Portsmouth West Senators 2012?

socman95
Waterboy

Re: Portsmouth West Senators 2012?

Post by socman95 »

West will be returning with much of their younger talent. O-Line has always been a strong point for the senators, and I expect it to be the same scenario agin. Let the boys up front win in for you. Backfield will be coming back young, but just as talented!

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

If Hinton gets Chillicothe better, that will help our schedule strength alot. It's got to get better anyway, just by removing South Point.

With the way the Harbin Points system is, and the competitiveness of Region 19, you have to be creative in your scheduling just to make the playoffs. Anywhere from 2-3 losses and your out of playoff contention. You need to play good schools, but more than anything you need to beat schools that win alot of games to get you second level points. Youngtown Ursuline was probably the best team in Division 5 this year, but they never got a chance at the playoffs because they overscheduled.

At a school the size of West, we need to be careful of overscheduling. I think that had alot to due with the dark years of the 90's. West was coming off of some really good teams and the undefeated team of 1990. Our talent dropped off, Tipton left, the schedule was too hard, and loosing began breading loosing.

I wouldn't mind us picking up 1 more tough game. Ironton would be fine, although I'm not sure two 2 T based teams beating ourselves stupid in the middle of the season is the best thing we need. Another spread team to learn to defend it may be a better alternative.

What I mean is look at Wheelersburg. They've been good for years. They played Ironton, we played Chesapeake. Other than that our schedules were mirror images of each other. From taliking to the AD, West could've got Jackson this year and really upped our schedule. But he didn't want to go too far with it, which was probably a good idea.

WestSideFan2002
Riding the Bench

Post by WestSideFan2002 »

We just need to worry about whos going to be where right now, I wouldnt want to play Ironton with three QB candidates, and we lost 11 seniors, Sophmores need to be ready, Howell boys(mean and solid sized kids, could be very good TE"s)could Morgan( Quaterback since jr. high and maybe before that but is he quick enough, he has a real good arm and a taller kid, Bricker(started Rb almost the whole playoff game) do to injury. Looked pretty good running the football, QB candidate, I like the idea also, maybe spread the ball a little more with him back there, but how is his arm ?) Reynolds(Started playoff game), Very mean kid and could be the the man to leaf the offensive line. Juniors, you will have to lead this year, most have been playing for 2 years. Anf knows what it takes to get to the playoffs. West Side Pride, Goodluck

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

siderman wrote:If Hinton gets Chillicothe better, that will help our schedule strength alot. It's got to get better anyway, just by removing South Point.

With the way the Harbin Points system is, and the competitiveness of Region 19, you have to be creative in your scheduling just to make the playoffs. Anywhere from 2-3 losses and your out of playoff contention. You need to play good schools, but more than anything you need to beat schools that win alot of games to get you second level points. Youngtown Ursuline was probably the best team in Division 5 this year, but they never got a chance at the playoffs because they overscheduled.

At a school the size of West, we need to be careful of overscheduling. I think that had alot to due with the dark years of the 90's. West was coming off of some really good teams and the undefeated team of 1990. Our talent dropped off, Tipton left, the schedule was too hard, and loosing began breading loosing.

I wouldn't mind us picking up 1 more tough game. Ironton would be fine, although I'm not sure two 2 T based teams beating ourselves stupid in the middle of the season is the best thing we need. Another spread team to learn to defend it may be a better alternative.

What I mean is look at Wheelersburg. They've been good for years. They played Ironton, we played Chesapeake. Other than that our schedules were mirror images of each other. From taliking to the AD, West could've got Jackson this year and really upped our schedule. But he didn't want to go too far with it, which was probably a good idea.

If the right coach would get the South Pont job they could be a team of the future.

It will take someone that has built teams from the ground up.

This would take someone with experince coaching, building programs and a players coach.

West6
Waterboy

Post by West6 »

I Believe we will be better next year "2012", than we were this year "2011"

SiderGuy12
Riding the Bench

Post by SiderGuy12 »

West6 wrote:I Believe we will be better next year "2012", than we were this year "2011"
I think that may be pushing it a little bit. This past years football was IMO one of the best to come through west here lately. Next years team will have some talent but I wouldn't be pushing it, because it's high school football and anything can happen. And no one wants to be eating crow at the end of the season.

High Plains Drifter
Freshman Team

Post by High Plains Drifter »

Won't see very many teams as smart as this years team. I was very impressed with them.

West6
Waterboy

Post by West6 »

Yeah it may be pushing it a little bit, but like you said "anything can happen in High School Football".

SiderGuy12
Riding the Bench

Post by SiderGuy12 »

Next years team will have some experience coming back with frye, Bricker, Reynolds, etc. I would like to see some changes to the oline as well. Example, put Brandon Scott on d and stick him there. I attended every game this year and I was impressed with the way Austin Bricker stepped up. He may be the man next year but these are just my opinions and plus it's way to early to tell

West6
Waterboy

Post by West6 »

Yes I agree that I would like to see many changes on the Oline as well, and I also think that they should switch players around and see you can play where and where the play the best at.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Don't you think the Coaches do this every year!

Also I think West team will need to hit the weight room I do not see as many skilled players on next years team as in the past.

West6
Waterboy

Post by West6 »

Yes they need to hit the weight room hard because every one of them will need to get bigger and faster for this year.

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

OSU 77 wrote:Don't you think the Coaches do this every year!

Also I think West team will need to hit the weight room I do not see as many skilled players on next years team as in the past.
There is just as many skilled players as there is every year, not sure where your looking in from?

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

I don't agree but you know West better than everyone else.

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

Better skill than people might think.

High Plains Drifter
Freshman Team

Post by High Plains Drifter »

In the same boat as valley, both lost too much last year to be as good. minford and burg will be front runners. IMO.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

I would still say we have a lot of skill, just a different type. Obviously it will be hard to replace two 1000 yard rushers, 1000 yard passer, and an explosive receiver in Summers, but we will have a different sort of skill next year. Justin Crace and Alec Meeker should step in to fill the shoes of Adam and Kyle. Crace and Meeker are both shorter/stockier power running backs, where as Adam was a good balance and Kyle was probably the fastest player in the league. Filling the shoes of Summers will be Austin Bricker who is a very intriguing player hes very quick, elusive and is tough to bring down. Obviously there will be a learning curve when switching from Morgan to Ratliff, but I believe Luke will step in and be very effective. Also theres the Howell twins at Rb who are both big bruising runners and Zach Frye who is a very good tight end.

I can see us reloading like we between 10 and 11, we lost some really good ones in Pendleton, Locher, Bricker, and Journey...but replaced them with players who had some experience. I also believe that the backs we have will be better suited for the T because of their size and strength.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

We will have just as good as team next season as we did last season that's my opinion. The line will be big and stong with some good experience probably will average 250 to 260. The backfield will be very good we will have 4 or 5 backs at about 200 and bigger and very strong hard runners. Not for sure on the qb but who ever it will be will do just fine. The d will be very good and physical and will be very hard to run the football on. The one thing that this years team had that next years team probably wont have is the ability to kick the ball in the endzone on the kickoffs.

BUCKEYE FAN 59
Waterboy

Post by BUCKEYE FAN 59 »

with Northwest moving to SOC I, is West taking them off the schedule and if so who would they be picking up in place? if Northwest was smart they would take West off the schedule, the whole point of moving to SOC I was to have a better chance at winning, losing to West by 50+ points isnt the smartest thing to do.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

West6 wrote:Yes they need to hit the weight room hard because every one of them will need to get bigger and faster for this year.

I agree with the statement who is the weight lifting Coach for West?

Return to “Football”