OVC 2009

Who Wins?

Total votes: 0

sandman
Freshman Team

Re: OVC '09

Post by sandman »

Unfortunately the SW attendance area unwittingly became a pawn in the attempt to get new buildings. During the 92-93 physical consolidation, it became apparent that bussing was too lengthy and time consuming for those living in the Southern end of the county. The district relinquished the southernmost area, including Crown City to the Fairland District in an attempt to ease the problem. The SW and NG buildings had been sold but the HT building was still owned by the district. The local communities in that area campaigned to reopen the school as a Southern Campus of the district to relieve the transportation problems. I believe that the bus rides were 1 hour plus to RV and from a safety and practicality standpoint, it needed to be done.

The SW area is very broad and the population is spread out but the votes were necessary to sucessfully pass any bond levies. They would have been the swing vote in the election. They were rightfully concerned about their future and asked for clarification regading their status in the newly designed system. It has always been the policy of the district that upon completion of the elementary level that they could choose between RV and SG. The paper recently reported that the minutes indicate that they would retain the choice once the new buildings were completed.

At one time during the process the Board indicated that RT 35 would be the dividing line between RV and SG but that split parts of NG and KC away from RV and those districts would not stand still for the decision. People active in the new school campaign helped to squelch that effort.

Recently, the paper again reported that it appeared that the new RV facility would not be large enough to house the SW students and that the district was leaning towards requiring SW students to attend SG. I am certain that the expenses related to dual bussing that would result from a choice plays a role as well. Without the SW students, the size of the student body at SG presents problems, paticularly in sports, given the remote location of the school. The short answer is this: Until now, SW has never officially been part of SG. The choice has been theirs to make. Good or bad, if they were promised the choice in return for their votes and tax dollars then the system needs to make it happen. JMO

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

it is my understanding that sw area parents have been told their children must attend sg through the 8th grade now and then then they can choose to move them to rvhs for grades 9-12.... if this is truth then arent they indeed considered to be part of the sg attendance area?

as for the rvhs building not being large enough to house the sw area students, that is a poor excuse..... POOR PLANNING..... the powers that be were told during the planning stages that several sw students who were attending sg at the time would have siblings attend rv after completion of the new buildings. maybe they should consider moving in portables to handle the overflow.... SAD

i recently had a sw area parent tell me that 20 of 38 8th graders would be going to rv for high school.... obviously that is more than half.

would the POWERS THAT BE.... and i know that doesnt include all the decision makers.... want their child traveling on a bus or driving 10-15 minutes on state and us highway or 20-45 minutes on state county road? and if their answer is to take the route of driving 141, 7 and 218 you can add another 10 minutes or so to that drive. many of those students could probably travel 10-12 minutes to oak hill or gallia academy.
if that were to happen i wonder what students that would be..... those involved in extracurriculars or the students not active in the school??? i also wonder what effect this would have on test scores in the district??????

just some thoughts to ponder

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

I work with a pair of SW-area parents over hear at Buckeye Hills, and there are certain names that -- when spoken -- really get them upset.

Neither one of them want their kids driving over "the Hill" (Hannan Trace Rd.) to get to school every day, especially when their homes are about 10 minutes away from the new Gallia Academy in Centenary.
Last edited by madpolecat on Wed May 06, 2009 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

KarlAgathon wrote:I work with a pair of SW-area parents over hear at Buckeye Hills, and they are certain names that -- when spoken -- really get them upset.

Neither one of them want their kids driving over "the Hill" (Hannan Trace Rd.) to get to school every day, especially when their homes are about 10 minutes away from the new Gallia Academy in Centenary.

exactly what i hearing

sandman
Freshman Team

Post by sandman »

Assassin

Although I am not one of the "powers that be", you are preaching to the choir when it comes to my position. When all else fails, our word has to be true. If they were promised, in open session, then it needs to be honored.

Operations of these new buildings will be very expensive and the need to justify the costs will be great, making it even more difficult to live up to their commitment. Believe it or not the cost of cooling and similar technologies alone will break the bank when they have not been experienced in the past. It will be a costly, up-hill battle and I wish everybody involved luck in finding an agreeable solution.

The district needs to keep in mind that if students leave the district, their state funding goes with them. Some districts used to miss collecting but I bet it doesn't happen anymore. It is very fertile ground because the systems get the students without the expense of transportation. The adjoining systems have long enjoyed GCLS as an incubator for scholars, arts students and athletes. I am sure they are licking their chops over this problem.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

The adjoining systems have long enjoyed GCLS as an incubator for scholars, arts students and athletes. I am sure they are licking their chops over this problem.

Very true, Sandman... very true.

This is an anecdotal thing, but it has been suggested that the ACT scores in GCLSD have gone down since the consolidation because many high-quality students were moved out of the district.

groveyard08
Riding the Bench

Post by groveyard08 »

all this stuff it getting boring..... :roll:

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

all this stuff it getting boring..... :roll:

I forgot... nobody cares about academics in that part of Lawrence County... :lol: :lol: :lol:

sandman
Freshman Team

Post by sandman »

You're right groveyard, enough said. Its like a bad soap opera!

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

grover.... good thing bout this forum is that you have the choice to read what you want. if it bores you..... dont read............... what an a$$

groveyard08
Riding the Bench

Post by groveyard08 »

theassassin wrote:grover.... good thing bout this forum is that you have the choice to read what you want. if it bores you..... dont read............... what an a$$

or how about u can go post all this in another post but title it as "ovc river valley"
i hope u get some views and comments on it and people actually read it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

obviously youre reading it on this thread.... :122246

popcorn phil
Freshman Team

Post by popcorn phil »

Not a good idea to mouth off to an ASSASSIN! Im not a great speller, are there two ASSES in ASSASSIN?? :lol:

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

glad you could add your $.02 phil... :aaaaa115

popcorn phil
Freshman Team

Post by popcorn phil »

I've got a whole piggy bank to unload on you if you would like!! :twisted: :122246 :122246

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Just a quick comment on this. Is Gallia Academy worried about picking up too many students from the Southwestern area and ending up with a new building that is already overcrowded because the state would not let them build it big enough to take the students from the SW area.

Yes there have been many parents in the SW area talking about how much closer the new Gallia Academy is to their homes and better travel.

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

ima gonna turn those rutters loose on your philthy a$$ too

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

mtswngrvsg wrote:Just a quick comment on this. Is Gallia Academy worried about picking up too many students from the Southwestern area and ending up with a new building that is already overcrowded because the state would not let them build it big enough to take the students from the SW area.

Yes there have been many parents in the SW area talking about how much closer the new Gallia Academy is to their homes and better travel.

you can bet your a$$ ga will have room for the national honor society and athletes. as for others.... probly not

popcorn phil
Freshman Team

Post by popcorn phil »

Assassin, you better be nice. I know your mother and she wouldn't approve of you being on this site! :lol: I know how you always like to keep Mommy happy! :122246

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

A$$^^^^

Return to “Football”