Warren Local head football coach

CHUPALA!!!
Waterboy

Re: Warren Local head football coach

Post by CHUPALA!!! »

Poo Bear wrote:Right Don.

Heard the rockets hitting the weights hard this winter !
The question is....will they hit anyone week 1?

90goldeneagle
JV Team

Post by 90goldeneagle »

PurplePower wrote:I am hearing the guy used to play Major League Baseball.

Close, minus the Mc.

edforshey
Varsity

Post by edforshey »

for the 2nd time,
Who is this mystery guy?

Jim Ryan
JV Team

Post by Jim Ryan »

PurplePower wrote:I am hearing the guy used to play Major League Baseball.
Yes this has been confirmed to me. However, someone finally came to their senses because a person I mentioned in earlier threads has been contacted and being considered by at least a few people from Warren. So I'm not sure this is a done deal yet.

TOESTUBBER01
Riding the Bench

Post by TOESTUBBER01 »

the rumor I am hearing from the hs kids is they are going to offer it to Welsh who coached there for a year a good while back. He was only given one year - I think he went 4-6 that year. Not sure why they didn't give him more time. Just what I heard - nothing to back it up.

90goldeneagle
JV Team

Post by 90goldeneagle »

None of this is true. It is a done deal. The new coach will be here March 21.

rockcoach
Freshman Team

Post by rockcoach »

New hire is going to be Tim carver. He did not play major league baseball. High school coach for 30 years.

Ttomcat1000+
Waterboy

Post by Ttomcat1000+ »

That's a real coup getting a former major leaguer there for the kids. Can he coach football though?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

rockcoach wrote:New hire is going to be Tim carver. He did not play major league baseball. High school coach for 30 years.
If it's who I'm thinking of, he's coached like ten different jobs. I know he coached Fisher briefly along with being the coach at New Albany and St. Charles in the 80's.

Teufelhunden
Freshman Team

Post by Teufelhunden »

Ttomcat1000+ wrote:That's a real coup getting a former major leaguer there for the kids. Can he coach football though?
The question is whether or not the youth of warren will remember his playing days or if they will even remember Deion sanders dumping water on him?

90goldeneagle
JV Team

Post by 90goldeneagle »

This article was recently printed in the Marietta Times

Warren High hired Tim Carver as its new varsity head football coach at an evening board meeting on Monday, March 21.

He will be succeeding Anthony Fish, who "guided" the Warriors to a 1-19 overall record in two years at the helm. Last season, the royal blue and white gridders finished winless at 0-10 for the first time since the conclusion of both the 2002 and 2003 campaigns.

Last fall, Warren was blanked in six games, and scored only 34 points the entire season.

Fish's only Warren win came in his debut season when the Warriors defeated Marietta High, 19-8, in the second game of the 2014 campaign.

Not surprisingly, Fish's contract was not renewed at the end of the 2015 football year. Fish currently is a law enforcement officer in Athens.

Carver will be joining a football program which currently has an 18-game losing streak, and hasn't had a winning season since going 7-3 under the leadership of Jim Pifer in 2009.

Under four-year boss Andy Schob, the Warriors did break even in 2011 and 2010 with identical 5-5 marks. Schob has since moved on and is the principal at Fort Frye High School.

Since 2001, Warren has had - counting Carver, now - eight head football coaches.

No doubt, Carver is probably a little familiar with Warren's history on the football field. Can he turn things around?

Well, he's certainly going to try.

In some parts of the Buckeye State, where he's coached prep football for most of his career, he's known as the "Doctor of Sick Football."

If he can somehow resusitate Warren football, that may change to "Miracle Worker."

During several stops on his prep coaching journey, Carver started a football program, where there was none, at Pendleton County High in Kentucky.

When he was at Greenon, he knows what a winless season feels like, too.

He also has impressive credentials, having twice been named Champaign County Coach of the Year. Once, he was named D2 Southwest District Football Coach of the Year.

He's also received the OHSAA Victory Award.

Carver's never won a state title, and he's not promising Warren one, either.

Carver's primary objective will be to get Warren football back on its feet. And, yet, the Warriors may still lose more games than they win next season.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Decent article, although its written very weirdly. With the word guide being in scare quotes, and the "Not surprisingly, Fish's contract was not renewed", it implies either something behind the scenes was going on that the author knew about, or the author doesn't have an editor who cared to take it out.

SEOALlives
Riding the Bench

Post by SEOALlives »

formerfcfan wrote:Decent article, although its written very weirdly. With the word guide being in scare quotes, and the "Not surprisingly, Fish's contract was not renewed", it implies either something behind the scenes was going on that the author knew about, or the author doesn't have an editor who cared to take it out.
I'm with you on the point about "guided" in the article. But after he went 1-19 and lost 18 in a row it really is "not surprising" that he was not renewed. I'm just glad Warren didn't pull the ole Cut-N-Run from he SEOAL like some others have.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Warren takes a beating but keeps on ticking.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I'd love to see them turn it around!

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
alexanderriseup
Waterboy

Post by alexanderriseup »

good luck to warren

coach fish is a great man just a tough positon in the fulltime job he has

swamisez
JV Team

Post by swamisez »

Taken from an article in 2006

Carver has been Head Football Coach at Pendleton County High School the last four seasons. Like the task ahead at Bishop Brossart, Carver built the Wildcat program from scratch. In three years of varsity, Pendleton County improved each year. They were 3-5 in 2003, 5-5 in 2004 and 6-4 last season.

The new coach, during the last 25 years, has coordinated, organized and executed football camps for grade school and high school football players, coaching clinics as well as most aspects of high school football that includes fundraising, meet the team nights, banquets and organizing little league programs.

The new Mustang coach began his coaching career as an assistant coach in 1977 at Franklin Heights High School in Columbus, Ohio. He has spent 21 years in the coaching profession with 15 as a Head Coach.

His first Head Coaching opportunity came in 1982 at New Albany High School in New Albany, Ohio. He remained there thru the 1985 season.
Carver’s coaching stops have also included:
Lancaster Fisher Catholic High School, Lancaster, Ohio (1985-86)
West Liberty-Salem High School, West Liberty, Ohio (1986-88)
St. Charles Preparatory School, Columbus, Ohio (1988-92)
Benjamin Logan High School, Bellefontaine, Ohio (1994-95)
South Central High School, Greenwich, Ohio (1995-98)
Greenon High School, Springfield, Ohio (1999-2001(
And Pendleton County High School, Falmouth, Ky. (2001-05)

His past awards include:
1999 “Coach of the Year” in the Southwest Region of Ohio
1986 “Coach of the Year” in Champaign County, Ohio
Ohio High School Athletic Association Victory Award
Miami Valley Coaches Association Victory Award
2004 Pineville Classic Champion (Defeated Pineville 20-6)
He currently serves and was inducted into the Kentucky High School
Athletic Association Football Committee.

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-football-h ... 98023.html

The bold items indicate to me he sells himself as a program builder and culture creator. That is probably a good idea at this point. I have no idea what culture exists at Warren and I know that community perception is not good. I've been criticized in the past for calling the work ethic of the players into account, and I only did so because I know as a player I didn't give my best to the football program and the team because I was selfish and was never called to the carpet for it. Had I been forced to take some accountability for the football program, I would have walked away and the team probably could have benefited.

My hope is that Coach Carver fills the field with kids who want to sacrifice for the school and want to be part of something bigger, and that if there are persons who feel they are high caliber athletes who don't want to sacrifice for the football team, they be asked not to come, and devote their energy to their passion, be it another sport, or themselves.

Good luck Coach Carver.

wvabuckeye
Waterboy

Post by wvabuckeye »

I want to wish coach Carver the best of luck. Being a Warren grad I have hated seeing where a once very proud program has gone. If he is as good at resurrecting programs as they say he knows the work hes got to put in. Getting the kids there will be key, they've had some nice athletes recently.

Go Bucks! Go Bengals!
Go Cavs! Go Reds! Go Indians!
Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

I heard tonight warren local is having a football fundraiser and they are flying in Deion Sanders to dump water on the new coach like he did back in the baseball playoffs. Tickets are $5. This could be a lot of fun.

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.

Return to “Football”