Is Zanesville leaving the SEOAL after the 2008-2009 season?

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

The reasons listed in this and previous articles as to why Zanesville left are pretty much the same reasons Athens listed when they decided to leave the SEOAL.

Travel time/gas prices
More focus on academics on school nights
Playing local teams for rivalries and bigger gate receipts

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

:-D All good reasons to. :-D

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

gahs4ever wrote:And all of those "good reasons" were true and known when they decided to get into the league.

I'm not saying it is right or wrong to leave the league. All I'm saying is what are you going to do.There gone. Whatever the reason is it really doesn't matter. Life will go on without ZV just like it did befoere ZV.
----You can remind them of there reasons when they come on down south because they need to fill that independant schedule out--------
:-D :-D :-D

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Army
S

Post by Army »

Orange and Brown wrote:
gahs4ever wrote:And all of those "good reasons" were true and known when they decided to get into the league.

I'm not saying it is right or wrong to leave the league. All I'm saying is what are you going to do.There gone. Whatever the reason is it really doesn't matter. Life will go on without ZV just like it did befoere ZV.
----You can remind them of there reasons when they come on down south because they need to fill that independant schedule out--------
:-D :-D :-D

Good Point :!:

ZvilleBlueDevil
JV Team

Post by ZvilleBlueDevil »

I alway's thought it was our old A.D that got us in i know the board vote's on it but funny how when the A.D was replaced recently were out of the SEOAL just my thought's...

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

An "updated" version of the article above from the Zanesville Times Recorder......this picks up where the previous article post left off......

Board member Anne Hoffer doesn't believe leaving the SEOAL will have too great of an effect on the athletes.

"I don't think the kids will miss the SEOAL because they haven't developed those rivalries yet," she said.

Aronhalt said a few options will be taken into consideration over the next year, including joining the East Central Ohio League (ECOL), which includes Cambridge, Dover, New Philadelphia, Coshocton, Meadowbrook, Claymont, Indian Valley (who is leaving the conference) and River View, becoming independent or joining a league that may form from the Ohio Valley Athletic Conference (OVAC).

"In the long run, going back to being independent may be a better overall option," he said.

When he took the position as athletic director in August, he said one of the first things he did was distribute a questionnaire for the coaches about the league and the overall feedback was the same - to pull out from the league due to travel time and finances.

"Kids don't like to ride on the bus for four hours any more than the coaches do," Hoffer said.

http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080125/NEWS01/801250303

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

I'm sorry, but all of these reasons for leaving should have been evaluated before Zanesville joined the league. It's not like you can't know beforehand whether kids wouldn't like riding on a bus for 3 hours. You also could expect that you wouldn't have huge crowds when you play a team that's 2 or 3 hours away. It's that way for all SEOAL schools. For example, the crowd at a Jackson-GAHS game in Jackson will always be larger than a crowd for a Jackson-Marietta game.

Zanesville should leave because of the reasons they're stating...but they also never should have joined because of those reasons.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

In fairness this is a different AD and if you read the second half of the article you can see that he whent and asked his coaches what they thought. Most likely the travel didn't sound to bad at first but then the student atheletes probably got tired of it. Every one acts like its personal. Its not they have reasons weather you like them or not.They have to do whats best for there kids not the SEOAL.

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Army
S

Post by Army »

Orange and Brown wrote:In fairness this is a different AD and if you read the second half of the article you can see that he whent and asked his coaches what they thought. Most likely the travel didn't sound to bad at first but then the student atheletes probably got tired of it. Every one acts like its personal. Its not they have reasons weather you like them or not.They have to do whats best for there kids not the SEOAL.

We were told last season when Aronhalt took over the AD slot that he was getting Zanesville out of this League. It was stated that Football would be O.K. going back to a non-league schedule. That Football was not the King Sport at Zanesville, that Basketball was.

The main reason quoted was that the SEOAL was rookie Basketball League except for Chillicothe, there was no real competition. Thus, over time, by staying in the SEOAL Aronhalt felt it would ruin his Blue Devil Basketball Program.

Don't know if it's true but a Zaneville Fan shared that with us in Chillicothe :!:

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Orange and Brown wrote:In fairness this is a different AD and if you read the second half of the article you can see that he whent and asked his coaches what they thought. Most likely the travel didn't sound to bad at first but then the student atheletes probably got tired of it. Every one acts like its personal. Its not they have reasons weather you like them or not.They have to do whats best for there kids not the SEOAL.

I understand that they have to do what's best for their kids. My point is that they should have done what was best for them to begin with. That means that they never should have entered the league. The distance between Zanesville and Ironton is still the same as it was 2 years ago and gas prices were pretty high back then too. I'm not acting like it's personal at all. I'm acting like the situation wasn't evaluated to the extent it should have been when this proposal was first made.

Army
S

Post by Army »

As the gas prices go higher and more teams look for that other possibility, who knows who could be next, that departs the SEOAL :?: :-D

Army
S

Post by Army »

gahs4ever wrote:It works both ways Buster. If teams dont like travel because it is cost prohibitive, where are the larger schools going to have to go to find games if they go independent?

You may have noticed that there are no DI teams in SE Ohio for football (unless you count Lancaster as SE Ohio. They are Central). There are only a handful of DII schools as well. A few more DIII, but really not that many.

SE Ohio is predominantly DIV-VI, and I can tell you after following GAHS just for the last dozen years or so that it is getting harder and harder to find local schools who will play us, and when we do find one, we get criticized for not scheduling "tougher."

In recent years we have seen two year contracts with Sheridan, Meigs, Coal Grove, Wheelersburg, and Vinton County non renewed. River Valley dropped us earlier for all the right reasons, and Ive heard that with the rotating league schedule in WVa, long time rival Point Pleasant may be force to drop us in the near future. Who did not renew and why is something I am not privvy to, but again, it is getting harder to find schools to play us non league, and we are a school of declining enrollment that is DIV in football.

I can tell you that our options are already beginning to get harder to fill, and am wondering if gas prices and travel costs DO continue to increase, how far we might have to travel just to fill out a schedule.

So then, could you imagine if our SEOAL shrinks to 5-6 teams and trying to secure 6-7 non-league games :?:

If it's difficult for Gallia, what do you think about teams like Chillicothe :?:

Army
S

Post by Army »

gahs4ever wrote:Chillicothe is centrally located at the intersections of US 23/35/50 and thus their options are much more accessible.

A short 45 min trip up 23 to no end of DI-III schools that I note that Chillicothe has been able to schedule. Big Walnut, Brookhaven, Hamilton Twp, etc come to mind. In addition there are other possible larger school options in the form of Circleville, the SCOL schools, etc, all within an hour of Chillicothe.

Gallipolis is out of your way on your way to anywhere, and Ironton is even more out of the way. Very few DII and up options within an hour (if any) and as Ive pointed out, the schools who are now our size have been dropping us because we are still perceived to be a big school; no doubt because we used to be fairly large, and also because of our SEOAL affiliation.

As they say....location, location, location, and Chillicothe has it in abundance.

Circleville, Logan Elm, Amanda Clearcreek, Westfall, Waverly and most he SCOL schools will not play us :?:

Army
S

Post by Army »

gahs4ever wrote:You still have more options in almost any direction.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Army
S

Post by Army »

gahs4ever wrote:Nice comeback!

Same Here :!:

ghostwriter
Varsity

Post by ghostwriter »

gahs4ever wrote:It works both ways Buster. If teams dont like travel because it is cost prohibitive, where are the larger schools going to have to go to find games if they go independent?

You may have noticed that there are no DI teams in SE Ohio for football (unless you count Lancaster as SE Ohio. They are Central). There are only a handful of DII schools as well. A few more DIII, but really not that many.

SE Ohio is predominantly DIV-VI, and I can tell you after following GAHS just for the last dozen years or so that it is getting harder and harder to find local schools who will play us, and when we do find one, we get criticized for not scheduling "tougher."

In recent years we have seen two year contracts with Sheridan, Meigs, Coal Grove, Wheelersburg, and Vinton County non renewed. River Valley dropped us earlier for all the right reasons, and Ive heard that with the rotating league schedule in WVa, long time rival Point Pleasant may be force to drop us in the near future. Who did not renew and why is something I am not privvy to, but again, it is getting harder to find schools to play us non league, and we are a school of declining enrollment that is DIV in football.

I can tell you that our options are already beginning to get harder to fill, and am wondering if gas prices and travel costs DO continue to increase, how far we might have to travel just to fill out a schedule.

Did you just think....I mean really think that the SEOAL is no longer the League it once was....Just maybe this could be the reason "WHY" the schools are bolting....

Army
S

Post by Army »

ghostwriter wrote:

Did you just think....I mean really think that the SEOAL is no longer the League it once was....Just maybe this could be the reason "WHY" the schools are bolting....

Ghostwriter,

I love your response :!:

God Bless you for speaking out :!:

That needed to be said :!: :-D

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

I'm not surprised that you love it, Army.

ghostwriter,

If that's your opinion, then that's fine. Will you explain to me how the SEOAL isn't what it used to be though? I feel that the SEOAL is probably as strong overall as it has ever been. The addition of the four teams, even with Zanesville leaving, has created the best competition that the SEOAL has seen in quite a while. Some schools are on an upswing right now while others are on a downswing, but top to bottom, the SEOAL is a very strong league.

Army
S

Post by Army »

ironman02 wrote:I'm not surprised that you love it, Army.

ghostwriter,

If that's your opinion, then that's fine. Will you explain to me how the SEOAL isn't what it used to be though? I feel that the SEOAL is probably as strong overall as it has ever been. The addition of the four teams, even with Zanesville leaving, has created the best competition that the SEOAL has seen in quite a while. Some schools are on an upswing right now while others are on a downswing, but top to bottom, the SEOAL is a very strong league.

Why don't you worry about the Ironmen, you might want to, concerning all sports, but especially football this up-coming season :!: :lol:

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

gahs4ever wrote:Since you feel you have the right to say that to 02, then I have the right to wish you would just go away period. Too suggest the SEOAL isnt the league it once was is just plain ignorant; not to mention grossly inaccurate, but the resident expert on all things SEOAL thinks it needed to be said.

So does that mean since Chillicothe, Zanesville, Portsmouth and Ironton came in last year that the SEOAL isnt as good as it was before they came into the league?

Since this is football, in 2006 the SEOAL had five playoff qualifiers; something never before done. So how could the SEOAL not be as strong as it once was?

Two SEOAL regional teams in basketball last year, and possibly two state qualifiers this year, but I guess the SEOAL isnt as strong as it once was and that needs to be said. I think you may have to go back to the 20s to see the last time a boys SEOAL team qualified for the state basketball tournament.

Are you ever right about anything?

Actually Nelsonville made it to the final two in the 50's. But, that was a loooooooong time ago. The SEOAL will be fine. And as you say, IS stronger than ever.

Return to “Football”