Most memorable game?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Most memorable game?

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

however-the flip side of that my biggest game that didn't go our way was the state game in 99. where we lost a battle with the Sandusky perkins pirates after we beat mooney.the state games with akron saint Vincent st. Mary's were always wars.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

2006 I believe (the last year we were D1 in football), we lost the first 2 games of the season to Lancaster and Chillicothe, then went on a big winning streak, 7 in a row before we rolled into a muddy stadium in Ironton. It rained that whole game and the field was a mess. You couldn't even tell who was who out on the field. That game ended up 7-0, we won over Ironton, I remember it was on a screen play that went for 60 yards or something like that. That game vaulted us into the D1 playoffs. Although, we did lose to Hilliard Davidson 38-8 in the 1st Rd (they won the state title that year).

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Chieftain2009 wrote:2006 I believe (the last year we were D1 in football), we lost the first 2 games of the season to Lancaster and Chillicothe, then went on a big winning streak, 7 in a row before we rolled into a muddy stadium in Ironton. It rained that whole game and the field was a mess. You couldn't even tell who was who out on the field. That game ended up 7-0, we won over Ironton, I remember it was on a screen play that went for 60 yards or something like that. That game vaulted us into the D1 playoffs. Although, we did lose to Hilliard Davidson 38-8 in the 1st Rd (they won the state title that year).
I remember watching some YouTube clips of that game! What a muddy mess!

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Chieftain2009 wrote:2006 I believe (the last year we were D1 in football), we lost the first 2 games of the season to Lancaster and Chillicothe, then went on a big winning streak, 7 in a row before we rolled into a muddy stadium in Ironton. It rained that whole game and the field was a mess. You couldn't even tell who was who out on the field. That game ended up 7-0, we won over Ironton, I remember it was on a screen play that went for 60 yards or something like that. That game vaulted us into the D1 playoffs. Although, we did lose to Hilliard Davidson 38-8 in the 1st Rd (they won the state title that year).

I was there. my kids were on the ironton team, one dadgum screen play that went the distance that was an awesome game.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

My first ever state final game I saw live was Mooney-Coldwater. Still can't believe Coldwater won that game! Mooney was so dominate early, but Coldwater took advantage of every opportunity and then started just exploiting every mooney weakness. Was some incredible coaching and play calling in that game for Coldwater!

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

Any year which Logan beats Athens!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

ironton blasted Lancaster when they were 2/3 in the state in d1 years ago. we just thrashed them.it was Lancaster's homecoming. it was awesome.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

on the coaches show on the way up the Lancaster coach was on the radio and called us river rats. and that we beat up on nobodies here on the ohio river. he may still be choking on crow feathers.ironton was d4/5 at the time. I think at the bottom of 4.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Somewhere around 2003 or 2004, Portsmouth @ Burg. Portsmouth controlled the Burg offense the entire game and led 7-3 late in the game. Portsmouth ball around the Burg 10 and for some reason Portsmouth calls a pass play that was intercepted and ran 90+ yards for a TD. Burg's other 3 pts came after a Portsmouth fumble around their own 15 yard line which resulted in a FG. Aside from the 2 Portsmouth turnovers, Burg had no success moving the ball the whole game, yet came out on top.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

crazy how those things can happen ain't it.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

One of my most memorable games was when NY beat Trimble 7-6 the first year Nathan Dean took over as qb (sophomore). It was a slugfest all game. NY drove down the field and scored with only a handful of seconds left to tie it. Our kicker was hurt and Dean told coach Boston that he could make the kick, and he did!
For most of the game, the NY offense was out of sync having a new qb and some youngsters playing but the defense played lights out all game.

It's hard to win a game at the Tomcat Dome, so thatade it extra special.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:ironton blasted Lancaster when they were 2/3 in the state in d1 years ago. we just thrashed them.it was Lancaster's homecoming. it was awesome.
I can remember catching this score on the 11:20 sports. It was a complete shock with goose pumps.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

i'll tell you one of my favorite games I ever seen. it was right after ironton/asvsm state title game. it was the ohio big school state championship. it was massillon Washington/Cincinnati moeller. you talk about a crowd there in the shoe for a high school game. that was some game to see. the kids started coming out of the locker rooms and they kept coming and coming forever. I remember moeller had a shorter kid that was kicking 45/50 yard field goals in pre-game just one after another soccer style.when that was first getting popular.massillon had a tiger in a cage for a mascot.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

noreply66 wrote:
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:ironton blasted Lancaster when they were 2/3 in the state in d1 years ago. we just thrashed them.it was Lancaster's homecoming. it was awesome.
I can remember catching this score on the 11:20 sports. It was a complete shock with goose pumps.
what was funny noreply was at halftime there at Lancaster. the restrooms were all on the gayles sidelines. they were having homecoming ceremonies floats, bands, the whole 9 yards. everybody was about to bust to pee. these Lancaster fans were in the bathroom at halftime saying where in the h---, is ironton anyhow. they must be pretty big. it was just one of those games you never will forget. as much as ironton has backsliden the last 6/7 years. there is no denying , they were giant slayers in the day. and wherever they played there was just an invasion of orange and black. I've been in the stands before. and it just looked like a sea of orange and black coming toward you.it was like last person out of ironton turn the lights out. and you talk about loud. capes coach told me after a game one time. we've played everywhere, and no place is more intimidating and special to play in than right here. talking about ironton's tanks memorial stadium.folks would be in line hours before these state games and playoff games.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

the final was 41-14 ironton.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Can you remember the population of Ironton then?

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

probably around 14,000----------- then plants started closing and things and there has just been a steady decline downwards population wise there.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

but keep in mind ironton was basically a retirement town at the time. and the schools reflected that. there weren't big numbers at all in the schools.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

ironton was either a place that you lived in all your life. or a place where everyone moved to after retirement to come back home.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I tried to look back at joeeitel, and see who Lancaster played that year, but it was late 80's and it doesn't go back that far. but at the time it was late in the season and they were in the top 3 in d1 I think.if memory serves me correct.

Return to “Football”