think a Concession stand and bathrooms would be a great addition where the swimming pool used to be. A score board in the end zone on the new school end would be great also.

This all takes Money, anyone that would like to make donations can send a check to:

donations are Tax Deductable

Please make all checks payable to:

Tanks Memorial Stadium Fund
807 South Third Street
Ironton, OH 45638

fightingtigers45
S

Post by fightingtigers45 »

grizzlynatural wrote:I have 2 questions.

Took a 59-0 loss a few years back to Olentangy Liberty. Not sure if thats it.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

fightingtigers45 wrote:
grizzlynatural wrote:I have 2 questions.

Took a 59-0 loss a few years back to Olentangy Liberty. Not sure if thats it.

That's it from what I could find, in 2007. That was Coach Lutz first year back and the Tigers went 5-5 on the season while Olentangy Liberty made the D2 Playoffs. We had 4 starters transfer out before they new Coach Lutz was coming back, which really hurt the team that year.

West_Sider
Freshman Team

Post by West_Sider »

BlindWhiteHat wrote:

I saw you at the game Friday and meant to stop by and say hey, I got into a conversation with some ND coaches and looked up and you and your brother were gone. Anyway, hope all things are well with you and your family.

71tigeralum
Waterboy

Post by 71tigeralum »

The Tank could use 2 things:

1) Field Turf: better for injuries, performance and late season playoffs attractiveness to OHSAA ($$$)
2) A sign memorializing the Tank as the original site of the "Traditional Thanksgiving Day Game" began by the Tanks in 1922, and carried by Glen Presnel and others to both the Portsmouth Spartans and then to the Detroit Lions. We keep forgetting that the Lions are the grandson of the Tanks!!

tk421
Varsity

Post by tk421 »

If only Ironton had someone like the Clark family in Portsmouth who would donate $10 Million to upgrade the stadium. I don't ever see that happening though.

TrojanBuff
JV Team

Post by TrojanBuff »

CarmenOhio
Riding the Bench

Post by CarmenOhio »

I don't get it...... :122248

West_Sider
Freshman Team

Post by West_Sider »

I do. A play on the Martings building/shady deal that caught state-wide attention. Pretty clever.

Return to “Football”