WEEK 8: Burg @ Minford

here4fun
Varsity

Re: WEEK 8: Burg @ Minford

Post by here4fun »

Well if the burg cant easily win against minford they stand no chance with valley or west thats a fact

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

Burg will beat Minford . just because . Not a hard pick, they always beat Minford.

here4fun
Varsity

Post by here4fun »

They better man handle them to contend with west and valley...!!!!!

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

ManitouDan wrote:Burg will beat Minford . just because . Not a hard pick, they always beat Minford.
Actually the falcons have beat burg 4 times since 2000. Although Burg clearly has the upper hand in the series since 2000, it is not out in left field for the falcons to win.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

mglight88 wrote:Reality is here. Sure Wheelersburg is not Northwest and nobody else is either. I hate to compare scores when comparing teams, but for what it is worth. Pirates beat Mohawks 34-7. Falcons did the respectful thing by kneeling on what could of been a 50-0 score, but the game score was 43-0.
Against Burg, scored in the fourth and stat wise 115 rushing on Burg, 102 passing for 217.
Against Minford, no score and only entered Minford once and stat wise the Mohawks 70 rushing: 21 passing for 91 total yards.
Both Minford and Wheelersburg can score points, run the ball very well and have shown signs of stingy defensive fronts.
Throw the records out in this rivalry. This game will be won by the team with fewer miscues.
I'll be rooting for the Falcons to fly just over the Pirates ship. 24-21.
All true point but you forgot a very important one. Northwest had just lost to Burg the week before in a game that they really thought they could compete in. I'm sure that Northwest didnt come into this game with the same fire they had the week before. After reading some of the post in the Burg vs. Northwest thread about the behavior of the Northwest players on the sidelines during the game to know they were not into this game. Furthermore anyone who knows sports knows that you can never compare common opponents in games like these.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

noles_fan wrote:
mglight88 wrote:Reality is here. Sure Wheelersburg is not Northwest and nobody else is either. I hate to compare scores when comparing teams, but for what it is worth. Pirates beat Mohawks 34-7. Falcons did the respectful thing by kneeling on what could of been a 50-0 score, but the game score was 43-0.
Against Burg, scored in the fourth and stat wise 115 rushing on Burg, 102 passing for 217.
Against Minford, no score and only entered Minford once and stat wise the Mohawks 70 rushing: 21 passing for 91 total yards.
Both Minford and Wheelersburg can score points, run the ball very well and have shown signs of stingy defensive fronts.
Throw the records out in this rivalry. This game will be won by the team with fewer miscues.
I'll be rooting for the Falcons to fly just over the Pirates ship. 24-21.
All true point but you forgot a very important one. Northwest had just lost to Burg the week before in a game that they really thought they could compete in. I'm sure that Northwest didnt come into this game with the same fire they had the week before. After reading some of the post in the Burg vs. Northwest thread about the behavior of the Northwest players on the sidelines during the game to know they were not into this game. Furthermore anyone who knows sports knows that you can never compare common opponents in games like these.
Similar to the lack of fire Florida State took into Wake Forest this week huh?

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

You also have to factor in that Minford had Northwest at home while the Burg had to play on that cow pasture that Northwest calls a football field. I never saw so many kids slip and fall like they did that night out there. Another thing to consider is Minford had a beatiful night to play last Friday while the night the Burg played Northwest was probably the miserable night for football so far this season with blowing rain and very cold temps.

Also take away the 70 yards on the one pass that was a busted play where the QB scrambled for his life and the LB's sucked in and the reciever got behind them and NW only has 147 total yards.

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

Well I guess we can't forget the elements that could cause poor conditions. Every team every season has to deal with soggy, windy, wet conditions at one point or another, so I quess if school districts were handed goverment grants to replace muddy, wet cow fields with field turf or better yet build indoor facilites, then I quess at that point there couldn't be any excuses as far as playing conditions go. The other thing mentioned was busted plays, sometimes they happen and you can't take away those from a team that either gives or takes away yardage or else every pass that hits a player in the hands and comes out, causes teams not to score more points than their defense gives up. It's all apart of the game of football.
Yes I agree. Northwest after Minford's first score of the night, I didn't see too much fire in the Mohawks and yes the week before was homecoming for Northwest and after losing on that special night would put any team's fire out. Again as I stated earlier, this will be a good game and great atmosphere for fans to be apart of and I look forward to seeing standing room only crowds in Minford this Friday.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

What I have seen from games is not your typical Minford. The center is great, 27 and 29 are decent but overall not as strong as recent past. Burg has issues as well but will have the best player on the field offensively which will put them ahead.

Burg 35 - Minford 14

And Northwest wouldn't beat Oak Hill. They have 1 player.

samiam
Waterboy

Post by samiam »

The BURG will most definitely have to stay focused and play hard to win this game. Because of the BURG'S winning tradition everyone wants to knock 'em off and consequently play harder against them than other teams. The BURG crowd needs to be there for their PIRATES!! GO BURG GO!!!!

valleyindians
Waterboy

Post by valleyindians »

Does it matter neither team makes playoffs or wins the SOC..

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

^^^^
Until week 11 shows those teams not playing then I will believe it.

Mr Basketball 14
Freshman Team

Post by Mr Basketball 14 »

Talk about comparing scores. Valley goes to Waverly on a rainy night and beats them 54-14 with JV playing the last 1 1/2 quarters and Waverly goes to Burg and is tied 14 all at the half. It is always tough to beat Burg especially at home but I think Burg is there for the taking this year. I don`t know if Minford has what it takes to beat Burg but I definitely think Valley has what it takes to beat Burg this year. Good luck to both teams not as big a game as last weeks Valley/West game but should still be a big crowd. My Pick Burg in a close one.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

^^^^^
Comparing scores is silly to do.

talent, motivation, coaching, game plan, turnovers, field position. Those are what you look at in a game.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Minford's line play was the best Friday vs Northwest than it has been since pre-season. I see it continuing, and that is going to be the difference in this game. Defensive ends have to stay at home, defensive line needs to get Shears in the backfield and get multiple helmets on him. IMO Burg's weak link is their line play. I see Minford winning that matchup.

I see Shears getting yards, but Minford's defense is not going to let him run crazy like some of the other Pirate opponents did. Minford has also played a much tougher schedule so far this year. That will be a key in the difference of this game. I am not sold on how good this 6-1 Burg team is this year as they havent played a team with a winning record since Ironton week 1. That one got ugly.

Burg 21
Minford 28

here4fun
Varsity

Post by here4fun »

I dont see either team making playoffs with minford at 12 and burg at 11 and neither one of these teams are going to win out just dont see it happening

Runner00
JV Team

Post by Runner00 »

If Minford can't get the offense going, Burg rolls. 3 and outs equal misfortune for the falcons. I anticipate seeing a little spice from the falcons offense this week.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Burg needs to just play one game at a time and not get caught looking ahead to the Valley, because if they do, Minford will beat them. Burg needs to jump on them quick like they did in last years game and take the momentum away from them.

I would like to see the Burg spread it out more on offense and go with the 5 wides to spread out the defense. Throw some bubble screens out of it or some little short passes so that Shears isn't running for his life trying to set up for a long pass. Everyone knows that the Burg line is still green but they have gotten better each week.

The Burg defense is highly underrated. Even though they were outmanned by Waverly's line by about 50 lbs per man, they were still in Waverly's backfield all night, especially in th 2nd half when Waverly wore down. Burg's DE's aren't the biggest kids in the world but man are they fast. I lost count the other night where when the ball was snapped they were past the tackles before they could even get out of there stances. I look for the same thing this week.

Good luck Pirates and remember, one game at a time boys. You have to win this first to even have a chance of playing on week 11.

ZacBrownBand
Varsity

Post by ZacBrownBand »

I think I'll take Burg in this one. Against West, Minford's lines didn't look very good at all. They were pretty well getting dominated on both sides of the ball. Burg seems to be getting better week by week. Aside from most of the first half against Waverly, they looked pretty good last week. Both teams have had better years in the recent past.

RogueWarrior
Riding the Bench

Post by RogueWarrior »

wobycat wrote:What I have seen from games is not your typical Minford. The center is great, 27 and 29 are decent but overall not as strong as recent past. Burg has issues as well but will have the best player on the field offensively which will put them ahead.
Yes indeed...as much as it pains me to admit it, Burg will win this one. While Burg may have young players this Minford team is nowhere near the teams Daniels' had the first 4 years and anyone that is honest will admit it. Nothing against the kids, but all the skills positions are slow for the most part and the line desperately needs more time in the weight room. West pointed out the weakness in the line and the backs are too small, to slow and to weak to get yardage on their own against a good team. This is a down year in Muletown and it happens. Hopefully after another year of maturity and another year in the weight room will result in a team that Minford became used to the past 4 years. Kudos to the coaches or Minford would not have the record they have.

Return to “Football”