Gallia Academy Marietta J.V. Game a touch of class

kvnchambers
Varsity

Gallia Academy Marietta J.V. Game a touch of class

Post by kvnchambers »

Just got home from the game. Gallia Academy won tonight's game 64 to 34. But that is not what this post is about. During the 4th quarter of tonight's game. with about 3 minutes to go in the game. Marietta called time out and put in a special needs kid. On the next play Marietta snapped ball and the kid was able to run a 52 yard touchdown. It was a nice moment for all. What made this a little different from most of these moments you see was the gallia academy team did just not take a knee and embarrass the kid by letting him run down the field alone. they hit there line man sustained there assignments and gently jogged after the kid.

They put forth enough effort for about the first 10 yards i thought what is happening here. Then as they got further down field it became obvious, fans from both sides applauded when my son got in car tonight he was happier about taking part in that then the rest of the win. I think that says a lot and i hope he keeps that outlook on life for a long time.

I know nothing about the boys situation or story or boys name from Marietta if anyone knows his story i would like to here it. just thought i would share my experience

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Gallia Academy Marietta J.V. Game a touch of class

Post by Ironman92 »

Those happenings are always chilling.

Nothing tops the autistic kid scoring 20+ in just a few minutes at the end of the game drilling 6 or 7 threes....closer to home Waverly allowed a Northwest kid to score a long TD in a blowout several years back.....it won an ESPY Award and is in the trophy case at Northwest HS.

Mighty Mighty Devils
All Conference

Post by Mighty Mighty Devils »

Very nice to give a child with special needs a special moment he will remember forever as will all the players as well hats off to both teams an coaches

mhsfootballfan
Waterboy

Post by mhsfootballfan »

Very nice thing Gallia did last night. I don't feel comfortable putting the boys name out here but he is a nice young man. He's a sophmore at MHS and all the players have taken him under their wing. Tell your son that it was special for our players also and is much appreciated. I'm sure his parents are over come with joy. A beatiful moment it what has been a dismal year for MHS football.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

ImageImage

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

By far the best post I've read this season. Congratulations to the young man and to both teams for making it happen.

MariettaPride21
S

Post by MariettaPride21 »

The young man was Darian Latham-
he is in ms.donleys class @ mhs

That really does show the class of the Gallia kids and coaches!

trust me this kid will remember it forever!
Last edited by MariettaPride21 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

buckcraze
JV Team

Post by buckcraze »

I have family that works with special needs children and I have volunteered with her for the last twenty years. Things like this mean so much to children with special needs it is unbelieveable. I applaud all involved, both schools, both teams, both programs, ther kids, and the young man for having the courage to try. Both communities should hold their heads high for a long time no matter what their varsity record is. Class is hard to come by somtimes in our society, and this in my opinion is the epitome of class!

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Props to all involved!

81dendmhs74
JV Team

Post by 81dendmhs74 »

We Adults can take a lesson from the kids. Hats off to Gallia...

rut151
Freshman Team

Post by rut151 »

kvnchambers wrote:Just got home from the game. Gallia Academy won tonight's game 64 to 34. But that is not what this post is about. During the 4th quarter of tonight's game. with about 3 minutes to go in the game. Marietta called time out and put in a special needs kid. On the next play Marietta snapped ball and the kid was able to run a 52 yard touchdown. It was a nice moment for all. What made this a little different from most of these moments you see was the gallia academy team did just not take a knee and embarrass the kid by letting him run down the field alone. they hit there line man sustained there assignments and gently jogged after the kid.

They put forth enough effort for about the first 10 yards i thought what is happening here. Then as they got further down field it became obvious, fans from both sides applauded when my son got in car tonight he was happier about taking part in that then the rest of the win. I think that says a lot and i hope he keeps that outlook on life for a long time.

I know nothing about the boys situation or story or boys name from Marietta if anyone knows his story i would like to here it. just thought i would share my experience
What a refreshing post, I thank you for it. I played ,coached for years and now a parent on the sidelines. Your post should remind us all that there are great kids in every school and to count our blessings. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

npeifer
Freshman Team

Post by npeifer »

Those wonderful moments are too few and far between. Congrats to both schools for taking the opportunity to touch lives.

MHS_Soccer_Dad
Freshman Team

Post by MHS_Soccer_Dad »

well done by both schools...awesome to see the coaches and players put a special moment in a that players life above the game!!

bucks_09
Freshman Team

Post by bucks_09 »

It gave me chills reading this. We get on here and talk bad about other teams all week long myself included, and dont realize just how lucky we really are. Hats off to both schools and players and teams for allowing this to happen. That is something that young man will remember the rest of his life.

MttaFan
Freshman Team

Post by MttaFan »

These are the things that make high school sports a great lesson in life.

Great job to everyone.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I take care of my special need sister and I know what this mint to this young man.
Great thing that both schools did.

cpatiger
Waterboy

Post by cpatiger »

A wonderful bright spot in a dismal Tiger season. It would have been great to see.

wildthingRV
All Conference

Post by wildthingRV »

Class. Pure class. Hats off to him and to all those guys involved.

Return to “Football”