Wheelersburg vs Bishop Hartley week #13 Region 17 Final

Badboy
Varsity

Re: Wheelersburg vs Bishop Hartley week #13 Region 17 Final

Post by Badboy »

4th n Goal wrote:After his name was brought up earlier, I googled Estaban Weaver. It is great that he is working with young people now to hopefully keep someone else from following his footsteps, but who knows how his life would have turned out if he had his head on straight at a young age.

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-bes ... ban-weaver
I got the pleasure of watching him in the Regionals at the Convo. Maybe not the best high school player I've seen (Mayo), but had the most impact on his team. The guy was unreal in high school. Too bad his attitude and temper wasnt better or he would have easily been an NBA starter. For his size he handled the ball extremely well and rarely missed a jump shot.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

run n shoot 08 wrote:
ohbuckeye2 wrote:
run n shoot 08 wrote:I don't think the Wheelersburg fans know what they're in for. I'm just going to guess that most of the fans haven't seen Hartley play this season. The team is not very big, but they are physical and smart. Hartley has been battle tested all season which is going to be the difference. Wheelersburgs only test was Jackson, who man handled them. I just don't see Wheelersburg getting enough stops to be in this game. I also think the Hartley defense will surprise you. They have really stepped it up this year.
How many Wheelersburg games have you been to this year? Wheelersburgs Defense just might surprise some Hartley fans this year, they are pretty physical and play really smart.

Good luck Pirates!!
Jackson, Ironton, West, Liberty Union, Minford.
I'm guessing your on the Coaching Staff then if you've been to that many Wheelersburg games, am I correct in assuming that? Why else would you miss that many Hartly games lol. Hartley must have some concern if they have scouted the Pirates that many times :122245

JasonClaytor
Freshman Team

Post by JasonClaytor »

How many Wheelersburg games have you been to this year? Wheelersburgs Defense just might surprise some Hartley fans this year, they are pretty physical and play really smart.

Good luck Pirates!![/quote]

Jackson, Ironton, West, Liberty Union, Minford.[/quote]

I'm guessing your on the Coaching Staff then if you've been to that many Wheelersburg games, am I correct in assuming that? Why else would you miss that many Hartly games lol. Hartley must have some concern if they have scouted the Pirates that many times :122245[/quote]

Lol I wasn't at the games. I have watched film of them on Hudl. I'm in no way associated with the coaching staff. And trust me Hartley has nothing to be concerned about.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Are there really that many people that don't know what the Hudl is?

SPAMONY
Varsity

Post by SPAMONY »

no way he saw us Hudl .... We are a no Hudl team LMAO!!!!!!

siderman57
Freshman Team

Post by siderman57 »

run n shoot 08 wrote:
ohbuckeye2 wrote:
run n shoot 08 wrote:I don't think the Wheelersburg fans know what they're in for. I'm just going to guess that most of the fans haven't seen Hartley play this season. The team is not very big, but they are physical and smart. Hartley has been battle tested all season which is going to be the difference. Wheelersburgs only test was Jackson, who man handled them. I just don't see Wheelersburg getting enough stops to be in this game. I also think the Hartley defense will surprise you. They have really stepped it up this year.

Good luck Pirates!!
Jackson, Ironton, West, Liberty Union, Minford.

Wow you must be concened with playing the Burg and/or like watching a Great Football Team

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Seen the mentions of Esteban Weaver above. Nobody gave that Burg basketball team a chance against Hartley and Weaver in the 95 State Semis, but Burg shocked the world that night in Columbus.

It'll take Burg's best game of the season Saturday night to advance for sure, but not impossible like some here are suggesting. Seen a lot of this same kind of message board talk before West beat Youngstown Ursuline in the state semis (think it was '03 or '04). Good luck Pirates*

siderman57
Freshman Team

Post by siderman57 »

run n shoot 08 wrote:This thread is comical. Obviously every teams goal has been to shut down the Hartley run game. The problem is that no one has been able to do that. Hartley will be physical and has the ability to control the clock and line of scrimmage, as long as they don't turn the ball over. This Hartley team is faster than recent years, but makes their living between the tackles. They will still stretch the field with jet sweeps some. It will be a lot more difficult to stop Hartley's offense than it was to stop Ironton or Jackson. Hartley will have 5 kids on the field every play that can effectively run the ball, where Ironton had one.
I think Wheelersburgs quarterback is better than last years, at least throwing the ball. With that being said, St. Clairsville had a really good quarterback and only threw for 48 yards last week.
I saw Jackson do everything they wanted against Wheelersburg, also also saw Portsmouth West hang strong against them. This leads me to believe Hartley will be able to score a lot of points.

I think you are comical..Inspite of all odds that the Burg even stays close in this game against this unbeatable , to strong , very physical , very fast, .. Many everwhere believing that the Burg Kids do not have a chance.... There is much not seen via film.. One thing is for sure , the Wheelersburg Pirates Football TEAM has the Athletes, the Heart and Leadership to respond to Adversity this Year. They are quite aware that they are the underdogs and they know that Hartley is going into this game with the attitude of being up already by 35 points...The Pirates will be ready for thier toughest challenge of this year and they have everything going there way to pull this one off...I see a major upset this Saturday Night...

Old Bulldog
Freshman Team

Post by Old Bulldog »

Wheelersburg is the BIG underdog in this one.
I like the attitude that Minnesota's coach had when they played Ohio State. He told his kids to play hard each play and don't even look at the scoreboard. Just try to execute on each play and see what happens. You can't ask for more than that. Minnesota had their chances in losing by 7 to a very good Ohio state team.
Wheelersburg needs to take the same attitude. Just play your game. Use your keys and execute.
There's been bigger upsets in OHSAA history than a #2 beating a #1.
I posted earlier in the year that this Pirate team may be better than last years team. I think that they definitely are.
Go Burg!

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Crab's brother wrote:Are there really that many people that don't know what the Hudl is?
I've never heard of it myself. I just checked out their web site, I had no idea this existed.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

SPAMONY wrote:no way he saw us Hudl .... We are a no Hudl team LMAO!!!!!!
:lol:

Winchell
JV Team

Post by Winchell »

Westfan wrote:Seen both teams up close.
Wheelersburg has a huge line. But Hartley is the more physical team. They are nasty up front.
Wheelersburg has excellent team athleticism and speed for the area. But Hartley is just on another level.

Hartley jams receivers and leaves their corners on an island. You can beat them in the passing game. How much contact down field the zebras allow could have a big effect on the game. If Wheelersburg is not able to keep Hartley off balance throwing, they will no get much running. Hartley's D line and linebackers are really good. I think Wheelersburg can score some points but they have to possess the ball and score a lot because they are going to struggle stopping Hartley.

I've seen a lot of good high school teams but few run their offense with the precision that Hartley does. They don't get cute and they don't care how much you stack the box. They are still going to run it. The speed of the quarterback and wings make it very difficult to stop. You have to have great linebacker play to have a chance. That is not the strength of Wheelersburg.

What offense do they run?

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

winchell wrote:
Wheelersburg has a huge line. But Hartley is the more physical team. They are nasty up front.
Wheelersburg has excellent team athleticism and speed for the area. But Hartley is just on another level.

Hartley jams receivers and leaves their corners on an island. You can beat them in the passing game. How much contact down field the zebras allow could have a big effect on the game. If Wheelersburg is not able to keep Hartley off balance throwing, they will no get much running. Hartley's D line and linebackers are really good. I think Wheelersburg can score some points but they have to possess the ball and score a lot because they are going to struggle stopping Hartley.

I've seen a lot of good high school teams but few run their offense with the precision that Hartley does. They don't get cute and they don't care how much you stack the box. They are still going to run it. The speed of the quarterback and wings make it very difficult to stop. You have to have great linebacker play to have a chance. That is not the strength of Wheelersburg.

Hartley will try to control the clock and run the ball but I'm sure they can throw if needed. Burg needs to play with full intensity and not get down early.

Last year, I thought the zebras let the Hartley DB's get away with a lot of holding down the field. I thought in HS it was no contact after 5 yards? Burg can throw the ball on them as long as they call the defensive holdings. If they let the DB's hold then hell, I could cover anyone out on the field and I'm 50 years old.

Winchell
JV Team

Post by Winchell »

In high school, I believe you can have contact as long as the ball is not in the air.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:
winchell wrote:

Hartley will try to control the clock and run the ball but I'm sure they can throw if needed. Burg needs to play with full intensity and not get down early.

Last year, I thought the zebras let the Hartley DB's get away with a lot of holding down the field. I thought in HS it was no contact after 5 yards? Burg can throw the ball on them as long as they call the defensive holdings. If they let the DB's hold then hell, I could cover anyone out on the field and I'm 50 years old.
Don't show your age Flintstone. :lol:

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Burg has made some good adjustment's during game's. Continuing this will be crucial to the outcome of this game. Burg needs to continue to do what they have done to this point in the season. Do what you do best. Show em how Hillbillies play ball.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

winchell wrote:In high school, I believe you can have contact as long as the ball is not in the air.

I find that hard to believe. If that was the case, a receiver would never be able to get open because the DB would hold him all the way down the field.

xxChampionxx 5
Riding the Bench

Post by xxChampionxx 5 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:Last year, I thought the zebras let the Hartley DB's get away with a lot of holding down the field. I thought in HS it was no contact after 5 yards?
Wah! Mommy, mommy. He tugged my jersey. Last time I checked, this was football. It the refs let them play, then they're going to play. After two calls or less, the tugging ends. No call, the tugging continues. Basic coaching. Deal with it. Every team does. Your OG buries DL in a clear holding. No call. Keep doing it. The refs establish the parameters. Each crew is unique. Learn. Adapt. Or Suffer. Stop crying. It's football. Not some sissy sport. Don't be falling on the ground and crying in fake pain holding your shin like some soccer dweeb. I hate that crap. We all hate that crap. You want objectivity, stick with video games. If the ref lets you whack a dude in the helmet with your elbow, do it every time until it costs you 15. And then quit. You 'Burgers are men. And you play like it. Act like it. And adapt to the zebras. Control the game and yourselves so that they don't. And if the refs are inconsistent. Fuque it. They're that way every week. Deal.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

Contact with a receiver is absolutely allowed in HS if the ball is not in the air. There were a few of us this had this conversation last year after the Hartley game, and that is a pro rule not a HS rule. Holding is never allowed at anytime.

AHM
Freshman Team

Post by AHM »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:
winchell wrote:In high school, I believe you can have contact as long as the ball is not in the air.

I find that hard to believe. If that was the case, a receiver would never be able to get open because the DB would hold him all the way down the field.
Db can jam recerivers all the way down the field until the ball is in the air.

I thought Wheelersburg had knowledgable fans? I thought they'd know the rules before complaining?

Return to “Football”