Week 10: Jackson (9-0) vs. Gallia Academy (6-3)

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Re: Week 10: Jackson (9-0) vs. Gallia Academy (6-3)

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

Ironman92.....According to the information as provided to me by Randy Heath (Jackson football historian), the records of those mid 1950s Jackson teams you reference are as follows:

1953 — 8-1-1
1954 — 10-0
1955 — 9-1
1956 — 9-1

So they couldn't have won 25 in a row.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Regular season they could have. 1954 10-0 and it looks like they could've won up to 8 in a row to finish 1953 and up to 9 in a row to start 1955....could've won up to 27 in a row, but quite sure they won 25 in a row. So Randy is not wrong but the little mention in the paper is. Not a big deal either way. If I'm wrong, oh well....been wrong before.

GAHS83
JV Team

Post by GAHS83 »

96STROKER wrote:Thats going to b a tough task 83 but good luck to the academy and an injury free game for all Go red!!!!!!
I don't think anyone in Gallipolis thinks that beating Jackson won't be a tough task.

coyote26
Riding the Bench

Post by coyote26 »

My dad was on the '56 team and I believe my uncle was on some of the other ones. I will call him later today to see if he can recall if there was such a streak.

GAHS83
JV Team

Post by GAHS83 »

kvnchambers wrote:I might be totally crazy and the only one that thinks this but i don't think we have any idea what gallia academy's offense will look like this week. in watching games the last two weeks it has been obvious to me that we have purposely tried to build other threats into our offense other then Brandon Taylor. Not saying we weren't doing our best to win those games but it seemed to me those 2 offensive games were not about scoring a lot of points it was about trying different things. Establishing different weapons.
kvnchambers wrote:I thought the coaching staff have done an excellent job of game planning all year, we have just missed on the execution of some of those plans.
I won't disagree that we haven't been able to execute the gameplan much of the year, but I'll disagree that we've done a good job game planning. ANY offense will work if it is executed well. However, the coaches' job is to design a gameplan that best fits our personnel and plays to our strength and takes advantage of our opponents' weaknesses. We haven't done that well at all. Our coaches seem to come into each game with a plan to NOT have to pound the ball between the tackles and only seem to go to it once their initial plan isn't successful.

Out of our first 9 plays last week, which were two possessions, Taylor only ran the ball once and we threw 4 or 5 times. We went no where with one drive ending in an interception and the other with a punt. On the third drive, we finally decided to pound the ball a bit and marched right down the field. However, once we got down close, we just couldn't stick with what worked and just had to throw and threw an interception that went for a TD that was luckily called back for a block in the back. Even though we scored 27 points against Warren, we didn't score in the first quarter and we could have easily scored twice. It is almost like our offensive coaches just can't stand to pound the ball in a boring, ball-control offense and will only go to that as a last resort. I think it is boring too, but that is the offense that fits our personnel and we need to embrace that as our identity.

If we start slow like we did vs. Warren against Jackson, we don't have a chance.

Warpig
Freshman Team

Post by Warpig »

According to the unpublished "History of Jackson Football" compiled by Assistant Coach Pete Woods in 2002. Jackson's longest winning streak is 25 regular season games from October 2, 1953 to October 28, 1955

JTownie
Waterboy

Post by JTownie »

This game is over before the GAHS bus even starts up the hill. 10-0 baby!!! 5 games to State!!!

Ironmannut07
Varsity

Post by Ironmannut07 »

^^^ now let's not get ahead of ourselves we have a good team this year and they have done everything right by not looking ahead on any team they have played and we darn sure can't start with this gallia team there are gonna be tough like they are every year they want revenge for the thrashing we put on them last year on there senior night and they want nothing more then to ruin ours and get part of that seoal championship and a possible birth in the playoffs. With that being said I believe our ironmen can take care of business Friday night they are gonna have to play the full 4 quarters and come out swinging with a chip on there shoulder like they still have something to prove like they have all year long!!!
Let get it ironmen make it 10-0 and get them white letterman jackets do it for your home town do it for the community the coaches and most importantly do it for your selves keep it rolling big red!!!

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

Gallia is no push over for sure Jackson should win this game but if Gallia comes in and controls the line of scrimmage and controls the clock they could sneak out with a win.
Should be a great game and I pray both teams come out healthy regardless of the winner.

camnott
Varsity

Post by camnott »

The Ironmen will put up big numbers this game! :122246
The defense will be like non Gallia has seen this year! :oops:
GO BIG RED :aaaaa26
10 and 0 BABY

GAHS83
JV Team

Post by GAHS83 »

JTownie wrote:This game is over before the GAHS bus even starts up the hill. 10-0 baby!!! 5 games to State!!!
camnott wrote:The Ironmen will put up big numbers this game!
The defense will be like non Gallia has seen this year!
Go preach that message to your team! I hope they all have that attitude going into the game!

ironmen85
Riding the Bench

Post by ironmen85 »

The Ironmen will be focused for this game they know what is at stake they will not take the blue devils lightly. I still see Jackson winning this one though I don't want to give a score but it'll be a good game. GO RED!!!!!!!!!!!!

JTownie
Waterboy

Post by JTownie »

Just a side note, heard the Wellston Pee-Wee teams went to the Super Bowl this year. Congrats boys! Now when the good kids from Wellston come to play with the couple good ones from Jackson and the rest of the kids, the Ironmen will just keep reloading for years to come!!! ;-)

camnott
Varsity

Post by camnott »

Don't hate

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

once again i could be totally wrong here, but i don't think gallia academy or many teams now days can line up and just run the ball between the tackles and win. You might go a drive or 2 but then team are going to load the box against you and make you beat them somewhere else.

I think are coaching staff realizes this. That is why we have approached games differently. I really think that you are going to see an offense that is going to surprise you this week. I think we will be much more dynamic and explosive then a lot of people think.

I think it is funny that some people talk about coach eddy being such a micro-manager and everything running through him. i sometimes wonder if those people even watch the games. I thought it was interesting to see coach Eddy for the second Friday night last week not put a head set on for the entire game. the other game was wellston It looked to me like each of those first to drives were scripted plays. Not positive but pretty positive. several of those plays we did not signal in from the sideline or run a play in, in or out of the huddle. then after that even when we began to run very few of those running plays on Friday night were between the tackles. i guess they might of been off tackle but not a lot straight up the middle.

As far as the pick six throw you are right a horrible play call. I hate that flat late pass close to the end zone. if your not throwing that ball to back of end zone it needs to be a quick 3 step drop. or a huge percentage of the time it ends bad no matter who the team is throwing it.

I have no idea what the game plan will be like friday but i think i would like to see us come out some and spread to open up the middle a little bit. Run the no huddle that we ran some against ironton and run out of that formation. Then if they don't play that honestly i think we will have the opportunity to make plays in the passing game. I would like to not see it in the air as much as ironton game. but when we have have the oppurtunity we must connect. i have scene a few quick passes the last few weeks and that is what will be effective here and then yards after catch.

don't ask me why maybe i am just an optimist but i see gallia putting up 24 to 31 points in this game taylor having 100 yards. us having another 100 yards rushing in addition to that. and us connecting on like 7 of 13 passes for like close to 100 yards.

if we just line up in wing-t and go after them i dont think we can beat them. We have to be dynamic this week to win and we must do somethings that might not be our strengths. i thinking spreading the field and changing formations will help.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

GAHS83 wrote:
Go preach that message to your team! I hope they all have that attitude going into the game!
I can assure you that Coach Hall, his staff, and the Ironmen do NOT share the same attitude as some of the posters on here. They are fully aware of what this rivalry means and they know that Gallia Academy will put forth their best effort of the season on Friday night.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Jackson's 7th and 8th grade teams completed perfect 8-0 seasons tonight against Gallia Academy. The 7th grade won 56-26, while the 8th grade won 12-0. Congratulations to both squads! Very nice to see Coach Hall and the varsity Ironmen there to support the younger guys. Now let's see another perfect season on Friday!

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

ironman02 wrote:Jackson's 7th and 8th grade teams completed perfect 8-0 seasons tonight against Gallia Academy. The 7th grade won 56-26, while the 8th grade won 12-0. Congratulations to both squads! Very nice to see Coach Hall and the varsity Ironmen there to support the younger guys. Now let's see another perfect season on Friday!

Congratulations on that. Does Jackson host all the Gallia teams up there this week. i know the freshmen are up there tomorrow night. Well now i think of it we already played the JV team down here in like week 2 or 3. hard to believe that this is week 10.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Yep, JV was a while back. Freshman game is at 5:30 tomorrow night in Jackson, I believe.

Senior Tackle for the Ironmen is at 6:00 at the middle school field. Last full regular season practice for a great group of Seniors.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

I would have to go back and check some records in the basement, but I think in 1956, Gallipolis upset Jackson 12-6 at Jackson, snapping a Jackson winning streak. I had just been drafted by Uncle Sam and was stationed at Ft. Chaffee, Ark., when that happened. Jay Simms and company turned the trick. Blue Devils weren't very good that year, but they beat the SEOAL champs.

Seems Ironmen fans had put tomb stones in the endzones dressed as Devils since it was around Halloween.

Clarence Thompson was Gallia Academy's coach. I believe Gene Slaughter was stiil JHS coach.

Return to “Football”