Week 10: Jackson (9-0) vs. Gallia Academy (6-3)

coyote26
Riding the Bench

Re: Week 10: Jackson (9-0) vs. Gallia Academy (6-3)

Post by coyote26 »

Just some numbers, Jackson and Gallia Academy have played 6 common opponents. Jackson is 6-0 versus those teams, with an average score of 44-15. Gallia Academy is 4-2 versus those teams, with an average score of 12-10. As good as Gallia Academy's defense is, I don't see them holding Jackson to that 10 point average. The most Gallia Academy has scored in those 6 games was 27 (vs. Warren), while the least Jackson has scored was 28 (vs. Ironton). I also don't see Jackson being able to run away with this one either. Too much at stake for both teams. I see this staying close at halftime, with Jackson pulling away late for a 35-21 win.

pappy1
Varsity

Post by pappy1 »

Last year Jackson neutralized the 'up the middle' strength of the GAHS defense with their offensive line splits. We never adjusted in that game.

Friday against WL we had a possesion that we over powered them running the ball, but when we were deep in the red zone we decided to throw wide and it ended up intercepted. It was run all the way for a TD that luckily was called back because of a penalty on the runback.

We need to have an answer for their wide splits going in, not trying to figure it out after the fact. We need to be ready to adjust to any other wrinkle they throw at us and before it is too late to matter. Offensively we need to keep pounding them when we get them back on their heels.

If we do those things it will be a great game and its hard to tell who will win.

Hoping for an injury free game for both teams as they finish the regular season.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I'm typically very hesitant to go all in on Jackson....but at home with our skill players I just can't see Jackson scoring fewer than 35 points.....only less if 2 turnovers or more.

Jackson is something like +16 on the year in turnovers.

Unless Jackson can't get a stop on defense I just see Jackson winning without too much concern.

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Post by WitnessProtection »

Jottings wrote:Jackson has won or shared 22 SEOAL football titles. Gallipolis has won or shared 16 league crowns.

Jaclson crowns.
Undisputed--1927, 1938, 1940, 1953, 1954, 1956, 1959,1961,1969,1996, 1997. 2010 and 2011.

Shared titles.
1929, 1932, 1939,1955,1980,1990,1992,1995,1998.
Gallipolis titles.
Undisputed.
Shared titles.
Conceding the 2011 SEOAL title to Jackson before the game?

Ironman61
Riding the Bench

Post by Ironman61 »

Um basically ... Jackson is the only seoal team with no league loss's so at worst were already co champs but i see an outright crowning in our future

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

When you look at comparative scores with common foes--Jackson is favored by 33 points in the Wellston game, 12 in the Ironton game, 28 against Logan, 12 vs. Warren, 29 against Chillicothe and 47 through the Portsmouth game.

Not conceding mind you, just looking at the facts.

pappy1
Varsity

Post by pappy1 »

Jottings wrote:When you look at comparative scores with common foes--Jackson is favored by 33 points in the Wellston game, 12 in the Ironton game, 28 against Logan, 12 vs. Warren, 29 against Chillicothe and 47 through the Portsmouth game.

Not conceding mind you, just looking at the facts.
As I have previously stated comparable scores do not take strengths and weaknesses into account. If you look through Jottings thread on GAHS opponents standings you can see many instances when you can throw out comparable scores. Many times rivalry games have strange results. Jackson could win by more than comparable scores indicate. They could also lose.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

superblue wrote:
Hey 02... We all wanted this match up in week 10 and here it is.... Playoff berths & league championship all on the line.... I heard Jackson is printing up some "Streak" shirts for after the game, any truth to that???....LOL... Jackson has to be the favorite in this match up, but favorites do not always win. Gallia has to find a way to put the ball in the end zone. Need to eliminate the turn overs & penalties to have a chance in this one.... We also need to improve on making in game adjustments... If we fail to make adjustments as the game plays out it will be a repeat of last year... I heard Gallia has petitioned OHSAA and trying to get another year of eligibility for DJ & JH and a few others for this game ....LOL..
Yep, this is the way it should be. Jackson vs. Gallia Academy with everything on the line. I'm guessing there will be no T-shirts made, regardless of the outcome. And I won't want Donnie or Jayme anywhere near Alumni Stadium on Friday night. Just their presence may make weird things start to happen. :)

Roadrunner
Freshman Team

Post by Roadrunner »

Good luck, ironmen. Hope you guys can clinch a home playoff game for week 11.

Buckeye-4-Life
JV Team

Post by Buckeye-4-Life »

I think this game will be a lot closer than the experts think. For Gallia this all or none scenario, they will want payback from last year. We will see how motivated Jackson really is to finish 10-0!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Motivation is great and all.....but gallia Academy will have to find a way to score.....14 is just flat out not going to do it.

Jackson looking to win it's 19th consecutive regular season game.....I believe that is 2nd all-time in JHS history. The one paper mentioned it being the longest....but they won 25 in a row back in the mid 50's.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

I have watched Gallia Academy twice this season. I was very impressed with their defense against Athens and Ironton. They have great size and they're very physical. They'll make it very tough for Jackson to run the ball between the tackles. I do think Jackson's overall speed and athleticism will pose problems for them though. As mentioned before, Jackson probably hasn't seen a defense as good as that of the Blue Devils, but GAHS also hasn't seen an offense with as many weapons as Jackson has.

Jackson's defense has given up several big plays this season, but at the same time, they haven't really allowed a team to methodically drive down the field on them, at least not consistently. Gallia Academy is certainly capable of making a big play, but looking at their results from the season, and watching them in person, they're clearly more of a "grind it out" offense. I think that plays to Jackson's advantage.

If the Gallia Academy defense can limit Jackson's offense, then this thing could go right down to the wire though. Limiting Osborne, Ervin, Landrum, and McNelly is much easier said than done, but I'm sure Coach Eddy and his staff will have a great game plan. You also must factor in the magnitude of the rivalry, the intensity with which both teams will play, and what is at stake as far as championships and playoffs. Should be very interesting to see how things play out.

On another note, it has been 15 years since White Jackets have been earned for an undefeated season at Jackson. In 113 seasons of Jackson football, there are 7 teams (that actually played a sizable schedule) that have been unbeaten. Of those, only four of them went 10-0. A piece of rare history is at stake for Jackson on Friday night. The SEOAL title and the playoffs are extremely important, but 10-0 immortalizes you forever. Gallia Academy would love nothing more than to ruin Jackson's bid for perfection. It's Senior Night at Alumni Stadium, Ironmen. Get it done. Get those White Jackets and take your place at the table of Jackson Football royalty!

JHS08
Waterboy

Post by JHS08 »

Dumb question, but what are the White Jackets. I've never heard of them before

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Undefeated teams at Jackson are presented with White letterman jackets. A special way to distinguish that you were part of a perfect football team.

GAHS83
JV Team

Post by GAHS83 »

Ironman92 wrote:Motivation is great and all.....but gallia Academy will have to find a way to score.....14 is just flat out not going to do it.
I hope you're wrong. I think GA scoring 20 points would be about the max they will get on offense and that might be generous. Any more than that I think would have to include a defensive score. I think the key is going to be how much they can grind it out running the ball and to control the clock and keep the ball away from all those weapons Jackson has on offense. The recipe for a Gallia win is to hold Jackson to less than 20 points and have a 3 to 1 advantage in time of possession. A tall order, but certainly within our capability. If we're going to win, I would envision the score being something like 20-17 or 17-14.

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

I might be totally crazy and the only one that thinks this but i don't think we have any idea what gallia academy's offense will look like this week. in watching games the last two weeks it has been obvious to me that we have purposely tried to build other threats into our offense other then Brandon Taylor. Not saying we weren't doing our best to win those games but it seemed to me those 2 offensive games were not about scoring a lot of points it was about trying different things. Establishing different weapons.

I thought the coaching staff have done an excellent job of game planning all year, we have just missed on the execution of some of those plans. I think gallia academy will be able to put up about 24 to 31 points in this ball game. The question is will that be enough. I think gallia will be able to have enough ball control to really shorten the game and make every possession a valued one. I think Jackson has to be favored in this game. i would not be shocked if Jackson put 60 on the board. i also will not be shocked if this game is like 17 to 17 deep into the 4th quarter. The one thing gallia academy has not been this year is blown out. Even if Jackson gets up 14 i don't think this team will panic.

The one thing that may haunt gallia is penalties. they can not let them kill drives or continue Jackson drives. This Blue Devil team is so different this last years team it is hard to compare. Good luck to both teams and up for an injury free game friday night. See you in jackson.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

^^^^^ agree gahs83

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Also agree with kc....I never thought St Charles would rack up so many yards and points....but we scored more on them better than any of their excellent opponents.

Time of possession won't do it if you don't get touchdowns and don't win the turnover battle.

pappy1
Varsity

Post by pappy1 »

kvnchambers........I am thinking that coach Eddy became so unhappy with our offense that he put his foot down and we went back to the wing-T. (Just my guess)
It is great to see that #10 doesn't have to do it all. It is a tribute to his toughness and warrior mentality that even though he has been dinged up most of the year, he has not been down and out.
We need to be less obvious about what is coming from our offense this week. I usually watch the game with GAHS83 and he calls a high percentage of our offensive plays before the ball is snapped. If he can do that I am sure the opposition coaches can too.

96stroker
JV Team

Post by 96stroker »

Thats going to b a tough task 83 but good luck to the academy and an injury free game for all Go red!!!!!!

Return to “Football”