Freshman Team

Re: Best team ever in Racine?

Post by Purple Gold »

I agree with KC.

Wings Teaford
Freshman Team

Post by Wings Teaford »

1983 we were 6-4. One of the few times we managed to win 6 games.

The Dog
Freshman Team

Post by The Dog »

I don't even think we had a team back in the late 70's early 80's. If we did I never heard anything about it. But with the players we had on the basketball teams those days we sure wulda been good in football iffen wed hada team. Wulda bin better than 6-4 I promise you that much is fer sure.

bluetraveler
Riding the Bench

Post by bluetraveler »

teams in the late 70's and 80"s would have been much better,but doing that time had a couple of basketball coachs who discouraged playing football.i had a couple of stepbrothers play basketball during this time and were told if they wanted to see playing time not to play football.One of them 6'6" and 240 and the other 6'4" 215 would have made a couple of good linemen or TE's.

joe hemsley
Waterboy

Post by joe hemsley »

I would cast my vote for a team from the late 1970's. The team was coached by Mr. Bill Jewell, a good football coach, assisted by Mr. Mick Winebrenner, another good coach. The team had a lot of seniors led by QB, Kelly Winebrenner(one of the best all-around athletes in the area), Martin Bush, Mark Forbes, Billy Ray Harris, Steve Hill, Danny Dudding, Scott Souder, Eric Dunning, and they started a freshmen center Dale Teaford, a good athlete in his own right. If my memory is correct a teachers strike cost them a league championship, due to the fact they could not play the game, possibly Kyger Creek. I remember the team practicing during the weeks of the strike at the Syracuse baseball field in the outfield to stay in shape. Coach Jewell had something good going on back then, some type of situation occurred and he left for MasonW. Va. He then proceded to continue his winning at Wahama. That team from Southern was big, loaded with seniors, had about 40 to 50 players, (enough to practice each night), would knock your block off and were well coached. They would have competed and probably beat any others teams from Southern.

Eaglepapaw
S

Post by Eaglepapaw »

joe hemsley wrote:I would cast my vote for a team from the late 1970's. The team was coached by Mr. Bill Jewell, a good football coach, assisted by Mr. Mick Winebrenner, another good coach. The team had a lot of seniors led by QB, Kelly Winebrenner(one of the best all-around athletes in the area), Martin Bush, Mark Forbes, Billy Ray Harris, Steve Hill, Danny Dudding, Scott Souder, Eric Dunning, and they started a freshmen center Dale Teaford, a good athlete in his own right. If my memory is correct a teachers strike cost them a league championship, due to the fact they could not play the game, possibly Kyger Creek. I remember the team practicing during the weeks of the strike at the Syracuse baseball field in the outfield to stay in shape. Coach Jewell had something good going on back then, some type of situation occurred and he left for MasonW. Va. He then proceded to continue his winning at Wahama. That team from Southern was big, loaded with seniors, had about 40 to 50 players, (enough to practice each night), would knock your block off and were well coached. They would have competed and probably beat any others teams from Southern.

Did a fellow named John West play on that team?

joe hemsley
Waterboy

Post by joe hemsley »

I believe he did, possibly a junior along with Ed Smith, Tom Allen, and Todd Roberts.

bluetraveler
Riding the Bench

Post by bluetraveler »

I don't know if this was the best team ever at SHS,but will without doubt state that Mr Bill Jewel was the best football coach ever at Southern.I remember him coaching at Wahama and IMO is the person responsible for bulding the foundation Wahama's football program is today.I also rember Bill Jewel playing in the Philidelphia Phillies organization as a big righthanded pitcher.

hardhitter ll
Varsity

Post by hardhitter ll »

mt11 wrote:We will win atleast 7 this year and one will be against your pitiful Tomkitty's. Here kitty kitty kittty. :122245

BIGGER FASTER STORNGER!

I would bet a lot that Southern will not win 7 games next year. But I guess it is great to dream. :lol:

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

mt11 shut up. If you want to win 7 games you might want to stop running your mouth. All you are doing is putting a target on your back.

Purple Gold
Freshman Team

Post by Purple Gold »

Maximus I was told that mt11 isn't Mike its some goob trying to piss everyone off.

I smell good
JV Team

Post by I smell good »

Well whoever it is they are doing a good job.

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

mt11 wrote:I dont car whu u think I am or whu I pi## off either for that matter I jus no I will be the best lineman Southern has ever had cause coach told me so if I work hard enough and kepp saying

BIGGER FASTER STORNGER!

whin I lift weights on eavery reps and sets and I dont do booby bumps either cause Smith dont coach no more.

Don't you mean Biger Feaster Stornger? That sounds German to me. What do others think? Maybe this kid is an exchange student from Europe? Maybe we had him all wrong?

bluetraveler
Riding the Bench

Post by bluetraveler »

No just Southern's spelling bee champ of 2008,he's really going after the repeat this year.

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

bluetraveler wrote:No just Southern's spelling bee champ of 2008,he's really going after the repeat this year.

^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wings Teaford
Freshman Team

Post by Wings Teaford »

mt11 wrote:I dont car whu u think I am or whu I pi## off either for that matter I jus no I will be the best lineman Southern has ever had cause coach told me so if I work hard enough and kepp saying

BIGGER FASTER STORNGER!

whin I lift weights on eavery reps and sets and I dont do booby bumps either cause Smith dont coach no more.

OK mikey T... save some of that passion for the weight room tomorrow. I am bringing bigger cattleballs in for the workout since you have worn out all the other ones.

oldmo31
Varsity

Post by oldmo31 »

The year singleton played was by far the best football they played.I think they beat Chesapeak and Symes.They gave EASTERN I THINK, their worst loss ever by a southern team.They had one heck of a kicker.The coach of that team was a guy that played his high school ball at EASTERN and later played college for the OU Bobcats.He needs to get back into coaching!!!!!!!!!!!!!.Mr. Dave Gaul.

Purple&Yellow Pride
Freshman Team

Post by Purple&Yellow Pride »

If Wings Teaford can get along well enough with Lemley, I expect 2007 to be SHS' best ever team. They have a cupcake schedule against the likes of hannan, green, and TRIMBLE. Lemley is the key as someone on another thread made a pretty good argument for Southern being a baseball school. Kids at SHS expect success in baseball moreso than any other sport. I believe Lemley has been the key to that mindset and in order for Wings to get it going, he needs Lemley on board with the offseason program.

I smell good
JV Team

Post by I smell good »

Are you talking about Coach Lemley?

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

Purple&Yellow Pride wrote:If Wings Teaford can get along well enough with Lemley, I expect 2007 to be SHS' best ever team. They have a cupcake schedule against the likes of hannan, green, and TRIMBLE. Lemley is the key as someone on another thread made a pretty good argument for Southern being a baseball school. Kids at SHS expect success in baseball moreso than any other sport. I believe Lemley has been the key to that mindset and in order for Wings to get it going, he needs Lemley on board with the offseason program.

Wow, putting Trimble in the same class as Hannan and Green? Is Trimble really that good? :lol:

Return to “Football”