Fairland Non-Renews Coach Wilcoxon

bgmonster
Waterboy

Re: Fairland Non-Renews Coach Wilcoxon

Post by bgmonster »

Getagrip, it sounds to me like you may be a disgruntled "daddy" with unfulfilled dreams of coaching or with a kid who didn't play much. Either way, you obviously don't know much about college football. Of course it makes a difference where they play. Different coaches and teams run different offenses and defenses. Any player wants to play where his skills will be utilized. Lamb and Bloomfield are receivers. Hatfield is a passing quarterback. Also, these kids don't have time to start over in another program. Two of them have one year of high school left. Whatever they decide to do, it certainly won't be to please fairweather fans like you. As for the "daddies" that are coaching, at least they care enough to get involved. It sounds like you spent every Friday night stirring things up in the stands. Very productive of you.

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

Getagrip the school board took the program away.

getagrip
Waterboy

Post by getagrip »

So, Blindwhitehat, you can't demonstrate offensive talent unless you're in an offense that heavily emphasizes passing? Give me a break. Maybe the next coach won't have the same philosophy, but I doubt he'll be someone who would ignore the team's talent. If he has two really good receivers and a quality quarterback, he's going to utilize their abilities in the passing game. You don't need to be in an offense that allows you to pad your numbers to prove to colleges that you can play at the next level.
Besides, I have confidence the board will hire a coach whose offensive goals are more than three yards and a cloud of dust.

I would rather have a coaching staff that has the team in a better position to win. If they play better defense, they won't have to pass all the time to catch up. Maybe that's what you'd prefer, because that way the players would have better numbers. I'd rather have sound football on both sides of the ball.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

getagrip wrote:Not having coach Wilcoxon around isn't going to keep any of them from playing in college if they're good enough.

To make that statement shows how little you know about football. Wilcoxon's offense will showcase the skilled players. There's a good chance another coach may run a different offense giving these guys less chance to shine.

sportsnut mom
Freshman Team

Post by sportsnut mom »

Pooper you selected the right screen-name because you're full of it. I can't wait to see who applies for this job. If the BOE is SO concerned for the kids, they should do it quick so the kids can start in the weightroom and make plans for summer workouts and camps. Good luck to whomever gets it because all eyes will be on you. :shock:

earp
S

Post by earp »

I agree with you on getting someone hired and getting the transition over with.These kids need to know who is going to be coaching them. ;-)

FormerDragon902444
Waterboy

Post by FormerDragon902444 »

I will admit I really only attened 1 game, and they looked pretty good, but they had alot of injuries too. I know a father of some kids that play and he and I got to talking about Coach Wilcoxon. I am not going to say that he is the greatest coach ever Jack Harris takes that title at Fairland, but at the same time he has the weight room open every possible min. he is on everyone of his players about grades and keeping track of all of them. He seems to me as a great players coach. Everyone should really understand that you cannot turn a program aroud in 2 years... What Fairland needs to do is re-hire him ( the smartest thing ) or give a contract to there next coach that says " You have 5 years " no matter the losses or anything else you have 5 years to turn this program around if you don't see ya... This is how you are going to get a good program... Do you see Ironton or anybody whom wins year in and year out change coaches every year or two... I just think it is dumb.

FormerDragon902444
Waterboy

Post by FormerDragon902444 »

On the players Transfering..... they would be smart to head to Coal Grove the have a great coach... and they are all about tradition...

ItownHosscat
S

Post by ItownHosscat »

Honestly,If they are that good they will get more looks at Ironton.I'm not boasting its just the facts.
Mark Snyder is a good example.

panthersnaps
Waterboy

Post by panthersnaps »

BlindWhiteHat wrote:
getagrip wrote:Not having coach Wilcoxon around isn't going to keep any of them from playing in college if they're good enough.

To make that statement shows how little you know about football. Wilcoxon's offense will showcase the skilled players. There's a good chance another coach may run a different offense giving these guys less chance to shine.

It should be about winning football games not which system will showcase who the best. You basically just said making a few skill players look good is more important than winning games. Everyone can keep jumping on get a grip but he is the only one being realistic.

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

IMO his offense is built for the athletes that FHS has right now which gives us are best chance to win.

OVCfan32
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan32 »

o god please stop whining and shut up. . .PS BG monster. . dont sit there and freakin give a shrinks oppinion of who this guy is. . coming from a college football player. . none of those kids are good enough to attract real attention and no it doesn't matter where they will be playing unless they transfer to a school where they wont see any playing time

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Someone mentioned Wilcoxen coaching all over southern Ohio on a post earlier. I know he was the head coach at SP. At sometime before that he was head basketball coach at Symmes Valley. Where else has he been?

duke
Riding the Bench

Post by duke »

OVCfan32 wrote:o god please stop whining and shut up. . .PS BG monster. . dont sit there and freakin give a shrinks oppinion of who this guy is. . coming from a college football player. . none of those kids are good enough to attract real attention and no it doesn't matter where they will be playing unless they transfer to a school where they wont see any playing time

ovcfan32,
You seem to be hoping to see the downfall of a program that may affect the futures of some kids just because they happen to don green and white jerseys instead of purple AND they live a few miles further down the road. If you really did play beyond high school, you should be even more supportive of any local boy or girl who has the potential to play beyond high school instead of pretending they aren't any good just because they don't attend your alma malter. I don't recall reading many posts from Fairland fans trashing the talent at Chesapeake. You often seem to have negative posts regarding Fairland and you really don't even have a dog in this race. No one is making you read this thread. There are plenty of others you can devote your time and negativity toward.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Raiderball-I think he was also an assistant at Gallia Academy

The Truth
Waterboy

Post by The Truth »

ovc 32,just wondering where you play?

bgmonster
Waterboy

Post by bgmonster »

I'm curious to know where you played too, OVC 32 since you can't seem to spell or punctuate. Regardless, let me clarify my position on the Fairland coaching situation. Despite the work and effort put into the program by the soon to be "former" coaching staff, parents, FYFL, and community members, the Board seems hell bent on placing their own coach at the helm. The primary candidate being Fairland's current AD, who is also the head baseball coach and rumored to retire after next year. What then? Appoint another coach? If I was a kid with hopes of playing football, or any sport, after high school, I'd look for an established program supported by its Board. On a yearly basis, Fairland's Board has tried to tell Wilcoxen what kind of offense to run and held the threat of non-renewal over his head. To my knowledge, no other coach at Fairland has had to work with that threat each year. As for your opinion about any of the Fairland kids attracting college attention, I guess time will tell. Your support of local kids is impressive though.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

I find the notion that the Fairland school board would hold non-renewal over a coach's head to be very interesting.

I was talking to some school board members I know from another district, and they said that they more or less give thumbs-up or thumbs down to the recommendations of the district's administration; they don't actively make policy.

How do most districts really work?

the pooper
Waterboy

Post by the pooper »

when u go 7-23 over your first three years, i would hope the board would hold something over his head. these boys seem to win in every sport except football. however, no one on here wants to discuss why this might be. what program do you keep saying he built?? he went 12-28 in four years!

and the man told the board before the year starts that he has so much talent that if he didn't have a winning record he would quit himself. hmmmmmmmm.............

bgmonster
Waterboy

Post by bgmonster »

It's funny, but Rusty Leep threw up that same line in the Board meeting like Wilcoxen had some kind of character flaw because he was re-applying for the position instead of just giving up. My question to Mr. Leep would be how many other coaches do you force into that same position where they have to bargain to keep their job? Will you make the next coach give the same promise? Fairland finished 5-5 this year and I believe that one more win (and there were several that were close) would have put them in the playoffs. Would that have made a difference? I guess not since Mr. Leep cited "discipline" problems as his reason for nonrenewal. (Mr. Leep, who by his own admission, attended one game all season.) I hope the next coach is more in tune with the Board's needs. What do you think Pooper?

Return to “Football”