Finally the kids can practice on Monday!

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Finally the kids can practice on Monday!

Post by greygoose »

If school is starting up on time then sports should be starting up it's that simple. If school is delayed sports should be delayed the 2 go hand in hand, you can't say having sports poses the greater risk of spread than having school when at a given time there's 20 times the amount of people in an area than that of a sport being played. I mean guys can spew there numbers, ya'll act like it's shocking things have spiked, but the bottom line is schools start up in August so do the football games. Both will have some type rules put in place to try and combat the spread but if one goes on as is so does the other.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Columbus City schools announced blended Ed, meaning part attendance, part online for elementary. For H. S. Online. This will mean no sports. I’m hearing most schools up here are planning on going blended as well. That will mean no sports as well.

Many announcements coming soon.

Have gun, will travel
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Paladin wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:08 pm Columbus City schools announced blended Ed, meaning part attendance, part online for elementary. For H. S. Online. This will mean no sports. I’m hearing most schools up here are planning on going blended as well. That will mean no sports as well.

Part attendance for some columbus schools is still probably twice the amount of kids in class as compared to this area. Simply doing blended Ed, doesn't mean no sports, that's just an assumption on your part is all. I'm one that remains hopeful there will be but at the same time there's a 50/50 chance as I see it right now that there won't be. No kidding there's many announcements coming soon, that's like saying it's going to rain, I don't know when but it will sometime. I think some get confused with the passion that people on this site have because they believe sports will happen come hell or high water. Do we all want to see games of course, but I think the bull headed approach one group vs another group is being misunderstood, or it is in on my part. I can't speak for others who are talking about the need for sports or saying yes there will be but for me it's more of a I want the sports to happen or I'm hopeful it will happen for the kids sake. It's not going to effect my world but for some kids that's one of the reasons they deal with school is because they get to do something they love at the end of the day. I know of kids who going into this year had schools looking at them but wanted to see them do this or this in the off-season to make that school want them more or show that school they were willing to put the work in to try and earn a scholarship. These players were unable to attend camps and show off their improvements and if there isn't a season it could greatly effect their futures. That is why I'm hopeful we have sports, not because I want to visit different facilities see different players and sit in the stands and watch these young men go at it. Sports will be back sometime and I will be able to do that for years to come for some of these young men this is it, their time is now and there's no next year for a lot of them, this is why I remain hopeful. Not because I want to disagree and argue with others view points, but because I want to fight for the hope of the kids playing that their season will happen.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Paladin wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:08 pm Columbus City schools announced blended Ed, meaning part attendance, part online for elementary. For H. S. Online. This will mean no sports. I’m hearing most schools up here are planning on going blended as well. That will mean no sports as well.

So? This means nothing in regards to sports. It’s easier to social distant with high school students because they can learn online. Elementary not so well. I’m telling you this will kill public education if sports are canceled as well.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Many here agree that fans are out. Infections are up and fans are a risk group of adults. As to playing, even without fans, the outlook is sickness or positive tests of players /coaches will happen forcing quarantines and cancelled games . No way to stop that. The focus is on education, blended schedule, bussing, etc.My local board says 1% chance for sports. Many in the area agree.

Surveys Of parents up here have a low response for sports. Overwhelming influence for education. Decision time is near.

Have gun, will travel
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Paladin wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:52 pm Many here agree that fans are out. Infections are up and fans are a risk group of adults. As to playing, even without fans, the outlook is sickness or positive tests of players /coaches will happen forcing quarantines and cancelled games . No way to stop that. The focus is on education, blended schedule, bussing, etc.My local board says 1% chance for sports. Many in the area agree.

Surveys Of parents up here have a low response for sports. Overwhelming influence for education. Decision time is near.
Ok I have to ask since your local board says 1% chance of sports, are they practicing or have they all canceled?? I sure hope you get an overwhelming response to the education, LOL. Survey of parents up there low response to sports?? Yeah because not all are surveyed and if you send it to 1,000 parents and 100 have kids that play sports you're going to get a 10% response to sports but you'll get a 100% positive to education. 1% chance and they're still practicing aren't they?? Tells me all I need to know about the "local board" why they think it won't happen they still have zero clue if it will but are preparing like it will. I get most post are assumption in nature but don't pass them off as factual.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Why even let the kids practice if they don’t plan on playing?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Toz15 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:46 am IMO a persons stance on Covid is based solely on how they react to a set of given numbers presented to them. If told a global disaster was inevitable but 99% of the population would survive, basically little fanfare would accompany the news. Told a global disaster we couldn't do anything to stop would wipe out 78,000,000 people and you get the "OMG almost 80 million dead!!!". Its the same number...…. 1% of the global population. People just react differently. No one, from the beginning ever presented a number that I thought warranted the drastic overhaul of our day to day lives. There is no evidence of exponential growth, which would then perhaps cause a need for reaction. That just isn't there.

We're at less than 1% (2.5M) of the US population having even tested positive for this. Of course as testing increases, confirmation cases will rise..... so what? Unless hospitalization/deaths rise accordingly to testing..... so what? 125K deaths, that's less than 1/2 of 1% of the countries population. These numbers don't scare me. I doubt I'd react to 1% of the population (3.3M) dead from Covid. The numbers are infantile in the overall scope.

By percentages, a student athlete is more likely to die in a car accident on the way to practice than even contracting Covid. Since I don't see a thread demanding the complete restructuring of how those under the age of 18 travel to and from school/practice/ect….. I would think someone is just scared of big numbers without ever putting them in context to the subject.
You would start caring invariably when COVID-19 craters the health insurance sector and payment can't be collected from people who have died.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

EasternDspy wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:20 pm Why even let the kids practice if they don’t plan on playing?
EXACTLY, the answer is because they have NO IDEA what is going to happen. That's why you shouldn't make up your own numbers and pass them off as factual making those around you look like they're incompetent. At least I'll sit here and say I have no idea, I hope for the best but right now I see it as 50/50, to many teams getting themselves ready for schools to believe there's little to no chance of having a season.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

greygoose wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:30 pm

Part attendance for some columbus schools is still probably twice the amount of kids in class as compared to this area. Simply doing blended Ed, doesn't mean no sports, that's just an assumption on your part is all. I'm one that remains hopeful there will be but at the same time there's a 50/50 chance as I see it right now that there won't be. No kidding there's many announcements coming soon, that's like saying it's going to rain, I don't know when but it will sometime. I think some get confused with the passion that people on this site have because they believe sports will happen come hell or high water. Do we all want to see games of course, but I think the bull headed approach one group vs another group is being misunderstood, or it is in on my part. I can't speak for others who are talking about the need for sports or saying yes there will be but for me it's more of a I want the sports to happen or I'm hopeful it will happen for the kids sake. It's not going to effect my world but for some kids that's one of the reasons they deal with school is because they get to do something they love at the end of the day. I know of kids who going into this year had schools looking at them but wanted to see them do this or this in the off-season to make that school want them more or show that school they were willing to put the work in to try and earn a scholarship. These players were unable to attend camps and show off their improvements and if there isn't a season it could greatly effect their futures. That is why I'm hopeful we have sports, not because I want to visit different facilities see different players and sit in the stands and watch these young men go at it. Sports will be back sometime and I will be able to do that for years to come for some of these young men this is it, their time is now and there's no next year for a lot of them, this is why I remain hopeful. Not because I want to disagree and argue with others view points, but because I want to fight for the hope of the kids playing that their season will happen.
My work carries inextricable links to Columbus City Schools. If their high schools go entirely online, which is the plan, then a handful of these schools should cancel their football seasons immediately out of consideration for the teams they've scheduled. There are at least four or five programs that are barely hanging on (we're talking rosters of less than 25 players, some in the teens) pre-COVID... if there's no in-person instruction for the fall then that means there are several thousands of students who will not have been in a building since March. CCS will lose contact with too many of these students. A football coach at Briggs, for instance, is going to have NO CLUE who all is going to be on his roster in August... ditto the rest of the district. They won't know how many or who they might lose in September, or October.

I say none of this to say "the rest of Ohio isn't going to have football", because that's not my place to say or make judgments (nor do I personally think the entirety of Ohio will not have high school football played.) But, I'm pointing out how there will certainly be ripple effects if we're not going back to five days/week in-person learning... at least in the big cities. I'm skeptical 3 days out, 2 days in "blended" learning will be any different in the viability of football for many of these schools.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

I’ve said this before, but will repeat it - my son is on the local school board ( inside info ) and the district is home to the President of the Ohio H. S. Football Coaches Assn. they are practicing but everyone knows the score. County has 22 districts and Mahoning has 18. All are interconnected and in much agreement.

1% chance of football.

Have gun, will travel
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

I believe something will be released tomorrow. Maybe ? I coukd be wrong.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

greygoose wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:30 pm

Heart filled post goose!!

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Sballbball24/7
Riding the Bench

Post by Sballbball24/7 »

Paladin wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:44 pm I’ve said this before, but will repeat it - my son is on the local school board ( inside info ) and the district is home to the President of the Ohio H. S. Football Coaches Assn. they are practicing but everyone knows the score. County has 22 districts and Mahoning has 18. All are interconnected and in much agreement.

1% chance of football.
Not you no way...you’re really going to repeat something?..I find that hard to believe..and if football did happen to get canceled “up your way” what are you going to do say ha ha ha I was right and start doing cart wheels because you hate sports obviously..my guess is you took a lot of water to your teammates if you actually did participate in sports lol..and going back to percentages that you are mentioning we know one for sure..you’re 100% annoying..and there’s 0% of that changing

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Paladin wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:44 pm I’ve said this before, but will repeat it - my son is on the local school board ( inside info ) and the district is home to the President of the Ohio H. S. Football Coaches Assn. they are practicing but everyone knows the score. County has 22 districts and Mahoning has 18. All are interconnected and in much agreement.

1% chance of football.
If that happens, our leaders are straight up a$$hats and should be addressed as such for misleading a group of already fragile kids in a callous, vicious manner. I will be voicing that opinion in any manner I can to let them know my feelings, whether they care or not.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Sballbball24/7 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:46 pm

1% chance of football.
Not you no way...you’re really going to repeat something?..I find that hard to believe..and if football did happen to get canceled “up your way” what are you going to do say ha ha ha I was right and start doing cart wheels because you hate sports obviously..my guess is you took a lot of water to your teammates if you actually did participate in sports lol..and going back to percentages that you are mentioning we know one for sure..you’re 100% annoying..and there’s 0% of that changing
I know for sure Paladin played high school sports and in no way does he hate sports.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

noreply66 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:38 pm
Sballbball24/7 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:46 pm

1% chance of football.
I know for sure Paladin played high school sports and in no way does he hate sports.
He does now.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Sports are fine . Still have 2 more grandsons to go. But thats not the real issue. The real issue is some people can’t face reality, even when faced with a health emergency with life or death consequences. They would worship a game over the lives and health of everyone. That is the issue.

Deplorables

Have gun, will travel
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Paladin wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:05 pm Sports are fine . Still have 2 more grandsons to go. But thats not the real issue. The real issue is some people can’t face reality, even when faced with a health emergency with life or death consequences. They would worship a game over the lives and health of everyone. That is the issue.

Deplorables
Lol. The only guy I know who thinks sports will be the iceberg that sinks the ship but doesn’t give two thoughts on the cheeseburger lady who never changes her gloves. Give me a break. You continue to worship your all knowing future predicting leaders. An asteroid may hit the earth tomorrow. Might want to start on that bunker.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

A couple of stories that hint at the possibility of no football this fall have cropped up:

SC governor threatens no football this fall if covid cases continue to rise:

https://www.wspa.com/news/sc-governor-w ... e-to-rise/

Ivy League appears ready to move 2020 football season to spring 2021.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamzagori ... 31e03e6037

I know these stories do not directly effect Ohio, but they do show football as usual is not guaranteed.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels

Return to “Football”