Portsmouth athletic complex finally started!

sportsfan43
JV Team

Re: Portsmouth athletic complex finally started!

Post by sportsfan43 »

as long as the FOOTBALL filed is complete.

thats all that will matter, they could care les about any other sports.

now,I hear there will not be a new track?

softballlife16
Waterboy

Post by softballlife16 »

The orginal plans on the first page of this topic ran almost $15 million. So thats why it was modified! You are getting a football stadium, baseball field, tennis courts and outdoor basketball courts. And how much will it cost the tax payers or the school district? Not one dime!!!!!!!!!!!!! The ten million was donated!!!!!!!!!!! Thats why they have to keep it under budget!!!!! Who's will it be once it is completed?? THE PORTSMOUTH TROJANS!! If you have to pay $10,000 a year to lease it. The school district will lease it from theirselves! I have never heard so much negativity over someone getting 10 million dollar donation when there is other programs in our area that would love to get $1,000 donation. At these economic times you cant be too picky! I mean the doner could have said give 10 schools a million dollars! I agree with whoever said be patient,I am sure you will be impressed when its completed!

Anyway, I heard they are shooting for asphalt around field, turf, stadium lights and bleachers to be completed by mid may, that is weather permittng.

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote:Also can we use a sled on the turf without tearing it up?

You can use sleds on field turf (or equivalent) without hurting the surface.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

brisco darlin wrote:Portsmouth would have been better off to put the money into Branch and Spartan stadium.
I agree

I know that several people on here seems to think that I am taking a very negative outlook on the donation of the 10 million dollars. I think the donation of 10 million dollars would be fantastic if it had no strings attached. Why is the money only to be used for new construction? I know some of you are going to say that it is because Spartan Stadium is falling down and are unsafe. Even though the school hadn't looked at Spartan to check it's safty prior to the donation. Evidently the school doesn’t think that Spartan is to bad or they wouldn't have continued to use it these past 2 years if it was so unsafe, and I bet the 7th and 8th grade continue to use the locker room. Somehow it's safe enough for us to use right now (and for ND to continue to use) and my guess for the 7th and 8th grade to use, but it is unsafe for the high school and is beyond the point of fixing? Sounds a little fishy don’t it?

2nd why does the donor have to own the complex and lease it to us for $10,000 a year? Doesn't that seem the least bit odd to anyone? I do not know what the reasoning behind this is but it seems to me that if this is a "DONATION". Webster’s dictionary defines a donation as the making of a gift especially to a charity or public institution b: a free contribution. That’s right a free contribution meaning no lease agreement of $10,000 a year. I have never heard of a situation where someone "DONATES" money with so many strings attached.

3rd anyone familiar with the program can tell you that PHS has not paid the rental fee to the city for the use of the stadium in some time. Why you may ask? Well it's simple we just don't have the money to do so. The teams at the high school do well to get new uniforms every few years and cover travel expenses. If it wasn't for the boosters and the Mothers club it would be next to impossible for the athletic department. So where is this money for the lease coming from? It has to be taken away from somewhere. Also on a side note the mothers club will not have the money they once had as they will not be able to have a concession stand in the new stadium. It is a well know fact that football is the only sport that makes money at PHS, bball does in good years but hasn't for a while. Crowds have obviously dropped at football games to the point where they may no longer be able to support themselves let alone other sports. We can not set here and hope we have a winning season so we can pay our bills. The point I am making is plain and simple we do not have an extra $10,000 lying around each year. The way I see it the $10,000 a year lease will bankrupt the athletic department so badly that we will be forced to go to a pay to play within 10 years after the opening of the complex. If this happens it will be the end of athletic at PHS, because kids will transfer out to other schools.

4th what happens when this new complex starts to show age? We won’t have the money to renovate it, and I highly doubt it that another multi million dollars is coming up.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

battlecats wrote:its coming along nicely. anyone have any new pics?

we was down by there the other day, and they have really been going at it, a lot of the field house is already blocked up, and looks like the fielld it self is leveled out, I seen some sort off wall being bilt along the back side ...lots of work going on.

I will try to get down and get more pics soon.

battlecats
JV Team

Post by battlecats »

it looks like they are using the old huge stones that were part of that old shoe factory they tore down years ago, im not sure what they are doing with them but i like that they are using them, it will make the stadium more unique and shave off costs.

Incognito
Varsity

Post by Incognito »

battlecats wrote:it looks like they are using the old huge stones that were part of that old shoe factory they tore down years ago, im not sure what they are doing with them but i like that they are using them, it will make the stadium more unique and shave off costs.

Are you sure one of those stones wasnt the infamous Indian Head Rock? :lol:

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Incognito wrote:
battlecats wrote:it looks like they are using the old huge stones that were part of that old shoe factory they tore down years ago, im not sure what they are doing with them but i like that they are using them, it will make the stadium more unique and shave off costs.

Are you sure one of those stones wasnt the infamous Indian Head Rock? :lol:

:lol: .....

hmmmmm

Trooper
Freshman Team

Post by Trooper »

Snake wrote:This is going to be the best facility in Ohio after its completed.

...I don't know.

This facility might have the slight edge. It's a practice facility right next door to Paul Brown Tiger Stadium.

http://www.www.massillontigers.com/pld_facility.htm

Nonetheless, it looks like Portsmouth will still have a dandy of a facility.

Incognito
Varsity

Post by Incognito »

Trooper wrote:

...I don't know.

This facility might have the slight edge. It's a practice facility right next door to Paul Brown Tiger Stadium.

holy crap! :shock:

piratepride05
Freshman Team

Post by piratepride05 »

Incognito wrote:
Trooper wrote:

...I don't know.

holy crap! :shock:

My roomie played for Massilon Washington, he said "They REALLY want a State Championship in Massilon"

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

looking out the front door of the ribber :mrgreen:

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

from the north endzone.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

home bleachers will start at top of the wall.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

front of field house.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

really bad picture, of the dugouts, for the b aseball field. :oops: :oops:

Snake
Waterboy

Post by Snake »

Opps! maybe I shouldn't of said that it would be the best in Ohio... Lets just say it wil be pretty nice. (lol.) Let's just wait and see how it turns out. It surely can't compete with the one you just showed. But for a little school in southern Ohio, it will be one of the best around here.

battlecats
JV Team

Post by battlecats »

i think it would be sweet tp paint some murals in the two squares on thee back of the fieldhouse since portsmouth loves her murals.

Fun in the Sun
Freshman Team

Post by Fun in the Sun »

any updated pictures ..........

NICKNEVADA
All Conference

Post by NICKNEVADA »

This all sounds like a great place for our kids to play, and I hope so but it also reminds me of the MART...'S fiasco!! fill in the letters!

Return to “Football”