Warren Local head football coach

rockcoach
Freshman Team

Re: Warren Local head football coach

Post by rockcoach »

Bolen has plans to head to Florida in a year. His son graduates from college in a year. I was told his son will be getting a GA position in a college in Florida. Jon still owns property in Florida and has always wanted to head back there. Kevin Welsh does still teach at Warren.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

edforshey wrote:or Kevin Welch.
Both been there before and know the ins and outs of Warren.
I think Welch still teaches there.
Do you know his record as a head coach? Is he the guy who has been at Frontier, Eastern, maybe Shenandoah, and a previous stint at Warren?

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Outside the box there are some former coaches around the area especially at N-Y.

rockcoach
Freshman Team

Post by rockcoach »

Welsh is still at Warren.
Last edited by rockcoach on Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

KC Java
Freshman Team

Post by KC Java »

rockcoach wrote:Welsh would be a good hire for Warren. He coached Frontier in his late twenties and they were a bad program. He has grown tremendously as a coach since then. Eastern was bad when he took over that program and made them very competitive with over 40 kids on the team. Played a lot of Freshmen and Sophomores. He resigned amid conflict with their AD. Warren was going the wrong way when he took over there. Tough schedule. He knows the climate of the school and community as well as knowing the students and players. I believe he has taught at Warren over 20 years now. He was Pifers offensive coordinator when they went 7-3 in 2009. Warren could and has done much worse! He would change the program if given the shot. I'm not sure if he is even interested in the job and I've coached with him before. Good luck to Warren. IMO
Kevin isn't the only one who couldn't get along with the Paminator......

rockcoach
Freshman Team

Post by rockcoach »

KC Java
From what I understand at least 8 coaches lasted only one or two years because of conflicts with the AD.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

rockcoach wrote:Welsh would be a good hire for Warren. He coached Frontier in his late twenties and they were a bad program. He has grown tremendously as a coach since then. Eastern was bad when he took over that program and made them very competitive with over 40 kids on the team. Played a lot of Freshmen and Sophomores. He resigned amid conflict with their AD. Warren was going the wrong way when he took over there. Tough schedule. He knows the climate of the school and community as well as knowing the students and players. I believe he has taught at Warren over 20 years now. He was Pifers offensive coordinator when they went 7-3 in 2009. Warren could and has done much worse! He would change the program if given the shot. I'm not sure if he is even interested in the job and I've coached with him before. Good luck to Warren. IMO
I don't want to pick on anyone, I just see the name pop up on here from time to time. But the thing about what you say here is that at one stop the program just wasn't very good. At another stop there was conflict with the AD (& that program wasn't great, but got better quickly). At Warren he didn't get a chance (but didn't win either). Warren is a mess. Historically bad program right now. To me, losing a lot of games at a bunch of different bad programs doesn't do anything to make me think that he is a guy who can turn it around. You can maybe get past one problem stop, but I don't know of any head coaching successes other than the standard "they were going in the right direction," which is always debatable.

Also, someone mentioned Bolen. Didn't he bolt after a year the last time? Reading some old articles, apparently Warren picked him over a guy who immediately led Oak Hill to an 11-1 season. They commented on how he looked great on paper but they missed on an unproven guy. Then they hired Schob with a 5-15 record out of 41 candidates while saying, two years isn't enough to judge someone. Then they went with an unproven guy and gave him two years. If not for the fact that so many kids are losing opportunities to succeed, it'd be a hilarious string of decisions.

MeyerSpread
JV Team

Post by MeyerSpread »

The coach who lead Oak Hill to 11-1 has been to 2 different schools since Oak Hill so I am not sure would have been the answer either. He is currently Wellston's Head Coach.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

MeyerSpread wrote:The coach who lead Oak Hill to 11-1 has been to 2 different schools since Oak Hill so I am not sure would have been the answer either. He is currently Wellston's Head Coach.
Interesting, thanks for the info. Any idea why the moves or how he has done overall (besides the one good season they pointed out)?

MeyerSpread
JV Team

Post by MeyerSpread »

I think his success at Oak Hill got him a good job up north and he didn't do as well up there so he moved back to Jackson County when the Wellston job came open.

I guess you could say he took a swing at the fences and missed... Or he missed home?

Before Oak Hill I believe he bounced around as an assistant (not sure all the places he coached) but I do know he was Def. Cord. at Jackson during a few playoff runs before going to Oak Hill.

His records are Oak Hill were 2006 (3-7) 2007 (5-5) 2008 (7-3) 2009 (11-1) 2010 (11-2) and the year after he left they went 2-8.

I'll try to find out where he went after Oak Hill but last year he was (4-6) at Wellston.

MeyerSpread
JV Team

Post by MeyerSpread »

"Other schools Phillips coached at include Columbus Bishop Ready, Warren Harding, Hilliard Davidson, Lancaster, Circleville and Jackson, before getting his first head coaching job at Oak Hill in 2006."

"After the 2010-11 school year, Phillips made the move to northwest Ohio to become the head coach at St. Mary's Memorial High School, where he spent three seasons"

from this article when he got hired at Wellston

http://thetelegramnews.com/main.asp?Sec ... leID=22486

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Thanks again. Quite interesting to me.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

I know this isn't very likely, but would Tim Bahen (formerly of Fairfield Union) be interested in Warren?

rockcoach
Freshman Team

Post by rockcoach »

Warren has no teaching openings or anticipated openings. They typically do not create positions for a coaching candidate. First round of interviews complete. Second round of the 5 interviewed to be done sometime in the near future. Look for a new hire to probably be no sooner than the March board meeting.
Last edited by rockcoach on Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Teddy44
Waterboy

Post by Teddy44 »

Any idea who the 5 interviewed were?

Teddy44
Waterboy

Post by Teddy44 »

Any update?

rockcoach
Freshman Team

Post by rockcoach »

No school all week, nothing happening. My info is that no 2nd interviews have been scheduled yet.
Last edited by rockcoach on Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

rockcoach wrote:No school all week, nothing happening. My info is that no 2nd interviews have been scheduled yet. Seriously though. Don't be in a hurry for a decision. Warren is notorious for taking their time with most new hires, especially football. Look for new hire at the BOE meeting the third Monday of March at the earliest, but I'd guess April. The program is already 2 months behind all others and will be at least 3. Off-season work will only be 4 months long, a lot of work for whomever they hire, and whoever is the new staff. Only five interviewed, seems like they could have made a decision with only one round of interviews. Don't know what would be different in a second interview. Been there and done that, so I am definitely not sure of the reason. IMO
Did they create that community committee or whatever to provide input on the decision?

edforshey
Varsity

Post by edforshey »

Who were the 5?

rockcoach
Freshman Team

Post by rockcoach »

The athletic advisory committee is not there to suggest who gets hired as coaches.
Last edited by rockcoach on Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Football”