Post by boogerred »

You are facing a team that runs the 5-5 defense

Here are the assignments by position
First Level:
TNT - all two gap
Ends - have conatin
Second Level
Both sides 1. Man to man on outside receiver; then run support
Both sides 2. Man to man on second receiver and run support if no #2 to his side
3. Man to man on third receiver and run support if no #3 to his side
Third Level
FS - centerfield and run support second

How do you attack this defense?

Winchell
JV Team

Re: How do you attack the 5-5 defense

Post by Winchell »

Are you referring to 5 under man? If so, I'm not accustomed to seeing it called the 5-5. Just wondering if it is the same.

Attack
Freshman Team

Post by Attack »

that's sounds like the "two level model." bill arnsparger co-authored a book about it.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

Marietta College used to run it, other than that I don't know who wrote books about it or what evrybody else calls it.

Attack
Freshman Team

Post by Attack »

is that what marietta called their defense when they had dante brown (i think was his name) running the ball? If so, I saw Ohio Northern have success throwing deep against it. The FS was a great run support guy, but did not cover the pass very well. At least not in that game. If that is the defense, it is not the one i referred to as "the two level model."

earp
S

Post by earp »

I agree with you Attack!I mean my god if they are going to stack the box like that go deep! :mrgreen:

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

Not necessarily stacking the box. The #1s have the widest man, man-to-man. Against a team that uses the tradition pro formation, it looks like a 5-3, or a 5-2 with a monster.

catscoachmac
Riding the Bench

Post by catscoachmac »

Very Interesting. I've never seen it ran, but if I'm understanding the description correctly it works with man to man principles. If so, I think I would try to spread it out, and then it becomes an issue of matchups--trying to get shifty backs/wr's on linebackers. At this point we're set up to run outside defenders off deep, while exploiting above mentioned matchups in the flats. Also, with one FS I would think overloading a side would pull him that direction, allowing for 1 on 1 seam routes on the backside. At first thought, I see it as a defense where you would set up your running game with the pass. Loosen up the D, then slash off tackle. I understand it to be a pinch responsibility by the 3 interior DL and outside contain by DE. So, 6/7 hole runs should get a person to the 2nd level.

Again, not familiar and am very interested to hear other attack ideas.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Hit em where they ain't!!!!!!!!! :122245 :122245

Isn't that where 2 of your LB are really extra safties?? :?

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

just depends on what kind of team you are facing.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

^^^^
Gotcha!!!!!!

I don't know anything about the 5-5. I would really like to learn about it though.
:122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

If you a decent QB and #1's test the man to man coverage. Most HS safeies can't help both corners on deep routes. Also lots of crossing routes.

Double team N amd T to one side, kick out the end with a BSG with the running game using a zone read look in the backfield to keep BSE at home..

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

I would use 2 TEs along with play action. just dink and dunk on em. Maybe run a little misdirection at them to. :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245

JabbatheDel
Riding the Bench

Post by JabbatheDel »

Foot-to-foot splits and Maryland I!!!

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

A good way to attack this defense (besides spreading them out) is get into the T, Wish Bone, or Power I and run a Wedge play through the 6-7 hole. Have your end push the defense end out and let the fullback and half back lead through and pick up the outside backer and the corner. The only man to beat if executed right is the safety. An old-school, but effective way to run right at them. After that works a few times you can run a keeper off that play.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Thats exactly what is, its common around here, We saw that defense several times this year. A lot of depends on your running backs. Alot of times your back will probably get hit close to 2 yards past the line of scrimmage, if your backs can break arm tackles and carry smaller corners and outside linebackers, it doesn't matter how you run. But Imo, off-tackle is the best way to attack this defense.

Bozworth
Waterboy

Post by Bozworth »

put your offense in the spread and go with a quick long pass. make sure you lead the reciever a little bit so he can get the pass and it doesnt become picked off.

bucksfan08
Freshman Team

Post by bucksfan08 »

i would say, spread it out and go play action pass with them, or, spread it out in a 4 wide look single back and run the option.that way if you have an option QB who can throw as well you have play action out of it. Pull a guard out into the flat area and protect.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

put your qb in shotgun and spread them out. use quick passes to get the defence thinking then when they adjust run the ball. keep the defence coord. thinking.

91Buckeye
Varsity

Post by 91Buckeye »

You see this defense quite a bit in jr high around here. Off tackle running game is usually pretty effective, then hit the play action post once you have the FS selling out to stop the run. Should be over by halftime. :122249

Return to “Football”