Screwin the OHSAA

Pol pot
SE

Re: Screwin the OHSAA

Post by Pol pot »

camnott wrote:All I can say is that I agree with Sprinter as far as the schools should get the bulk of the ticket sales not OSHAA. Go to the OSHAA website and read the playoff stats state wide and see how many games are played and the average attendance state wide. Thats ALOT of money going straight to OSHAA. What exactly does that amount of money go towards?
Just some questions that need to be asked. The schools are charging to participate in some cases and are relying on booster organizations to cloth the kids in some cases.
I guess that I just believe that there are good organizations like OSHAA that are needed but sometimes they out grow themselves and loose track of the big picture.
And that money goes towards hosting Championship Tournaments in all sports, and paying expenses for tournaments that are by nature not revenue producers. The revenues go towards insurance, training, education, scholarships, salaries. The world of athletics does not begin and end with just football.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

sprinter14 wrote:Pol Pot, this isn't about saving a buck. I have to drive from south of Chillicothe to Adena High School and spend $10 or $12 in gas. I'm buying a grand total of 4 tickets (2 Friday-2 Saturday) so I guess I am saving $8 but spending $10 or $12 to do it.

It's about principles and getting your priorities in line. I'm choosing to allocate MY money where I see fit. As for it being "theft" well, looks to me like the OHSAA needs to get their s**t together and build a better system to thwart people like me who are trying to HELP a school.
Your principals are about how I can save money buying tickets, if you are that concerned about the funding of Adena High School write Adena a check, give them a donation, I am sure they would accept any amount you'd like to give.

You can make your check payable to: Adena High School Athletics, c/o Holly Jett, 3367 County Road 550
Frankfort, 45628

sprinter14
Varsity

Post by sprinter14 »

Pol Pot wrote:
camnott wrote:All I can say is that I agree with Sprinter as far as the schools should get the bulk of the ticket sales not OSHAA. Go to the OSHAA website and read the playoff stats state wide and see how many games are played and the average attendance state wide. Thats ALOT of money going straight to OSHAA. What exactly does that amount of money go towards?
Just some questions that need to be asked. The schools are charging to participate in some cases and are relying on booster organizations to cloth the kids in some cases.
I guess that I just believe that there are good organizations like OSHAA that are needed but sometimes they out grow themselves and loose track of the big picture.
And that money goes towards hosting Championship Tournaments in all sports, and paying expenses for tournaments that are by nature not revenue producers. The revenues go towards insurance, training, education, scholarships, salaries. The world of athletics does not begin and end with just football.
Pot, you bring up a good point. I participated in sports that were not "revenue producing" so I can appreciate your point. But you need to keep in mind that I am not getting into games for free here or trying to sneak in. The OHSAA is still getting a healthy chunk of my money but why is it fair that I can't buy a presale ticket because of my location? Why not have a "will call" window? I can tell you why, because OHSAA KNOWS that most people are not going to do what I am doing (extra driving) and they will sell a lot more $9 tickets than they will $7 tickets (of which they only get about $5).

sprinter14
Varsity

Post by sprinter14 »

I plan on attending their fund raiser dinner/pep rally tomorrow night, so I will be making my donation, buying tickets, and supporting a school my kid does not go to and I did not graduate from.

My business does do well in Frankfort, so I'm glad to help them out.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Sprinter that has nothing to do with it at all! The people putting these events on all have day jobs, other responsibilities, these are not professional venues with full time staffs, ticketing systems, and the ability to run things like Nationwide Arena, Huntington Bank Ball Park, OSU. In short these schools are not ticketmasters, and they do not want to be ticket masters. For another thing the fan base in inherently lazy! Some of these schools will sell less one roll of tickets for a football game, and will have more people pay full price than give to their schools, that is just a simple fact. Like I said, you have a legit concern about your local school, give a donation.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

sprinter14 wrote:I plan on attending their fund raiser dinner/pep rally tomorrow night, so I will be making my donation, buying tickets, and supporting a school my kid does not go to and I did not graduate from.

My business does do well in Frankfort, so I'm glad to help them out.
That's great, however it is NOT a donation if you are receiving benefits from the money. Have a real heart and send a check with no strings attached, no dinner, no entertainment, no chance of winning something. Practice a little of that G.O.P. Christian Charity and give a little.

sprinter14
Varsity

Post by sprinter14 »

Wow Pot, never thought someone would take this so personal.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Not taking anything personal, I actually think that it's hilarious that you take this personally enough to start a thread with a derogatory heading about an organization that you obviously fail to understand. And how $2.40 cents can really get you all worked up.

sprinter14
Varsity

Post by sprinter14 »

Well Pot, rather than guess and wonder, I went to the source. And I must say, I was pleasantly surprised.

I spoke with an OHSAA southeast district official on the phone and he made a few calls and returned my call.

Accoding to him, "OHSAA WANTS people to buy pre-sale tickets" or so they tell the schools that.

They have been asked my very question before and they said they know that it can and does happen and they have no policy in place to stop it or to encourage it.

The only difference in tickets for this weekends games is a slight variation in color for each division. However, a D-IV ticket for Ironton/Amanda is identical to a ticket for Westfall's game, but the D-V Adena game will be slightly different color.

The exact quote I got was "we don't care, all the money goes to the same place in the end anyway" and he went on to say, they just hoped more people kept coming.

They also said they had considered making it universal tickets, but one fear they had was one school running out of tickets because of their location to too many playoff games.

To set it completely straight, they were not saying to go buy extra tickets and use them wherever, they said it would be safest to buy tickets at each game, BUT, they know it goes on and they can't stop it, so we are on our own.

PUNKUNHEAD
Riding the Bench

Post by PUNKUNHEAD »

I dont ave as big a problem with OHSAA, as I do with all the over priceing of things at The Convo at O.U.,,, it cost you 19.99 for a hot dog pop and chips at the food stations for a high school basketball game.

that why we always take a group of 8 to 10,,buy 1 ticket and one person goes in and sneaks to the first door that is not being attended and lets the rest of us in :mrgreen:

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Sprinter you are right they do want people buying pre-sale, however tickets at many venues are different, and you run a risk. As for your District Board person, the Football Championships are run by the OHSAA NOT the District Board. the District Board is the one who does all the other events. That's a simple fact you can find on the OHSAA website. I guess you still are not going to donate any money to my Almater the Adena Warriors huh? Cheap skate!

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Big papa, just bring your own food in. Last year we ordered pizza and had Papa Johns deliver them to the side door by the river, just propped the door open and got $5 pies. Can't beat that! No way am I paying those concession prices, I usually pack my own, but we were there all day Sunday and decided to order "in"....LOL

camnott
Varsity

Post by camnott »

Pol Pot wrote:Big papa, just bring your own food in. Last year we ordered pizza and had Papa Johns deliver them to the side door by the river, just propped the door open and got $5 pies. Can't beat that! No way am I paying those concession prices, I usually pack my own, but we were there all day Sunday and decided to order "in"....LOL
And your dogging Sprinter!
I agree with you all about the outragous consession prices but you sure are being hard on sprinter for basically the same thing.

sprinter14
Varsity

Post by sprinter14 »

camnott wrote:
Pol Pot wrote:Big papa, just bring your own food in. Last year we ordered pizza and had Papa Johns deliver them to the side door by the river, just propped the door open and got $5 pies. Can't beat that! No way am I paying those concession prices, I usually pack my own, but we were there all day Sunday and decided to order "in"....LOL
And your dogging Sprinter!
I agree with you all about the outragous consession prices but you sure are being hard on sprinter for basically the same thing.
Yeah, that's the Pol Pot callin the kettle black!

I can't believe I'm being dogged for helping a school out..... and I don't know why Pot took it so personal, not once did I try to make him look bad.

Well at least I decided to go to the source and get an answer. I decided to it was time to "S#!% or get off the Pol Pot" on this subject.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Sprinter, thanks for showing your ignorance! I pay full price to get into the game. However there is NO sign posted at the Convo (to my knowledge) that outside food and beverage is NOT permitted. So I am not "Screwin" anyone, I am simply excercising my right as a consumer. There is a difference! Now if there were signs, policies and announcements stating this, then that would be different. Next weak argument please!!!!

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

sprinter,
I think his problem is with your thread title. jmo as i dont see any other reason for his negativity on this subject.

sprinter14
Varsity

Post by sprinter14 »

Pol Pot wrote:Sprinter, thanks for showing your ignorance! I pay full price to get into the game. However there is NO sign posted at the Convo (to my knowledge) that outside food and beverage is NOT permitted. So I am not "Screwin" anyone, I am simply excercising my right as a consumer. There is a difference! Now if there were signs, policies and announcements stating this, then that would be different. Next weak argument please!!!!

Okay, your above post proves you are losing it and the next jacket you need will be a straight jacket. I never said anything about the Convo or anything about you. Why would you direct that at me? Someone else brought up that stuff.

But, I did the right thing and called OHSAA and there are no "signs or policies" to prohibit me buying a ticket at Westfall and using it at Amanda. But I WAS at the OU game last night and you are NOT permitted to bring in outside food or beverages......that probably holds true for the Convo as well, so I think you need to do the right thing, make some calls to OU and realize that you LOST this arguement.

Game over

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

So Sprinter I can buy me a ticket at westfall and go to Adenas game with it correct?
And Pol Pot there is a policy at OU that NO OUTSIDE DRINKS OR FOOD IS ALLOWED in the CONVO or the football stadium.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Never seen that sign mstgmom, I'll look for it next spring. And if so, I will stop that practice, as that would be wrong.

Sprinter, I addressed you, placed a period at the end of the sentence then moved on to the other poster who said they sneak into games because the concessions cost too much.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

Pol Pot,

May I ask why you seem to be pretty passionate in defending the OHSAA? I'm not passing judgement in either direction. And, my question is just based on my take of your posts. I could be completely wrong. But, I was kind of curious as this debate has lasted quite a while. Thanks in advance.

Return to “Football”