Ironton leaving the SEOAL

osu 77
All State

Re: Ironton leaving the SEOAL

Post by osu 77 »

I have a suggestion sale the slid that the football team never uses. All the slid is doing is taking up space and if the football team is not going to use it then sale it. I am not trying to start any trouble but if the athletic program is hurting for money they should be looking at different ideas to raise money.

Mouth's Better Half
Varsity

Post by Mouth's Better Half »

What slid?

sorry I couldn't resist.

gymratt
Freshman Team

Post by gymratt »

BuckeyeCAV wrote:
grizzlynatural wrote:Its going to be nice when that happens.

I agree...I think Logan is ready for the spotlight and the OCC or something in that arena. I believe they could go a long way in that Conference.

As for the SEOAL....if something like Logan leaving to, would take place in the near future, I think

Chillicothe
Jackson
Portsmouth
Gallipolis
Warren
Marietta

Just might be enough to keep the league together. Even with the drive to Warren and Marietta. We'll have to wait and see. There would be more opportunties for all teams to win a title that's for sure. The only difficult part would be trying to get 5 non-league games year in and year out. But I know it could be done.

I Know for a fact that the OCC will NOT except any new schools outside of the already established districts. There are over 30 teams already and many of the districts have split and will continue to split. Without adding any new districts, they will probably have over 40 high schools within 10 years or so.

If for somw reason the OCC changed their policy and let Logan in...This is only my opinion but, IMO, Logan's program would start to slide if they moved to the OCC I know that they are the best program by far in the SEOAL but I was a starter on Chilli's last OCC team AND on Chilli's first SEOAL team and it is a different level. There were SEOAL games in which we didn't show up and still won easily. In the OCC you can play a great game and lose. Logan would fare better than Chilli did but only slightly. A 500 league record would be about the average and a title would be hard to come by. Don't blast me, it's only my opinion and I have all the respect in the world for the Logan Program.

Riverrat Tiger
Freshman Team

Post by Riverrat Tiger »

Yea, I remember selling them(I graduated in '83). Anyone that played any sport at IHS sold those tickets, and yes, they were easy to sell. As someone who has taken teams to state tournaments in baseball, you'd be surprised how much money the kids can make in 5 hours on a Saturday in town. Heck, I had one young man that did 20 push-ups for $20.00 once.

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

gymratt wrote:
BuckeyeCAV wrote:
grizzlynatural wrote:Its going to be nice when that happens.

I agree...I think Logan is ready for the spotlight and the OCC or something in that arena. I believe they could go a long way in that Conference.

As for the SEOAL....if something like Logan leaving to, would take place in the near future, I think

Chillicothe
Jackson
Portsmouth
Gallipolis
Warren
Marietta

Just might be enough to keep the league together. Even with the drive to Warren and Marietta. We'll have to wait and see. There would be more opportunties for all teams to win a title that's for sure. The only difficult part would be trying to get 5 non-league games year in and year out. But I know it could be done.

I Know for a fact that the OCC will NOT except any new schools outside of the already established districts. There are over 30 teams already and many of the districts have split and will continue to split. Without adding any new districts, they will probably have over 40 high schools within 10 years or so.

If for somw reason the OCC changed their policy and let Logan in...This is only my opinion but, IMO, Logan's program would start to slide if they moved to the OCC I know that they are the best program by far in the SEOAL but I was a starter on Chilli's last OCC team AND on Chilli's first SEOAL team and it is a different level. There were SEOAL games in which we didn't show up and still won easily. In the OCC you can play a great game and lose. Logan would fare better than Chilli did but only slightly. A 500 league record would be about the average and a title would be hard to come by. Don't blast me, it's only my opinion and I have all the respect in the world for the Logan Program.

It would really depend on which OCC conference we were in.
If we were in the Ohio Capital Conference, then i think we'd be fighting for the title every year.
Cardinal, most years we'd be 2nd to PC.
Central- i think we'd be the top dogs in that one.
Ohio- We'd hover around 2nd or 3rd.
Buckeye- Yeah, this is the one we'd be lucky to get 3rd in every year. With the only D1 state champions from Columbus in the same conference, some very very stout programs. Then you throw in that GC is most years an alright team, Coffman has an awesome team year in and out, we'd be fighting for our lives but hey, those are D1 teams at the top of region 3 every year. Were D2. It wouldnt get us points to get us in the playoffs so it would be stupid for us to even wanna be in that one. Other than that, i think we fair well in all the others in football. So aside from one part of the OCC we'd fit in well. In football that is... As for the rest of the sports, not so much.

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

I think Logan would be in the run for the Capital Division almost every year in Football.

As for the Central Division I would have to disagree, I think Logan would struggle really bad. Especially with Upper Arlington now in that division. :-D

There is no longer a Buckeye Division after last season. The OCC went to an 8 team format with a 4 division OCC beginning with this years 2008-2009 season.

As for Logan possibly being in the Cardinal Division, they may have a lot of success from time to time in that division too.

As for Logan being in the Ohio Division they would be in 3rd or 4th place most years with Lancaster, Pickerington Central, Newark and Groveport playing for the Division Crown. Even though this year they most likely would of been playing Pickerington Central for the Division Title.

Here is the realignment for 2008-09, as approved by the OCC:

OCC

Ohio Division
Gahanna-Lincoln Lions
Grove City Greyhounds
Groveport-Madison Cruisers
Lancaster Golden Gales
Newark Wildcats
Pickerington Central Tigers
Pickerington North Panthers
Reynoldsburg Raiders

Central Division
Grove City Central Crossing Comets
Dublin Coffman Shamrocks
Hilliard Darby Panthers
Hilliard Davidson Wildcats
Columbus Upper Arlington Golden Bears
Thomas Worthington Cardinals
Galloway Westland Cougars
Columbus Worthington Kilbourne Wolves

Cardinal Division
Dublin Jerome Celtics
Dublin Scioto Irish
Marysville Monarchs
Lewis Center Olentangy Braves
Powell Olentangy Liberty Patriots
Westerville Central Warhawks
Westerville North Warriors
Westerville South Wildcats

Capital Division
Sunbury Big Walnut Golden Eagles
Delaware-Hayes Pacers
Columbus Franklin Heights Golden Falcons
Mount Vernon Yellow Jackets
New Albany Eagles
Lewis Center Olentangy Orange Pioneers
Pataskala Watkins Memorial Warriors
Hilliard Bradley Jaguars join in 2009

Former OCC members

1. Grove City Pleasant View Panthers. School became Junior High only. District built new school, Galloway Westland Cougars, to replace it.

2. Whitehall-Yearling Rams. Now competing in the Mid-State League-Ohio Division.

3. Chillicothe Cavaliers. Now competing in the Southeastern Ohio Athletic League.
Last edited by BuckeyeCAV on Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:15 am, edited 5 times in total.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Is Portsmouth next?

tigermama
Varsity

Post by tigermama »

Guys, I graduated in 1980 and a lot of things were easier to sell then. Try and sell them today and you would be surprised how you can't get anyone to buy them for a dollar. I donate the money myself so my son doesn't have to do grass drills until they are sold. Do you think the boys should be punished if they don't sell them? I also donate the money for four spring sports passes he has to sell if he participates in spring sports. Again, no one but family members seem to want them. I don't care to give the money but the kids do help with costs a little. What about the papers they brought home to bowl to raise money to help with scholarships for the Tiger clan? These kids raise what funds they can but has anyone really took a good look at Ironton over the years? There are no large businessess, the population is mostly elderly and they sure don't have extra to give to sports programs. I love Ironton and always will, it is where I spent my childhood and I hate to have seen it's decline. As far as Ironton sports, they will always be number one to me regardless of where I am at and I will always support them but then again I am able to, not everyone is.

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

mtswngrvsg wrote:Is Portsmouth next?

mtswngrvsg,

I would think Marietta or Warren or both would leave the SEOAL before Portsmouth does. That is, unless you know something the rest of us don't know. Do you?

Portsmouth from our understanding, does not walk lock step with Ironton on every move. Speaking of, leaving because Ironton is leaving the SEOAL. If Portsmouth would depart, I would imagine the SEOAL would be right back on the glide path they were on before the expansion in 2006 minus Athens.

Chillicothe might just follow Portsmouth, then if that would take place, I would assume the CAVS would first attempt to join the SCOL before attempting to go independent just like Zanesville and Ironton will be doing. And, if Portsmouth leaves, most likely they will be reverting back to Independent status to. I would really hate to see Chillicothe have to go independent, but I wouldn't want them in a league that has an uncertain ability hanging over it either. Especially with everybody questioning who is next to leave and will the SEOAL survive past such and such date.

For Football we would end up having to play all over the State. But if that is what happens in the future so be it.

For Fall Sports....Volleyball, Girls Tennis and Soccer

Winter Sports.....Basketball, Wrestling and Swimming

Spring Sports....Baseball, Softball and Boys Tennis

The schedules would most likely be a bear for the CAVS AD but not as bad as football would for Chillicothe. For all those other sports listed above, outside football, our CAVS would have the SVC, SCOL, TVC-Ohio, SOC II, SHL, MSL-Buckeye, OVC, Kentucky and West Virginia teams to fall back on. Especially, when scheduling teams in Southeastern Ohio, instead of always having to go back to Columbus. So those sports wouldn't be that bad for the CAVS AD to set up. We already play against those Leagues and Conferences in other sports anyway.

And, if push comes to shove, we would always have the old standby leagues, i.e., OCC, CCL-Columbus City League and the CCL-Central Catholic League to follow up on to schedule for other sports.

I would hope, if Portsmouth did leave and we followed them as an independent, our CAVS AD would try to schedule the first 6 or 7 football games with local schools, that is, if possible like schools real close to Chillicothe. Then follow up with the three newest Independents if that scenerio happened, keeping the old rival Portsmouth always on the schedule.

Cavalier Football as an Independent

1. Columbus South (CCL-Columbus City League) D3
2. Circleville (MSL-Buckeye) D3
3. Columbus West (CCL-Columbus City League) D3
4. Jackson (SEOAL) D2
5. Hillsboro (SCOL) D3
6. Waverly (SOC II) D4
7. Greenfield McClain (SCOL) D3
8. McArthur Vinton County (TVC-Ohio) D3
9. Zanesville (Independent) D2
10. Portsmouth (Independent)....rival game D4

Cavalier Soccer as an Independent

1. Circleville (MSL-Buckeye)
2. Waverly (SOC II)
3. Logan Elm (MSL-Buckeye)
4. Hillsboro (SCOL)
5. Greenfield MClain (SCOL)
6. Washington C.H. (SCOL)
7. Waverly (SOC II)
8. Circleville (MSL-Buckeye)
9. Zane Trace (Independent)
10. Portsmouth West (SOC II)
11. Chillicothe Unioto (Independent)
12. Piketon (Independent)
13. Athens (Independent)
14. Alexander (Independent)
15. Chillicothe Unioto (Independent)
16. Jackson (SEOAL)

Cavalier Basketball as an Independent

1. Circleville (MSL-Buckeye) D2
2. South Zanesville Maysville (MVL) D2
3. Logan Elm (MSL-Buckeye) D2
4. Hillsboro (SCOL) D2
5. Greenfield MClain (SCOL) D32
6. South Point OVC D3
7. Waverly (SOC II) D3
8. Newark (OCC-Ohio) D1
9. Zanesville (Independent) D1
10. Columbus West (CCL-Columbus City League) D2
11. Portsmouth (Independent)....rival game D3
12. Columbus South (CCL-Columbus City League) D2
13. Whitehall-Yearling (MSL-Ohio) D2
14. McArthur Vinton County (TVC-Ohio) D2
15. Chillicothe Unioto (SVC) D2
16. Jackson (SEOAL) D2
17. Lancaster (OCC-Ohio) D1
18. Columbus St. Charles Prep (CCL-Columbus Catholic League) D2
19. Columbus East (CCL-Columbus City League) D2
20. Portsmouth (Independent)....rival game D3

Cavalier Baseball as an Independent

1. Circleville (MSL-Buckeye)
2. Teays Valley(MSL-Buckeye)
3. Logan Elm (MSL-Buckeye)
4. Hillsboro (SCOL) D3
5. Greenfield MClain (SCOL)
6. Washington C.H. (SCOL) D3
7. Waverly (SOC II)
8. Zane Trace (SVC)
9. Vinton County (TVC-Ohio)
10. Portsmouth (Independent)....rival game
11. Chillicothe Unioto (SVC)
12. Amanda Clearcreek (MSL-Buckeye)
13. Piketon (SVC)
14. Portsmouth (Independent)....rival game D4
15. Greenfield MClain (SCOL)
16. Hillsboro (SCOL) D3
17. Jackson (SEOAL)
18. Wellston (TVC-Ohio)
19. Washington C.H. (SCOL) D3
20. Athens (TVC-Ohio)

Time will tell, it could be done. I kind of like that type of format. SCOL, MSL-Buckeye, SOC II and TVC-Ohio Teams real close to schedule.
Last edited by BuckeyeCAV on Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:45 am, edited 11 times in total.

tl895
Varsity

Post by tl895 »

dont worry about mark vass doing his job!!!!!! that was just wrong! the last ad stuck us with this problem not him . he is doing his by getting us out of this league. wanna talk crowds? how bout all the empty seats at the tank's visitors side the last 2 years?? most of the seoal does not travel well.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

tl895 wrote:dont worry about mark vass doing his job!!!!!! that was just wrong! the last ad stuck us with this problem not him . he is doing his by getting us out of this league. wanna talk crowds? how bout all the empty seats at the tank's visitors side the last 2 years?? most of the seoal does not travel well.

In that case, Ironton should stay in the SEOAL.

I don't think we've ever seen a 4-1 team bring a smaller crowd to a game in the last 10 years. If GAHS or Jackson were 4-1 in the same situation, they would have had 4 times the crowd IHS brought to Logan.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

Henry Steele:

The varisty athletes sold those tickets back in the day. I was told by 5 people just in the past day that said they would buy a ticket if asked at their door. I cant tell you how much cookie dough i have in my freezer from the past couple of months and entertainment books by the half dozen. if it helps the kids, people will help out.

Back on subject. I think that scheduling will be difficult in football, but I think that scheduling in other sports will be ok. Many local lawrence and scioto county schools will play in volleyball, non varsity basketball (7th- freshman), track, cross country, baseball, softball, etc.

The independent staus does hurt our kids actually playing for anything, other than state titles. I would hope there would be someday an opportunity for our kids to compete in a league again, but outside of the SEOAL or a new startup league, i dont see it.

The tall tale ign of revenue will be the 2009-2010 school year. ironton plays 6 home football games. Russell, Wheelersburg, Portsmouth, Chillicothe, Logan and Nelsonville all come to the Tank. If the stands are not full, it wont be because of the league. I think 2009-2010 will be a great year at Ironton.

Also, Ironton will stay make noise in the SEOAL this season. We have the looks of a good basketball team and baseball returns alot of kids from last year. It should be a banner year for winter and spring sports. Go Fighting Tigers.

Mouth's Better Half
Varsity

More people attend footbal and b-ball games though but the other sports like volleyball and baseball no one is going to show up in Logan for a baseball game except a few parents, grandparents and that is it. You get more fans for both teams if the travel is close. Plus more people get to see their kids play. You know not every parent can afford the gas and a ticket to follow their student/ahtletes around.Now if they are playing at Boyd County, Russell, Ashland, Raceland, Portmouth, Portsmouth West, etc. that is not a bad drive after a 8 hour work day. The same with the OVC league. It also gets these athletes home to do homework. When they joined the league I couldn't believe it. I played basketball in high school in that league. You can't finish homework on a rolling bus in the dark. We did our best to do it in the stands when we weren't playing. Tennis, golf, volleyball, track-n- field, baseball, basketball all have games on the weekdays. As a parent it was a dumb decision for the students to be in a league that had teams so far from us. Your a parent 85 inside, is that what you would want for your kid?

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

Mouth's Better Half wrote:More people attend footbal and b-ball games though but the other sports like volleyball and baseball no one is going to show up in Logan for a baseball game except a few parents, grandparents and that is it. You get more fans for both teams if the travel is close. Plus more people get to see their kids play. You know not every parent can afford the gas and a ticket to follow their student/ahtletes around.Now if they are playing at Boyd County, Russell, Ashland, Raceland, Portmouth, Portsmouth West, etc. that is not a bad drive after a 8 hour work day. The same with the OVC league. It also gets these athletes home to do homework. When they joined the league I couldn't believe it. I played basketball in high school in that league. You can't finish homework on a rolling bus in the dark. We did our best to do it in the stands when we weren't playing. Tennis, golf, volleyball, track-n- field, baseball, basketball all have games on the weekdays. As a parent it was a dumb decision for the students to be in a league that had teams so far from us. Your a parent 85 inside, is that what you would want for your kid?

The more I see this issue for Ironton leaving the SEOAL again, the more I like Chillicothe leaving the SEOAL and going Independent too. The only bad thing would be, that the kids would not be able to play for a League Title or League Honors. But would still be able to play for Sectional, District, Regional and State Titles and Honors.

Our CAVS already play(s) the OCC, CCL-Columbus City League, CCL-Central Catholic League, MSL-Ohio, MSL-Buckeye, SVC, SCOL, TVC-Ohio, SOC II and OVC in all other sports. So all other sports would not be an issue.

For example, we have three SVC Schools in our back yard, i.e. Unioto, Zane Trace and Piketon that we could schedule twice in baseball. One in the TVC-Ohio, i.e. Vinton County, three in the SCOL, i.e. Greenfield McClain, Hillsboro and Washington C.H. Two in the MSL-Buckeye, i.e., Circleville and Logan Elm. One in the SOC II, i.e., Waverly. There is your 20 game schedule for baseball, if push would come to shove.

Football would be the only sport we would have to work on, concerning scheduling.

But if our CAVS could get Columbus South, Columbus West, Circleville, Hillsboro, Greenfield McClain, Washington C.H., back on the schedule.....along with a Waverly, Vinton County and closing with Zanesville and Portsmouth..(our old rival) it could work. Less travel, larger crowds, new rivarlies and old ones rekindled. The crowd from Circleville, Waverly, Greenfield, Hillsboro, McArthur and Washington C.H. would be huge. All of those schools are close to Chillicothe.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

Mouths better half:

If my child was making more than say 5 trips to warren, Chillicothe, Zanesville, Marietta or Logan, I would say that would be a problem. However, if you will check, the SEOAL of say 1979 or 1985 was far different than today. Girls basketball teams were not playing every year at those far off places, like they were in those days.

I agree with you. In a perfect world, I think we should play the local teams. however, will they agree to play? That is the big question. The ONLY reason I was in favor of the league, was for the kids. it gave them an opportunity to compete for team and individual honors in league competition. There is no league that will take us in that is local. That means that the only team honor we can win is a state title. That is disappointing.
I agree that it was time to get out of the league. I dont agree that our AD made various attempts to get us out of the league, as was stated in the Tribune article. As a matter of fact, as of last fall, our AD recommended that we stay in the league.
I assume that the athletic department has an operating budget for all sports programs and based on that detailed budget, we were losing money in all sports and that is why we were recommended to get out. If we were spending more money than we brought in, it was time for change. Is that the case? Were we spending more money than we brought in? Or were we just not making as much as we were making before. Big difference.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

85inside wrote:Henry Steele:

The varisty athletes sold those tickets back in the day. I was told by 5 people just in the past day that said they would buy a ticket if asked at their door. I cant tell you how much cookie dough i have in my freezer from the past couple of months and entertainment books by the half dozen. if it helps the kids, people will help out.

Back on subject. I think that scheduling will be difficult in football, but I think that scheduling in other sports will be ok. Many local lawrence and scioto county schools will play in volleyball, non varsity basketball (7th- freshman), track, cross country, baseball, softball, etc.

The independent staus does hurt our kids actually playing for anything, other than state titles. I would hope there would be someday an opportunity for our kids to compete in a league again, but outside of the SEOAL or a new startup league, i dont see it.

The tall tale ign of revenue will be the 2009-2010 school year. ironton plays 6 home football games. Russell, Wheelersburg, Portsmouth, Chillicothe, Logan and Nelsonville all come to the Tank. If the stands are not full, it wont be because of the league. I think 2009-2010 will be a great year at Ironton.

Also, Ironton will stay make noise in the SEOAL this season. We have the looks of a good basketball team and baseball returns alot of kids from last year. It should be a banner year for winter and spring sports. Go Fighting Tigers.

I was told by someone from Chilllicothe that we play at Chillicothe just like we played back to back games at Logan the last 2 years. So we will only have 5 home games and Chillicothe will have 6 home games next year. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

tigermama wrote:
OZZIEOHIO wrote:
i know the economy is down right now but i just cant see 70,000 a year. i agree that the athletic program needs to be looked at. some need to just take a look at what can be done to fix the problem from the inside.take more effort (fundraisers)
to raise money instead of depending on the tiger clan.

It cost alot of money to keep the gym cool during the hot summer two adays. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please show some class! :roll: :roll: :roll: As far as the Tiger clan goes, they may raise money to help the school but then again, the football players have to sell 10 of their cards every year at a dollar a peice, so again, the football program helps them too because lets face it, no one buys them, the parents have to donate the $10.00 because it is mandatory that every player sell them. Oh and that's from the seventh grade through the seniors. So, I think the football program helps itself too. It really doesn't matter what anyone on here thinks about us leaving the seoal, it only matters what the school decides and I am sure they will try to do their best for all the sports, not just football. I went to every game this year and at the home games the only visiting teams to bring very many fans were Ashland and Gallipolis. So why don't you guys back off and get a life! :roll: :roll: :roll:

I agree, I went to every game this season also and you are right i would say Ashland brought the biggest crowd to the Tank.

Mouth's Better Half
Varsity

I now this will sounds ridiculous and some won't believe it but my son and daughter could have cared less about a league title. They played because they loved the competition and for their team. As an athlete I so respected both of them for that. It was never just about them. They were both willing to do what any coach asked of them for the team. Rachel played all 3 sports for four years and now plays two sports in college. The school system and the AD should do what is best in the interest of the students -- period--.Athletics is an EXTRACURRICULAR activity. I love them and so do you. But when colleges comes to ask if your child would like to attend their university they ask next , their ACT score and GPA.

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

OHbuckeye1 wrote:
85inside wrote:Henry Steele:

I was told by someone from Chilllicothe that we play at Chillicothe just like we played back to back games at Logan the last 2 years. So we will only have 5 home games and Chillicothe will have 6 home games next year. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

OHbuckeye1,

That's what's on our schedule here at Chillicothe. We have Ironton at home again in 2009. We have 6 home games in the 2009 season. Must be something the SEOAL came up with. Chillicothe played more SEOAL games this season than Logan did. Gallipolis played 6 home games this season if I am not wrong. So it has to do with the way the SEOAL came up with the schedules I guess.

Mouth's Better Half wrote:I now this will sounds ridiculous and some won't believe it but my son and daughter could have cared less about a league title. They played because they loved the competition and for their team. As an athlete I so respected both of them for that. It was never just about them. They were both willing to do what any coach asked of them for the team. Rachel played all 3 sports for four years and now plays two sports in college. The school system and the AD should do what is best in the interest of the students -- period--.Athletics is an EXTRACURRICULAR activity. I love them and so do you. But when colleges comes to ask if your child would like to attend their university they ask next , their ACT score and GPA.

Well Put.
Last edited by BuckeyeCAV on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

MBH:

I dont think that sounds ridiculous at all. Some kids I am sure feel the way you do. However, some kids are motivated by team league titles. When i was in school it was the football teams #1 goal. Win your league, go undefeated, win a state title. I dont think kids come out and play sports for league titles. however, it is great to be able to play for them as a team.

I believe I was told by Mr Vass that Ironton played 6 home games in 2009. Even if Ironton is not home with Chillicothe, the five home games they will have, will be huge. Wheelersburg, Russell, Portsmouth, Logan and Nelsonville are all big home games. The Logan game would sound real good on Saturday night at say 7 PM. Big crowd!!

Return to “Football”