Fairland Non-Renews Coach Wilcoxon

bgmonster
Waterboy

Re: Fairland Non-Renews Coach Wilcoxon

Post by bgmonster »

Here we go with more twisted truths and misrepresentations. If you read the previous posts 32, I believe the discussion had to do with not trashing the kids rumored to be transferring. Kids transfer all the time to go with programs better suited to their needs or just better programs in general. I don't think anyone can argue that Fairland's football program is having problems, regardless of where the blame lies. I certainly wouldn't blame a kid for not wanting to sacrifice his last year or two of high school ball to politics, especially if he has even a remote chance of trading ball for an education.

Da Bangman
Waterboy

Post by Da Bangman »

I know Coach Wilcoxon and he is a great guy, he works hard and does it for the kids. My question does Fairland have a great football tradition? I am not from the area anymore but I still follow sports from this area. I only remember a few times in my life that Fairland was very good in football. Am I wrong? You hate to see a coach get fired after going 5-5 and talent is on the way. If they would of not had some of the injury's they would of probably finished 7-3. How many winning seasons has Fairland had over the past 30 years? They are probably one of the bigger schools in their league.

Mouth's Better Half
Varsity

Post by Mouth's Better Half »

If you saw their football stadium I would say no. I think what is sad and I have been reading this thread for weeks is that Coach Wilcoxen is a great person and a good coach. I have no doubt that he always has the best interest of his athletes in mind. Today if you can't succeed and I mean quickly after you are hired the administration wants to take a chance on another coach. I think the administration should ask themselves if they supported him and gave him every chance of turning a program around. If they hire someone new will they put the same pressure on the new coach to win and I mean quickly, or he is out the door. That revolving door of coaches is never good for a program or the athlete/ students. I have known Brent for a long time and what he teaches young men will stay with them long after they don't play football. I guess parents and board have to decide what they want for their student / athletes.

sportsnut mom
Freshman Team

Post by sportsnut mom »

I may be wrong but I believe FHS has had 9, yes 9, OVC titles in its history! Heck of a football program year to date! ;-)

osunut77
Waterboy

Post by osunut77 »

i just want to say that after reading the numerous posts on this topic over the past couple nights, i can't help but laugh a little. some people are so set on one idea, and that's all. unfortuantely, that idea is winning at all costs. i know everyone wants to win, i know i did when i played. and i was there for 3 of coach wilcoxin's first 3 years. it killied me to lose because many times we lost because of landslide that started with one mistake, bigtimehitter knows what i mean. he was there with me.

anyway, coach wilcoxin is a great man who deserves better. he put everything he had into this program and for the BOE to turn their back on him is appalling. after my sophmore year, coach w took myself and two others to tony franklin's camp in owensboro, ky. he spent time and money just to take us there so when didn't go alone and he knew most of the things coach franklin was teaching us, i believe he even helped. he spent his own money, money that could've gone to his own family, to buy weightroom equipment. he would have the weightroom open from 9-11am and then again 5-7pm, four days a week, throughout the summer. his first thought was also or the best of his team or anyone who might be thinking about playing.

just because his records were great doesn't mean he wasn't a great coach. he was a coach who really cared for every player which is hard to say about other coaches. he spent countless hours working on making his system work for the players he had. maybe he didn't spend as much time on defense but how many coaches do both. he had two defensive coordinators quit halfway through the season before coach fisher started. that's hard to do because each coordinator wanted a new defense every 2 weeks. something you can't do at any level, no matter the talent. each year, coach had to give into the rasing criticism and he began to run the ball more. i realized this just playing for him as an offesive lineman, who was coached by "daddy"/coach lamb, who i have the highest respect for. it killed him to change what he wanted to do but he did because he wanted to coach. he loves to coach and that shouldn't be taken from him. that's also why he's been at two other schools in the area.

anyway, i have much more i could say but i will end with this. thanks so much to coach w and all the other coaches. i learned so much from you all, not just about football but about myself and that's what mattered. as for coach w, you deserve whatever job you get and hope only the best for you. you are a great man and a great coach. i also want to congratulate the b-ball team on a great season and hope the best for you next year.

Go Bucks!

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

I think there is a board meeting Monday if anyone is interested.

sportsnut mom
Freshman Team

Post by sportsnut mom »

Hopefully all the worry and wait will be over. I know the boys are excited to know who's next or who's coming back. Good luck to whom ever gets the job.

wemufans
All Conference

Post by wemufans »

rat wrote:I saw Mclung on the basketball bench at OU, is he going to be the next football coach? Why is he all of a sudden on the basketball bench?

I think he had been coaching a middle school girls team all season. Don't know if he was on the bench during the boys games all season or not.

bike111
Waterboy

Post by bike111 »

Mark My word

Snyder HC
McClung Asst
Ward Asst

McClung HC
Ward Asst

Snyder (retired)

osunut77
Waterboy

Post by osunut77 »

i don't snyder being the head coach, especially since he'll have baseball, i know it's different seasons but i don't think he'd do both now. i'd say mcclung as the head coach at least this year and probably the next

bgmonster
Waterboy

Post by bgmonster »

Synder was voted in as the new head football coach at the board meeting Monday night.

sportsnut mom
Freshman Team

Post by sportsnut mom »

Any assistants being named yet?

Ump
Freshman Team

Post by Ump »

So, bike111 has a crystal ball?

earp
S

Post by earp »

I would say Bike is probably right on as far as assistants go. :122249

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

No surprise there.

the pooper
Waterboy

Post by the pooper »

fairland might only have 9 championships, but there wasnt very many losing seasons from 84-03 at fairland. they fielded most of their best teams ever during these years. lots of really good teams.

sportsnut mom
Freshman Team

Post by sportsnut mom »

So Pooper, how many reserved seats are you going to buy this year??

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

bgmonster wrote:Synder was voted in as the new head football coach at the board meeting Monday night.

Who is Synder and what is his back ground?

earp
S

Post by earp »

Roger Snyder is the current AD at Fairland.He has been at Fairland since 1981.He orginally first came to Fairland around 1970?? I believe as an assistant under Jim Mayo.Snyder then had stints at Bradford High School in Western Ohio and at Raceland Ky where he always had comepetitive teams.After that he then came back to Fairland in 1981 where he has been ever since.He was Fairlands head coach from 1981-92.Records are as follows best I can remember.
1981- 5-5
1982- 8-2
1983- 8-2
1984- 7-3
1985- 7-2
1986- 7-3
1987- 6-4
1988- 1-9
1989- 5-5
1990- 5-5
1991- 7-3
1992- 5-4
OVC titles in 1984 and 1985.But played for the conference title in a lot of those other years.I get a overall record of 71-47 in 12 seasons which is a pretty good resume in my opinion. :122249

sportsnut mom
Freshman Team

Post by sportsnut mom »

Good job Earp! Some of those stats look familiar to the past few seasons.

Return to “Football”